5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed by Desere Steenberg, South Africa
Published 11 months ago by Desere Steenberg

1.0 out of 5 stars The cover is the best thing about the book
The cover is the best thing about the book. With more thorough research this could have been a much better read. Sorry I bothered to read it and buy it.
Published 6 months ago by Mary Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed by Desere Steenberg, South Africa, 12 April 2014
A few months ago I read a online article about an apartment in Paris that had been abandoned for 70 years. In 1942 the owner had fled Paris fearing Nazi persecution but had continue to make the monthly payments for the apartment. Only after her death in 2010 at the age of 91 her executor sent a team to find out why payments on the apartment had been kept up for 70 years.

When the team arrived and unlocked the apartment door, they found a stunningly preserved Parisian apartment filled with many antiques and artwork, all dating back to as far as 1888. What they also found were love letters written by some of the wealthiest and powerful men in history. I am talking Prime Ministers and famous artists!

As they dug through the various artworks, clothes, jewels and antiques the team were in complete shock as I am sure I would be too, history from so many years ago was perfectly preserved. But why the owner never returned is a mystery that will never be solved.

Except if you are an author with a stunning imagination, brilliant writing skills and a strong believe in happy endings. Then us reading addicts get the chance to step into the abandoned apartment and get taken on a beautiful journey of romance, mystery and history.

Author Ella Carey, incorporated this remarkable real life event into a even more remarkable read. We meet Cat, who suddenly finds herself as the new owner of the abandoned apartment. But upon arrival in Paris the original owner's grandson suddenly makes an appearance and Cat immediately knows he and his mother are the rightful heir's, why they are refusing to claim what clearly belongs to them, is something she intends to rectify, but to do this she needs to solve the mystery and discover why the apartment was left to her in the first place.

The read was absolutely stunning from start to finish. From the moment the author took me inside the apartment I was hopelessly trapped ! The author described the detail of the contents with such vivid clarity that I could actually picture it all, without even once having to refer back to the web images, as I often find myself having to do when reading a book based on a real life event.

And I was so lost in this stunning world that I could smell the dust and the rot when the doors are opened, I could imagine myself dressing up and sitting down in front of the mirror, dabbing on some perfume and adding some jewels. Yes I realize the author had lots to work with as the images are all over the web, but it takes a very talented author to describe it all to me as reader and not make me want to go look up pictures to form the image in my mind, I am a very visual person and only if you describe something to me in vivid detail will I not go on the hunt.

The mystery surrounding Cat and her inheriting something that clearly belongs to someone else was so intriguing that it captured my attention so badly I wished I could climb inside this book and discover for myself what the what, how and who is, lucky for me the author did it for me, she took me on a intense journey as Cat travels through France to discover the truth and along the way I am very pleased to say, she also finds her own little piece of romance.

Everything about this book was simply magical, the vividly described backdrops, the remarkable characters, the mysteries being unraveled, the romance, everything blended to pure perfection by the author.

I highly recommend this read for anyone and everyone that loves reading. It was a history lesson mixed with a large dose of mystery and a dash of romance, what more could a reader ask for!

The Paris Time CapsuleThank you Ella Carey for letting me experience a touch of magic and wonder, and letting my mind drift into the world of the possibilities of just why someone would never return to some of the world's most amazing treasures.

5/5 star review
" The mystery starts with a key, a portrait and some old love letters"

**** The story is the author's own and no possible reason for the owner never returning has ever been found.

********** Copy bought via Amazon.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Gorgeous, 28 April 2014
This review is from: The Paris Time Capsule (Kindle Edition)
4.5 out of five. Wow. Just wow. This was an absolutely gorgeous read and from a debut author no less.

I saw a profile of Ella Carey on Nas Dean's blog, Romance Book Paradise,a couple of weeks ago and after reading the premise for The Paris Time Capsule and loving the cover I decided to give it a go. I remembered reading a newspaper article about the apartment a couple of months back and loved that someone had taken it and used it for inspiration.

Ms. Carey has certainly done the story justice. I won't go into plot because any other review here on Goodreads will take you through that but what I will tell you is that Ella Carey made me feel like I was standing in Paris, in that apartment.

She's got a talent for interweaving setting and characterization that is simply captivating. I was hooked. It's rare I find a book that I don't want to finish because I was enjoying it so much but this is one of them. If this was her debut, I can't wait to read the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Paris Time Capsule, 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Paris Time Capsule (Kindle Edition)
After reading about an apartment in Paris that was abandoned for over 70 years, I found this book fascinating. The story was well researched, and mixing fact and fiction made this a wonderful novel, I couldn't put it down!
The main character was Catherine Jordan (Cat) an American woman who receives a package and discovers a key inside, and discovers she has been left an inheritance , therefore travels to Paris to find out what it is all about. It was such a fascinating story, and the descriptions of France found me turning the pages wanting to find out what was going to happen next.
I loved it , I can't wait for Ella's new novel.. Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars A divine read., 8 May 2014
I can only agree with the previous readers about this book. From the first page, it had me gripped. When the apartment was opened, I also smelt the decay, witnessed the years of dust, shuddered at the cobwebs and easily believed that I was there, staring in amazement and delight at the sight before me. Very fine writing with such a delicate love story, thankfully without the usual bad language and graphic details that we are subjected to these days. A superb book, which will be read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem of a story., 16 July 2014
G. M. Whiting (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paris Time Capsule (Kindle Edition)
A lovely atmospheric story, a quick and easy read but with sufficient plot and character development to keep one interested and turning the pages. As it's fiction it's a change from the usual "how I moved to France and met the locals" tome, but has the same sense of love of the country and the people. I never did find out who had been paying the bills on the apartment for the 70 odd years it had been closed so a re-read is called for and is something to look forward to.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Paris Time Capsule, 2 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Paris Time Capsule (Kindle Edition)
I saw the abandoned apartment on a blog and was fascinated. It had me wondering about it's past occupier and the the reasons why it had been neglected and abandoned for so long. When I saw that Ella Carey had written a novel based on this, I just had to read it and it didn't disappoint.
This a love story (not my usual genre) which is well told and not overly sentimental.I loved the investigations which led to solving the mystery.
Although fictional ,this is a very plausible version of what may have happened. I thoroughly enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 8 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Paris Time Capsule (Kindle Edition)
Interesting mystery with an unexpected conclusion and a good modern romance wrapped around it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A package, a key and a mystery could change your life., 18 April 2014
This review is from: The Paris Time Capsule (Kindle Edition)
How could Catherine Jordan have ever believed that a plainly wrapped package with a pretty bow from Paris would turn her world upside down and inside out? It wasn't just a simply wrapped present from someone in that city, but an immersion into a mysterious world of suspense, intrigue and complications that now filled her former calm and stable life.

Plodding along in her calm and serene life, Catherine “Cat” Jordan is content as a photographer for a studio and pleased in her stable relationship with her boyfriend,Christian Carter. When the package arrives and she needs to go to Paris to straighten it out, she never realizes all the changes that would take place. The key she received in the package belongs to an apartment caught in a time warp, filled with priceless possessions, and a decades old mystery. With the arrival of Loic Archer, the grandson of the previous owner, on the scene, the mystery deepens. She wants to do the right thing and give it to him and his family, but they refuse without knowing why Isabelle de Florian, their grandmother, wanted it this way. So a deal is struck between them. She will investigate the mystery and if she can prove it is theirs, they will take it. But she can't forget Christian, who wants to hurry their engagement along swiftly. No one seems to care what she wants. Only she has the same question, what does she want?

With every answer came another question. Why did Isabelle leave a Parisian apartment filled with antiques, love letters and an original Boldini painting to her? Why was everything not left to her own family instead? Was she so accommodating now with Christian that she would allow others to plan her engagement party and wedding regardless of her desires? How could she continue to ignore the feelings that she felt for Loic? And what about the questions she asked herself? Was she trying to mold herself into Christian's world? Had she forgotten her dream of owning a photography studio? All valid questions that needed answers that only she could find. Maybe with the answers she could satisfy herself, Christian, Loic and Slyvie, Isabelle's daughter.

A fabulous book. The intricate weaving of a superbly written plot with well developed characters around a true historical event. With the descriptions of scenery, residencies, and other intimate details, such as, the dust storm upon first opening the apartment after so many years, the rows of grape vines trailing across the hillside and perusing old texts in an ancient nunnery, I felt as if I was there trying to help solve the mystery. The intertwining of several stories about love, life and the pursuit of happiness provided an excellent backdrop to the main plot. Ella Carey weaved an incredible, marvelous story. This was the first book I have read of hers, but it will not be the last.

Highly recommend to all romance readers who enjoy a story filled with history, mystery, love and romance.

I was given a copy by the author for an honest review.

5/5 stars A package, a key and a mystery could change your entire life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling story!, 14 April 2014
This review is from: The Paris Time Capsule (Kindle Edition)
THE PARIS TIME CAPSULE is April 2014 release by author Ella Carey.

Catherine Jordan receives a package from a lawyer in Paris. It states that she had inherited something and enclosed she finds a key. She is intrigued by the idea of an inheritance but knows it could be something really small. She knows that her grand-mother used to live in Paris in her wild youth.

So she has to go to Paris to find out the truth as the lawyer refused to divulge the truth of her inheritance to her over the phone. What she finds in Paris astounds her because she has inherited the beautiful and mysterious Isabelle de Florian’s legacy, her apartment full of old, unique and antique treasures. Among them a very valuable painting of Isabelle’s grandmother Marthe de Florian, a courtesan of the high class. And the apartment is full of love letters from the very powerful and wealthy men.

She is not sure that she is the rightful heir when another heir turns up. She is all for giving it all up to Loic Archer and his mother, the true heirs. But they refuse to take her inheritance. They just wanted to find out why Isabelle kept this a secret. She had so much wealth yet she lived a very poor life. Loic’s mother cannot reconcile to the fact that she was brought up in poverty while her mother had all this wealth stashed away. And the main reason…why Cat Jordan as the heir? So Cat has to find out the truth for them as well as for herself. Then she embarks on a fascinating journey of discovery. Unearthing the truth also brings her self-discovery and what she wants in her life.

THE PARIS TIME CAPSULE is an intriguing story. A reader would get hooked from the first page and would keep turning the pages till late at night, trying to unravel the mystery this story is. It is a mysterious, thrilling and suspenseful story. Yet the author Ella Carey also did justice to the romance thread running throughout the story. The interaction between Cat, Loic and his mother is warm and tender. It is a pleasure to read this spin on a true story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Story, 12 April 2014
This review is from: The Paris Time Capsule (Kindle Edition)
I was intrigued by the concept of this story. If the reason why the old lady never returned even if she lived in poverty is not known, how this author would spin the story and get to it? I was surprised and thrilled by the ending. It is the most fascinating story I read in a while!

The Paris Time Capsule