The Philips Perfect Aqua Iron is a 'state of the art' product and makes light-work of a basketful of clothing, sheets and so on.
It's versatility with all manner of fabrics, automatically adjusting from cotton to nylon and to the most delicate of items is a great advantage.

Published 29 days ago by Champollion

3.0 out of 5 stars Efficient but bulky and noisy
Published 16 days ago by B. Smyth

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'State of the Art' Iron with a Professional feel. Ideal for all Types of Demand and Use., 24 Aug 2014
Champollion (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips GC8638/20 PerfectCare Aqua Iron Steam Generator with One Perfect Temperature and 280 g Steam Boost, 2500 ml, 2400 Watt, 5.3 Bar, Navy (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I have had an 'ordinary' Philips steam iron for many years, and it has done a good job, so no complaints there.
However, this latest model is a giant step towards perfection.

The positives are,
You can iron for longer as the container/stand has a large capacity of water, utilised for the steam.
You don't have to alter the settings as it is done automatically.
The iron itself is lighter in weight and easier to use and longer as a result. (No aching arms!)
The results of it's use are perfect, with the ready access of steam.

There are no negatives in terms of performance. However the total size of the iron with the container/stand is larger of course.
It can rest quite easily at the end of the ironing board although occasionally I have placed the stand/container on a worktop adjoining the ironing board.

It has all the hallmarks of a professional iron-and for a large family, with lots of demand-an ideal product.

I have used it for almost a month and found it to be without issues and produces good results.
The instant steam feature is excellent.
All in all, a really good product. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Efficient but bulky and noisy, 7 Sep 2014
B. Smyth "smyth86" (Crawley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first things you can't hep but notice when you first take it out the box is it's sheer size! The iron itself is smaller than my old iron but is a lot heavier. The 2.5l water tank it sits on is very large too. This isn't in itself a problem but is probably worth knowing if you have a small ironing board or don't have a lot of space to store it. Of course the main advantage of this is that the tank is large enough to iron multiple loads of washing in one go without having to refill.

Moving to the performance of the iron. Well, it is an improvement over my normal iron. There are no settings, you just fill the water chamber and turn it on. It claims you can leave the iron on a surface whilst turned on and it won't burn it. Not something I have tried obviously, but from leaving it on the ironing board itself, it would appear this is true. It doesn't take long to heat up either. As an actual ironing device, it is very effective indeed, and without having the worry about accidentally burning things. The main advantage over my regular iron is the fact that there are no settings and I can iron from silk to cotton & back again without having to wait for it to heat up or cool down.

There is a button under the handle which, when pressed, gives an extra boost of steam, This can be double-pressed for a permanent boost so you don't have to hold the button down, but this is where it gets very noisy. So much so that I have given up using it while the TV is on because we just can't hear it!

If you've only got one or two items at a time to iron then a normal iron will probably suffice, if you do many loads of washing and save your ironing up for a quiet evening, this will definitely help. The noise however, does mean you'll have to find something other than the TV to watch whilst doing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The king of all iron's....., 1 Sep 2014
A R Hartley "Monkey" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Now i'll be perfectly honest, i'm not the man for ironing, in fact if i can get away with it, i won't do the ironing at all and if a tshirt looks smooth enough, its worn!.

But there are time's when after being shouted at, i have to indulge in some of this horrible activity in fear of being hit by a shoe. Now lately, since the arrival of our little princess, the amount of clothes that need washing and ironing as increased 10 times. Considering my little one does nothing but fart, laugh and feed, its amazing how many clothes she gets through, so the amount of clothes that need ironing is starting to pile up.

So ironing baby clothes is a pretty simple affair, but with our old iron it was a pain, the cord was always and i mean always tangled, no matter what. It also seemed to get really hot when it felt like it and also the steam part of the old iron often felt under powered and also was prone to blocking and firing un-evenly.

This however i suppose is the bad boy of irons. First off its a bit bigger than your standard iron. With the base being the water container, it has to be large so if your limited on space, i wouldn't recommend it. The unit itself holds tons of water, around 2 and half litres, so you can get plenty of ironing done without the need to refill it often or at all, during a single ironing marathon. It states 3 and half hours but i reckon more closer to 2 and half depending on how you iron.

When ironing it glides across the clothes without a problem, my old iron felt like it was sticking sometimes, this however doesnt, kinda feels like its going across ice, really smooth. The iron itself is rather light, about 1kg according to the box. The base has all the weight though so all together it feels a bit heavy but nothing bad.

At our house theres only 3 of us including the mini me but there always seems to be a ton of ironing, using this however we tend to get through it faster (us as in my misses) she seems to swear less in fact, which is always a good sign. We usually finish with plenty of water left in the steam section too.

Overall, it looks great, can handle a ton of ironing so it's really ideal for medium to large families, makes ironing alot easier. Downsides it can take up a bit of space, a bit heavy and not ideal for small families.

Is it worth the price tag? well you will get your use out of it, so yes, plus it's philips so it's well made and will last!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic iron, 1 Sep 2014
Ash (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The PerfectCare range from Philips is simply amazing - you will get through your ironing in record time. It is to regular irons as a the Batmobile is to a Ford Focus - faster, bigger, and packing some serious heat!!

The steam pressure generated by the tank just canes through creases in EVERYTHING. We have 500 thread-count cotton flat sheets, pillow cases and duvet cover, all plain taupe. The potential for creasing is obvious, and with a normal iron it would be a massive chore to get them all looking crisp and hotel-fresh. The PerfectCare just blasts through them! It takes me max 5 mins to iron a huge sheet. Due to the steam pressure available, you only ever have to make one pass over the material, making it much faster to do all your ironing.

The actual iron is lighter than a standard iron because it has no reservoir built in - the water all sits in the tank and only steam is passed up to the iron. The tank is very large and certainly heavy when full (top-tip: fill it AFTER you've set it all up and are happy with the positioning). Luckily the cord is long enough that you can put the tank on a table or counter nearby rather than perch it on your ironing board.

The pressure is quick to generate,and a tank will last you your whole wardrobe - 2 hours plus. You'll likely have to empty the reservoir rather than refill it! There is no temperature control cos the OptimalTEMP tech inside somehow allows you to use the same temperature setting for everything. Most of my ironing is just cotton shirts anyway, but it's nice to now that I'll always be protected if I happen to use it on something more delicate.

This is the penultimate iron in the current range - for the vast majority of people this will certainly be easily powerful enough to handle even a large family's ironing needs. The next model up offers marginally more steam pressure, but the tank is nearly half the capacity. I cannot think why you would need that extra pressure - unless you are ironing your lawn or something!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with my first steam generator iron, 1 Sep 2014
Mr. Guy Mcevoy "Geek In Denial" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
OK, first up a disclaimer - this is my first steam generator iron, so my personal point of comparison is against regular irons and the price, rather than against other steam generator irons. I'm also an occasional (and poor) ironer, so if you're a professional launder just ignore my review!

Two things have always put me off steam generator irons - the cost and the size. The first is still a valid concern, this machine is expensive. The second isn't the worry I thought it would be. On opening this, yes it is big for an iron, but not so big as I was expecting. It wouldn't be too much of a chore to quickly get this out to do the odd shirt.

What I like about it most is the weight of the iron bit. If you've used a traditional iron before with the water tank built into the bit you hold, then that's far heavier than the bit you hold here, so the difference in weight makes this seem easier. I also really like that there is just the one temperature for all fabrics. I've ruined clothes in the past, but in theory that shouldn't be possible with this.

I can't really think of any downsides other than the price. I guess if you have a large family and constant laundry then very quickly on a per use basis this will become less of a concern if it makes that time go quicker and the ironing easier. My sense having tried this for a few things now is that it does. I'm still rubbish at ironing - but this certainly helps me get my imperfectly ironed shirt to a standard I'm happy to wear quicker that my traditional iron. It's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Any old Iron?, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When is an iron not an iron?

As I found out using my previous model, a steam generator is related to irons in looks only. They produce a massive amount of steam which the 'hand unit' (not iron) glides over, whereas other, cheaper products must essentially semi-burn clothes to remove creases.

In short, this is a steam cleaner which will allow you to quickly - very quickly - whizz through piles of creased laundry.

It is an expensive bit of kit, but providing it lasts a few years, from a time saving perspective, it is worth it!

I got my first steam generator iron a couple of years ago - and frankly there is no going back, once you have got used to the amount of steam produced, and the consequent speed at which you can whip through even over dry creased cotton shirts - of which I seem to have a lot to get through.

These Philips models are a great buy. The design is good and the functionality more so. The only real downside that I can see - but this is common to all steam generators, is that the machine is fairly heavy to carry (tip: take out the water container when moving the machine), and you really do need an ironing board that is big enough for the base to sit on safely. The main USP of these Philips models that they run at lower temperature, which I presume must be ecologically friendly as well as minimising the chance of burning delicate items.

The next question is which of the Philips machines to buy. Having tried both the GC8638/20 and the GC8616/30, I think that there is only marginal difference in the steam output - both are fine. I do like the iron lock on the more expensive machine - having had the iron fall off when I was moving it around on the other machine. Main point is though that both are very good machines. If you are thinking of getting a steam generator iron for the first time - buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful time saving elements, but it is big, 16 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had seen these different "models" of the humble iron and wasn't really quite sure how they worked.

Well the major difference is that instead of the water being poured into a chamber incorporated into the iron you pour it into a much larger chamber (2.5 litre capacity). This is then delivered to the iron down a pipe (which is covered by insulation which also has the power to the iron). The upside of this is that you don't need to keep filling the water reservoir as often. The downside is that the water chamber is a pretty hulking piece of kit which you need to find somewhere to stand during use and for storage. I'm not sure that the time saving makes it worthwhile.

The other key feature of this iron is that steam (rather than excessive heat) is the answer to good ironing results. By focussing on stream this iron removes the need to change temperature settings according to the fabric being ironed. It does so by recognising that steam can provide the necessary heat to remove creases rather than heating the soleplate of the iron to higher temperatures for fabrics which need that higher temperature. This also means that you can actually put the iron flat on the ironing board when in use and it won't burn it. (In fact the design and the way the cord is attached means that you could not stand it up even if you wanted to.

The results are perfectly acceptable. I couldn't say that it was quicker ironing each garment, but the time saving comes from a) less frequent filling of the chamber and b) no need to worry about temperature. So pretty good.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite steam iron so far, 27 July 2014
Andrew "impulsive gadget buyer" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had a number of Philips perfect care steam generator irons now and they have been consistently excellent producing great results.

One thing that has always been a negative for me with them is size. In a domestic setting they are great, especially if you have a mountain of clothes generated by a family. But they can be somewhat cumbersome just to setup for the odd shirt. I'm happy to say this iron and more recent ones form Philips have been getting smaller and more compact.

This is where the Philips PerfectCare Pure GC8638/20 scores a big win for me. It is compact. You take a slight hit on the bar pressure and steam boost, and obviously the water reserve is smaller but I found then in everyday items the results to me were undistinguishable from the larger ones. In fact I love the sleeker look and the colour scheme.

One thing that cannot be overemphasised enough though is it's size. You could leave it setup but it is compact enough to get it out on demand or for the occasional shirt. The unit is a lot more streamlined than previous ones and as mentioned suffers nothing as a result.

In this particular iron there are one or two trade offs that don't warrant losing a star in my opinion. The water tank is non-removable and there stowage for the cable is a less sophisticated affair compared to previous models in so much as you just tuck it away on this one rather than coiling it back into the unit.

I love this little iron. It produces great results and does so in a form the strikes a brilliant balance between size and capability. The iron has no trouble munching through a family load of ironing and the results are very impressive. This is so far my favourite steam generator due to the compact size that stills produces excellent results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes ironing a lot easier!, 1 Sep 2014
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I never thought I'd say an iron is brilliant, but here I find myself with no other way of being able to describe this particular iron.

I HATE ironing, with a passion. It takes too much time, its boring and I'm not very good at it.

I've never had a steam iron, and the concept of spending this much on one was to me - crazy. However, I now find myself wondering why I didn't buy one before.

The fact of the matter is that this steam iron has made me iron a lot quicker - noticeably so. And I no longer have to worry about leaving stuff on the washing line for too long - this iron produces so much steam that it still gets all the creases out.

But to me the main thing is that I no longer have to freak out when ironing certain materials as this iron literally lets you iron all clothes, silk, polyester, all of it. It just works, no burning or more importantly, leaving unsightly colour changes.

I love the fact that the actual iron is extremely light, it means you get less tired whilst doing the ironing, yes the actual unit is fairly big, and it is more of a pain to store the device, however it is absolutely superb so it's worth it.

I was impressed by how much steam this produces, I barely ever have to wait for it to generate steam.

This is a great product, and if you do a fair amount of ironing I recommend it. Also, it has an automatic de-scaling system, so it is pretty low maintenance too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Does all the hard work for you!, 16 Aug 2014
Miss "crazyminx" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is my first time owning a Steam Generator iron, and I have to say I hope I never need to go back to a regular iron! This takes a lot of the hard work out of ironing, making it both easier and quicker.

The iron looks stylish, and although the base unit is heavy, the iron itself is considerably lighter than my previous irons and is comfortable to hold. The size of the water reservoir means you can iron for hours without needing to refill, and the fact that you don't need to adjust the iron depending on what fabric you are dealing with seems almost revolutionary! The iron makes short work of removing the creases from anything from jeans to delicates. You can even set the iron down on the ironing board without any negative effects!

I would have appreciated longer cables, both from base unit to iron, and base unit to power source. At the moment the maneuverability is somewhat limited, especially seeing as a full base unit is too heavy to sit on the ironing board. Also, at this price it seems churlish not to include an appropriate jug to fill the base unit with.

It's not quite perfect, but it is an incredibly smart, powerful machine which I am thrilled to have and which makes life easier.