5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful.... simply beautiful
Published 12 months ago by Rachael Murfet

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recording; you'll love this if you love Jenkins.
I like this music but a whole CD of it is too much in one go. I find it a bit 'same-y'. Some tracks far better than others - and surely this is all just a personal judgement thing anyway. The recording is excellent.
Published 9 months ago by pamela1965

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful.... simply beautiful, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Karl Jenkins: Motets (Audio CD)
I wasn't going to buy this CD as I have most of the tracks on other CD's. I actually bought it on the train on the way home from Karl Jenkins 70th birthday concert at the Royal Albert Hall. I am listening to it now and it is quite simply stunning. Yes, I know most of the tracks but they have been rearranged (slightly!) and are unaccompanied. This means that the haunting lines and melodies are completely laid bare and are a joy to behold! If you like Jenkins, then buy it - you will not be dissappointed! If you have never heard any Jenkins then buy it as a taster - you will be off out to buy the full works on CD before very long!

Can't rate it highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars New, fresh approach, 8 Jun. 2014
CycleRacing (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Karl Jenkins: Motets (Audio CD)
If you like the music of Karl Jenkins, then this cd is a must have!

Many of the pieces of music in the collection of music on this cd will be recognised by people who know his music. But it has been rearranged and the way it has been done is amazing. It sounds so pure and just simply beautiful. It's a whole new way of hearing his music. You need an open mind to accept that the pieces won't sound like the versions we all know and love, but I'm very impressed with all the music throughout this recording.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine collection of a cappella choral works, 27 July 2014
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Karl Jenkins: Motets (Audio CD)
This is a collection of 19 motets, some of them taken from previously issued CDs (‘The Armed Man’, ‘The Peacemakers’ ‘Requiem’, ‘Stabat Mater’, ‘Adiemus’, ‘Gloria’, ‘Stella Natalis’) but in new a cappella arrangements and sung by Polyphony under the direction of Stephen Layton. The other tracks are of original recordings. I particularly like a cappella recordings as the purity of the human voice comes through without being obliterated in places by thick orchestral textures. If you enjoy this composer's melodies and harmonies, you will love this CD. Polyphony make a beautiful sound and it's refreshing to hear the different arrangements of pieces I already know quite well. It's like hearing Barber's Adagio in its choral setting for the first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars The motets do grow on you!, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Karl Jenkins: Motets (Audio CD)
I already had the Karl Jenkins platinum collection which is undoubtedly the best CD purchase I have ever made so I had high expectations of this CD. It's taking time to get used to hearing some of the tracks without orchestra and, in the case of the Adiemus tracks without the African influence. Having said that Exultate Jubilate is absolutely fantastic and probably one of the most inspirational pieces even the superb Jenkins has ever written. For me it is so good it justified the cost of the whole CD - it's that good! The rest is growing on me so I've only given this 4 rather than 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recording; you'll love this if you love Jenkins., 9 Aug. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Music to touch the heart., 30 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Karl Jenkins: Motets (Audio CD)
Wonderful harmonies. Well balanced choral singing. Melodies that remain for a long time. Can listen again and again. Delightful recording.

4.0 out of 5 stars Karl jenkins motets, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Karl Jenkins: Motets (Audio CD)
Karl is one of our prestigious composers. I have many of his works, and have been to many of his concerts.

This Cd is fine for those who need an introduction to his work as most of the pieces are from previous compositions.

He is in my opinion one of the greatest. The Peace makers both on Cd and live are truly amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent a Capella versions of some of Karl Jenkins' better ..., 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Karl Jenkins: Motets (Audio CD)
Excellent a Capella versions of some of Karl Jenkins' better known works. Lullaby and The Shepherd are very seasonal for Carol Concerts and are really beautiful works for any choir to attempt. I am purchasing both of these for the choir of which I am Chairman, the St Laurence Singers of Morecambe.
Peter Crowther

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have for Fans, 13 Oct. 2014
Paul G. Gertenbach (Hudson, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karl Jenkins: Motets (Audio CD)
If you are a Karl Jenkins fan, this is a must have album. Perhaps all of the tunes will be familiar, but sung this way they seem new and fresh. This CD sets a completely different mood than any of his others and you will find yourself listening to it quite often in a wide variety of settings.

Superb!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Choral Music, 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Karl Jenkins: Motets (Audio CD)
I first heard a piece from this album on Classic fm from the UK. Ordered it and was extremely impressed with Karl Jenkins understanding of the choral sound and content. I am recommending it to our conductor for a future performance.

Karl Jenkins: Motets [+digital booklet]