5.0 out of 5 stars Slowly, and then all at once
I went to see this the day it came out and had my tickets booked months in advance and I was not disappointed. The actors were all amazing, and I doubted the casting at first but now I cannot imagine another Gus and Hazel. The film makes you laugh and I cried all the way back from the cinema it was so moving. I got some strange looks though.
Published 9 months ago by Peter Joshua

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the book, but glad I watched
I read TFIOS novel on holiday, and then re-read the book a further two times before the movie release because there was just so much depth to the story and the characters.

I watched the movie with a unique feeling, I felt that the book had left such an impression on me, that even if the movie was terrible I would still have the book to go back to!

To...
Published 6 months ago by thelimeinthecoconut

5.0 out of 5 stars Slowly, and then all at once, 20 Jun. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection doesn't give it justice, 23 Jun. 2014
Alex (England, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The Fault In Our Stars is one of my favourite books, so while I was anticipating the movie I was also dreading it. What if they messed it up, or even changed the ending like with My Sister's Keeper? What if the cast was as interesting as cardboard? I shouldn't have worried.

The script is so amazing it's like John Green wrote it himself; it's the best adaptation I could hope for, and strikes the perfect balance between humour and emotion. The cast isn't a set of people acting - Augustus Waters IS Augustus Waters, Hazel Grace IS Hazel Grace. They couldn't have picked better people.

Throughout the movie I was laughing, (almost) crying and always entertained. I can't really call it perfect, because it's so much more than that - it's a film that will always stay with me and I can't wait to watch it again, and if you love the book you'll love this just as much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the book, but glad I watched, 13 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)

To the movie makers credit, the movie stayed true to the book in many aspects, and particularly where it mattered: it was easy to immerse yourself in the story and truly feel for the characters. It was also cast well and had a good soundtrack.

If I hadn't read the book, I would probably give the movie 4 stars. Discounting the book entirely, it is a bittersweet love story exploring the impact having limited time left on this earth has on us. I certainly cried whilst watching and was glad I saw the movie.

However I have read the book, and I guess the best way to describe my disappointment with the movie would be the pace. I understand that movies are 2 hours long maximum, but this is not a story to be rushed. It probably wouldn't have made any sense whatsoever to make this movie a two-parter, but I felt a little cheated that the story was rushed.

To give a specific general example: I glanced at the clock during an integral scene and found myself thinking "theres 30 minutes left...HOW is this going to wrap up in 30 minutes?" I dislike generalisations, but I suppose in general a movie tends to lean more towards entertainment and books have more of an opportunity to evoke complex thought and emotions.

This movie had great characters, a great plot, a few twists, and a good mixture of laughter, hope, and sadness. In short, it was a satisfying watch, but having read the book, I would have been more satisfied if the characters and story was left to marinate a little longer. If this had happened then the key plot points would have been much more gut wrenching and heartbreaking like in the book.

If you haven't read the book and intend to, read the book before watching.
If you haven't read the book and don't intend to, this is a story you need to experience, watch immediately!
If you have read the book, this movie is worth a watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars You gave me forever within numbered days..., 19 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
Just as with any other obsessive reader, when books are turned into films I'm always worried that the film won't give the book the justice it deserves. But let me tell you, The Fault In Our Stars absolutely, 100% did. I loved the film just as much as I loved the book, if not more.

Even though the story, two teenagers meeting in a cancer support group, sounds rather sad, The Fault In Our Stars isn't just your average cancer story. The entire film is full of cute and funny moments that lighten the mood and definitely make the movie worth watching.

Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort (A.K.A Hazel and Gus) also play the characters brilliantly. My standards are usually extremely high when it comes to casting choices for books that I've read but after watching the film, I can't imagine Hazel and Gus being played by anyone else.

As I mentioned earlier, I get obsessed with books so obviously when the movie came out, I had to see it too. I went to see it as soon as I could on the day it came out and I don't think I'll ever fully recover (in a good way).

You will cry with tears of joy and sadness throughout the entirety of this film but it is so totally worth it.
(Tip for girls: wear waterproof mascara. I certainly wish I had.)

Even if The Fault In Our Stars isn't what you would usually look for in a film or a book, it's beautiful storyline; amazing acting and ability of making you want to watch it on a constant loop, would definitely make me recommend it to absolutely anyone.

(If only the both the film and book were longer.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tissues needed, a real heart render, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
Well, here it is. After reading the book three times, I was excited to find out how they filmed it, and I must say, not only is it one of the most book loyal films I have seen in a long time, but it is a beautiful love story filled with humerous parts, only to juxtapose the other heart renching and sad parts. The characters fill you with joy and are filled themselves with glowing, beautiful emotions and stories. Both Hazel and Augustus (the two main characters) are beautifulling potryed, who along with support from a colourful and exciting cast of backup characters, all who add another dimension to the film, create a deep and intertwining story that has you hooked from the beginning. It holds those little lines such as 'Some infinities are bigger than other infinities' (Hazel), and '... I know that love is only to scream into the void, and oblivion is inevitable, but I am in love with you' (Augustus), which tug at your heart strings, and pull you in to the emotion of the story. So, overall, this is a very well filmed and directed film, with a wonderful story line supported by beautiful and exciting characters. A must see. 'The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in us, that we are underlings'- Julius Caesar- Shakespeare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect with no fault, 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] (DVD)
I loved the book and I thought the film was a perfect adaptation. Usually I never like films as much as I do the book versions, but that wasn't the case with this one. I cried and I laughed. It was a beautiful story that translated well into a movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very faithful to the book!, 22 Jun. 2014
Read the book, quite liked that. Seen the movie, loved that! Please give Shailene Woodley an oscar nomination! Ansel Elgort wasn`t half bad either.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A TEAR-JERKER' (AN EMOTION FILLED MOVIE EXPERIENCE), 5 Nov. 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
'Hazel' (Shailene Woodley) has a terminal illness, she is encouraged to attend groups where she
will meet young people with a variety of illnesses, this is where she meets 'Gus' (Ansel Elgort)
The two find they have similar outlooks to life and share an off-beat humour.
Despite his difficulties after a lower leg amputation, 'Gus' has a light-hearted approach to life.
'Hazel' and 'Gus' get on well together from the word go, the depression that constantly hovers over
'Hazel' lifts when they are together.
'Gus's' family offer to take 'Hazel' to 'Amsterdam' where she'd meet her favourite author, it's a trip
of a lifetime that's on offer, an ambition fulfilled.
However the medic's tell her that she is too poorly, a long-haul trip is out of the question.
'Gus' wants to get closer to 'Hazel' however knowing she has so little time it wouldn't make sense,
she suggests they just remain good-, though he fully understands what she's saying he tells her
it's a journey he'd be happy to share.
Despite the difficulties with their daughters health, and the equipment that has to travel with them,
'Hazel's' parents organise a trip to Amsterdam, her parents wanting their daughter to fulfil her dream,
'Gus' travels with 'Hazel' and her mum.
In Amsterdam they get to meet 'Peter Van Houten' (Williem Defoe) the author, he turns out to be both
eccentric and very rude, he's also an alcoholic, the author bursts her bubble some, though his wife
try's to show more pleasant approach than her husband and takes them to a few special places of
interest to the couple.
'Hazel' has to overcome her limitations to take that one step further than her condition really permits,
however they do enjoy the three day mini-holiday.
Romance between them had blossomed during the trip, though they both know there is no long-term
future for them, making the best of the time they have is what counts.
'Gus' has a secret he has to reveal about himself before too long.
The film though perhaps predictable by nature is a heart-wrenching yet somehow beautifully portrayed
drama.
The film is a tear-jerker, you may well need a box of tissues, not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, however
if you do like movies such as this it's really brilliantly portrayed.
Special Features -
* Extended Feature (an extra seven minutes)
* Audio commentary by Josh Boone and John Green ( Theatrical version)
* Audio commentary by Josh Boone and John Green ( Extended version)
* The stars align
* Scribe on Set
* Our Little Infinity
* The music behind our Stars
* Stills Gallery
* Theatrical Trailer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Infinity, 10 Nov. 2014
Quinn (England, UK) - See all my reviews
Based on the hugely successful novel by John Greene The Fault In Our Stars follows the story of two teenagers, Hazel and Gus, who meet at a cancer support group. Initially I was wary of the emotional minefield ahead but The Fault In Our Stars is more than just a cancer story. Yes, the story is heartbreaking but it is also expertly shot and utterly captivating. The Fault In Our Stars is a faithful adaptation of the beloved book with a stellar cast, fantastic soundtrack & loveable characters that linger long after the story ends. The Fault In Our Stars is a story of life, love and friendship that asks tough questions about how you will be remembered. I thoroughly recommend it.

Notes on the 2 Disc Little Infinities Edition (1 x Bluray + 1 x DVD + Digital HD UV):
This edition includes the standard edition of the film and a slightly extended version which adds a few extra scenes between Gus, Hazel and Hazel's Mum without dragging out the film. The enclosed extras include 4 art cards and 4 bookmarks with scenes and quotes from the film.

Features:
Standard Feature (Audio Commentary by Josh Broone & John Greene)
Extended Feature (Audio Commentary by Josh Broone & John Greene)
Deleted Scenes (with optional commentary by Josh Broone & John Greene)
The Stars Align
Scribe on Set
Our Little Infinity
The Music Behind Our Stars
Stills Gallery
Theatrical Trailer

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a fan of love stories being a guy I love my comedies and ..., 12 Jan. 2015
I bought this for my partner for Christmas after seeing an advert for it on YouTube. I'm not a fan of love stories being a guy I love my comedies and action etc. however hands down one of the best films I have ever seen ever. It's very believable.the acting is spot on and the story itself is deep and unforgettable. I was hoping it was not going to be farfetched like the notebook. Thank go it was not. Had me in tears as much as I tried to hold them back. Fellas trust me it's a hit with the ladies. Simply beautiful

The Fault in Our Stars [DVD]
The Fault in Our Stars [DVD] by Josh Boone (DVD - 2014)