5.0 out of 5 stars One of Roberts' very best!
Published on 30 Jan. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not the best
Published on 8 Dec. 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Roberts' very best!, 30 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
Sweet Revenge is quite simply magnificent! I read it years ago and was thrilled when it was re-released. I don't much care for thieves, but Nora has a way -- in this book, in her earlier one, Hot Ice, and in her later one, Honest Illusions -- of making thieves truly honorable... quite a feat in my opinion since I think "honor among thieves" is an oxymoron!
The plot, showing Adrianne's past and how it has molded her present, is fabulous. I loved Jaquir and I enjoyed my visit there. :-) I especially loved Adrianne and Philip's wedding... beautiful! The secondary characters were not mere foils but truly contributed to the story. Abdu was thoroughly reprehensible; Celeste, strong and loving; Mary, wise; and Phoebe, sweet and surprisingly dynamic in her struggle with mental illness.
This is a once-in-a-lifetime story. Savor it because not many books of this magnitude come along. Take a bow, Nora!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but . . ., 28 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
Adrianne, daughter of a fabled Hollywood beauty and an equally fabled Arab King, leads a remarkable double life. The gossip columnists know her as a modern princess. No one knows her as The Shadow, the most extraordinary jewel thief of the decade. She has a secret ambition to carry out the ultimate robbery - a spectacular plan to even a bitter score. The Shadow is intent on justice and sweet revenge. Her secret was her own . . . until Philip, once a renowned thief himself, now the smartest, toughest cop on Interpol's team, closes in for the kill. His only mistake is to fall under Adrianne's seductive spell.
I could not give this book 5 stars, though I thoroughly enjoyed it, because a know a great deal about Muslim life and their culture and, although I allow for the fact that the book was written 10 years ago, Roberts portrayed the Islamic way of life with many inaccuracies. In short it was a completely western way of looking at their culture. However, the relationships between Addy and Philip, and Addy and her mother, were very touching and the storyline was brill. Roberts once again showed her wonderful ability to see and understand her characters souls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set a thief to catch a thief, 13 Mar. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Sweet Revenge (Paperback)
Nora Roberts' story is told with a sublime coctail of verve, imagination and the heart warming dash of humour that is her trademark. Romantic suspense at its very best.
Princess Adrianne is the captivating darling of the international jet set. The daughter of a fabulously wealthy Arab playboy prince and a glamorous Hollywood movie star who gave up her career for love, she flits around the world in a glittering social whirl under the full glare of the paparazzi.
Nobody suspects the double life she has led since the age of sixteen, motivated first by sheer desperation but later by the need to exact a very special kind of revenge for the heartbreak and cruelty her mother endured at the hands of her father years ago.
Philip Chamberlain, once the most brilliant and daring jewel thief of them all and now turned advisor to Interpol, is sent to bring to justice a thief known only as the Shadow. This thief, whose robberies are executed with such audacity and panache that they rival even his legendary exploits, arouses the hunter in him and he is determined to find out who is cutting a swathe through the cream of society without leaving a single clue.
As Adrianne moves towards the culmination of her goals so Philip moves relentlessly ever closer to exposing the identity of the Shadow and threatens to bring her plans to nothing.
Time is of the essence and she will not allow herself to be diverted from the path that she has set herself but passion, like danger, has an allure all of its own...

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Romantic Book Out of Ten, 9 Feb. 1999
By A Customer
I made one little comment to my sister about enjoying romance novels, and she pulled ten of her favorite "must read" romance novels off of her bookshelf and handed them all to me. Since I was on my summer break, and I had nothing better to do with my time, I read through all of them. This was the last one I got around to reading. While there had been some I'd enjoyed more than others, I thought that in general, by this time, I knew the formula for all romance novels, and that if you'd read one, you'd read them all. But while this did stick to the general formula, it added a chemistry to the relationship of the characters that none of the other books had had. More than in any of the other romance novels, I could tell the two characters in this book were really meant for one another and hadn't just ended up together by chance. I just couldn't help but be swept away by the way the two of them understood one another.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but not the best, 8 Dec. 1998
By A Customer
Sweet Revenge was prabably my 20th Nora Roberts novel. I am a true fan but I find that while the book was entertaining it was also very predictiable and seems that it was modeled after countless other contemperary romances. This novel reminds me of another Nora Roberts novel that is much better - Honest Illusions, truely the best she's ever written and also my first Roberts book. If you enjoy stories with cat burglers with a touch of romance you really should read If Tommorrow Comes- by Sidney Shelden, truly in my opinion the best in it's class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance and revenge!!!!!, 13 April 1999
By A Customer
When i first read it in 1995 i didn`t liked the book, but it was very boring on the train so i finished it and in the end i liked it very much and i have read it many times since then.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of old tosh!, 29 April 2009
Adrianne Spring, beautiful daughter of Hollywood movie star Phoebe Spring and the King of Jaquir, inexplicably becomes a Pink Panther-esque jewel thief. Her goal is to steal a priceless antique necklace given to her mother on her wedding day, but cruelly taken back by the evil King when she could not give him a male heir. Adrianne meets Phillip Chamberlain, ex jewel thief turncoat now working for Interpol, and falls in love. Can Phillip persuade Adrianne not to carry out her dangerous quest for revenge?!

Flimsy plot. Littered with typos. Clumsy portrayals of passages of time. Ignorant Western view of the Muslim world. Stupid name for a necklace. Two dimensional, soap-opera style characters with an evil Omar Sharif type King...you can almost picture him twirling a black moustache while tying the poor white woman to a railway line.

Ridiculous. Utter tosh.

5.0 out of 5 stars REVENGE IS SWEET!, 7 July 1997
By A Customer
AS USUAL, NORA ROBERTS COMES THROUGH. THERE'S NOTHING LIKE A STORY OF REVENGE, ADDED WITH GREAT CHARACTERS AND GREAT ROMANCE--IT'S A WINNER!

1.0 out of 5 stars One of her weakest books, 7 Nov. 2007
handstands "jazzypom" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The idea is inplausible, and the characters are forgetable.

It's a book that you'd forget as soon as you put down. I do find that when Ms. Roberts writes about characters and cultures that aren't European, her style suffers as a result.

It's one of the few books by her that I'd never reread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read, 13 July 2009
Mrs. P. J. Cain "Pam Cain" (Telford UK) - See all my reviews
I love Nora Roberts but this has to be the best I've read so far and I've read a lot. This book has everything, romance, mystery, intrigue. I didn't want this book to end.
If you're new to Nora Roberts read this and you'll be hooked.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›