5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection doesn't give it justice
The Fault In Our Stars is one of my favourite books, so while I was anticipating the movie I was also dreading it. What if they messed it up, or even changed the ending like with My Sister's Keeper? What if the cast was as interesting as cardboard? I shouldn't have worried.

Published 11 months ago by Alex

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the book, but glad I watched
I read TFIOS novel on holiday, and then re-read the book a further two times before the movie release because there was just so much depth to the story and the characters.

I watched the movie with a unique feeling, I felt that the book had left such an impression on me, that even if the movie was terrible I would still have the book to go back to!

To...
Published 8 months ago by thelimeinthecoconut

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection doesn't give it justice, 23 Jun. 2014
Alex (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The script is so amazing it's like John Green wrote it himself; it's the best adaptation I could hope for, and strikes the perfect balance between humour and emotion. The cast isn't a set of people acting - Augustus Waters IS Augustus Waters, Hazel Grace IS Hazel Grace. They couldn't have picked better people.

Throughout the movie I was laughing, (almost) crying and always entertained. I can't really call it perfect, because it's so much more than that - it's a film that will always stay with me and I can't wait to watch it again, and if you love the book you'll love this just as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars You gave me forever within numbered days..., 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
Just as with any other obsessive reader, when books are turned into films I'm always worried that the film won't give the book the justice it deserves. But let me tell you, The Fault In Our Stars absolutely, 100% did. I loved the film just as much as I loved the book, if not more.

Even though the story, two teenagers meeting in a cancer support group, sounds rather sad, The Fault In Our Stars isn't just your average cancer story. The entire film is full of cute and funny moments that lighten the mood and definitely make the movie worth watching.

Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort (A.K.A Hazel and Gus) also play the characters brilliantly. My standards are usually extremely high when it comes to casting choices for books that I've read but after watching the film, I can't imagine Hazel and Gus being played by anyone else.

As I mentioned earlier, I get obsessed with books so obviously when the movie came out, I had to see it too. I went to see it as soon as I could on the day it came out and I don't think I'll ever fully recover (in a good way).

You will cry with tears of joy and sadness throughout the entirety of this film but it is so totally worth it.
(Tip for girls: wear waterproof mascara. I certainly wish I had.)

Even if The Fault In Our Stars isn't what you would usually look for in a film or a book, it's beautiful storyline; amazing acting and ability of making you want to watch it on a constant loop, would definitely make me recommend it to absolutely anyone.

(If only the both the film and book were longer.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Slowly, and then all at once, 20 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see this the day it came out and had my tickets booked months in advance and I was not disappointed. The actors were all amazing, and I doubted the casting at first but now I cannot imagine another Gus and Hazel. The film makes you laugh and I cried all the way back from the cinema it was so moving. I got some strange looks though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tissues needed, a real heart render, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
Well, here it is. After reading the book three times, I was excited to find out how they filmed it, and I must say, not only is it one of the most book loyal films I have seen in a long time, but it is a beautiful love story filled with humerous parts, only to juxtapose the other heart renching and sad parts. The characters fill you with joy and are filled themselves with glowing, beautiful emotions and stories. Both Hazel and Augustus (the two main characters) are beautifulling potryed, who along with support from a colourful and exciting cast of backup characters, all who add another dimension to the film, create a deep and intertwining story that has you hooked from the beginning. It holds those little lines such as 'Some infinities are bigger than other infinities' (Hazel), and '... I know that love is only to scream into the void, and oblivion is inevitable, but I am in love with you' (Augustus), which tug at your heart strings, and pull you in to the emotion of the story. So, overall, this is a very well filmed and directed film, with a wonderful story line supported by beautiful and exciting characters. A must see. 'The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in us, that we are underlings'- Julius Caesar- Shakespeare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect with no fault, 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the book and I thought the film was a perfect adaptation. Usually I never like films as much as I do the book versions, but that wasn't the case with this one. I cried and I laughed. It was a beautiful story that translated well into a movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very faithful to the book!, 22 Jun. 2014
Read the book, quite liked that. Seen the movie, loved that! Please give Shailene Woodley an oscar nomination! Ansel Elgort wasn`t half bad either.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A TEAR-JERKER' (AN EMOTION FILLED MOVIE EXPERIENCE), 5 Nov. 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
'Hazel' (Shailene Woodley) has a terminal illness, she is encouraged to attend groups where she
will meet young people with a variety of illnesses, this is where she meets 'Gus' (Ansel Elgort)
The two find they have similar outlooks to life and share an off-beat humour.
Despite his difficulties after a lower leg amputation, 'Gus' has a light-hearted approach to life.
'Hazel' and 'Gus' get on well together from the word go, the depression that constantly hovers over
'Hazel' lifts when they are together.
'Gus's' family offer to take 'Hazel' to 'Amsterdam' where she'd meet her favourite author, it's a trip
of a lifetime that's on offer, an ambition fulfilled.
However the medic's tell her that she is too poorly, a long-haul trip is out of the question.
'Gus' wants to get closer to 'Hazel' however knowing she has so little time it wouldn't make sense,
she suggests they just remain good-, though he fully understands what she's saying he tells her
it's a journey he'd be happy to share.
Despite the difficulties with their daughters health, and the equipment that has to travel with them,
'Hazel's' parents organise a trip to Amsterdam, her parents wanting their daughter to fulfil her dream,
'Gus' travels with 'Hazel' and her mum.
In Amsterdam they get to meet 'Peter Van Houten' (Williem Defoe) the author, he turns out to be both
eccentric and very rude, he's also an alcoholic, the author bursts her bubble some, though his wife
try's to show more pleasant approach than her husband and takes them to a few special places of
interest to the couple.
'Hazel' has to overcome her limitations to take that one step further than her condition really permits,
however they do enjoy the three day mini-holiday.
Romance between them had blossomed during the trip, though they both know there is no long-term
future for them, making the best of the time they have is what counts.
'Gus' has a secret he has to reveal about himself before too long.
The film though perhaps predictable by nature is a heart-wrenching yet somehow beautifully portrayed
drama.
The film is a tear-jerker, you may well need a box of tissues, not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, however
if you do like movies such as this it's really brilliantly portrayed.
Special Features -
* Extended Feature (an extra seven minutes)
* Audio commentary by Josh Boone and John Green ( Theatrical version)
* Audio commentary by Josh Boone and John Green ( Extended version)
* The stars align
* Scribe on Set
* Our Little Infinity
* The music behind our Stars
* Stills Gallery
* Theatrical Trailer

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely adaptation, 10 April 2015
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
I am a firm believer in not seeing a film based on a book until I've read the book and The Fault in Our Stars was no different.

The book itself is fantastic. The film, was really good. At first I didn't feel as if Hazel and Gus had been well cast, however the two actors on screen chemistry soon changes that and I now couldn't imagine anyone else in the roles.

The film is raw and heartfelt and, whether or not it's deliberate, puts you in Hazel's shoes. I shed more than a few tears even though, having read the book, I knew what was coming.

The film does miss out certain chunks of the book, which is to be expected I suppose due to time constraints but it did make me feel as if a little something was missing.

The characters are all played well, with their personalities coming through exactly how you would imagine them to be and I think Laura Dern's character of Hazel's mother is definitely underrated.

I'm glad I saw this film finally however I must say I'm glad I didn't see it at the cinema - I don't feel it warranted a round trip and expensive cinema tickets to see.

It really is a beautiful story and will make you think, "what if that was me?" But it will only ever get 4 stars from me as the book was simply flawless.

If you read the book you'll like the film. If you've not read the book and have nothing to compare it too, you'll love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fault In Our Stars, 21 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
The Fault in Our Stars is a 2014 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Josh Boone, based on the novel of the same name by John Green according to a definition I got online. Well considering the subject matter, this film is more of a romantic drama than a romantic comedy although the film does contain some humour.

Shailene Woodley plays Hazel Grace Lancaster, a sixteen-year-old cancer patient who is forced by her parents to attend a support group, where she subsequently meets and falls in love with Augustus Waters, played by Ansel Elgort. The movie isn't too long at 126 million and is a great film. If you are thinking this films plot is similar to 2002's A Walk To Remember or 2011's Restless then you would be wrong because those films were terrible.

The film of course has the odd twist the biggest being the appearance of Willem Defoe, a pleasant surprise since I had no idea he was in this film. I would comment on how good the acting was except I don't go to see a film for the acting, I go for the story and this film has an excellent story. Its just a bonus the acting is good.

I would describe this films plot more but the brief synopsis given is all you'll need. This is definitely a film worth seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars OBLIVION IS INEVITABLE, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
Two teens with cancer meet and fall in love. A film that by nature will sell crates of Puffs. Our couple meets at a support group which they have both long out grown. They want one last chance to do something like normal teens. The film takes on that "Lifetime" air and seems more realistic than most films in this genre except for that Van Houten thing.

The film is loaded with metaphors and messages. Gus' cigarette being the most powerful. It is "Love Story" for a new generation. The film will be more of a "people's choice" than a critic's choice.

Yes, it is in the realm of a romance or "chick flic" Light comedy.

Parental Guide: 1 F-bomb. Implied sex. No nudity.

The Fault in Our Stars [DVD]
The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] by Josh Boone (DVD - 2014)