5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare yourself for one heck of a story ...
I very rarely read an entire book in a day. There is always a point where I am able to break off, resurface and get on with the rest of my life. With Cry Baby, I had no choice but to read on, and I finished it in one, perfect sitting.
Published 3 months ago by Joanna Cannon

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read
This is an interesting read, keeps you guessing until the end although I would have liked some more tidying up of loose ends at the end but maybe that's just me. I did skip over a few bits that were just padding but on the whole a good read if you are into thrillers
Published 29 days ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare yourself for one heck of a story ..., 14 April 2014
Joanna Cannon (Ashbourne, Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
This is a Just One More Chapter book. This is a book to keep you reading into the small hours, because you will (literally) be unable to put it down. The plot is woven with such skill, it will pull you from page to page, until you might actually find yourself in such a state of tension, you begin shouting into your Kindle (yes, I did that). I am very reluctant to detail anything regarding the narrative, because it would be unforgivable to spoil such spectacular twists ... but if you enjoy superb crime thrillers, you will love it. If you enjoy exceptional writing, you will love it, and if you like a story to dig a little into the shadowy corners of your own mind, then you will definitely love it.
Sit back, settle down and prepare yourself for one heck of a story ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another corker from Jackson!, 15 April 2014
Raven (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
A real highpoint of the publishing year for me, is a new addition to David Jackson’s excellent Detective Callum Doyle series. But fear not, gentle (but criminally minded) reader, if you have not sampled the wares of Mr Jackson before, because Cry Baby proves an easy entry point into the pre-existing series, and then you can relish the experience of playing catch-up with the others. Everyone’s a winner…

The book grabs your interest from the get-go with a young mother, Erin Vogel, experiencing the nightmare scenario of the abduction of her baby, Georgia. To add to her general torment, she finds herself under the surveillance, both visual and audio, of the disembodied voice of her daughter’s abductor- a voice commanding her to kill six random strangers before midnight the following day. If she reneges on the deal her baby will die. Jackson ramps up the tension of this twisted mission in spades, as we bear witness to the utter mental and physical turmoil that this produces in Erin, and the fear and indecision she experiences in selecting her victims. Just how can she choose who deserves to die in order for her baby to live? This is not a premise for a story that I have encountered before and Jackson, to his credit, handles it beautifully, speeding up and slowing down Erin’s mission accordingly to keep the tension on a knife edge throughout, and I am revealing nothing more. You are in for a treat…

As I said, this is another book featuring Detective Callum Doyle, a smart-mouthed but commited New York cop, who displays all the quick-wittedness and moral integrity, that we relish in our cop protagonists. He’s not having a great day at the office, when news of these seemingly random killings break, juggling the needs of both this case and the appearance at the station of a man with Rainman abilities professing to have killed his mother. Doyle dubs him Albert, as in Einstein, and the additional narrative that develops from their interactions is both poignant and humorous, providing a sliver of light relief from the moral trials of Erin in the opposing storyline. Jackson, once again demonstrates the mordant and clever wit that his character Doyle is synonomous with, whether he be joshing on with his colleagues, or using his acerbic wit to frustrate his superiors. Its deftly handled and a real shining point of the book.

With the benefit of having read the three previous books, Pariah, The Helper and Marked, I am pleased to say that Cry Baby more than came up to scratch. I enjoyed the very singular and particular focus that this book had on one day in Doyle’s life, with less emphasis on his outside distractions. The plot was perfectly judged, both in content and pace, cut through with humour and a satisfying degree of violence! Oh- and there might be a twist or two along the way. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 14 April 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
If you're looking for a tense thriller that will have you frantically trying to work out the puzzle of what the heck is going on, this is your book. Erin is sent on a horrific, unthinkable mission, and although she thinks she'll never be able to to it, she has no choice. Either she does what she's told, or her baby dies. Yet there is something that doesn't add up about it all, and there's the added mystery of Albert, who has turned up at the police station claiming to have killed his mother. You know they have to be linked somehow, but good luck working it out! This is the fourth in David Jackson's series featuring Detective Callum Doyle, but don't be concerned about reading this one out of sequence. It's quite different from the rest and works well on it's own - Erin is a fantastic character and you'll be rooting for her throughout, despite what she does... Saying that though, I highly recommend that you read the other three books too, because when you get to know Doyle, you'll want more - this book has the characteristic humour of the previous three, full of the types of people you wish you could meet in real life, mixed with a stylish and gritty New York setting. I really hope that there'll be a follow up to this one - Doyle is definitely one of my favourite series detectives, and David Jackson's writing is a delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will find yourself holding your breath and you won't realise until the moment you let it go., 15 April 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
Cry Baby! Just Wow! Another corker from David Jackson in the Calum Doyle series.

If you have read the previous three Doyle books, you will recognise that it's not so much a Doyle book as the others, but it is still a Doyle book and I do love him. You can easily read it as a standalone if you haven't read any of the previous books as a lot of the focus is on Erin and no back history is needed to read this, though I know once you've read Jackson's brilliant writing, you will want to read more! He has a unique style and wit that is easy to read and identifiable. I found myself ridiculously invested in the characters in this book and found Albert stole my heart. It was a quick read because I couldn't stop reading and I am anxiously waiting the next book Jackson writes.

Not only is it a great book, but there is some wonderful attention to detail, like the desk Sgt scene at the beginning. The man with the shoes laces tied around his feet. I Loved how the cops snorted with laughter but are instantly paragons of sobriety when he turns around.

There are some massively intense scenes in here, but so well executed you will find yourself holding your breath and you won't realise until the moment you let it go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just WOW!, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
I have just finished this and wanted to warn people that if you start this book then make sure you have nothing else planned for the rest of your day/night! It grabs hold of you and then grabs hold some more. The action alternates between Erin,a young mum who awakes to find her baby missing and a stranger giving her a terrible decision to make if she wants to see her again, and Doyle who not only has a series of murders to solve but also has the added mystery of "Albert", a man who says he has killed his mother. You know these stories must be connected somehow hence you find yourself reading "just one more chapter"!
This is the first book I have read by David Jackson attracted by the price and great reviews and agree it can be read as a stand alone story. I now have the exciting task of playing catchup and reading the first 3 Doyle books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
This book came up as a recommended read for me having just read another crime story. However, crime stories are not my usual choice of fiction and I had some reservations as I realised that it was going to be pretty gruesome at times. Nevertheless at 99p I decided to step out of my comfort zone and give it a go and I wasn't dissapointed. The plot pulled me in immediately and I suspected a massive twist to the tale was in store. Dont want to add any spoilers here but lets just say even though I was expecting a surprise I just didnt see it coming but when it did the plot all falls in to place. This is a story that you will not be able to put down for long so set some free time aside ( tip- perhaps not the best book to read alone in the park!) I want to read his other stories featuring this detective now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gripping story, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
I hadn't read any of the authors previous, but I have to say I will be looking out for more in the future. The pace from the outset was cracking, but without losing any sense of atmosphere. I liked the fact that the story didn't concentrate too much on the detectives private lives/demons/etc but stayed with the protagonist Erin throughout. For me that made the story far more interesting.
This, for me was a book that grabbed you by the shoulders & wouldn't put you down - it's been a while since I've read a book that has really made me go wow!- but this one ticked all the boxes. Highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seats of your pants stuff, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
This was a thrilling, riveting read, full of twists and turns. I was constantly on the edge of my seat as I read. And you if you're a fan of crime fiction whose story revolves around pregnancy/babies then you'll love Lover in Law.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found a new writer who's a keeper!, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely brilliant! The twist at the end was so unexpected - can't wait to download more by this author especially if he writes a follow-up

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 May 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
First time I've read anything by David Jackson and am know hunting out his other books very easy to get into the story hooks you from the start to finish it's everyone's worst nightmare your baby is taken your given an opportunity to get your baby back but how far will you go to rescue your baby great twist at the end which I wasn't expecting

Cry Baby