on 30 April 2014
A great read. As usual, full of intrigue until the very end, but a gentle mystery rather than a gory killing spree.

I enjoyed the change of location and the addition of characters as well as the war references. Even though I am neither an am dram or history enthusiast, these elements always add interest to Lesley Cook man's books and this one is no different. I am just sad I have come to the end. Hurry up and write another for me Lesley PLEASE!

Perfect for whiling away the hours on your Kindle, best accompanied with a cup of tea in a proper cup and saucer, made in a pot, just as Libby and Fran would like it.
on 18 April 2014
In this book we travel to the Isle of Wight - I enjoy the descriptive geographical references in Lesley's books and this has taken me to yet another part of the UK I would like to visit. The familiar characters are all back but in this book, we get to know Harry more as the plot centres around his background. The reason we look forward to a series with the same characters is because we become familiar with them - they are like old friends we get to visit once or twice a year. And like friends, the more we get to know them, the more we uncover their personalities. That is what Lesley is doing with the Libby Sarjeant books - letting us get to know them better and better. Just like real friends, we may not always agree with them, but we accept them and look forward to a good old catch up whenever we can. Looking forward to my next visit with Libby and Co...
on 20 April 2014
I downloaded this as I just couldn't wait for it to come out in print I was that excited and I certainly was not let down. I love the Libby Sarjeant books and this one was no let down.
It was great to find out more about Libby's friend Harry and to have the friends visit the Isle of Wight to solve a mystery/murder.
All the characters in Lesley's books are so believable which makes the books so realistic even though Libby does have a habit of stumbling upon Murders!
I can't rate this book or the others in the series highly enough. Thank you Lesley for an excellent series and how am I going to contain myself till October when the next one is released?! x
on 27 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, another wonderful cosy murder mystery by an author who has become one of my favourites. This time set in Kent and the Isle of Wight – places I hardly know in real life, but now I just have to visit!
This is the 13th in the Libby series – and I’ve read and enjoyed them all. Lesley Cookman certainly hasn’t disappointed with the latest adventures of Libby and her friends. I just couldn’t put the book down, and as I have done with the other Libby books, read it in 2 or 3 sittings. Although the books can be read out of sequence, I do recommend reading them in order to get the most out of them. The characters have developed since the first book, and so has the writing - I’ve enjoyed the journey immensely – so much so I plan to re-read them all as a treat to myself this summer! I do wish I liked tea as much as Libby does (can’t stand the stuff) but I do like fresh coffee, and love all the talk of food and wine being a bit of a foodie myself!
Libby collects friends with each story, adding them to her group of friends, such is the warmth that flows through each book. Whilst reading I too feel part of that inner circle of Libby’s – she and her friends leap out of the pages of the book and surround me with their warmth. I adore them all – and can’t wait for the next book! Keep on writing please Lesley Cookman!
on 15 April 2014
Having got to know Libby, Fran and the rest of the clan over the last 12 books in the series, reading this latest one really is like meeting up with old friends. This time the story begins on the Isle of Wight before moving back to Kent. Three sisters ask Libby to investigate the death of their fourth sister, but once she arrives prove less than helpful, leading Libby and Fran to think they have something to hide. The investigations lead to revelations about their friend Harry's past and the possibility that he might be in danger. Hard to put down once started.
on 14 April 2014
This book wastes no time in flying back into normal affairs in Steeple Martin and the lives of Libby Sarjeant and her close friendship group. The group are working on their variety show to be put on at the large theatre in Nethergate when the news of Harry's dear old friend Matthew's death comes. Matthew came to the grand opening of their theatre in Steeple Martin and was highly valued by Harry as a father figure in his youth and the man who brought him and his life partner Peter together. The funeral is to take place on the Isle of White and they have been invited to stay by Matthews three cousins.

The story flies off at a brilliant pace with a perfect balance of recapping concepts&characters without insulting the intelligence, memory and fan-dom of the reader! This is a story that provides real insight to the earlier years of Harry's life that have always been considered a topic best left alone in previous books.
Libby's massive affection for both Harry and Peter is the main driving force throughout the book, because every time she tries to take a step away from the mystery, threats to Harry's safety results in not only her continuing to investigate with best friend Fran; but the whole group being more involved than usual!

The story twists and turns as the team explore different time periods in an attempt to fill the gaps in the history of Matthew's family and Harry's birth parents and grandparents. Conspiracy theories from secret war time Isle of White initiatives adds a contrasting flavour/ historical aspect to the book which adds to all the theories of a deep dark secret and massive cover up which may or may not have resulted in murder.

Truly a masterpiece, for the fans of the #LibbySarjeant series, who will enjoy learning about Harry's past as he himself has his parentage slowly revealed.
on 2 May 2014
I've never been to the Isle of Wight. A terrible oversight on my part, it seems, because it sounds beautiful. I love the Libby Serjeant books; Libby herself isn't the infallible all-knowing detective, she's sometimes crabby and often wrong, but there is just something very comforting about her and her group of friends. This book is, as ever, an enthralling read with a nice little mystery at the heart of it. Not the kind of mystery that makes me sit up all night with the lights on and my palms sweating, but the sort that gives a pleasant tingle on realising that the book is sitting waiting to be read. Couldn't put it down, as they say, and finished it with the feeling that I'd been on a jolly holiday with a bunch of sometimes argumentative but always loving friends.
on 12 May 2014
The 13th Libby Sarjeant murder mystery is definitely NOT unlucky! It's brilliant. It's different. I loved it! Libby and the gang are investigating a possible murder on the Isle of Wight (hence the title), but this is only the beginning of the plot twists and turns. It's a delightful page-turner of a story, which kept me doing the "just one more chapter" thing well into the small hours. As well as the is-it-isn't-it murder, there are lots of family secrets to uncover, while a whole shoal of red herrings and several closet-loads of skeletons add to the intrigue. Loved every word and can't praise this series highly enough.
on 7 May 2014
Have been reading Lesley's books since had one given to me,now have read all & cannot wait for next one later in year.I feel part of the family,group or village,as you get to know them all book by book.If never read do start with first story if possible although each book stands alone.Each book we learn more & more of their interaction with each other,also have new people added into stories,besides having a great mystery store line.Do try these as great read.
on 4 May 2014
I really enjoyed this book. It captured the imagination right from the beginning. I would highly recommend it. I can't wait for the next book.