5.0 out of 5 stars Great 40 inch Samsung TV
Published 3 months ago by revcoling

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok but Samsung's customer service is rubbish
Bought this a month ago.
Pros:
Great to look at.
Vibrant colours on screen especially when in HD.
Freeview HD (BBC1, 2, 3, ITV, CH4 and associated children's channels).
Easy and quick network connection (I've got it on wifi).
No problem connecting to my dvd recorder.
Guide button on handset allows previews of other programmes while...
Published 5 days ago by DG

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 40 inch Samsung TV, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Samsung 40H5500 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV with Wi-Fi Direct and Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer) (Personal Computers)
Excellent purchase, very pleased. This was a replacement for a 32inch three year old Toshiba (non smart) which had been poor from the start. Blacks were poor and grainy, sound flat and rattled at anything above quiet, and in the last few months would only work if you turned it off at the mains waited 20 seconds and switched on again. So though it wasn't that old we bought this. What a difference. Great picture and sound that is pleasant to listen to with reasonable power; and because of its very thin surround not that much wider than the 32inch.
It is every much a smart tv. On first run the first thing it does is to get you to get it linked to the internet. Cable or wi-fi is available we chose the latter and setting it up was a breeze. I guess you can use it without this connection but I never explored that but presumably you wouldn't buy a Smart TV to use it as a dumb set. It has a good range of apps built in including all the catch ups, not just BBC iplayer. The inbuilt browser is a bit tortuous using the remote, but that's innevitable, and maybe a bit slower than a PC in reacting- but it works if you need it; I'll stick with iPad and laptop for the most part. You can link into all sorts of other stuff with it's inbuilt hub, which we haven't really explored yet.
It doesn't have a VGA input but my laptop gives a brilliant picture using HDMI so i don't need it. We've a Wii which works well through the VIDEO/sound plugs and a DVD player that's happy with the SCART.
We think it's a great bit of kit, just regret the 3 years with its predecessor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied so far, 13 Feb. 2015
Michael Doyle - See all my reviews
I have had this set for about a week now and have tried quite a few of it's features and can say I am extremely satisfied with my purchase at the moment. Once I plugged in the aerial and power cable I found it a doddle to mount and setup and by following the instructions in the e-manual which I read on screen that helped with everything else.
Everything is so clear and sharp especially the programs in HD. I give it four stars.
Another star is for the delivery. It came two days before delivery date.
Therefore 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full-featured smart TV, 29 Aug. 2014
Tom Douglas (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The H5500 is an excellent full-featured smart TV that does everything you could currently want from a TV, has an excellent picture, and at 40 inches is a good size for most living rooms.

Apart from being a TV, is have the following key extra:
- in-built wifi, so it can update itself and connect with other devices; it can also be connected with a cat 5 cable instead of wifi
- freeview HD built-in
- Samsung smart TV, which has apps such as Netflix and BBC iplayer just a menu button away
- USB ports, so you can play movies, music and photos straight from a usb memory stick
- Smartview, which connects other Samsung devices, allowing you to watch TV on your smartphone or tablet, or send content from these to the TV

Despite all these features it is very easy to use and looks and sounds great.

A perfect family TV. Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars recommended., 23 Dec. 2014
Fantastic Wi Fi connection and a lovely thin design. Great picture quality and the sound quality is good to. Easy to navigate your way through each app.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok but Samsung's customer service is rubbish, 22 May 2015
Bought this a month ago.
Pros:
Great to look at.
Vibrant colours on screen especially when in HD.
Freeview HD (BBC1, 2, 3, ITV, CH4 and associated children's channels).
Easy and quick network connection (I've got it on wifi).
No problem connecting to my dvd recorder.
Guide button on handset allows previews of other programmes while watching current programme.
Smart features allow a range of apps to be used on the TV.
If you're other devices have mirror screening then you can connect effortlessly.

Cons:
Pixelated screen for a few seconds a few seconds after turning on. Doesn't happen when viewing through dvd recorder.
Sound quality not so good: relatively flat compared to the previous LCD TVs I had even after reconfiguring sound output. Haven't tried it through my amp yet.
Major gripe about Samsung's customer service: the box didn't have the screws required to set up the stand and connect the TV. Despite ringing the helpline and then emailing UK customer services several times no screws were forthcoming. In the end went to B&Q and obtained compatible screws after a couple of tries. The original screws were easily 10x the price for what I got from B&Q. Samsung in it to rip us off!

Probably the last Samsung product I'll buy after four phones, camera and a video camera over the last 20 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Sept. 2014
easy to use but had to have help installing but I am a senior citizen technophobe

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, 4 Feb. 2015
Great value for money, set up very easy only glitch was when entering post code so TV could connect to correct regional TV, remember to use upper case and put in space. TV has football mode but we didn't like it, too bright, this isn't a problem we just don't use that function.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice tv, shame it did'nt last long!!!!!!!!!!!, 4 May 2015
The tv arrived well packaged & looked really good out of the box.
The first three days it worked perfectly, the fourth day an intermittent buzz started through the speakers which was annoying to say the least.
The fifth day when we turned it on, all we could get was a blue blank screen with sound that could only be rectified by turning it off & then on, needless to say, packed it all back up and returned for a refund.
If you buy this tv unpack it with care & keep all the bags/packaging etc, because you may need them for a return
We have now ordered a sony, the same make as our six year old one & never had a problem
Good luck

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing picture., 14 Oct. 2014
The picture is amazing, the main reason why I chose this TV. I mostly use my PS4 for gaming now, and I must say I love it! I haven't tried out any of the other features that the Smart TV has to offer, but that seems to have great features to. If your looking for a good TV for a decent amount, then this is great. The reason why I wouldn't of given this a 4 star is due to the sound, the same with most thin TV's, but there is no problem in that as I definitely will purchase a sound bar.

Pro's
-Excellent picture
-VESA holes on the back for wall mounting, I was going to get the SONY Bravia but decided not to as it didn't have any VESA holes on the back to wall mount, which was a shame.
-Easy to set up, access apps etc.
-Great design, thin bezel.
-Great overall TV

Con's
-The sound isn't to good, but same with most of the TV's now. That's why I wouldn't of given it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing tv, picture quality is superb, 27 Dec. 2014
This is an amazing tv, picture quality is superb, sound is great and the design is sleek and very modern! The only thing I would recommend is, with the border around the screen being so slimline the actual size of the to unit is quite small. I went form a 37 inch screen to this 40 inch and the overall size of the new TV looks smaller, I found myself wishing I'd got the size up from the 40 cause as our tv on the wall it looks as if it's a little too small , therefore I would say check the size is what suits your home, maybe in a store before you order!