4.0 out of 5 stars This journey will need time
Why do people always rush to brandish a new album as a masterpiece, surely they've learned by now that the best albums are the ones that take time to explore and months later you're still hearing new things. This album I suspect will be much the same.

Published 10 months ago by Adimus

3.0 out of 5 stars They've Done Better
Published 9 months ago by Malcolm Robertson

3.0 out of 5 stars They've Done Better, 1 July 2014
Malcolm Robertson (Moscow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Satellites (Audio CD)
I agree with Martyn Hewitt's review. This album starts out as a good continuation from their previous album Weather Systems. Unfortunately the last four or five tracks dissolve into a huge disappointment. Anathema has developed a style to take you on a journey so well executed on Weather Systems, We're Here Because We're Here and others. The haunting vocals of Lee Douglas appear briefly in the first few tracks and then she disappears. The music is generally mushy, gone is the musical crispness of previous albums. Anathema is a tight band with good musicians but this album overplays orchestral strings, there is but one major lead guitar solo on the whole album and the venture into computerised noise, rhythm in the last few tracks is honestly below the standards they should be setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars This journey will need time, 11 Jun. 2014

I'm a long term fan of Anathema, musically I've grown in parallel with this band. I love their music and I love that fact that their music nearly always takes time to sink in and take hold.

Every time I hear a new release by Anathema it feels like they've moved in a slightly different direction. It usually jars at first before finally getting under my skin and ending up being my favourite album for some considerable time. Whether Distant Satellites will or not, I guess I'll have to be patient and wait to find out. Even Weather Systems took time for me to fully appreciate.

As for the Christina (three stars), I fully agree with you that people have been either very quick to praise or brand it boring (how you can say that within 24 hours of an album's release bemuses me). It is however a bit patronising to suggest that the people who loved the previous album were new to Anathema, and I fully disagree that it sounded as though We're here... was a B-sides album.

I'll leave the detailed descriptions of the album to others, personally I believe people should listen and make up their own minds, we all hear albums slightly differently. What I will say is that this does strike me as another grower which requires you to invest time in order to get the most from it. Some of the earlier tracks are of a similar style to Weather Systems (i.e. Ariel with it duet) however the more digital production on the latter tracks leads the listener somewhere new. It might be 'controversial' if you're that way inclined, fortunately most Anathema fans I've met prefer to just enjoy the journey this great consistent band always seem to take their listener on. The band has once again delivered well constructed, crafted music. It doesn't always have to be experimental or 'original' to be enjoyable.

If you do decide to take this journey to discover Distant Satellites, hopefully you'll enjoy it. Me too for that matter.

3.0 out of 5 stars A story of two halves, 12 Jun. 2014
Martyn Hewitt (Faversham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Satellites (Audio CD)
The first six tracks on this album continue where Weather Systems left off. The vocals are very dramatic and each song reaches a crescendo with both Vincent Cavanagh and Lee Douglas complimenting each other superbly. Highlights, in this respect, are 'Lost Song Part 1' and 'Ariel'.There is a greater emphasis on the acoustic piano (always a million times better that a electric one) and orchestral arrangements, both helping to build an album developing into one of intense beauty, with real feeling. Only the track 'Anathema' sees Danny Cavanagh unleashing a guitar solo.Then it all goes horribly wrong with the awful 'Your Not Alone' which destroys all before with its techno/ambient beat that is both self-indulgent and frankly not very good. 'Firelight' rescues the album momentarily with its church-organ inspired intro to the title track 'Distant Satellites'. Now, I have to say at this point this track just about survives the techno treatment but the album-closer 'Take Shelter' is ruined by it and only recovers when the band discover that they have a drummer and the track picks up more conventionally towards the end. Also, Lee Douglas is conspicuous by her absence in the second half of the album. In many respects, there is more of a post OK Computer Radiohead influence working here but I would not like to see Anathema take such a sharp change of direction in pursuit of some needless experimentation that could alienate their growing and appreciative fan base whilst attempting to broaden their appeal. If you like techno/ambient, you probably won't like Anathema so don't buy it. If, like me, you love Anathema buy it, enjoy the first half and see if you can get to grips with the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Flexible, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Distant Satellites (Audio CD)
Perhaps it is because I have been listening to Anathema for the last 2 years, the slight change in musical direction (and come on it is slight) doesn't jar with me as it does with others. A band needs to evolve/experiment otherwise surely there would be no challenge or satisfaction to the band. Also, It can lead to greater results in the long run. Yes, Weather Systems is brilliant, but do we really want to listen to a re-hashed version of it? Let's move on! There are tracks on Distant Satellites that sound similar to WS so fine enjoy those to bring back the stirring emotions you had before. But be flexible with the more "modern" tracks because at their heart they are pure Anathema. For me, there is not a track on here that is sub standard and I welcome being able to listen to something different.

4.0 out of 5 stars Onward & Upward, 1 Sept. 2014
daniel thomas mullins (dewsbury, west yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Satellites (Audio CD)
The band goes from strength to strength, The tracks are more on the experimental, progressive side, yet they still retain their unique signature that this band have forged out for themselves throughout the last 7-1-yrs. Quite a lot of leanings towards their "Judgement" Album. any Anathema fan should not be without this release.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just make up your own minds, 17 Jun. 2014
P. A. Clemons - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Satellites (Audio CD)
I enjoy this release. Some will not. But reading some of these comments do make me smile. No wonder prog 'fans' are looked upon as being very strange people. If it dont sound like Yes or Genesis then it must sound like Coldplay. You do wonder who these 'prog reviwers' write for. Dandy, Beano maybe. Just make up your own minds. If you think it is 'progressive' then fine. Just please dont knock music to much, particularly at this time and this genre. The future looks grim for music. Help it why we still have labels such as KScope trying their best for us to keep it going.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit too much repitition, 15 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Distant Satellites (Audio CD)
I always look forward to any new album from anathema, but having heard Lost Song Part III my expectations were less for this album than previous offerings. My issue with that track is the repeated beat throughout the song. Whilst this is OK when Danny plays acoustically live, it does not really rock my boat on the their recorded material. Unfortunately. my fears for the rest of the album were realalised and whilst there are some highlights on this record and the vocals are possibly the most emotional of any anathema album, the level of repitition, whether it a repeated piano rift, repeated loops, or repeated lyrics just takes the edge off for me and seems a bit lazy. Better than most of the music out there today and they are still my favorite band, hence the four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking progressive-ness., 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Distant Satellites (Audio CD)
I have been an avid follower of Anathema's productions for quite a while now. I have a few of they're albums, and this is just another exemplorary addition to those past achievements. For what it's worth, I highly enjoyed "Weather systems" and this is a perfectly natural successor to that album. From a progression of doom metal on they're earliest efforts to what we have now is obviously a big transition, but I think where they have arrived at now on "Distant Satalites" is likely the most comprehensive progressive album from them yet.

There is mellow - beautiful melodies; superb front and backing vocals, and a subtle production. One of my favourite songs on the album is probably 'Dusk', as the track soars to then dip in the middle, which is lovely. So this music can probably be best described as a subtle and melodic brand of progressive music that has a focus on atmosphere, effect and the colours & shades of light and dark. I certainly found this album most refreshing and telling in character, it also has a deep personality to it that I thoroughly enjoyed; and so for that reason I think it worthy of the maximum five stars to hand.

4.0 out of 5 stars At times brilliant, 24 Aug. 2014
Mark Haynes (Telford UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Distant Satellites [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Hard to believe this lot from Liverpool were once a death/doom metal band. This is a long way from that, perhaps more comparable with Mike Oldfield's albums with Maggie Reilly as vocalist. This album is an excellent example of 'modern' prog where the emphasis is upon creating an atmosphere and moving the listener emotionally. Where this album tends to fall down is in some of the tracks such as the somewhat repetitive Lost Soul 3 and the rather tame stab at modern dance music which is You're Not Alone. Also the track Anathema is good but after repeated listening tends to appear 'bombastic' - the use of strings here maybe isn't ideal. Overall though when this album is good such as on The Lost Song part 2, Ariel or the title track it's great, it's just a pity that the whole album doesn't quite match up. My score: 84%

5.0 out of 5 stars i loved it, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Distant Satellites (Audio CD)
anathema are one of the best groups around at the moment this is another really great album from start to finish it is of the upmost
high quality and it must be bought buy any good music lovers out there

Distant Satellites
Distant Satellites by Anathema (Audio CD - 2014)