4.0 out of 5 stars Works nicely with in the Paper 53 App
Update4 : Apparently an app called Noteself supports Pencil 53 , as I don't own the app I can't comment on how well it works.( Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus also supported)

Update3 : Procreate also supports Pencil 53 ( unless they decide to create their own hardware), works well but not as well as the Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus.

Update2 : Added a...
Published 4 months ago by SashaP

2.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works - which sadly isn't often
Having used Paper for a while now I couldn't wait to get my hands on pencil. At first I baulked at the price but a special-ish offer swayed me and I ordered one about a month ago. I went for the walnut version and in terms of looks and tactility it doesn't disappoint.

Published 3 months ago by A. Nolan

2.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works - which sadly isn't often, 11 Sep 2014
A. Nolan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)

However it was a failure straight out of the box. The attached tip just wouldn't connect, so eventually I followed the manufacturers instructions and replaced with the included replacement tip - take note they know their tips are rubbish. The extra tips included not for when the first wears out but instead in case the first doesn't work. That doesn't inspire confidence. But, though I should have returned it then and there, stupidly, I persevered.

The replacement tip sort of worked on and off for shout two weeks. It had flashes of brilliance where everything was perfect - it responded to pressure, from the lightest to the firmest of touches. It worked with the finger blending option. Palm rejection worked. A dream.

I'd say from a total usage of around 20 hours (2-3 hours a day for a couple of weeks) it worked perfectly for about 2 hours.

The rest of the time it was nothing more than a bog standard stylus. No it didn't even work that well. It would disconnect. The tip wouldn't make a mark. The marks were wrong or unexpected i.e. It would blend unexpectedly rather than draw which would necessitate me having to turn off the finger blending option in the menu - very annoying.

Finally today it just stopped working altogether. The replacement tip won't connect at all and the original tip (tried as a last resort) does now connect but won't work unless I exert a ridiculous amount of force on the screen. Useless. Because of the flashes of brilliance I almost spent another £10.50 on a set of two replacement tips. Then I saw sense, finally.

Incredibly disappointing from such an expensive and promising product. And particularly from a brand that has been so careful about delivering great products thus far. Come on 53 get it sorted!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 21 Nov 2014
I wanted to like this, but after a little use I cannot recommend it.

The rubber stylus tip split after perhaps an hour of use. Googling this issue will produce pages of results, so it is a common problem.

It is not pressure sensitive. It does not claim to be pressure sensitive, I just assumed it was for the money.

Bought my wife a Jot Touch at the same time. It cost over £30 more, but it is a much better product. The stylus lasts and it is pressure sensitive, providing much more line variation.

On the plus side FiftyThree customer support is first rate, the problem is they have a produce with a poorly designed tip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works nicely with in the Paper 53 App, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)

Update2 : Added a star , since my review . Still use my other Bluetooth pen more(in other Apps) but this does work so well in the Paper 53 App.

Update1 : Pencil 53 Replacement Tips and Eraser are far too expensive for me.

-------------------------------------

Works nicely with in the Paper 53 App, you could use it as a normal stylus outside of the App but I wouldn't as the cost of replacing the nibs will likely be quite high.( Would be nice to how much are the replacement nibs going to cost, they don't have them on Amazon UK yet)

Build quality is good. Looks and feels nice to use.

Would be nice if they included a carry case/ pouch ( for the price )

If you use the App often then it might be something to consider, there are other Bluetooth pens available that work in multiple Apps. Paper 53 don't plan on adding compatibility with for other products except for the Pogo which was already implemented.

So essentially it's a gadget and unless you actively use Paper 53 I would not recommend it as it's pricey and limited (at this point anyway) to the App Paper 53.

To Sum Up

If you use Paper 53 and absolutely must have it , then you might find it useful.

If you use other Note Taking / Drawing Apps then best to move on and find another product.(e.g Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus )

Only 3 stars as it's expensive for what it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Premium Pencil, 28 Sep 2014
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:52 Mins

Pencil has been created by app developer FiftyThree who created the much loved Paper iOS app. Designed specifically to work with the Paper app, the manufacturer kindly sent me a sample to review. Before you even see Pencil you know it's a premium product, it comes well packaged in a really nice cylindrical tube and has instructions and a couple of replacement parts (the 1 replacement nib and 1 replacement eraser).

Rather than a rounded design Pencil takes a flat, carpenters pencil, approach. Aside from being easy to hold this is due to housing the USB charging connection, just pull the tip and Pencil comes apart ready for charging. If it does run out of power it will still work as a stylus, it just means you don't get all the additional features such as palm rejection.

Setup was very simple, just a matter of letting the Paper app know you're using Pencil by pressing the nib against a special icon and you're ready to get creative. This approach means you don't need to worry about going into Bluetooth pairing menus, you the app handles everything for you. The brilliant thing about Pencil is that, like Apples iPad, it's each to use, you don't really need to think about it it just does what you expect it to and this makes it a must have purchase if you've never really gotten use to using your finger to draw.

It's this intuitive use that makes this a must have over low cost stylus's that are just replacements for your finger. For example the app recognises which end of the Pencil is in use, use the nib and you'll draw, use the eraser it'll smudge or erase (depending on the tool). Using Pencil also activates the apps palm rejection, which means you can put your hand on the screen while drawing without causing the app to respond, giving a more natural experience than if you have to watch what you're doing.

You're finger isn't made totally useless, it becomes it's own tool that you can now use to smudge, or blur, your artwork, as you might do if drawing using charcoal. The entire experience feels very natural, you don't need to keep digging into menus to select tools or features.

If there is one thing that can get a little frustrating it's the size of the nib, which at times can feel a little too big at times and can cause it to be tricky to see exactly where you are drawing if using a very thin tool. As the iPad is so portable it also would've been nice to have had a case included, but I suppose you could use the tube it comes in.

Now Pencil has been available for some time it's great to see that other app developers have integrated Pencil into their apps, giving you the flexibility to use this outside of Paper.

Overall this is a really nice product, especially for those who love to use the Paper app.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lovely to use when tips are working., 30 Nov 2014
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)
I opened the Pencil after breakfast and used it intermittently during that first day, really enjoying drawing with it and being able to flip it around and use the eraser. When not using it I kept it protected. By evening of that day the thin rubber at the end of the tip had already broken. I tried the replacement tip which it came with, but that one had a small divot on one side where it should make contact with some metal inside the body and it refused to work properly; if the pen was disconnected from the app I couldn't pair it, and if I tried to switch the tips after connecting with the old tip then it worked for a couple of lines before degenerating into odd behaviour, like the draw and erase functions switching ends. Against my better judgement I've ordered a set of replacement tips, but unless they're astonishingly good quality I'm going to give the whole thing up and return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality as you'd expect from FiftyThree, 13 Dec 2014
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)
This is really nice, way nicer than I'd expected. First things first, make sure it's compatible with your iPad, I have an iPad 2 and I know it doesn't work with that, but it does work with my iPad Air 2. I should point out that it will still work with older models, but just as a regular old stylus, you won't get all the extra features that you can get on the newer models.

The blend feature works great, and so does the eraser, it's so natural to use and is really comfortable to hold. FiftyThree are all about quality and design, and they show it off here, every detail has been carefully thought out. From the pictures I was worried it might be too big, but it's perfect, there was no need to worry. The only downside for me is that the nib just feels a little to soft, I can see why you might need to get spares if you use it regularly enough (it also says a lot that they give you a free replacement nip in the box). There is one other potential downside, depending how you see it. To charge the Pencil, you plug it into a USB port, but the thing you plug in is about as long as the pencil itself, I just can't help but think it would be so easy to knock and the levering action would just snap it, I'm just going to be extra careful.

There are minor flaws from a software point of view, but you need to remember that software issues can be fixed, and likely will be in time, so I'm leaving them out of this review, because I feel they're more about the app. It's actually possible to update the firmware on the Pencil as well, so Paper53 could come up with some new features for the future.

So assuming you have a compatible device, and you think you'll use Paper every once in a while, it's a really nice addition to an iPad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun, 26 Aug 2014
B. Innes "Mtoto" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an incredibly beautiful piece of design. Right down to the piece of cardboard holding the important interior bits.

Lovely to hold in the hand - ended up holding it more like charcoal or a brush.

This was pretty much a first 'drawing/painting' stylus. Had one before on the Galaxy Note and that was used more for diagrams and writing and was a great deal more onerous to use.

Very intuitive to use and simple to set up. In many ways it behaves like a real pencil - drawing at one end and rubbing out at the other.

Loved the features in the app that works with it. Was incredibly impressed with how some of my doodles ended up almost looking like art.

There are a couple of nibs for different stroke thickness.
Totally brilliant is being able to rest your hand on the screen and it not mark.
The ability to send and share stuff really easily - already sent a couple of personalised thank you notes and maybe some Christmas cards a little later on this year
The ability to erase stuff by turning the pencil up side down.
Capability to do a reasonably detailed sketch of a room or garden and annotate it.

Oh and it works in other apps but really and truly to get the best out of it use the Paper 53 app.

So why not 5 stars
Well storage a bit of a problem. My ipad cover, the one with the key board does not have a place for a stylus and imagine the stylus will get lost in the bottom of a bag.
It is pretty expensive compared with other stuff out there,
Haven;t quite worked out where you get the replacement nibs from, am told they are on Amazon but cannot see them.....

Having said all that would I buy it as a gift or for myself. Yes for sure as a gift as it is beautiful, fun and useful. It really is a lovely thing to use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Aug 2014
P. D. Chapman - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)
When it works it's ok. I had trouble with the first tip after about one hour's use, so I'm on the included replacement. Then there were problems with the blend finger action, which was blending when it was supposed to be drawing. I turned that feature off to overcome that problem.

Now the erase function from the non-drawing tip has stopped working, after about five hours use. Now it's not much better than a simple dumb stylus. To be honest, I'm very disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)
Feels nice in the hand but temperamental with a clunky point. Not worth the money. Takes a lot of attempts before it synchs, Blend and Erase are very unpredictable with the former mostly disabled to avoid accidental changes. A disappointment. Not up to the standard of the app and less effective than much cheaper versions.

4.0 out of 5 stars 53 pen and 53 app good but not the best ., 7 Sep 2014
kerrygold71 "kezzy" (cheshire , united kingdom.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So , so , when we could finally get it to work , beautiful looking iPad drawing pen .

As I said before it took a bit of time to finally get it to work , then just after we got it to work the pen had a update , the pen works good and you can use the 53 app which is recommended you do , it's a pretty solid drawing pen and is very well made , the 53 app is very good and you can draw in any writing pen or drawing pencil or paint style you like but you can't use this 53 pen and 53 app on iPads 1 & 2 you can only use it on iPads mini 1 & 2 upwards to the latest iPad Air .

The 53 pen is good but not at this price , would I recommend it ... Kinda yes & no . I was not sure whether to give it 3 or 4 stars . It's a good tablet pen but not the best .

Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut