5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad they stayed together, 20 April 2014
Cloud 9 (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
I loved their first offering - also called Smoke Fairies (in a brown sleeve) but they lost me with Strange the Things (think I'll give it another go now) and I've only recently come back through the assertive Blood Speaks. I really love what they've done with this album though, lyrics, instrumentation and harmonies all stripped back to the pure essence of Smoke Fairies. The thing with the two separate voices really works and the whole thing is spooky and beautiful. I really hope (but doubt) that this will bring them the financial success they need to continue. And I'm intrigued as to what pop songs they listened to on the bus to inspire this sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Fairies, 14 Sep 2014
J. R. P. Wigman "Hans Wigman" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
Yesterday I visited TakeRoot in Groningen (Netherlands), a festival dedicated to Americana, at which I had the pleasure to hear Smoke Fairies for the first time. To be sure, they were the odd one out at the festival (neither American nor playing obvious Americana), but I liked very much what I saw and heard. The somewhat chilly presentation added to the overall effect of the music and the sound was great (fine drummer & bass player, by the way) although the lyrics were hardly intelligible. At the end of the show I purchased a vinyl copy of 'Smoke Fairies'.
Listening to this album and keeping in mind the concert I was reminded of Cocteau Twins with a dash of Radiohead, Kate Bush, trance/ambient and even Velvet Underground (especially at the live performance), all blended to a sound quite their own. For me the album completely lives up to my expectations, although the live performance had the greater impact on me as it was more powerful - while the album offers more in terms of subtility and balance, obviously. A great new discovery for me and an album to play really loud indeed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little known duo and well worth a listen, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
The more you play it the more you like it. Great voices, innovative production better heard on a quality stereo or ideally headphones. Makes you want to seek out their other albums. Two or three tracks are instantly catchy but some of the rest are real growers too. Shame it didn't come in a standard cd box just a cheaper card cover though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Want it forever, 8 Jun 2014
johann28 (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
I wish I had the Smoke Fairies' gift for words to say how wonderful this album is.

I loved their earlier efforts, and at first hearing, I must admit I was a bit sceptical, but repeated playing has won me over. Again.

I read somewhere that it's written by Davies as an apology to Blamire for her temporary loss of heart, and there's a distinct sense of re-pledged optimism throughout, but I can't help feeling there's more to it than this. Opener ‘We’ve Seen Birds’ feels spontaneous and upbeat, with husky voices swooping over brassy drum beats and strident keys - check out the lovely, cheerfully symbolic video in which the boiler-suited friends build a giant bird together, haul it up the Downs and watch it soar. Album highlight ‘Eclipse Them All’ follows: a really gorgeous thing of undulating darkness, proof of what a distinctively musky mood they can create with just a synth drone and little shivers of guitar. Wow: one of the most seductive things I’ve ever heard. Soothing, swirly, stylishly scuzzy and invariably murky, some tracks seem to drive stoically through bleak beauty (‘Shadow Inversions’) or dissolve into psychedelic Lennon/McCartneyesque melancholy (‘Koto’), or simply be gently hypnotic ('Your Own Silent Movie'), but you'll want to hear them again and again in case you've missed something, and you usually have. Rich, sophisticated, adult lyrics, probably the key track is 'Hope is Religion', which expresses what we have felt but dare not say it because it makes us so vulnerable; there’s something wonderfully affirming about SF's decision to continue on a different yet similar tack – as if they realised the audience they really can’t do without is ... each other.

Thank you. I want you forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and very special, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
The Smoke Fairies are a unique and very special creative force, please do not hesitate to purchase this new offering or any of their back catalogue. They are in a class all of their own, top quality in every area, long may they continue, simply awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Raw, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (MP3 Download)
Excellent! Raw, stripped back songs that show Smoke Fairies in a new light. These are lean, sinewy pieces with their musical ribs showing, and a spare, electric edge that seems a long way from their earlier, more folk-tinged work. Very well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure joy for lovers of real music., 1 May 2014
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
The girls are evolving, this album is more diverse than previous offerings which I love , this has a slightly more heavy feeling mixed with the usual quality. Music is my main love in life, and this band are a main part of that love. Thanks girls,respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars If ears could eat..., 17 April 2014
Stephen Holmes (Willesden Green, London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
...then they'd be taking their time over this exquisite album savouring the many rich textures, delicious vocals, wonderfully seasoned arrangements and diverse compositions beautifully juxtaposed with not a bit of extra fat in sight! On this new Smoke Fairies offering everything is in the right place and you'll finish your listen feeling perfectly satisfied. On the music menu for 2014 this is a standout dish and one that you'll be returning to again and again. Go on...indulge yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars RECOMMENDED, 2 Oct 2014
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
Love this CD. Great vocals. Magical songs that create a mysterious aura.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoke Fairies, 25 Jun 2014
This review is from: Smoke Fairies (Audio CD)
Great album, easy to listen to

If you like alternative with a twist of 80s this is for you! :)

Smoke Fairies