4.0 out of 5 stars Tickling the ivories
Published 7 months ago by B. Ritchie

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing
Let me start by saying that as soon as I heard about the Sonicare toothbrush range years ago I wanted one. I finally saw this and decided to go for it as my old Oral B was a little long in the tooth (pun intended).

Lets start with the positive.
- It looks great
- Its physically a very well put together piece of equipment
- The battery lasts a...
Published 2 months ago by Chris

4.0 out of 5 stars Tickling the ivories, 24 Aug. 2014
B. Ritchie (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX6511/44 EasyClean Sensitive Rechargeable Toothbrush (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Blame it on the "grab it quick, only 2 left!" reaction on Vine-day: this is my second review of pretty much the same toothbrush. In the rush to get it before it was gone, I thought it was a different model, and thought it would be interesting to compare the two. However, the only difference is that this one came with a "sensitive" brush head (whereas its predecessor came with a standard "diamond" head). Then again, the first one actually went to my wife, whose need was greater than mine, and the first review is really her experience with it. Now it's my turn.

Her need was greater than mine because her Braun Oral-B was giving up the ghost - needing frequent recharges, and quickly fading. So the first Vine model had to go to her. My slightly newer Oral-B was doing better, but she was so impressed by the Sonicare that I was keen to get one for myself. And Vine obliged...

I couldn't say I noticed the alleged gradual power-up over the first 14 uses. The first time I used it was quite a shock - the tickling sensation of the vibration was almost too much! I still find it a little too intense at the start, but soon get used to it. The frequency is much higher than the Oral-B. Every 30 seconds, the pitch goes up briefly (by something like a fifth) to suggest shifting to another quadrant; when the recommended 2 minutes are up, it simply stops dead, which is another shock. (The Oral-B pulses at 30-second intervals, pulsing 4 times at the end of 2 minutes, but then it keeps going.) Of course, I could simply turn it on again.

Afterwards, my teeth feel lovely and clean, far more so than with my old brush. (But to be fair to the old brush, perhaps I didn't change its head as often as I should have.)

It doesn't half make me drool! I've already sent a couple of T-shirts into the washing basket before their time! Definitely a mouth-closed and topless kind of toothbrush :-)

Battery life: I charged it up overnight on arrival, some 3 or 4 weeks ago. I'd love to report on how it behaves as it runs down towards a recharge, but so far it's shown no signs of fading yet. Apparently there's no harm in leaving it on the charge-stand all the time, and my wife charges hers every week; but I'm keen to see what happens when it does run low. Just no sign of it yet! (Update: after some 3 weeks' use (twice daily), the light flashed when it reached the end of a cycle. I think that means it was down to 20% charge. I opted to recharge it at this point, rather than wait longer to see if it also started beeping. I'll probably charge it up every couple of weeks from now on.)

Two significant negative points: firstly, it is quite expensive - it's only a toothbrush, after all; and secondly, the replacement heads seem to be both quite hard to get, and again rather expensive compared to Oral-B heads. At the moment, 20 pounds for four sensitive heads seems the best deal; I've yet to find the diamond heads at a price I'm willing to pay. (There are non-Philips heads around, but they're *suspiciously* cheap, and I'm not sure I want to risk them!) So until my wife replaces her original diamond head with one of the sensitive heads, we won't be in a position to compare them.

4.0 out of 5 stars User-replaceable batteries!, 2 Aug. 2014
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Sonicare or Oral-B? I've used both brands over the years. It's hard to choose between them but this is certainly an excellent brush.

I'm using three electric brushes at the moment - Oral-B Triumph 5000, Oral-B Sonic and this Sonicare, alternating between them. I reckon it's worth using two (or more) different types, if you don't mind the outlay, so that your teeth benefit from two different actions and brush heads every day. It won't cost any more, in the long run, because with half the normal use the brushes and heads last twice as long.

All three brushes have their strengths and weaknesses and I don't have a strong preference.

The good things about this one are:

* Pleasant to use and to good effect, with a nice, gentle action (I wouldn't like to say whether the soft brush heads do a better or worse job than stiffer ones)
* The battery is replaceable! That gives it a huge advantage over Oral-B units that tend to need replacing every few years when the batteries die.

Not so good:

* Only one brush head supplied (same applies to current Oral-Bs, I believe)
* No Oral-B-style coloured rings to differentiate between heads, if more than one person uses the brush
* Bulkier than some and not very stable on its light-weight base
* Annoyingly switches off after two minutes - if you're not quite finished and want longer, you have to switch it back on
* No travel case

That sounds like quite a few negatives but they're fairly trivial. Given the 28-day satisfaction guarantee from Philips, you have little to lose by trying the brush, and that's what I'd recommend, if you think it might be the right one for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toothbrush and good value, 25 Aug. 2014
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am a big fan of the Sonicare toothbrushes. I have the Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer, which is the best toothbrush I've ever had, but it is a bit pricey. I was delighted to get the chance to review this model, which I thought I would keep as my travel toothbrush. This brush has none of the bells and whistles of the Platinum model - there is one standard cleaning mode, one speed and it comes with a travel type charger and just one sensitive brush head. It has all the great sonicate technology when it comes to the brushing experience though, and many of us only use one mode day in day out anyhow. This toothbrush builds in power over its first 14 uses so that you can get used to the sonic vibration. There is no way of reducing this if you are already accustomed to it.

I am delighted with the toothbrush which does a great job and which delivers good value for money - especially when it is on offer, which it is at the moment. I have removed one star simply because of the plaque removal between teeth is only 2X manual brushing. If you can afford it then I'd recommend the Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer

Pros
+ Design is good - though the travel type charger is not as robust to use as other Sonicare chargers and the brush itself
+ Charge holds for 3 weeks
+ Sensitive brush head (which is supposed to be 25% softer than the ProResults model and certainly feels softer) but you can use up any from previous models too and this has reminder bristles to remind you to change the brush head
+ Good for those with braces or dental restorations
+ 2 minute tracker time with 30 second pacer to remind you to move on to the next section of your mouth
+ 31,000 brush strokes per minute
+ removable battery

Cons
- My sonicare platinum toothbrush does clean better. This claims 2X better than manual for plaque removal whereas the platinum claims 7X

Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Sensitive Teeth, 29 July 2014
C M Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been using Oral B toothbrushes for the last 15 years. I have had two Triumph models and my current toothbrush is a TriZone Triumph, I bought for £35 on a Amazon Lightening Deal in December. An Oral B brush is a rather mechanical type of brush action, compared to the drill like sensation of a sonic type brush. I have tested both types for the Vine and am starting to come down on the side of sonic brushes for their superior cleaning ability.

The quality of the other Phillips toothbrushes I have tried has been exceptional. This is the least expensive Sonic brush they make and quite frankly it shows. This is quite a lightweight brush that felt very flimsy and made from what appears to be mediocre quality plastic. The brush has minimal technology included, but it is made for sensitive teeth. This means that when you start using the brush, the vibration is quite low and over the space of the first two weeks, it builds upto the maximum vibration speed of 31,000 strokes a minute. Phillips claims that it then cleans, twice as well as a manual brush. This is in stark contrast to the Phillips Diamond Clean brush that has the same 31,000 strokes but cleans 7 times better than a manual toothbrush. This difference is because this brush is aimed for the sensitive teeth market, and so focuses on less drill like sensation and so I can only presume cleans less well because of this.

I have so say, I prefer the quality, style, feel in mouth and quality of the clean, of a Philips Sonicare diamond brush over this product. The Diamond Clean does its job very well, but may not be good if you have very sensitive teeth. Overall this is a good toothbrush at the bottom of the Phillips price scale, which cleans teeth for almost two weeks on one charge..

So how does the brush do in cleaning teeth? As already indicated I have been an Oral B fan for years. There is no doubt that an electric brush cleans better than a hand held one. As already stated the action of this brush is a bit less intrusive and so feels as if the mouth is not as clean as when using the Diamond Clean. This is the price you pay for buying a sensitive toothbrush. This brush is good, but it is merely a growing personal preference for the better sonic action of the Phillips Diamond Clean, that stops me from giving it 5 stars.

Overall this is a good, reasonably well made brush. It does what it says on the box. I am happy to recommend this product, but prefer another Phillips Sonic brush

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic 'starter' sonic toothbrush., 22 July 2014
L. W. Newton "lwn83" (Nottingham, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Philips have been making excellent sonic toothbrushes for some time now, this is one of their basic starter level brushes but cleans in the same way as the high level models do, it just has less features.

This brush is supplied with just one brush head, heads are readily available from Amazon Philips Sonicare Pro Results Brush Heads Sensitive 3pk. The Sonicare HX6511/44 fits nicely into the hand and is not too heavy. Using this brush is easy, I suggest following the instructions supplied if you have not used a sonic toothbrush before, the brush has a 'quad' timer that divides the two minute cleaning time into quarters so you can clean upper front/ upper back/ lower front / lower back equally. The cleaning results are excellent leaving your teeth felling very clean. This brush has just one cleaning program unlike the Sonicare Platinum I have that has 3 programs and a variable speed control, but it is adequate and will improve oral hygiene.

The battery in this toothbrush needs charging before use, charging turns off automatically when charging is finished, the battery is Lith Ion which does not suffer from memory problems as the old NiCd batteries did. The charging base supplied is very small and portable so you can take it away with you on holiday or business trips.

If you still use a manual toothbrush then this is the ideal 'beginner' sonic toothbrush, it's not overly complicated with bells and whistles but it will clean your teeth very well, your dentist will be delighted with the results and your oral hygiene will be much improved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good at cleaning but only one toothbrush head supplied, 21 July 2014
John Boy (Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is similar in size to an Oral B / Braun rechargeable toothbrush with an oscillating head. It comes with one standard sensitive toothbrush and a charger base. It uses ultrasonic cleaning at a frequency of 31,000 Hz, gradually increasing the power over the first 14 uses so that your mouth gets used to the sensation; it was a bit unpleasant on the inside of my top gum at first use but that feeling is lessening. Although this is a sensitive brush - and therefore soft - it does clean my teeth very well and they feel as good afterwards as using a Panasonic water jet flosser. In use it beeps after 30 seconds to remind you to clean another section of your teeth so that cleaning takes a total of two minutes and then it switches off automatically. It's easy to miss that beep at first.

The toothbrush heads are said to last about three months but will wear quicker on braces. Replacement brushes will cost around £25 a year. As there is only one brush, two or more people using it will require separate additional brushes and there is no facility to mark them with a plastic ring like the Oral B oscillating heads; maybe mark with different colour mail varnishes. Other types of brush are available and it would have been useful to have a different brush included.

The integral LED signals when it needs recharging, but note that the charging base is light and may fall over.

Positive points (five stars):
* really good cleaning but your mouth does need to get used to the sensation;
* if not satisfied after 28 days, Philips refund 100% of the cost;
* removeable rechargeable battery.

Negative points (four stars):
* only one brush supplied and no means of marking it if two or more people use it;
* other reviews report that the motor fails two months after the two year warranty expires.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have no qualms in recommending this brush, 17 Aug. 2014
A Smile and a Wave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Philips Sonicare HX6511 is available in three different brush head fittings with this particular model having a sensitive brush in the pack. The handle and functions are the same but you are able to buy a head which suits your personal needs rather than a factory standard. Mind you, the price seems to differ depending on which one you want and it might even be prudent to check the prices of the other models on Amazon (at the time of writing the HX6511/50 was considerably cheaper Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush).

I've used this type of Sonicare brush for some time and I'm very pleased with the results I get; my dentist usually comments on how clean my teeth and gums are so I must be doing something right. This particular brush is good to hold with a pleasant shape and good grip and is nicely balanced in the hand. It does last ages between charges too which I find to be a great bonus, particularly when travelling since it means that I can often go without taking the charger too. One tip I have is to rinse the mouth with water beforehand since it helps with the sonic cleaning action, but it's also worth trying the other brush heads in the range to find your own preference. I expect that this brush will last years (just like my old ones) and have no qualms in recommending it although I do wish the price of the replacement brush heads was lower.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely smooth clean feeling, 20 July 2014
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The toothbrush included is the basic model - charging base, brush handle and brush head - and it leaves you with a lovely clean feeling.

Philips have produced another design of toothbrush head and I have to admit I like this one better than some of the previous ones which were far too bulky for my mouth and uncomfortable to use.

The company used to put a couple of spare heads in the box when you purchased one of their electric toothbrushes - sadly no more. It is a shame that they have decided to go cheap and cut out these little bonuses that made Philips the brand to get.

I like to charge my toothbrush in my bedroom rather than the bathroom (that way no-one can decided to use my brush because they can't find their own), but if you are going to do this you will need an adaptor as the toothbrush comes with the standard 2-pin plug.

As someone who has the misfortune to go into hospital quite a lot a travel bag (even a cheap plastic one) would have been nice but sadly one is not included. I have discovered that you can get a cheap plastic zip-up pencil case from a large supermarket chain which will hold the handle and separate brush head.

In conclusion after using this brush I can say that it left my teeth with that lovely smooth clean feeling.

4.0 out of 5 stars A basic Sonicare handle - with just one brush head supplied!, 22 July 2014
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This version of the Philips Sonicare HX6511 Easyclean model comes supplied with just one brush head - the one designed for sensitive teeth - and it only has one cleaning mode which is "Clean" - the basic mode all models have. There is a model comparison chart provided on this page which outlines some features found on this and other models - check first before deciding on this model! This is a very basic model in the Philips Sonicare range and the sensitive brush head will certainly not suit all users!

Although the Philips Sonicare is a very good system for keeping your teeth clean this model may not be your best choice unless you really need the sensitive brush head. The HX6511 handle can be used with other Philips Sonicare brush heads and it is surprising that Philips have not included at least a standard one here as well. This is quite difficult to rate because if you need a basic Sonicare Sensitive toothbrush then this is a five star product - if you are deciding on your first Sonicare model then this would only really deserve three stars from the average user. I will compromise with four stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic toothbrush, 17 Aug. 2014
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The main feature of this otherwise basic toothbrush is a brushing intensity that increases slowly over about a month to the maximum. Combined with the sensitive head brush (one supplied with the unit, replacements easily available ) , the unit is therefore claimed to be particularly helpful for those with sensitive teeth/gums for whom transition straight away to a full power sonic toothbrush would be viewed with some trepidation.

You can certainly feel the difference with the slower brushing speed and experience is that the Somic toothbrushes deliver excellent cleaning performance. You can of course also fit a normal brush head to this unit once your teeth and gums are used to sonic tooth brushing.

I would however suggest that , if sensitivity is an issue and you are a family sharing a toothbrush by using multiple brush heads, you also consider other brushes in the range that offer standard multiple speed control . They are more expensive but might offer better overall flexibility in use.

Other than that, this is a basic electric toothbrush which performs well.