4.0 out of 5 stars SMART Buy
Bought this a month back. Delivery was quick and as promised.
I bought this for my sitting lounge area.
Pros:
The picture quality is good
Published 1 month ago by Ankur

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite So Smart TV
I received this TV on 17th July having next day delivery via Prime. First impressions were good, it wasn't too difficult to put together, though I found the connections at the back a little tight when setting up the HDMI leads. The software setup was OK, though the 'call centre' music that plays consistently is incredibly irritating. Connection to WiFi worked fine as did...
Published 4 months ago by Mr. F. W. Stead

4.0 out of 5 stars SMART Buy, 3 Oct 2014
Bought this a month back. Delivery was quick and as promised.
I bought this for my sitting lounge area.
Pros:
The picture quality is good
Smart TV functions are very useful and you can sync this TV with your gadgets like smartphone / tablets and control the TV, watch programs (eg: you can sync your ipad with tv, then search and play on ipad but it will run on tv. this way you save ipad battery drain and get a bigger picture for viewing so less strain on your eyes.) My wife discovered this option and its amazing.
The installation is easy and quick. The tv required a software update initially on connection with wifi.
Viewing angles are good, no effect on picture quality.
Light weight and good energy rating.
Cos:
Sound not too good, just an average. For big areas like lounge it will need a sound bar or home theater.

Overall: a very good value for your money. Its totally worth the price.
Caution: Before buying, do work out the screen size you would need based on your viewing distance and room size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung makes great TV's that are best in their class, 28 Sep 2014
Christopher J. Cowen (Glenville, PA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Samsung makes great TV's that surpass every other manufacturer in their class. I have two Samsung's in my house and I can tell you the image is beautiful. This TV has an LED screen and in my opinion this the way to go (LED is similar to LCD its back-lit better so that they are no dark spots on the screen).

Now add in that this TV can directly connect to the internet and I'm sold. TV's of this class have never been cheaper.

One thing that I have found with TV's that its very important to actually look at the TV in person. Now when you look at the TV's, go to a place like Walmart to see them, because many times specialty stores like Best Buy play with the lighting controls on the TV and in the store to skew the image to there advantage. Once you look at the TV simply look and decide which one looks better to you.

The next step to take into consideration is features. Here are a few that come with this TV:

This Samsung comes with Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.

As far as outputs most of these TV's will come with more than enough Inputs and Outputs. This TV comes with 3 HDMI Audio/Video In, 1 Ethernet LAN In/Out, 1 RCA Component Audio/Video In amd 1 Digital Coaxial Audio Out.

Next thing when shopping for a TV is in box technology. Here are some of the features of this TV:

With this Smart HDTV there is a full web browser with WiFi built-in apps made for TV. Some of the apps this TV features is Hulu Plus, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, and Twitter. Browse the web while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online, all on one screen with this Samsung.

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV. Perfect for home use., 9 Sep 2014
Great TV. Bought it 3 months ago & am still very satisfied with it.

* Picture is excellent top marks for clarity & vibrant colours, cannot see any dead pixels so far. HDTV programs & blu-ray movies are a real treat. This TV has finally killed off my love of the DVD & moved me over to blu-ray. The difference is that much.

* Sound is good enough for casual viewing. It is not an immersive "home theatre" but then no flat, lightweight TV ever is.

* Program guide is excellent, fast to move around and record from.

* WiFi has been faultless, as it should be.

* Apps are mostly a waste of time. Only a few dozen available. Youtube & iPlayer came installed.

* Recording programs is very flexible & easy to do.The TV will NOT record onto a USB stick. But plug an external USB hard drive & let the TV format it & voila! Record directly from the remote button or choose your program from the guide.

* Only 2 USB's is a shame as part of this TV's strength is the things you can connect via USB. It plays downloaded files directly off the USB stick better than my PS3 (avi, mkv, only some mp4, mp3. jpeg,) It does not like separate srt subtitles though.

* A standard USB keyboard & mouse both plugged straight in. Browsing the internet with just the remote is agony.

I bought this for the quality of the screen & am happy enough with it that I wrote a review.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic TV, 7 Sep 2014
A great value TV - can't fault it at all. Even the sound is good enough and we sit about 16 feet away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung UE32H5500 32-inch Widescreen Full HD Smart LED TV, 18 Aug 2014
I bought this TV as an upgrade from the Samsung UE32H5000 32-inch Widescreen Full HDTV, believing that it was worth paying the £60 difference to have the ability to record programmes to USB, let alone the ability to connect to the internet and access 4OD; BBCi and ITV Player via Ethernet cable or wireless connectivity.

Others in the family love the internet "Smart TV" function. Myself, I'd rather not have internet access and just access the internet via my computer and display the computer screen display on the TV via HDMI cable. My reason for this is that Samsung and their business partners collect, collate and store information on whatever you view, click on or type, which may include personal information and passwords, which they could, and do, reserve the right to store and share with others. Their lengthy terms and conditions and privacy policy make this clear. If you wish to use the smart TV functions, you have no choice but to accept these terms and conditions. Furthermore, Samsung limit and exclude all liability for any malfunction, loss and associated costs that may arise as a result of TV invasion by virus, malware and other bad stuff.

I am not sure whether or not this TV can be controlled by voice commands, but for models that can operate in such way Samsung and their associates do store a transcript of all words your TV hears. The terms and conditions/privacy policy make it clear that you should avoid discussing sensitive information while voice operated control is activated.

This brings me to another point. On your computer, you know whether or not you have installed antivirus software; you know what you have installed, what it does, and whether or not it is up to date. In comparison, this TV has its own firmware that can be used to scan attachments and devices in order to detect, quarantine, or block bad stuff, but no specification for the firmware is included anywhere, so you don't know exactly what it includes, what it does, or whether it is sufficiently up to date to detect and deal with current online security threats. That said, there is a TV option to switch off wireless internet connectivity, but then you have to re-enter your password via the TV to re-connect if you wish to be re-connected. Both are done by pressing the Menu button on the remote and selecting the "Network Settings" option. So, if you happen to have linked your computer to the TV wirelessly, and don't want Samsung or their partners viewing, storing collating and sharing data on what you view, switching off Wi-Fi connectivity should prevent them spying on you, unless they can still find a way via your router?

Recording to USB works a dream, as does playback. However, the TV requires you to allow it to format your USB stick to FAT32 prior to recording. It was my intention to save the recordings on a Samsung RF711 notebook computer, however, the computer insists that the USB be formatted again before it can be used. The result is that I cannot transfer the recordings to a computer (I tried with an Acer Aspire Notebook computer too and experienced the same problem) for storage or burning to a DVD. So, for me, this TV was not worth the £60 extra to upgrade from the Samsung UE32H5000, but other family members believe the extra functions to be worthwhile. It should be noted that a trustworthy HDD Recorder does cost ~>£100, if you were to buy one to attach to the TV. I guess that you could still experience the same problem when attempting to move files to your computer.

I decided to see whether I could play TS files containing Freeview programmes that I recorded on a Bauer TV and stored on a portable hard drive. The Samsung TV did not require me to format the portable hard drive (only if I wanted to record to it: which would mean, of course, that it would have to be formatted again if I wanted to use the portable hard drive with my computer)in order to display the files, but it could not play the TS files, which was another great disappointment.

I attached our FreeSat box (Make: "Manhattan") to see if we could also access FreeSat channels. The answer is yes, but you can't record them. However, you can record a Freeview channel while watching a FreeSat channel.

Minimal reflection and great picture, even when viewed at an angle. The sound is adequate, provided you turn off the SMART sound adjustment option. The sound, to me (a person free of any hearing defect), sounds a little muffled. I would say it is certainly worth buying a sound bar. Then, I believe this TV would have sound to match the quality of the HD images it displays. However, my partially deaf mother finds the sound perfect (it if far better than what she had become accustomed to previously).

There are lots of settings options specifically for football fans. I can play my PS2 and old DVDs (both NTSC & PAL formats) fine and all look very good. However, the DVD menu screens look poor quality with the images having jagged edges.

Our TV included an IR cable: one end plugs in to the rear of the TV and the other end has a IR sensor, which you place in front of a Blue Ray player, home theatre system, set top box, or X-box (PS3/4 is not listed as an option). Provided the thing you placed it in front of is of a make the TV can recognise (an on screen menu lists compatible makes), you can then control the device using your TV remote. Nothing indicates that this is of any use with an old DVD player, and our make of FreeSat box is not recognised.

Our TV came with a 12 month Samsung Guarantee, so long as you register the product within 14 days of purchase. However, we bought from JohnLewis store and they provide a free guarantee of the product for 5 years. You have the option to sign up to "The Samsung Repair Plan: £79 for 2 years or £119 for 4 years (prices are higher if you paid £300 or more for the TV).

It would have been nice to have a hard copy (printed) of the TV manual included. Instead you get an E-Manual, accessible by pressing the Menu button on the remote and selecting "Support", then E-Manual. A free PDF of the manual can be downloaded from the Samsung website too.

Oddly enough, the TV does not have a power off switch/button. Unless you unplug the TV, standby is the only alternative. Given this, I can't imagine how it got an A+ energy efficiency rating.

One final complaint is that there is a delay of about a second or more between selecting a channel and the channel appearing on the screen. Similarly, when you try to cycle down the channel menu, the guide, or some other menu, there can be an even longer delay moving between options. It would appear that the TV needs quite a bit of time to process commands, particularly if you are moving several places through a menu. This can be frustrating, as you occasionally press a directional button thinking that the TV did not receive the command the first time, only to find it did and that there was just a delay, so now you have moved beyond the selection you wanted to make.

The controller buttons are very sensitive. Numerous times I have accidentally placed a magazine on the controller or picked it up and accidentally changed channels. As there is a slight delay in the TV responding to commands, this is particularly frustrating if you are in the middle of watching a program: more so if you can't remember the number of the channel you were watching!

Playing Video Files:

With regard to supported video codecs, the Samsung UE32H5500, 32-inch TV User Manual (PDF - Newer version) - [ENG]X14DVBEUH-1.113-0626 - states "Certain files, depending on how they were encoded, may not play on the TV".

The following information is provided within the manual (the File Format is listed first, followed by the Container [in brackets, where given], followed by the Video Codec - preceded in the list by a dash):

*.avi - H.264 BP / MP / HP
*.mkv - H.264 BP / MP / HP
*.asf (AVI) - DivX 3.11 / 4 / 5 / 6
*.wmv (MKV) - DivX 3.11 / 4 / 5 / 6
*.mp4 (ASF) - MPEG4 SP/ASP
*.mov (MP4) - MPEG4 SP/ASP
*.3gp (3GP) - Window Media Video v9(VC1)
*.vro (MOV) - Window Media Video v9(VC1)
*.mpg (FLV) - MVC
*.flv - Microsoft MPEG-4 v1, v2, v3
*.vob - Microsoft MPEG-4 v1, v2, v3
*.svi - H.263 Sorrenson 1280x720 MAX 30
*.m2ts - H.263 Sorrenson 1280x720 MAX 30
*.mts - Window Media Video v7(WMV1) ,v8(WMV2)
*.divx - Window Media Video v7(WMV1) ,v8(WMV2)

*webm (WebM) - VP8

This TV would not play MOV files directly from my Panasonic DMC-TZ18 camera. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 20 Aug 2014
Had this for about a week, and writing this on my phone so will be brief.

Very impressed. Excellent tv picture, I have this tv in the bedroom with just an Ariel source but the hd freeview picture quality is excellent (much better than my sky hd on a 42" Panasonic downstairs).

TV is very nice to look at, nice thin bezel.

It doesn't include bolts for wall brackets. If you need them then 40mm m8 bolts are required (£2 on amazon).

I also bought a 500gb usb hard drive for £35. This is a great addition as you can then pause / rewind live tv and record. You can watch one channel and record another, although I have only got this to work from the guide, if I start recording the channel I'm watching then it stops when I change channel so that could be improved.

Smart functions are good. I've connected it via a wired plus Ethernet connection rather than wireless. Worked no problem. Set up was easy.

Also plays content from usb sticks very easily. Just select source and play. So I now have this set up with the hard drive and a 16gb stick so I can easily watch content from any source.

I player etc all work well and I only have about 3mb broadband.

You can screen mirror samsung phones, but the iPhone apps are pretty poor and not really worth downloading.

Overall very impressed for £300.

Christopher J. Cowen (Glenville, PA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Smart TV - BUT cheaper at John Lewis, Currys etc, 7 Oct 2014
Very easy to set up and great picture.

It's a smart TV with apps including BBC iPlayer, ITV, Amazon Prime, Netflix, 4OD and Ch5. The downside is that the navigation with the remote control is a bit fiddly and having the handbook on an e-manual on the TV is annoying and it's not very clear.

That said, it's a great TV. I thoroughly recommend it. But I'd also recommend shopping around for it - sadly, again, Amazon is over-priced. Most retailers are coming in about the £279 mark at the moment, with 5 years cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 19 Oct 2014
I researched countless televisions before committing to buying this one.

It is perfect!

Smart TV allows me to access anything online as well as all the usual catch up services. It also connects to my Samsung phone which blows my mind (but I am a technophobe)

The screen quality is superb, however I have had to adjust the brightness settings but this is very simple to do.

There is a way of pausing live tv and recording programmes etc. but It requires a usb device to do this (I assume it needs a memory device such as usb hard drive storage)

It was also very simple to install and connect with the help of step by step instructions on screen.

Overall very pleased with this purchase, amd definitely recommended out of the other Samsung TV's in this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full-featured smart TV, 29 Aug 2014
Thomas Douglas "TD" (Marlow) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Samsung 40H5500 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Wi-Fi Direct and Freeview HD (Personal Computers)
The H5500 is an excellent full-featured smart TV that does everything you could currently want from a TV, has an excellent picture, and at 40 inches is a good size for most living rooms.

Apart from being a TV, is have the following key extra:
- in-built wifi, so it can update itself and connect with other devices; it can also be connected with a cat 5 cable instead of wifi
- freeview HD built-in
- Samsung smart TV, which has apps such as Netflix and BBC iplayer just a menu button away
- USB ports, so you can play movies, music and photos straight from a usb memory stick
- Smartview, which connects other Samsung devices, allowing you to watch TV on your smartphone or tablet, or send content from these to the TV

Despite all these features it is very easy to use and looks and sounds great.

A perfect family TV. Five stars.