5.0 out of 5 stars Well priced 32" TV with excellent picture quality
This was a second TV purchase, I have a 40" (Samsung) downstairs in the front room and wanted something big, but not massive for upstairs.
The samsung is quite well priced for 32" screen model, it doesn't have any big wow features (no smart features) but does the job pretty well for the price and the screen is excellent in terms of clarity and detail

My...
Published 8 months ago by Mr Baz

1.0 out of 5 stars Samsung 0 - Amazon 0 - Customer -10
The backlight is terribly uneven and develops serious spots which gradually get worst and these are visible in more solid backgrounds.
The image also goes dim and dark in some scenes and stays that way thereafter, when you try to access the menu the brightness/contrast goes through the roof and you left with images that burn your retinas.

The few times it...
Published 2 months ago by McCoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Well priced 32" TV with excellent picture quality, 4 Jun. 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)

My quick fire good and bad list

Pros:
+ Good value for a 32" TV
+ Full HD 1080p 1920 x 1080 LED backlit display, it looks great with excellent contrast, details and colours. Good viewing angles too.
+ Has freeview/freeview HD built in
+ USB input for playing back movie/music/photos
+ Headphone socket, Scart and Digital audio out
+ Supplied remote works well and has good range
+ Slim bezel, TV's are getting better here less case more compact size

Cons:
- Limited to 2x HDMI inputs (enough for me but for front room use you might want more)
- Sound output lacks bass response, it's loud enough and not too bad, but like a lot of lower priced TV's sound is acceptable but nothing to shout about. I'd look to invest in a sound bar if sound is a high priority
- No smart/or wired/wireless LAN (not a problem for me at this price point and not required I have devices to do this)

This fitted my needs very well as I wanted something decent but didn't require any network abilities (I've plenty of devices that I can stream from to meet this need) Picture quality is very good easily as good as my main TV downstairs if not a bit better in some ways... very impressive in this area. Do take a bit of time to adjust the settings though there are a number of easy pre-set profiles (or you can adjust it yourself, def boost the bass response over the default) these make quite a difference over the standard settings out of the "box" so to speak

Very happy with the TV overall recommended and a good buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Price, 12 Aug. 2014
For price/picture quality it can't be beat. It's even on par with more expensive models in terms of picture quality. I never cared for all the smart TV stuff just wanted a TV that focuses on picture quality first and this fit my needs perfectly. Can't comment on standard def picture with this as only use it for high deinition stuff and it really shines.

There is one issue though, the infamous Samsung panel lottery where the same model TV has a different panel in other than a Samsung one. According to those in the know quality can vary greatly depending on which panel you get. For more info on all this google will give you more details. Mine has a Samsung panel according to the hidden service menu on the TV so I'm basing this review off that panel. But I doubt I would have noticed much difference with another panel in, but wrote this to let people know.

Also one more thing is the picture out of the box can do with some calibration. The best settings I found from looking on forums and calibating with a few tools I have are as follows. Makes a huge difference and brings out this TV's excellent picture. Try them yourself, see what you think, can always change the settings if you don't like those settings.:

Picture Mode: Movie
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Colour Space: Auto
White Balance: leave as it is set
Gamma: 0
Motion Lighting: Off
Picture Options
Colour Tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Normal
Film Mode: Auto 2

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're anything like me you see that this TV is labeled as ..., 8 Jan. 2015
If you're anything like me you see that this TV is labeled as LED; then you look at the picture and see a lot of fat for the usual Samsung LED depth. Make no mistake this is an LED TV. I got this for my bedroom to replace my 23 inch Samsung Syncmaster. I use this TV mostly for 1080 mp4 movies and blurays (I download what I want to watch instead of waiting for it on cable), and my Xbox One and PS3.This is my old Syncmaster - in this moment i use him as my computerscreen:

I learned 2 things about the TV right off the bat. If you have Comcast, you cannot fully customize the TV's picture. An essential feature called HDMI black levels actually looks much better when its set to low. I have 2 different Comcast HD boxes and since neither of them broadcast at 1080, this feature is locked out. Long story short, Comcast had me thinking I purchased my first dud from Samsung. Seriously, the colors look washed out and none of the channels really had that crisp clear picture I was hoping for. If you plan to use this solely for Comcast, I can't really recommend it. In fact, I've always found blu ray quality to be so much better than cable that I've stopped using cable for anything but football and cartoons. Movies MUST be in my PS3's blu ray player or my own 1080p files.

The second thing I learned about is what the depth is for. Samsung didn't advertise this (or maybe its just my TV), but I have absolutely NO BACKLIGHT BLEED. When Black Ops goes to the loading screen on my Xbox, it gets so dark that I think the TV is off! The only indication that it is on is the Black Ops logo in the corner spinning. There isn't even the SLIGHTEST inkling of white anywhere! I'm not exaggerating. The obvious second reason why this TV is fat for an LED is that Samsung made an effort to improve the sound. When I turn on the HD surround coupled with the movie option, there is much more bass than I thought it would be. THe explosions in my games and the soundtracks in movies sound vastly better than I thought they would. Granted, I am not the type to go out and spend 600 on some Bose speakers, but the sound is NOT a con for me this time around. So i bought this speakers and now im satisfied:

NOW ON TO THE PICTURE

As I said, I was not exactly thrilled with the picture RIGHT off the bat. It looked like my old 23 inch Syncmaster, just a lot bigger. Let me tell you, this is not one of those TV's that look great right out of the box. You have to toy around with the settings a bit to get the optimal picture. I wanted sharpness coupled with colors that pop like crazy.....and I got it. Dynamic is the brightest setting, but I coupled this with the HDMI black levels set to low (option not available for Comcast cable box) and voila, moving photographs! I'm not a pro but this is my setup:

Mode: Dynamic

Backlight: 18

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 80

Color: 70

TInt: G/R 50/50

Standard color tone with screen fit in the additional options, with HDMI black level set to low.

My games and blurays look AMAZING. The picture is easily better than my mom's 46 inch Samsung up front. REMEMBER that some of the good options are cut off from Comcast and the use of component cables. In games, I do have to up the brightness or gamma a little, but it ends up looking BRILLIANT. I am going through my entire library of games and they feel like entirely new experiences! There is a 32 inch 720p option as well, but I just was not comfortable with 720p max. The new game consoles are gojng to have native 1080 so that's what I wanted. BTW did I mention I'm a big gamer?
Dont forget, if you want to play on Xbox or PS3 i really recommend you a highspeed hdmi, you will see why!

THE CONS

Well I saw this TV up on Amazon before it was on Samsung's website. Yeah, WOW. Sometimes I wanted to see the TVs specs from Samsung directly before I made my buy. Make no mistake this is NOT a 120 HZ tv although it is labeled as one. I have no idea what clearmotion 120 is, but it makes my TV much darker. The feature is entirely useless and does nothing to the picture or add the "soap opera" effect like I had hoped (it looks great for games).

WITH A COMCAST CABLE BOX I could see no difference between HDMI and component. I kept switching back and fourth, but since the max output is 1080i, there were no differences in picture.

The last iteration of this TV had 4 HDMIs. What happened?

VERDICT

With a lot of tweaking, I got the picture to look beautiful. I will use my Comcast box sparingly, but I might move to FIOS if the support full 1080. Watching movies on my PS3 and playing games on my Xbox stopped me from returning the TV. I will not be surprised if this set gets bad reviews from Comcast users (even though Its not Samsung's fault). I'm a "videophile" and this passed my personal test with vibrant colors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb tv set for under £250, 6 Sept. 2014
What a superb tv set. Who wants smart tv's anyway, a tv is a tv. get a life! I spent some time changing the settings to what another Amazon amateur reviewer recommended on 12 th Aug., and was very disheartened to see washed out colour. Changed the setting back to 'Natural'. and hey presto, superb colour, prettty good sound and everything sparkling like proper proffesional reviewers have said this set can produce!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... TV a couple of days ago and I'm really happy with it, 16 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Samsung UE40H5000AKXXU 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Slim LED TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
Received this TV a couple of days ago and I'm really happy with it. Although I've not got too much to add that other reviews haven't, I would add that the guide is extremely good. It's always annoying when you go to the guide and it automatically changes the channel as you move, thankfully this isn't the case here, Samsung appear to have nailed it in this area.

My only complaints would be that the various ports and slots are mounted fairly high on the TV, which makes things quite tight on cable length. For instance, we have optical cable for the sound system, and I had to shuffle everything about to get it to reach, just seems a little unnecessary.

I wouldn't consider these very minor faults to be an issue, it's a great set, very sleek and stylish and at the price we paid a total snip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung UE32H5000 32-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD LED TV with Freeview HD, 17 Aug. 2014
This is the first good HD tv that we have ever owned. I was looking for a trustworthy make with a good model for less than £260. After comparing various Samsung, Sony and Panasonic models, I settled on this, preferring it over the Sony KDL32R433 as, when viewing both TVs on display in the shop, the Samsung certainly had noticeably superior sound, even though there is only 4W of difference between speakers of the two TVs.

The only disappointment is that this TV does not permit the recording of programmes to USB or portable hard drive. There is very little reflection from the screen, the picture is sharp and crisp, there are many options to adjust colour and associated settings. No motion blur, frozen/dead pixels. The sound is good, though to my ears a little stuck within the telly/muffled, for want of a better way of potting it. There is nothing wrong with my hearing, I should point out. That said, the sound is sufficiently good enough that I do not consider the purchase of a sound bar necessary, though of course it would be a nice and would make the TV sound top notch. Even my partially deaf mother considers this TV's sound to be sufficiently loud enough and clear enough for her to enjoy programmes.

We just have a normal aerial, but we can receive and display a number of HD channels, via Freeview, using this TV. Previously, with our old Bauer TV we could not access and display these HD channels via Freeview (that TV cost £147 and packed up after just one year and ten months).

I can play my PS2 and old DVDs (both NTSC & PAL formats) fine and all look very good. However, the DVD menu screens look poor quality with the images having jagged edges. When viewing the standard, non HD channels, pictures are noticeably less crisp, as though the footage has been captured during a heat wave. By that, I mean that if you were to lay on a tarmac surface on a hot day and view someone sitting further away on the tarmac, they would appear to "shimmer" - you get a kind of "heat ripple" - that, to a minor degree is what viewing standard channels is like. Also, when viewing standard programmes, when people move their heads, pixels blur and merge a little, giving a less crisp appearance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb quality, 29 Dec. 2014
After 10 years of happy marriage to my massive Toshiba widescreen (the old fashioned type the size of a fridge freezer) I finally decided it was time to move into the 21st century and purchase one of these new fangled LED TVs the width of a paperback book.

With so many LED TVs out there, I spent literally hours researching these blasted things, until my head was spinning! By the end of it, I was almost an expert in the field! I had written off any HD Ready TVs pretty early on and decided that Full HD was the best option (luckily my budget allowed for it) and I knew that 32 inches was the maximum size I needed, so all that was left was to find a decent make with good reviews. I've since learned that trying to buy a specific electrical item during the Christmas sales is a big mistake - everywhere either has very limited stocks, or they remove anything which isn't in the sale until later on - at least five stores I approached said this model wasn't available. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I finally got my hands on this little beauty, and I must say it's a cracker! From tearing open the box, it was set up and running within 20 minutes. No glitches, no head scratching - just a lovely stress-free experience over a cup of tea! I've not used the built in FreeView, opting instead to connect it up to a HD Freesat box, and the picture quality is really really good - I couldn't be happier. The sound also is perfect - some reviews have mentioned the sound not being that great and requiring a sound bar to assist, but to my ears at least it is spot on.

Give me another 10 years and I might upgrade my DVD player to Blu-ray too!

For the price I paid, I can’t imagine getting anything better than this, and with a 5-year guarantee thrown in, it is an absolute bargain.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Design, Great Picture Quality, Great Value, 13 Oct. 2014
This TV produces a great picture and if you're not worried about it being Smart or having 3D capabilities, then it's a must have. You'll be hard pressed to find a TV as affordable as this one, and it's super simple to use.

I'm used to having a Smart TV, but at this price decided that it would be better to buy this and then a separate set-top box, settled for the Amazon Fire TV in the end, after lots of debate between my partner and I. We've not yet received the Fire TV, but we're impressed, we're able to easily play content from USB, although it wouldn't support my 4TB external HD, which my LG TV does.

For an additional cost you can make this a wireless TV by plugging in a special USB from Samsung, that means you could share files from a PC or Mobile device easily and quickly, without having to buy anything outrageously expensive, or plug anything into the TV.

If you're looking for a bedroom TV, then this is perfect. It's nice and large so you don't have to worry about squinting, and it's affordable and adaptive enough to ensure that you get more from a TV than just standard Freeview. Picture quality and the actual design are impeccable as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic tv, 24 Jun. 2014
Great picture quality and good sound if a little hollow. Use movie picture setting for best overall picture. Small amount of motion blur on a fast moving football but this is an LED tv problem and I can live with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb picture quality, 28 Jun. 2014
Initial impression is 5 star. Really crisp picture and sound is pretty good too. To get the best out of the screen you need to adjust the settings a bit. I found that dynamic image and cinema sound gave the best result for us.
You need to set the picture definition seperately for each input type as they are all initially set as standard - and altering one does not alter the setting on the other inputs.
Overall, excellent value