5.0 out of 5 stars Ed's back with a refined & experimental sound!
As you know, Ed Sheeran has been making waves these past few years as a singer/songwriter with a difference.
For a few of his fans though this second album marks just another step on the ladder of a journey that has spanned almost 10 years since his first EP release.

Published 29 days ago by Warioman3000

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm ovbiously hearing something else.
Reading these reviews it's as though the world has been listening to something else. I see the words experimental, back with a bang, different bandied about and listen to X and hear absolutely nothing of the short. Ed is a nice guy with that geek charm but his music is at best beige, mor ramblings about his latest heartbreak. There is no real substance, no real passion,...
Published 17 days ago by Julia Havard

5.0 out of 5 stars Ed's back with a refined & experimental sound!, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)

I'm part of the latter group who have been lucky enough to have experienced Ed's music & live shows 'pre & post' his signing to Atlantic records.

In my opinion, this album release marks a significantly more self-aware and experienced Sheeran who appears to have settled into the new life his unprecedented successes, both in the UK & worldwide have created.

A lot of fans have berated Ed for 'selling out' as he appeared to move further from his acoustic roots to create & produce the music we're slowly becoming more accustomed to hearing from him, yet i'd argue this whole album is well crafted with a very varied sound, showing his matured tastes, yet refusing to forget his long heritage of raw acoustic guitar tracks and his beautiful vocal range.

My personal highlight of the album being 'Don't', a powerful and emotionally charged tune to a retro hip hop beat that reminds me of 'One Night' from the 'Loose Change EP'.

If you want to follow the story of this singer/songwriter's journey to the top, this latest album is as good a starting point, as any of his others before.

Here's to album #3!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ed does it again, 25 Jun 2014
J. Lucas (The Best bit, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Well I played + to death and I still have to have it in every mix CD I make for myself or playlist I build as I'm so in love with it. 'X' is going to be the same I just know already. I've waited for what feels like forever for this CD and I'm already playing it on repeat all day long at work! (haha colleagues) I think my favourite track so far is 'Photograph' it reminds me of some of his older songs (pre-+ days) but if I go the same way that I did with '+' the I can guarantee that my favourite will change weekly!!
All in all, Ed, I blooming love you even more after this album release and positively can't wait for the tour later this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, landmark album, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Now and then an artist releases an album that takes your breath away. Ed Sheeran's new X album does just that. This is one of the best albums of this century. Ed's talent truly shines through in this album.

For anybody interested in good, meaningful lyrics with excellent music and skill, this album is for you. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: x (MP3 Download)
Brilliant. Love love love it! Ed Sheeran is a genius. Not just musically great. Amazing words. Just sad that each album takes so long to write and it'll be ages before the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars ... as a spur of the moment purchase but so glad I did, 18 July 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Bought this as a spur of the moment purchase but so glad I did. Haven't listened to his first album but this one is great. Favourites are 'afire love' 'one' 'runaway' and 'Tenerife sea' but honestly can listen to the whole album through without skipping any songs as they are all great! If anything 'sing' is my least favourite now only because it's been overplayed by radio stations. Well worth a buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Well worth the wait to get hold of this new cd. Still listening daily, you can tell how much hard work has gone into making this a top class cd

5.0 out of 5 stars A piece of genius multiplied by 10!, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Excuse the pun above but ya know! Had to it just felt right. I'll take a step back momentarily and just say..
The music coming this year just gets better and better; Sam Smith "In The Lonely Hour" Michael Jackson "Xscape" and now Ed Sheeran "X (Multiply)". This is the best of the best right here.

From the quiet ballad of falsetto and acoustic "One"

To the ever so regretful "I'm A Mess"

Followed on by the number one UK single acoustic dance track of "SING"

Then we get to the best stuff.

"Don't" is a particular highlight of mine. And many others by the looks of things. The hip-hop influenced spoken rapped four minute masterclass about being cheated on.

"Nina" is another hidden gem. R&B and catchy about long distance relationship.

"Thinking Out Loud" is also a personal favourite; a pretty falsetto ballad. Uplifting.

"Bloodstream" is a catchy R&B influenced song about drugs etc.

"Photograph" is another long distance relationship song. Lovely.

And "Afire Love" is heartfelt ballad about his grandfather's alzheimers and resulting death.

Those are my favourites. Not that the others aren't exceptional!

"I See Fire" is ridiculously good. Slow, slow, slow, then an explosive ending.

"The Man", a song reflecting on love, career, and fame. Sung in a rap!

"Take It Back" is a song about his career, reminiscent of "You Need Me I Don't Need You" from "+".

"Shirtsleeves" is a beautiful touch. Nuff said!

"Even My Dad Does Sometimes" is pretty but my least favourite.

"Tenerife Sea" is kinda magical. About true love, Ed Sheeran style!

"Runaway" is about Ed's dad's drinking problem, and is the second song directed by Pharrel. A very touchful yet upbeat tune.

"The Fault In Our Stars" is a real gem of an end to a real gem of an album.

Highly recommend. Best album this year :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars One word. * Amazing *, 25 Jun 2014
melissa (STOKE ON TRENT, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: x (Deluxe Edition) (MP3 Download)
I love Ed's first album and can listen to every song without skipping and this album is just the same. His words are amazing and I know there is story behind each song so you can picture a scene with the song and think of Ed singing it there. It's just a must for any Ed fan or someone just wanting to try something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, 15 July 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Ed Sheeran is always amazing but this album is the best one I've ever owned. Every single song is brilliant and I listen to the album almost every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
This review is from: x (multiply) (Audio CD)
Brilliant ...can't stop listening to it.

x (Deluxe Edition)