4.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely
I had never heard of the Paper53 app before this came up for me to try for free, however i have an iPad Air so thought id give it a go, plus i had nowhere to go over the bank holiday weekend.

I found it very easy to use, the stylus itself is very large, but is so smooth, you almost forget that its genuine wood.

It is very comfortable to hold in the...
Published 2 months ago by Beanie Luck Spud

2.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works - which sadly isn't often
Having used Paper for a while now I couldn't wait to get my hands on pencil. At first I baulked at the price but a special-ish offer swayed me and I ordered one about a month ago. I went for the walnut version and in terms of looks and tactility it doesn't disappoint.

Published 1 month ago by A. Nolan

2.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works - which sadly isn't often, 11 Sep 2014
A. Nolan (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)

However it was a failure straight out of the box. The attached tip just wouldn't connect, so eventually I followed the manufacturers instructions and replaced with the included replacement tip - take note they know their tips are rubbish. The extra tips included not for when the first wears out but instead in case the first doesn't work. That doesn't inspire confidence. But, though I should have returned it then and there, stupidly, I persevered.

The replacement tip sort of worked on and off for shout two weeks. It had flashes of brilliance where everything was perfect - it responded to pressure, from the lightest to the firmest of touches. It worked with the finger blending option. Palm rejection worked. A dream.

I'd say from a total usage of around 20 hours (2-3 hours a day for a couple of weeks) it worked perfectly for about 2 hours.

The rest of the time it was nothing more than a bog standard stylus. No it didn't even work that well. It would disconnect. The tip wouldn't make a mark. The marks were wrong or unexpected i.e. It would blend unexpectedly rather than draw which would necessitate me having to turn off the finger blending option in the menu - very annoying.

Finally today it just stopped working altogether. The replacement tip won't connect at all and the original tip (tried as a last resort) does now connect but won't work unless I exert a ridiculous amount of force on the screen. Useless. Because of the flashes of brilliance I almost spent another £10.50 on a set of two replacement tips. Then I saw sense, finally.

Incredibly disappointing from such an expensive and promising product. And particularly from a brand that has been so careful about delivering great products thus far. Come on 53 get it sorted!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely, 25 Aug 2014
Beanie Luck Spud (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It is very comfortable to hold in the hand and super easy to pair to the device, you just touch the screen, a doddle right !!

Anyway, the greatest thing about this is that anyone can use it, whether you are an artist or not, i am not, i love taking pictures, but drawing is not my forte, however i drew a very nice bowl of fruit as a practice run in the charcoal effect which took me about 5 hours to perfect, but when i tried to colour it in, i ruined it. Lesson learned there lol

My mum had a go, and she is slightly more talented than me and she had a great laugh for 3 hours, in fact i had trouble getting the thing back off her.

Sunday i spent almost an entire day drawing my fantasy house, im no architect but i was most impressed with how it came out.

I have not experienced any technical issues so far and i have found the movements fluid and easy. I have a screen protector on my iPad and i have not found any restrictions in movement on the pencil as yet, the instructions tell you not to use one, but i have not come across any problems, i guess it all depends on how thick the protector is.

It is slightly expensive, but it gives you thousands of hours of fun.

I personally loved it, it has become my new favourite way of chilling out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun, 26 Aug 2014
B. Innes "Mtoto" (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an incredibly beautiful piece of design. Right down to the piece of cardboard holding the important interior bits.

Lovely to hold in the hand - ended up holding it more like charcoal or a brush.

This was pretty much a first 'drawing/painting' stylus. Had one before on the Galaxy Note and that was used more for diagrams and writing and was a great deal more onerous to use.

Very intuitive to use and simple to set up. In many ways it behaves like a real pencil - drawing at one end and rubbing out at the other.

Loved the features in the app that works with it. Was incredibly impressed with how some of my doodles ended up almost looking like art.

There are a couple of nibs for different stroke thickness.
Totally brilliant is being able to rest your hand on the screen and it not mark.
The ability to send and share stuff really easily - already sent a couple of personalised thank you notes and maybe some Christmas cards a little later on this year
The ability to erase stuff by turning the pencil up side down.
Capability to do a reasonably detailed sketch of a room or garden and annotate it.

Oh and it works in other apps but really and truly to get the best out of it use the Paper 53 app.

So why not 5 stars
Well storage a bit of a problem. My ipad cover, the one with the key board does not have a place for a stylus and imagine the stylus will get lost in the bottom of a bag.
It is pretty expensive compared with other stuff out there,
Haven;t quite worked out where you get the replacement nibs from, am told they are on Amazon but cannot see them.....

Having said all that would I buy it as a gift or for myself. Yes for sure as a gift as it is beautiful, fun and useful. It really is a lovely thing to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works nicely with in the Paper 53 App, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)
Update4 : Apparently an app called Noteself supports Pencil 53 , as I don't own the app I can't comment on how well it works.( Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus also supported)

Update3 : Procreate also supports Pencil 53 ( unless they decide to create their own hardware), works well but not as well as the Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus.

Update2 : Added a star , since my review . Still use my other Bluetooth pen more(in other Apps) but this does work so well in the Paper 53 App.

Update1 : Pencil 53 Replacement Tips and Eraser are far too expensive for me.

-------------------------------------

Works nicely with in the Paper 53 App, you could use it as a normal stylus outside of the App but I wouldn't as the cost of replacing the nibs will likely be quite high.( Would be nice to how much are the replacement nibs going to cost, they don't have them on Amazon UK yet)

Build quality is good. Looks and feels nice to use.

Would be nice if they included a carry case/ pouch ( for the price )

If you use the App often then it might be something to consider, there are other Bluetooth pens available that work in multiple Apps. Paper 53 don't plan on adding compatibility with for other products except for the Pogo which was already implemented.

So essentially it's a gadget and unless you actively use Paper 53 I would not recommend it as it's pricey and limited (at this point anyway) to the App Paper 53.

To Sum Up

If you use Paper 53 and absolutely must have it , then you might find it useful.

If you use other Note Taking / Drawing Apps then best to move on and find another product.(e.g Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus )

Only 3 stars as it's expensive for what it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Premium Pencil, 28 Sep 2014
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:52 Mins

Pencil has been created by app developer FiftyThree who created the much loved Paper iOS app. Designed specifically to work with the Paper app, the manufacturer kindly sent me a sample to review. Before you even see Pencil you know it's a premium product, it comes well packaged in a really nice cylindrical tube and has instructions and a couple of replacement parts (the 1 replacement nib and 1 replacement eraser).

Rather than a rounded design Pencil takes a flat, carpenters pencil, approach. Aside from being easy to hold this is due to housing the USB charging connection, just pull the tip and Pencil comes apart ready for charging. If it does run out of power it will still work as a stylus, it just means you don't get all the additional features such as palm rejection.

Setup was very simple, just a matter of letting the Paper app know you're using Pencil by pressing the nib against a special icon and you're ready to get creative. This approach means you don't need to worry about going into Bluetooth pairing menus, you the app handles everything for you. The brilliant thing about Pencil is that, like Apples iPad, it's each to use, you don't really need to think about it it just does what you expect it to and this makes it a must have purchase if you've never really gotten use to using your finger to draw.

It's this intuitive use that makes this a must have over low cost stylus's that are just replacements for your finger. For example the app recognises which end of the Pencil is in use, use the nib and you'll draw, use the eraser it'll smudge or erase (depending on the tool). Using Pencil also activates the apps palm rejection, which means you can put your hand on the screen while drawing without causing the app to respond, giving a more natural experience than if you have to watch what you're doing.

You're finger isn't made totally useless, it becomes it's own tool that you can now use to smudge, or blur, your artwork, as you might do if drawing using charcoal. The entire experience feels very natural, you don't need to keep digging into menus to select tools or features.

If there is one thing that can get a little frustrating it's the size of the nib, which at times can feel a little too big at times and can cause it to be tricky to see exactly where you are drawing if using a very thin tool. As the iPad is so portable it also would've been nice to have had a case included, but I suppose you could use the tube it comes in.

Now Pencil has been available for some time it's great to see that other app developers have integrated Pencil into their apps, giving you the flexibility to use this outside of Paper.

Overall this is a really nice product, especially for those who love to use the Paper app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paired with Paper it is brilliant to use, 27 Aug 2014
Smatch (South West) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are a number of iPad styluses available, a lot of which are many times cheaper than this, all I can say that the price is justified because of the features that come with this Pencil, the app is free and can be used with any stylus really, but when used with this it is tailored to a tee and fantastic to use, especially with the free tools exclusive with the purchase.

Out of the box (I should say cylinder really) it is compact, smart and attractively packaged, with a small instruction sheet to get you started. It paired very quickly with my iPad Retina, and works with my old iPad 2 as a standard stylus, basically like one you could buy for £5, so if you haven't got a Retina, I would stay away from this. The spare tip and eraser is a nice touch, I don't know how much extra that adds to the overall price and I feel that they are not totally necessary, but it's good to know if you lose either when travelling etc.

I work in the creative industries so the usability and adaptability of this with the Paper app go hand in hand, on the train I can sketch ideas, save and not worry about running out of space, and it is such a nice thing to use as well.

All in all I would say the price is justified, especially if 53 keep updating the Paper app and software, it's quite a serious investment as there are many cheaper alternatives out there, but this is in a league of its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite stylus for drawing, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)
This is a beautifully matched stylus for my iPad mini and I found it connected brilliantly with not a single issue now. Looking forward to iOS 8 update with surface pressure to really get a realistic feel when using paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars 53 pen and 53 app good but not the best ., 7 Sep 2014
kerrygold71 "kezzy" (cheshire , united kingdom.) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So , so , when we could finally get it to work , beautiful looking iPad drawing pen .

As I said before it took a bit of time to finally get it to work , then just after we got it to work the pen had a update , the pen works good and you can use the 53 app which is recommended you do , it's a pretty solid drawing pen and is very well made , the 53 app is very good and you can draw in any writing pen or drawing pencil or paint style you like but you can't use this 53 pen and 53 app on iPads 1 & 2 you can only use it on iPads mini 1 & 2 upwards to the latest iPad Air .

The 53 pen is good but not at this price , would I recommend it ... Kinda yes & no . I was not sure whether to give it 3 or 4 stars . It's a good tablet pen but not the best .

5.0 out of 5 stars Techno, retro, 16 Sep 2014
J. S. Bundy (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a beautifully made and packaged product. It's simple lines are totally in keeping with the drawing programme, 53, that it supports. Made out of wood with the feel of an old fashioned carpenters pencil, it is easy on the eye and perfectly balanced in the hand. It has two functional ends, the tip for drawing and the end for erasing, just like a real pencil. I love the weird juxtaposition of something so basic looking being the means to working on my iPad. The soft writing tip and eraser are replaceable and it has been packaged with spares. The tip removes to reveal the USB charger.

I have had 53 for sometime and had a lot of fun with it just using my finger, but the pencil takes it to a whole new level. Easy to start up, just touch it to the icon, and make sure Bluetooth is on. Having the pencil connected gave me access to all the add on tools, which I'm pretty sure I didn't have originally.

I love the way that I can use the pencil and am able to rest my hand on the screen, just like on a piece of paper. It's been a great learning process in what I can achieve, rather a lot if doodles have finally given way to some basic, smudgey, modern art! I love the pen function, and have used it at work to take notes and sketch diagrams. The combination of colour wheel and blend tool makes even a scribble come alive with texture.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this pencil, it's a bit pricey, but takes 53, as a painting and drawing program to a whole new, imaginative level.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels good BUT …, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut (Personal Computers)
This is a lovely looking product and delightful to hold. The only problem is that it didn't work consistently for me and I was so frustrated with trying to use it that I returned it (now replaced with a Adonit Jot which works beautifully). Imagine if you will, using a real life pencil and sometimes when you draw with it produces a line and sometimes it doesn't, well that's what it was like.

Pencil by FiftyThree - Walnut