5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right level of detail, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Mount Kilimanjaro: Trekkers Guide to the Summit (Kindle Edition)
I often find travel guides have too much information. For me, this guide had just the right balance. It covered all the main pieces of information that I wanted to know about Tanzania, the mountain, the various routes and how to prepare.

The most valuable bits for me were the kit list, tipping guidance and the overview on AMS.

The detailed route descriptions might not be for everyone and to be honest I skipped the ones that I wasn't going to trek, but did find the maps for my route – Machame – very useful.

Definitely worth the price tag and the few hours it took to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on Kili, 8 May 2014
A very helpful guide with just the right level of detail. The top tips at the end of each section are really good, as are the little nuggets of wisdom like how to choose the best hiking boots or the benefits of taking baby wipes! Really glad I read this guide and now I can’t wait to get to Tanzania.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me excited about the climb again!, 29 April 2014
Ana Filimosina (UK) - See all my reviews
I found this book via Mark's blog and having browsed around it I already got a fair picture of what to expect from my climb. Apart from all the nitty-gritty things and more practical approach to gear shopping, which is great by the way, I realised that the whole idea of going up the highest mountain in Africa started to grow into yet another project: pack this, prepare for that, don't forget to learn… and remember. I understand that this is a serious business, but I started to concentrate so hard on trying to not forget anything, that I completely forgot to enjoy this preparation and almost lost my excitement. Having read this book I got this excitement back, I gives me a sense of being in control, which then leaves time and space for realisation of what a great thing I'm about to do, which I will recall for the rest of my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 28 April 2014
A really informative guide that has provided me with all the information I was looking for to prepare for Kili. The guide is very well set-out, covers key topics like routes, acclimatisation, equipment and fitness in detail, as well as provides great information on Tanzania, Kilimanjaro and the surrounding geography. Definitely a resource I would recommend to anyone preparing to trek Kilimanjaro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice read. Totally ready for Kili now, 19 April 2014
I was recommended this guide by a friend and must say I am so glad I bought it. I never realised how much preparatory work there is for Kili. Before reading the guide I was totally ignorant of fundamental things like acute mountain sickness and high altitude trekking. The information on acclimatisation is brilliant and has just the right level of detail. Especially useful for me was the equipment checklist and recommendations, as was the daily route descriptions and maps. I would recommend this guide for anyone planning to trek Kilimanjaro.