4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Lady Audley's Secret...
Published on 1 Aug. 2000 by ianbrown8

3.0 out of 5 stars Alas not Lady Audley
Published 10 months ago by Spidernick

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked Lady Audley's Secret..., 1 Aug. 2000
To modern eyes, as with Braddon's other cracking bestseller, Lady Audley's Secret, the plot revelations may seem a bit transparent, but to the contemporary readers of a genre which was self-consciously pushing back the boundaries of what could be incorporated into literature, there must have been a guilty tension between what they imagined in their heads and what they scarcely dared to imagine could be set down on the page. A thoroughly gripping read, rich in mid-Victorian domestic and social detail, with Braddon equally adept at comedy, suspense and melodrama. (Presumably George Eliot was an admirer, since she used the name of one of the heroes, Bulstrode, for a character in Middlemarch, a decade later.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Could Be Lady Mellish's Secret?, 15 Nov. 2009
Simon Savidge Reads "Simon" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Aurora Floyd confused me slightly at the start until I realised the opening chapter wasn't actually about our heroine, though whether that's a justifiable label for her is debatable during the book, and is in fact about her mother. Once the tale of Aurora herself starts we head into sensation territory with a big secret that Aurora carries. Now though the blurb on the back of the book gives everything away, I don't want to. Suffice to say that once happily married, after quite a turbulent set of proposals and suitors, the past comes back to haunt Aurora as she nestles happily married to John Mellish, a character I adored. What the blurb doesn't give away is though the secret becomes revealed a murder takes place leaving a wonderful whodunit suddenly and the whole feel of the book changes once more.

I will admit that I did struggle with this book to start of. Whilst by the end I understood the need for Aurora's heritage to be shown, at the beginning it seemed an irrelevant chapter and I wont lie it did throw me into a small confusion, in fact the first few chapters did as everything gets set up very quickly before a hundred and fifty pages of gentle hinting and romantic interludes which didn't thrill me. It was the last 170 pages or so that made the wait worthwhile as the twists and turns I wasn't expecting suddenly came to light. Ok so the plot isnt too far from Lady Audley's Secret but I loved the characters both good and bad in this book so very much. If you like Victoriana, melodrama, classics and sensation novels then this is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars real drama and excitement, 29 July 2009
Anthony Luke (London) - See all my reviews
Aurora Floyd is a novel that has everything; drama, crime and implicit sexual shenanigans. Mary Braddon draws clear and perceptive characters and shows them in sharp and vibrant action. Over many years I have found that I can read this book again and again and still enjoy the description of some truly diverse characters each with his or her own story to tell. A wonderful book with delightfully fulsome yet clear narrative which insists that you turn over the page to see what happens next. This is
a splendid novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Favourite, 4 Dec. 2007
Alys Crowley (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This is one of my very favourite novels. I've read it over and over again, and sometimes I just dip into it for pleasure. The characters almost walk off the pages, and it's a wonderful period piece if you are keen on Victoriana.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent "sensation novel", 4 Jan. 2013
Arthur (Wareham Dorset) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed this book and found it a real page turner. The story is about a rich young woman who is unwise enough to marry a fortune hunter. They separate and then she reads a newspaper report that he is dead. She remarries, and then he returns to blackmail her.... The book offers an interesting glimpse into a vanished Victorian world, and is full of interesting details. very good reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Alas not Lady Audley, 27 April 2014
Spidernick (Fareham, Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aurora Floyd (Kindle Edition)
'Lady Audley's Secret' is one of my favourite novels of all time and I couldn't put it down (it ranks up there with 'The Woman in White' for the best examples of 'sensationalist' fiction). Unfortunately I found this book a real struggle to get through and, in terms of disappointment, this is up there with watching Alien 3 and the Matrix sequels after excellent earlier experiences. I'm glad that other people liked it, but it was a real let down for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping novel, 4 Aug. 2013
This book has it all; Love, Deceipt, Lies, Envy, Treachery, Intrigue, Loyalty, Murder even.
I thoroughly recommend it, a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Braddon could write, 12 April 2013
Russell James (Gloucestetrshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Despite occasional lapses into 'correct' Victorian sensibilities Braddon can usually be relied upon to deliver a good story, with (for the most part) strong female characters - even if they have to have some sort of comeuppance in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 23 Nov. 2014
I am still reading this book and I love it, I cant wait to read more of Mary Elizabeth Braddens books

5.0 out of 5 stars exciting novel, 19 Dec. 2012
C. L. Muralidharan "MURALI CLM" (MADRAS , INDIA) - See all my reviews
The author had done full justice to the novel and whetted the appetite of the Victorian readers who had an insatiable appetite for reading sensational novels. I admire the versatility of the writer who had ably managed to keep the suspense in dark until I read over 200 pages of the novel. This ability of the novelist must have gained her wide popularity in reading circles who were affiliated to circulating libraries of England and who avidly devoured the contents of crime literature. I give full marks to the novel

c l muralidharan madras india

Aurora Floyd