4.0 out of 5 stars User-replaceable batteries!
Sonicare or Oral-B? I've used both brands over the years. It's hard to choose between them but this is certainly an excellent brush.

Published 2 months ago by Mr Gumby

3.0 out of 5 stars A good toothbrush, but not the best value option.
I've used several Philips Sonicare toothbrushes over the years and find them one of the best electrical toothbrushes I've used. This particular model is the most basic one I've used. There are no bells or whistles at all. You get a mini charging base the toothbrush handle and one (large) toothbrush head.

There is an on off button and a light that is used to...
Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars User-replaceable batteries!, 2 Aug 2014
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6511/44 EasyClean Sensitive Rechargeable Toothbrush (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I'm using three electric brushes at the moment - Oral-B Triumph 5000, Oral-B Sonic and this Sonicare, alternating between them. I reckon it's worth using two (or more) different types, if you don't mind the outlay, so that your teeth benefit from two different actions and brush heads every day. It won't cost any more, in the long run, because with half the normal use the brushes and heads last twice as long.

All three brushes have their strengths and weaknesses and I don't have a strong preference.

The good things about this one are:

* Pleasant to use and to good effect, with a nice, gentle action (I wouldn't like to say whether the soft brush heads do a better or worse job than stiffer ones)
* The battery is replaceable! That gives it a huge advantage over Oral-B units that tend to need replacing every few years when the batteries die.

Not so good:

* Only one brush head supplied (same applies to current Oral-Bs, I believe)
* No Oral-B-style coloured rings to differentiate between heads, if more than one person uses the brush
* Bulkier than some and not very stable on its light-weight base
* Annoyingly switches off after two minutes - if you're not quite finished and want longer, you have to switch it back on
* No travel case

That sounds like quite a few negatives but they're fairly trivial. Given the 28-day satisfaction guarantee from Philips, you have little to lose by trying the brush, and that's what I'd recommend, if you think it might be the right one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great clean and superb battery life - a winner!, 20 Aug 2014
R. WEST-SOLEY "Rich West-Soley" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a few Sonicare brushes, all excellent, and this is no exception. This is a cut-down version of their very high-end range, but to be honest, the no-frills approach is sometimes the best in a product like this. There's minimal technical fuss - a simple, effective 2-minute timer and a good, strong default mode of 31,000 spm.

As with other Sonicares, it gives a great, deep clean (although if it's your first electric toothbrush, you'll appreciate the easy start setting!). The sensitive brush heads are a nice touch, although I can't really tell the difference between them and a standard head.

What is remarkable about this model is the battery life - a full charge sets you up for a good couple of weeks at least, perfect if you're going on holiday or travel frequently. All electric toothbrushes will give your mouth a decent clean - but where this one wins is in the practical implications of that super battery.

No hesitation in recommending this - another hit from Philips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Sensitive Teeth, 29 July 2014
C. M. Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Oral B toothbrushes for the last 15 years. I have had two Triumph models and my current toothbrush is a TriZone Triumph, I bought for £35 on a Amazon Lightening Deal in December. An Oral B brush is a rather mechanical type of brush action, compared to the drill like sensation of a sonic type brush. I have tested both types for the Vine and am starting to come down on the side of sonic brushes for their superior cleaning ability.

The quality of the other Phillips toothbrushes I have tried has been exceptional. This is the least expensive Sonic brush they make and quite frankly it shows. This is quite a lightweight brush that felt very flimsy and made from what appears to be mediocre quality plastic. The brush has minimal technology included, but it is made for sensitive teeth. This means that when you start using the brush, the vibration is quite low and over the space of the first two weeks, it builds upto the maximum vibration speed of 31,000 strokes a minute. Phillips claims that it then cleans, twice as well as a manual brush. This is in stark contrast to the Phillips Diamond Clean brush that has the same 31,000 strokes but cleans 7 times better than a manual toothbrush. This difference is because this brush is aimed for the sensitive teeth market, and so focuses on less drill like sensation and so I can only presume cleans less well because of this.

I have so say, I prefer the quality, style, feel in mouth and quality of the clean, of a Philips Sonicare diamond brush over this product. The Diamond Clean does its job very well, but may not be good if you have very sensitive teeth. Overall this is a good toothbrush at the bottom of the Phillips price scale, which cleans teeth for almost two weeks on one charge..

So how does the brush do in cleaning teeth? As already indicated I have been an Oral B fan for years. There is no doubt that an electric brush cleans better than a hand held one. As already stated the action of this brush is a bit less intrusive and so feels as if the mouth is not as clean as when using the Diamond Clean. This is the price you pay for buying a sensitive toothbrush. This brush is good, but it is merely a growing personal preference for the better sonic action of the Phillips Diamond Clean, that stops me from giving it 5 stars.

Overall this is a good, reasonably well made brush. It does what it says on the box. I am happy to recommend this product, but prefer another Phillips Sonic brush over this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentler and better clean than an Oral-B, 24 July 2014
Mr. Stephen Redman (York England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On opening the box there is simply a charger, the rechargeable toothbrush unit and one head. A warranty card and instruction leaflet complete the package. Having used a Braun/Oral-B unit for a few years, and ben very happy with it, I felt a little hesitant to try something different.
The higher pitch sound coming from this then a Braun, made me even more cautious as at times I felt the sound wave in my mouth might hake out a filling!
I have persisted 3 times a day for a eek now and no longer want to go back to my Braun. Why? Well, here are the 2 simple differences which make me prefer the Philips (1) the brush is of a totally different design. Not round like an Oral-B but much more like a traditional tooth brush, these Philips heads are SOFT. When I had a manual brush I always bought a soft Oral-B 40, and this brush is similar. It doesn't abrade the gum as easily, and is gentler on the teeth. The speed and vibration of the brush cleans the teeth - not the stiffness of the bristles. My mouth feels cleaner with this brush.
(2) the vibration - the tone emitted by this brush seems to be much higher than the Braun, you actually feel that the sound is part of the cleaning process.
A final point is that as well as a change in pitch every 30 seconds that helps you gauge when to change which part of your mouth you are brushing, the unit actually powers down after 2 minutes.
I am pleasantly surprised with this toothbrush and hope to get years of service from it! Well done Philips!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tingle fresh!, 21 Aug 2014
A. B. Mcmullon "Skypilot" (Sedbergh, Cumbria) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a rechargeable electric toothbrush for a while and like the praise I get from my dentist for a 'good brushing routine' that this has engendered with the 2 minute timer. I had dismissed sonic products as a bit of a gimick until Amazon Vine gave me this one to try and review. I am amazed at the difference.

OK, the Sonic tingle took a little getting used to (in fact initially it made me gag a bit - too much information?) but I persevered and got used to it. Once it was fully 'ramped up' (apparently it starts off slower than normal and only gives you the full effect sonic clean after a few uses - though I didn't notice this effect, which probably means they have the 'ramping up' right!) I even started to enjoy the feel of it. The tingle effect does make your mouth feel cleaner and I know from working in a lab that sonic cleaning is very effective.

I still have my mechanical electric toothbrush and use that as well but if I had to choose I would certainly go over 100% to this sonic product.

One final thought. If you do get one of these the replacement heads are rather expensive, but that is true for almost all electric toothbrushes. You can save old heads (just put a bit of tape round them!) and your toothbrush can then be used as a great little cleaner for round the bathroom taps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, sensitive, and still a clean feel, 2 Sep 2014
The Honest Cynic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Over the past few years Sonicare has become the toothbrush of choice in our family. It seems no matter what the model (there's currently about five in the range offering different degrees of 'cleanliness') you will still end up with the post-dentist appointment feel of cleanliness - at least if you're like me and you use one toothbrush for home and one (non electric) for late starts at work!

Sonicares, however, can be quite aggressive. The models with the extra-super-deep-clean vibrate so fast they shake your pea-sized amount of toothpaste right off the bristles. The result is nothing on the brush and a sink full of toothpaste cuckoo spit and irritated gums, beside the manufacturer's good intentions of good dental health.

As a lower-end entrant into the Sonicare range, however, the EasyClean Sensitive is nice! The soft bristles mean your teeth feel lickably clean without your gums feeling assaulted. Remember that these toothbrushes use ultrasonic technology which feels foreign to your dentals first time; with a little light pressure to your teeth will get them scrubbed up nicely so long as you brush within the two minute session for each quarter of your mouth (30 seconds each) to get a good frothy foam going and keep your mouth reasonably closed or your lose your toothpaste to the sink and you have to start again!

There's nothing too flattering about this model's design or features compared to the rest in its range (except the charging dock, which is cool - and battery life is sufficient enough you could take it on holiday) - no deep clean settings yet manages a quoted 31,000 brush strokes a minute, but its still a damn good clean.

A consumer reminder however: You get spare heads in the box, sure. But Sonicare charger heads aren't cheap as you buy them in packets of 3 or more (so around £20 a refill). Each brush will wear down in colour to let you know it needs replacing after around three or so months, but be savvy and buy yours and the replacement heads when they're on sale.

We're also stuck in a world where Philips assume all our bathrooms are equipped with European shaver sockets, so unless you intend on charging on a long train journey or on monthly continental trips, get a European to GB adaptor so it fits our three pin sockets!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good toothbrush, but not the best value option., 8 Aug 2014
Amazon Customer (Newcastle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

There is an on off button and a light that is used to indicate remaining battery charge and if the unit is charging.

It is a good toothbrush, although given the current £90 price tag I was a little underwhelmed by the features. At the very least I would have expected a couple of power settings for more sensitive teeth/gums. I also found compared to my previous model (Philips Sonicare HX6972/10) the unit felt slightly weaker.

Also worth noting my previous model is currently retailing at £99 on Amazon, for the extra £9 you're getting a UV disinfecting unit which holds (and disinfects) two heads, and the unit has 5 different teeth cleaning settings for personal comfort. So getting so much less for the sake of £9 is quite disappointing.

One thing to mention for people who aren't used to a sonic toothbrush, it does feel quite strange the first several days and takes some getting used to. This is the one feature this model has, there is a EasyStart setting, which means the toothbrush gradually increases to full power over the first 14 uses, helping the new user to break in gently. The feature can be turned off for those already used to sonic cleaning.

In all, nice toothbrush and Philips are a good reliable make form my personal experience, but I'd recommend spending another few pounds to get the better model.

5.0 out of 5 stars She feels the cleaning that the Sonicare is giving is far superior. Moving from the rotating head of the Oral ..., 13 Sep 2014
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My other half has been a long term user of an Oral B 4729. Battery life was down to 4 days and it was time to do something about it. Given the opportunity, I got her the Sonicare to see if her opinion matched that of mine when jumping ship from Oral B to Philips.
Simply, yes it has. She feels the cleaning that the Sonicare is giving is far superior. Moving from the rotating head of the Oral B to the vibrating method employed by the Sonicare has been a pleasant surprise for her. The less aggressive movement hasn't meant less cleaning either as she feels her teeth feel much smoother now.
Battery life is crazy, weighing in at 5 weeks with two or three times a day usage. No doubt, this life span will detract with usage but at the moment, it's remarkable.
It's an entry level Sonicare but is still a well worth purchase.
I would recommend purchasing the InterCare heads instead of those supplied as these are far superior on cleaning (again) and have a greater longevity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toothbrush and great value, 25 Aug 2014
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a big fan of the Sonicare toothbrushes. I have the Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer, which is the best toothbrush I've ever had, but it is a bit pricey. I was delighted to get the chance to review this model, which I thought I would keep as my travel toothbrush. This brush has none of the bells and whistles of the Platinum model - there is one standard cleaning mode, one speed and it comes with a travel type charger and just one sensitive brush head. It has all the great sonicate technology when it comes to the brushing experience though, and many of us only use one mode day in day out anyhow. This toothbrush builds in power over its first 14 uses so that you can get used to the sonic vibration. There is no way of reducing this if you are already accustomed to it.

I am delighted with the toothbrush which does a great job and which delivers good value for money - especially when it is on offer, which it is at the moment. I have removed one star simply because of the plaque removal between teeth is only 2X manual brushing. If you can afford it then I'd recommend the Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer

Pros
+ Design is good - though the travel type charger is not as robust to use as other Sonicare chargers and the brush itself
+ Charge holds for 3 weeks
+ Sensitive brush head (which is supposed to be 25% softer than the ProResults model and certainly feels softer) but you can use up any from previous models too and this has reminder bristles to remind you to change the brush head
+ Good for those with braces or dental restorations
+ 2 minute tracker time with 30 second pacer to remind you to move on to the next section of your mouth
+ 31,000 brush strokes per minute
+ removable battery

Cons
- My sonicare platinum toothbrush does clean better. This claims 2X better than manual for plaque removal whereas the platinum claims 7X

Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Tickling the ivories, 24 Aug 2014
B. Ritchie (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Blame it on the "grab it quick, only 2 left!" reaction on Vine-day: this is my second review of pretty much the same toothbrush. In the rush to get it before it was gone, I thought it was a different model, and thought it would be interesting to compare the two. However, the only difference is that this one came with a "sensitive" brush head (whereas its predecessor came with a standard "diamond" head). Then again, the first one actually went to my wife, whose need was greater than mine, and the first review is really her experience with it. Now it's my turn.

Her need was greater than mine because her Braun Oral-B was giving up the ghost - needing frequent recharges, and quickly fading. So the first Vine model had to go to her. My slightly newer Oral-B was doing better, but she was so impressed by the Sonicare that I was keen to get one for myself. And Vine obliged...

I couldn't say I noticed the alleged gradual power-up over the first 14 uses. The first time I used it was quite a shock - the tickling sensation of the vibration was almost too much! I still find it a little too intense at the start, but soon get used to it. The frequency is much higher than the Oral-B. Every 30 seconds, the pitch goes up briefly (by something like a fifth) to suggest shifting to another quadrant; when the recommended 2 minutes are up, it simply stops dead, which is another shock. (The Oral-B pulses at 30-second intervals, pulsing 4 times at the end of 2 minutes, but then it keeps going.) Of course, I could simply turn it on again.

Afterwards, my teeth feel lovely and clean, far more so than with my old brush. (But to be fair to the old brush, perhaps I didn't change its head as often as I should have.)

It doesn't half make me drool! I've already sent a couple of T-shirts into the washing basket before their time! Definitely a mouth-closed and topless kind of toothbrush :-)

Battery life: I charged it up overnight on arrival, some 3 or 4 weeks ago. I'd love to report on how it behaves as it runs down towards a recharge, but so far it's shown no signs of fading yet. Apparently there's no harm in leaving it on the charge-stand all the time, and my wife charges hers every week; but I'm keen to see what happens when it does run low. Just no sign of it yet! (Update: after some 3 weeks' use (twice daily), the light flashed when it reached the end of a cycle. I think that means it was down to 20% charge. I opted to recharge it at this point, rather than wait longer to see if it also started beeping. I'll probably charge it up every couple of weeks from now on.)

Two significant negative points: firstly, it is quite expensive - it's only a toothbrush, after all; and secondly, the replacement heads seem to be both quite hard to get, and again rather expensive compared to Oral-B heads. At the moment, 20 pounds for four sensitive heads seems the best deal; I've yet to find the diamond heads at a price I'm willing to pay. (There are non-Philips heads around, but they're *suspiciously* cheap, and I'm not sure I want to risk them!) So until my wife replaces her original diamond head with one of the sensitive heads, we won't be in a position to compare them.