5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed
Had this for about a week, and writing this on my phone so will be brief.

Very impressed. Excellent tv picture, I have this tv in the bedroom with just an Ariel source but the hd freeview picture quality is excellent (much better than my sky hd on a 42" Panasonic downstairs).

TV is very nice to look at, nice thin bezel.

It doesn't...
Published 1 month ago by Mr. J. P. Godfrey

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite So Smart TV
Published 2 months ago by Mr. F. W. Stead

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Samsung UE32H5500 32-inch Widescreen Full HD Smart LED TV with Built In Wi-Fi and Freeview HD (Electronics)
Had this for about a week, and writing this on my phone so will be brief.

TV is very nice to look at, nice thin bezel.

It doesn't include bolts for wall brackets. If you need them then 40mm m8 bolts are required (£2 on amazon).

I also bought a 500gb usb hard drive for £35. This is a great addition as you can then pause / rewind live tv and record. You can watch one channel and record another, although I have only got this to work from the guide, if I start recording the channel I'm watching then it stops when I change channel so that could be improved.

Smart functions are good. I've connected it via a wired plus Ethernet connection rather than wireless. Worked no problem. Set up was easy.

Also plays content from usb sticks very easily. Just select source and play. So I now have this set up with the hard drive and a 16gb stick so I can easily watch content from any source.

I player etc all work well and I only have about 3mb broadband.

You can screen mirror samsung phones, but the iPhone apps are pretty poor and not really worth downloading.

Overall very impressed for £300.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung makes great TV's that are best in their class, 28 Sep 2014
Christopher J. Cowen (glenville, PA) - See all my reviews
Samsung makes great TV's that surpass every other manufacturer in their class. I have two Samsung's in my house and I can tell you the image is beautiful. This TV has an LED screen and in my opinion this the way to go (LED is similar to LCD its back-lit better so that they are no dark spots on the screen).

Now add in that this TV can directly connect to the internet and I'm sold. TV's of this class have never been cheaper.

One thing that I have found with TV's that its very important to actually look at the TV in person. Now when you look at the TV's, go to a place like Walmart to see them, because many times specialty stores like Best Buy play with the lighting controls on the TV and in the store to skew the image to there advantage. Once you look at the TV simply look and decide which one looks better to you.

The next step to take into consideration is features. Here are a few that come with this TV:

This Samsung comes with Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.

As far as outputs most of these TV's will come with more than enough Inputs and Outputs. This TV comes with 3 HDMI Audio/Video In, 1 Ethernet LAN In/Out, 1 RCA Component Audio/Video In amd 1 Digital Coaxial Audio Out.

Next thing when shopping for a TV is in box technology. Here are some of the features of this TV:

With this Smart HDTV there is a full web browser with WiFi built-in apps made for TV. Some of the apps this TV features is Hulu Plus, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, and Twitter. Browse the web while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online, all on one screen with this Samsung.

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung UE32H5500 32-inch Widescreen Full HD Smart LED TV, 18 Aug 2014
I bought this TV as an upgrade from the Samsung UE32H5000 32-inch Widescreen Full HDTV, believing that it was worth paying the £60 difference to have the ability to record programmes to USB, let alone the ability to connect to the internet and access 4OD; BBCi and ITV Player via Ethernet cable ore wireless connectivity.

Others in the family love the internet "Smart TV" function. Myself, I'd rather not have internet access and just access the internet via my computer and display the computer screen display on the TV via HDMI cable. My reason for this is that Samsung and their business partners collect, collate and store information on whatever you view, click on or type, which may include personal information and passwords, which they could, and do, reserve the right to store and share with others. Their lengthy terms and conditions and privacy policy make this clear. If you wish to use the smart TV functions, you have no choice but to accept these terms and conditions. Furthermore, Samsung limit and exclude all liability for any malfunction, loss and associated costs that may arise as a result of TV invasion by virus, malware and other bad stuff.

I am not sure whether or not this TV can be controlled by voice commands, but for models that can operate in such way Samsung and their associates do store a transcript of all words your TV hears. The terms and conditions/privacy policy make it clear that you should avoid discussing sensitive information while voice operated control is activated.

This brings me to another point. On your computer, you know whether or not you have installed antivirus software; you know what you have installed, what it does, and whether or not it is up to date. In comparison, this TV has its own firmware that can be used to scan attachments and devices in order to detect, quarantine, or block bad stuff, but no specification for the firmware is included anywhere, so you don't know exactly what it includes, what it does, or whether it is sufficiently up to date to detect and deal with current online security threats. That said, there is a TV option to switch off wireless internet connectivity, but then you have to re-enter your password via the TV to re-connect if you wish to be re-connected. Both are done by pressing the Menu button on the remote and selecting the "Network Settings" option. So, if you happen to have linked your computer to the TV wirelessly, and don't want Samsung or their partners viewing, storing collating and sharing data on what you view, switching off Wi-Fi connectivity should prevent them spying on you, unless they can still find a way via your router?

Recording to USB works a dream, as does playback. However, the TV requires you to allow it to format your USB stick to FAT32 prior to recording. It was my intention to save the recordings on a Samsung RF711 notebook computer, however, the computer insists that the USB be formatted again before it can be used. The result is that I cannot transfer the recordings to a computer (I tried with an Acer Aspire Notebook computer too and experienced the same problem) for storage or burning to a DVD. So, for me, this TV was not worth the £60 extra to upgrade from the Samsung UE32H5000, but other family members believe the extra functions to be worthwhile. It should be noted that a trustworthy HDD Recorder does cost ~>£100, if you were to buy one to attach to the TV. I guess that you could still experience the same problem when attempting to move files to your computer.

I decided to see whether I could play TS files containing Freeview programmes that I recorded on a Bauer TV and stored on a portable hard drive. The Samsung TV did not require me to format the portable hard drive (only if I wanted to record to it: which would mean, of course, that it would have to be formatted again if I wanted to use the portable hard drive with my computer)in order to display the files, but it could not play the TS files, which was another great disappointment.

I attached our FreeSat box (Make: "Manhattan") to see if we could also access FreeSat channels. The answer is yes, but you can't record them. However, you can record a Freeview channel while watching a FreeSat channel.

No reflection. Great picture, even when viewed at an angle. Great sound - even my partially deaf mother finds it perfect. Lots of settings options specifically for football fans. I can play my PS2 and old DVDs (both NTSC & PAL formats) fine and all look very good. However, the DVD menu screens look poor quality with the images having jagged edges.

Our TV included an IR cable: one end plugs in to the rear of the TV and the other end has a IR sensor, which you place in front of a Blue Ray player, home theatre system, set top box, or X-box (PS3/4 is not listed as an option). Provided the thing you placed it in front of is of a make the TV can recognise (an on screen menu lists compatible makes), you can then control the device using your TV remote. Nothing indicates that this is of any use with an old DVD player, and our make of FreeSat box is not recognised.

Our TV came with a 12 month Samsung Guarantee, so long as you register the product within 14 days of purchase. However, we bought from JohnLewis store and they provide a free guarantee of the product for 5 years. You have the option to sign up to "The Samsung Repair Plan: £79 for 2 years or £119 for 4 years (prices are higher if you paid £300 or more for the TV).

It would have been nice to have a hard copy (printed) of the TV manual included. Instead you get an E-Manual, accessible by pressing the Menu button on the remote and selecting "Support", then E-Manual. A free PDF of the manual can be downloaded from the Samsung website too.

Oddly enough, the TV does not have a power off switch/button. Unless you unplug the TV, standby is the only alternative. Given this, I can't imagine how it got an A+ energy efficiency rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars This 32 inch Samsung model looks great before it's even powered up, 15 July 2014
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This 32 inch Samsung model looks great before it's even powered up. The black border around the screen is little over a centimetre long with a few millimetres of transparent plastic. Compared to the Series 4 Samsung it looks so much smaller - they have a good inch or so of black plastic all around the TV. Side by side this is by far the more handsome of the two, because of the smaller border the screen *seems* so much bigger!

As with most TVs under a certain size, you have to attach the base yourself, this is done easily. The base is screwed onto a plastic connector which then screws onto the back of the TV - it is then free standing and only takes a couple of minutes. Once switched on for the first time you run through the usual set up routine and it will scan for channels. Normally when I buy a TV I find myself modifying a plethora of settings to get the audio and picture how I want it - but the defaults were perfectly fine here. The LED screen is flawless, light levels are even across the whole screen and it looks incredibly vibrant - high def content looks gorgeous and the PS3 looks amazing on it. The menus look great too, that might sound odd but I've noticed that some TV menus looks ugly and fairly low-def. Perhaps more importantly, the menus are easy to navigate through and they make sense. I was impressed by the sound quality - those used to fancy surround sound set-ups will no doubt be disappointed by the inbuilt speakers - but they are far more effective than the Series 4 Samsung at both low and high volumes, and speech seems much clearer too.

This is a Smart TV and although I tend to just use my PS3 for the ‘Smart’ stuff, I did check to see what the apps looked like. I was impressed, the BBC iPlayer App works great (the HD stream was excellent) and there's also ITV Player too. I suspect that these two apps along with Netflix will be the most popular, though there are other content services available too. There are Twitter and Facebook apps which do actually look good on a TV screen, but they are a little impractical unless you want to use a keyboard as a remote control isn't the best way to tap out an epic status update! WiFi takes econds seconds to set-up, and once done – you don’t have to do it again. One thing I do use is an external hard disk full of video files and this TV manages to access my 500GB drive with no problems at all. It loads the folders quicker than the more expensive Sony I’ve used, and unlike some Panasonics, this is happy to access external media of more than 32GB capacity.

The remote itself isn't some fat monster, it's quite svelte and the plastic has been given a textured finish to make it look like brushed metal. I love the dedicated HD button to quickly take you to anything plugged in via HDMI (previous Samsungs were a bit of a 'mare when having to click Source several times). Because of the thin border around the screen there are no buttons, this is a relief for me as the touch sensitive buttons on the old Samsung were so hard to see that I'd inevitably end up pressing standby or changing the channel when all I wanted to do was knock the volume down a tad! Never fear if you can't find the remote, Samsung have provided a nipple! The directional button on the back is nicely hidden but easy to locate. Simply press up or down to change channels, or left and right to alter volume. Press it in to bring up the menu and then you can navigate the menu with ease - this is brilliant if you want to adjust the TV in the dark!

In a nutshell: A fantastic TV! The two things it doesn't have are 3D - which I don't require, and a swivel stand - which would have been nice, but as there is no excess of plastic surrounding the screen the whole thing isn't bulky at all and I just turn the unit in the direction I want it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite So Smart TV, 19 July 2014
I received this TV on 17th July having next day delivery via Prime. First impressions were good, it wasn't too difficult to put together, though I found the connections at the back a little tight when setting up the HDMI leads. The software setup was OK, though the 'call centre' music that plays consistently is incredibly irritating. Connection to WiFi worked fine as did the Sky+ and Blu Ray boxes. I haven’t tried the Freeview HD yet as I only use Sky at the moment.

The picture and sound is very good after some small tweaks. Two main gripes; showing the apps screen was not intuitive and took till the next day to figure out how to get them to fill the screen rather than a strip along the bottom. The instructions were not helpful here. I feel the 'home' screen should automatically be the apps screen rather than the last channel watched.

My other gripe is also with the apps. Lovefilm has been replaced by Amazon Instant and basically, it doesn't work. One of my reasons for joining Prime was to get access to the video streaming service. This works fine on the laptop, but will not show any programs on the TV. Trailers work, but not films. On investigation I found that this is a common problem and affects lots of people with a Samsung Smart TV’s. Netflix works fine, just not Amazon Instant. This is very disappointing as film streaming was an important reason for choosing a smart TV. Hopefully this will be fixed in the not too distant future.

So three stars rather than four, but will be updated if video streaming is fixed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely TV, 9 Jun 2014
5 mins to set up. Picture quality is great, especially the freeview HD channels. Sound is better than expected. The guide scrolls through the channels very quickly. The SmartTV menu is very quick and all the key on demand apps I've tried work fine. Not sure about the games though. Great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great model, great manufacturer, 26 Aug 2014
S. Naylor (Lancs) - See all my reviews
Ridiculously easy to set up, good looking, stable on its stand. I have another Samsung smart TV and that's equally as good. If you have a choice of models and can't make up your mind I'd definitely recommend Samsung

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, with excellent Smart features, 29 Sep 2014
Excellent TV, with raft of decent features. Picture and sound quality is excellent, both in SD and HD, and Smart features are comprehensive. Nothing to fault, a very good TV for a very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV but not able to down load the manual, 10 Sep 2014
Great TV but not able to down load the manual.on my iPad .not enough information on how to find the manual for my TV.Please help thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with this tv, 11 Sep 2014
Very happy with this tv, does everything I wanted it to do, very good picture and sound quality, easy to connect to the internet.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›