5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!
Having never been a fan of Motley Crue (or Heavy Metal in general) I bought this book purely on the advice of the reviews, and I' so glad I did...........it really is a fantastic read (from hysterically funny to heartbreakingly sad and everything in-between) and almost impossible to put down. I'm still not a Motley Crue fan, but I am a fan of books about bands and music...
Published on 17 Jun. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but annoying people!
Published on 6 Feb. 2011 by Mr. Mj Bickle

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dirt Will NEVER Wash Off, 17 Oct. 2010
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Motley Crue. The Dirt.

You want The Dirt? You got The Dirt. You couldn't make this up. Honestly. If you thought Spinal Tap are shallow parody of a rock band, then Motley Crue are THE Rock band. They not only wrote the Rule Book, they snorted it, they screwed it, toured it, played it, sold it, overdosed on it, crashed it, filmed it, toured it, flew it, injected it, drove it, recorded it for posterity, stole it, and then sold the book rights. Everything they could think of doing they did. And a few things you couldn't, shouldn't, and never ever would even imagine of doing. They did that too.

There's death. Divorce. Overdoses. Carcrashes. More prison stretches than the Krays. Sackings. Reinstatements. Writers Block. More Sackings. Riots. Punchups in Airports. Armed guards. There's Haircuts that Kill. And Guitars that squeal. And Millions of dollars abandoned in two decades of obscene overindulgence and overdubs.

It astounds me how Tommy Lee seems to have worked out a way to get arrested that matches every occasion. Weddings, bar mitzvahs, parties. And a lot of parties. You even get the Tommy Lee's handscrawled, appalling poetry from the depths of a US prison where he is no doubt some old-timers rich rock star bitch.

There's squalor. Poverty. Living out of dumpsters and vans. Depraved sexual practices. Ejaculating women known as The Moose. A TV show called "Who Wants To take Advantage Of Me?" hosted by Nikki Sixx. There's houses stripped whilst the millionaire rock stars are temporarily incarcerated on trumped up assault charges. There's death in the back of ambulances racing around LA, and adrenalin injections to resurrect these losers, crucifed like Christ on a cross made of guitar strings, syringes, and spandex.

America it seems, is a land where you can find anything you want. You want Ozzy Osborne snorting ants like cocaine? You want Bruce Dickinson's girlfriend having anonymous sex with American rock stars in hotel toilets? You want a manager that sells a stake in the band to a college student (who stole $25,000 off his Dad to own 5% of Motley Crue PLC.) and then disappears off the face of the Earth donating his money to God? You want Satanic Rituals,poltergeists, and pentagrams that bring forth demonic visions before you've even touched the Drugs? You want a book that not only you can't put down, sometimes you don't even want to pick up? And yet you can't help yourself. Like a carcrash, a funeral, an overdose - and there are plenty of those - you can't help but watch disaster unfold before your eyes. You want death, depravity, desecration, degradation? You want the most amazing unbelievable sordid story ever told? You want a tale of people who wanted it all, had it all, and snorted it all, fuelled by their own egos, stupidity, imagination, and above all, an appetite for destruction unequalled by anyone else you've ever heard of?

Of course you do. You want The Dirt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind who you're sitting next to, 20 April 2010
This might just be the best book in the world. But mind who you're sat next to on the train. I realised I was sat next to a bible-reading gentleman who had decided to check out my reading material just as I got to the bit about Bullwinkle.

Still, I like to think it broadened his mind a bit. He's probably listening to Girls, girls, girls now....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 6 April 2005
I've only ever heard one song by Motley Crue, truth be told. But when I was on holiday last summer, I saw someone reading "The Dirt" and wanted to read it myself because I liked the front cover!! I got the book from a friend for Christmas and have only just got round to reading it last week.
I could NOT put it down! I think I can say, without a doubt, that this book is definitely the best non-fiction book I've ever read. It's great to read it from the point of view of each bandmember and other people who have been involved in the shaping of Motley Crue over the years. If you buy this book, then I assure you you WON'T be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars the dirt, 15 Feb. 2004
M. black "barriebb3" (scotland) - See all my reviews
i have to admit that i'm not too familar with the music of the motley crue (apart from girls,girls,girls,) but this book is a terrific read.they lived the rock n roll lifestyle to it's limits which put other so called hellraisers to shame.definatley
worth a read, you won't be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Music Publication Since Hammer of the Gods, 27 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
I was a fan of the band at the time and I always wondered how much of their image was actually real? They always seemed pretty genuine but there was always a doubt whether anyway could survive living like this.Here we find out in graphically, amusing detail that, yep they really were burning the candle not just at both ends, but right in the middle aswell! I was in attendance at the infamous St. Valentine Day Massacre Concert in London, which is detailed in the book. I never would of thought that as I was travelling home from watching one hell of a concert, that the principal songwriter in the band, Nikki Sixx, was left for dead in a pile of rubbish in a London alleyway. Overdosed yet again. This book is must read. You don't have to like either this band or rock music in general to know that this is the best music publication since Hammer Of the Gods.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe it, 20 Jan. 2013
L. Howlett (London) - See all my reviews
I picked this up at a local charity shop, but the truth is it's worth paying the full price. Without a doubt one of the best rock biographies I have read and I'm not even a huge Crue fan (they opened at Donnington 84 and I used to have Theatre of Pain and Dr Feelgood).

What makes this stand out is first that the band have a story to tell that is at once incredible, funny and at times very sad, and second that the story is told by the protagonists. Each tells his part in separate chapters and it all seems to fit together to make a whole. You get that Tommy likes a laugh, that Nikki Sixx has deep-rooted issues, and that Vince is an idiot.

Each story is compelling, honestly told and, despite all the drugs, money, partying and women, moving. The story of Vince's 4-year-old daughter's death from cancer is one of the most emotional passages I have read and all of sudden all of Vince's previous antics and misdemeanours are forgotten. Who cannot feel for him and his family after reading that chapter...

Motley Crue, love them or hate them, have a story that has been brilliantly told here... Indeed this could be their greatest achievement.

5.0 out of 5 stars totally bitchin', 15 Feb. 2006
By A Customer
I couldn't put this book down - I laughed out loud and cried like hell: this book has everything!
These guys have lived a million lives, and everything Motley Crue stand for makes other bands today seem so tame and bland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock 'n' Roll Decedance, 8 Oct. 2003
Robert Ainsworth (Troon, Ayrshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A non-stop story or sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll. An enthralling read with more funny or diabolical stories (depending how you look at them) than you could shake a big stick at

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I have Ever Read Bar None, 7 Aug. 2008
J. Daniel "Jimmy" (UK) - See all my reviews
I don't like their music, I don't particularly like the band members but I read this and was blown away, quite simply the best book I have read. I love the style of it. It's rock and Roll, It's Sex and it's drugs and it's also moving in places. Neil Strauss must be creditted for the style in which the book is written, but the band wrote their own story and what a story it is....

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read but annoying people!, 6 Feb. 2011
I'm not a Motley Crue fan but I was intrigued by their reputation. This book is full of honest, shocking stories and really doesn't disappoint in that respect. Unfortunately though, I just found the band to be very unlikeable and Mick comes across as the only genuine member. The others seem so self centred and reminded me of the cocky idiot kids at school! I read Ozzy Osbourne's autobiography recently and deep down he is clearly a nice guy, this lot don't give a damn...not even about the music! I know that is part of being a rockstar but honestly, Vince and Tommy are vile!

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›