5.0 out of 5 stars get this or the tamron 16-300?, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR Lens (Electronics)
Like many reviews I have read, if you are going to go for all in one zoom, the Nikon 18-300 and the Tamron 16-300 are the newest contenders. The 16mm option sounded very attractive as I believe 2mm at this end makes a significant difference. The weights are much the same and the price differential around 100/$160. So how to choose? Well the build quality is distinctly better with the Nikon and that is without considering the weather sealing which Tamron calls moisture prevention. The second you zoom the two lenses side by side, the Tamron is stiff and jerky and the Nikon silky smooth. As for IQ, I haven't done formal testing but colour aberrations appear much more obvious with the Tamron. I'm sure both are great lenses and will produce great results for those of us that are not pixelly fixated. I used my Nikon today on a falcon attacking a sparrow at 300mm. The result is spectacular. Its a great lens. I have no doubt that Tamron purchasers will also be happy but I feel I made a good decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical, 1 Jun 2014
I deliberated over a zoom lens for ages weighing up the pros and cons of a zoom over prime lenses and/or smaller zoom lenses. In the end I decided I wanted a do it all walkabout lens for practicality reasons, particularly as I missed a shot last year because I couldn't change lenses quickly enough!! Anyway, I'm very pleased to say this lens is performing fantastically well and gives me all the flexibility I wanted. The shots I've taken are really nice and great quality, I'm sure primes give a better performance but to be honest, comparing this with my 50mm prime, I can't really see a difference (I do realise that in dark situations the 50mm will be a better option). If you're in the market for a quality, practical zoom lens, get this, it's really flexible, the VR works great and it takes fantastic pictures! Build quality is very good, you won't be disappointed.