5.0 out of 5 stars What a great little treasure!
This is a special album, since it is NOT Nightwish, yet it is so close to it. It sounds a bit like Imaginaerum yet at the same time so far from it...

You don't have the heavy elements here, it is more lyrical, as it is a soundtrack, but the quality of the music is still unbelievable!

It is strange how can this man, Tuomas Holopainen, turn to gold...
Published 14 months ago by Ath K. Nikolopoulos

3.0 out of 5 stars A lifetime of adventure
Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:03 Mins
Music "inspired by" the life of Scrooge McDuck. It's hard not be inspired by such an amazing story. Nightwish's Tuomas Holopainen knows how to create an enchanting melody, so this album ought to be a success...right? Well, it doesn't fail. But for this most part this album just feels like ANY other Celtic-themed soundtrack.

There are...
Published 14 months ago by Inspector Gadget

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little Masterpiece, 28 July 2014
This is a little masterpiece. An absolute gem that i'm delighted to have in my music collection. I love Nightwish, but this is very different from Tuomas, & all the symphonic rock/metal that i love so much. This album which is produced completely separate from Nightwish has wonderful melodies throughout. The more i listen to it the more i love it. Superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Music, 17 May 2014
M. Avgerinopoulou "M. Avg" (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
I did not know Tuomas Holopainen before buying this CD. I was amazed how he caught up with various aspects of Scrooge's character and wrote some great music about it and about his lifetime achievements. It's better to listen to the music while reading the Life and Times of Scrooge by the one and only Keno Don Rosa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 29 May 2014
I love this album. It is beautiful. It is not the same as Nightwish, a lot softer, but brilliant. I love how the songs are made and how you can feel Scrooges story flowing through. Buy it, listen to it and enjoy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 22 Jun. 2014
Mr. K. Matley "rockpostie" (manchester uk) - See all my reviews
this album may not suit nightwish fans but to me is a musical masterpiece all the songs on this album are very well composed and
delivered in such a way I had to buy the album as soon as I heard it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Great Compositions!!!, 24 April 2014
Firstly I was very interested in hearing this album. As a keyboardist and composer myself Tuomas has been an inspiration in my young days, but more to my older days an interest. I am a Nightwish fan, but also a fan of movie compositions such as Howard Shore, John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Ramin Djawadi etc. So when it came for Tuomas writing a soundtrack I wondered were would he stand on stereotypical Hollywood Soundtrack composers more than his works compared to Nightwish. Reason been is its a different game writing orchestral soundtracks than writing a female fronted metal music!

Not that it bothered me much but I don't know anything about Scrooge Mcduck. I can't say i've ever come across a story about him from Disney and I don't even know were you would find out about him. At first I thought Scrooge Mcduck was Donald Duck but I don't think it is. I would like to have known more about the history before listening to the soundtrack but I went on listening for the music and the adventure. It may bother many people buying this soundtrack that its based on a Disney character but unfortunately theres a lot of music based on all sorts of characters so I don't see why it should be such an issue!

So they are some really good things to say about the music on this soundtrack. The first track that i heard off the upcoming album was A Lifetime Of Adventure. I really liked it. Although it was definitely the overall composition including vocals from Johanna Kurkela that made it a great song. However I presumed that the composition was wrote to fit around the vocals and not be the main center of the piece and it worked! In regards to the overall album they are some pieces based in the same way as The Lifetime Of Adventure like Cold Heart Of The Klondike and The Last Sled but theres more areas where the vocals aren't just the main part to the song. There are some really great parts that do make you feel adventurous and give that feeling of Scotland and the big wide openness and amazingness of it! (Been partly Scottish I get the feeling of looking over Scotland mountains and feeling adventure!)
Glasgow 1877 and Into Te West give this feeling more stronger than other songs. My favorite been Into The West! Duel & Cloudscapes is the only song that feels Disney, but in fairness it has some bashful parts which make it sound interesting and like you are high up on clouds. Its a rather nice song! Goodbye Papa has an amazing piano part a bit repetitive but a lovely feel!

In regards to the vocals in this album. There are some areas where vocals are included. Although its an album not heavy with vocals. There's an instrumental CD with this album and I don't think id ever listen to it because I think were vocals are they need to be there! I can't imagine listening to certain songs without vocals really! Although I'm glad that option is available its till good you can if ya want! There's nothing wrong with the vocalists on this album! The main female vocalist Johanna Kurkela is awesome!! A really clever and amazing choice! Toni Kakko could have been an exception for me. I do love his earlier work but found him later to become less interesting, but he appeared awesome on here! And the other narrators were also great!

My slight criticisms to the overall album is that there are some parts were you feel a bit like the song could have done more instead of repeat the same motif (a motif is like a riff for you guitarists!) One song that i express this annoyance with is track 4 Dreamtime. Maybe that's the idea been a dream but its just rather boring and not entertaining. I may sound like a hypocrite but the same thing happens in Goodbye, Papa with the same piano line. Its a really nice idea in the composition line but I feel he saved the repetitiveness of that song because after repeating the same motif for 2 mins he didn't repeat it and finally added something interesting, and a really nice build up to it too! My other criticism could be where is the minor sad epic songs?? Though I forgive that because I wasn't expecting it but maybe something epically cool and dramatic could have been very cool!

PS may I just saw I aint Jon Burr the Harmonica player! (Though I'm glad to hear of another musician sharing my name! :P)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tuomas Holopainen, 14 May 2014
I'm a Nightwish fan and have been inspured by Tuomas's writings and I wasn't dissapointed. Quite musical but the singing and sometimes extream guitar playing are just up my street

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving this music, though I doubt all nightwish fans will, 20 April 2014
Mr. J. J. Churchill "Scottish-Muppet" (North West England) - See all my reviews
This album is great, I'm not going to lie.
However the album on media player says its metal. Its not. Its operatic folk if you chose to categorise it. So it wont appeal to those metal loving nightwish fans. Dont get me wrong, I love the intense songs like master passion greed etc but some of the lyrics are just creepy. But fear not, no creepy lyrics in this album.

However there are few lyrics in general. Many of the songs are instrumental only, which in itself is not-bad, but to have an instrumental CD as well is just well.... a bit pointless really.

As a Scot who was brought up in the Gàidhealtachd (i had to google the spelling - ashamed!) or Scottish Highlands, the fact that a Finnish artist wrote a song partly in Scottish Gaelic (old celtic language spoken in Scotland)....... well I'm so impressed its unreal! and he went to Rannoch Moor too - though i dunno why - i find the place quite boring (I think It has something to do with the story of Scrooge McDuck). By the way I know nothing of Disney so I couldn't comment how well the songs fit in with the story

Overall, if you like the dreamy aspect of Nightwish and you like instrumental music, you're going to love this album. I do!!!

If you a died in the wool headbanger... then probably not ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blend of rock and classical, 16 May 2014
These CDs take you right into the imagination of the stories. Both dramatic and enchanting music. What a masterpiece 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 19 May 2014
I love music from Finnish bands and this one was amazing Tuomas. Is brilliant composer one of the best one from Finland

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 22 May 2014
i was not expecting this album to be as good as it is. the musicianship is outstanding and holopainen as excelled

The Life And Times Of Scrooge