4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking speaker but pricey, 3 May 2014
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
The Donut is a Bluetooth speaker that enables you to play music or any audio wirelessly from your Bluetooth enabled devices such as mobile phones, PC and tablets.

The speaker comes very nicely packaged and in the box you will find -

- The Donut Speaker (5 inches diameter) 153g
- Micro USB to USB charging cable (18 inches)
- NFC tag
- Instruction booklet

There is no 3.5mm aux cable.

The Donut speaker has a good build quality with 2 x 2 watts of music power. The main body is a tough plastic with a orange section of rubberised coating giving the unit a very solid feel in the hand. It has a rubber base and sits very well on any surface.

On the side you have a Micro USB port for charging and a 3.5mm jack plug socket.

On the top of the speaker you have the three rubber function buttons -

- Power on/off acts as telephone answer also.
- Vol -
- Vol +

This is a quirky looking speaker that looks like a huge Donut!

At switch on you will see the Blue LED flash to confirm its in Bluetooth Pairing Mode. It does not beep or speak to indicate this. To pair up with a Bluetooth enabled device you just scan for devices and it will come up as 'CODEblu 08'. Upon connection you can now play your device audio through the speaker. Very user friendly and easy to connect. You can also use the NFC tag to connect if your device supports this.

You can also play music/audio from any device with a standard 3.5mm headphone socket. Using this will save battery power on your phone. But you will need your own 3.5mm cable.

In use. . .

It fully charges in around 3 hours (1000mAh battery) and gives around 8 hours of play time.

I've played quite a bit of music/audio from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Ipad 4 and Samsung notebook through it. All connected easily in a second. Blues, 80's Electro, Rock, Metal, Classical all sounded good. Using your equalizer presets or custom EQ settings on your devices you can achieve closer to the sound you may be looking for.

With some distortion at full volume this speaker can easily fill a room in your house. It does go very loud for its size. This would be great for the outdoors, garden or beach as it's a tough little speaker which can take a few knocks.. Full volume at 4 watts is loud. It sounds more like 6! An adequate quality, powerful sound is produced here which for me leans towards the bass end and sounds enhanced.

You can also take handsfree calls through this speaker which works well. The music from your phone will resume as the call ends.

This is a quirkily designed speaker with some power for its size, but a bit pricey for what it is in my opinion.

This speaker was kindly sent to me by the distributor for review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Novel design, adequate sound, 1 May 2014
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 3:29 Mins

The manufacturers sent me this speaker for review, and I think it's pretty good. As a speaker unit it performs quite well for its size and it's certainly more than just the child's toy which its novelty design might suggest.

The speaker is packaged in a bright, mock-doughnut box and comes with a micro-USB cable for charging and a good user manual (in excellent English, praise be!) It has both Bluetooth and jack connectivity but there is no jack-to-jack lead included so if you want this function (I do) you have to supply your own lead. In use it works very well: Bluetooth pairing is very simple, the connection is stable up to about 8 or 9 metres. It also has NFC connectivity so if you have that function (I don't) it's a handy feature. The controls are for calls and volume only - you can't skip forward or back using the speaker - and work fine, as does the built-in microphone for calls.

The sound is pretty decent for a small unit. I have listened to a lot of music through it, from Tudor choral music to London Grammar and it all sounds OK. As you might expect, the bass is rather weak, but the top is very sharp and the middles distinct, and it goes plenty loud enough for my comfort with no distortion or audible hiss. It's not bad at all, although I think I would expect rather more bass and richer overall sound at this price.

Obviously, the distinctive thing about this speaker in a crowded market is its design. This will appeal strongly to some people and put others off, I suspect. If you do like it this will do you nicely as a little portable Bluetooth speaker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a jelly doughnut!, 1 Sep 2014
PT Cruiser (West Coast) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
What could be more appealing than a sugary donut? Well, this donut shaped portable wireless Bluetooth speaker delivers great sound as well as a cool look. I was surprised at how good the sound was, given its size. It comes with the micro USB cable, an NFC tag for easy pairing and a manual. It connected to all of my Bluetooth devices very quickly and without any problem. I didn't know what to expect as far as sound quality but I was pleasantly surprised. This little doughnut speaker puts out a surprisingly sound with decent bass for a speaker the size. Is above average. I tested it with classical, easy listening, hard rock, and rap music. It did a good job on all of those.

The NFC pairing is kind of cool if you have an enabled device. Some device examples would be the Amazon Fire phone, several of the Samsung, LG, and a bunch of. other devices. You can do an Internet search for "NFC devices to see a full list. To do NFC pairing just turn on the Donut, turn on the NFC function of your Bluetooth device, place the code NFC tag right next to your NFC enabled device, and your device will automatically initiate the Bluetooth connection with the Donut. Simple and easy to do

I like the design and shape of this speaker because it's different and it always gets comments when I take it somewhere. It's small enough to throw in my purse or briefcase and handed to take along.

I was provided with a sample for review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great speaker, Bass not great but clean sound until about 25 feet., 19 May 2014
Easy to charge via USB, easy to pair with phone/tablet once you know how, long battery life (8 hours), also doubles as a bluetooth hands free kit. Can be paired with PS3 for use during online gaming.

This device will be essential for listening to music when we go on holiday this summer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and good sound!, 4 July 2014
This review is from: CODE Donut Portable Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker with NFC, 8 hours play time, Built-in Speakerphone (Orange) (Electronics)
I received this Donut Portable Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker with NFC and Built-in Speakerphone from the vendors and the timing couldn't be better, as I had just moved to my new flat and although I had my Ipod with me I had no loud-speakers! Usually I am not very technically gifted but everything went well. They sent me a BA01 transmitter to decode the Bluetooth signals into non Bluetooth ones and I started on my journey to make everything work.

The instructions are quite clear, be it the ones belong to the Donut or to the transmitter. I did have a little glitch but I contacted the vendors and I got a prompt reply. They do give a really good service! So the first thing to do, after reading the instructions, was to charge both devices, which actually went quicker than I was expecting. Then you do the paring, either of the Donut with the transmitter or if you don't need one because you will be using it with a Bluetooth device. with your device, for example a mobile phone. The paring takes only a few minutes and when all the lights were stabilized I connected the transmitter to my Ipod, set the Ipod to work and my living room filled up with sound! Now I can do my exercises using my favourite music again! The sound is very acceptable and the best thing about the Donut is that you can put it in your handbag, beach bag or anywhere else and take it with you (even in your pocket if it is big enough!). I had loudspeakers for my Ipod before but they were quite a bit bigger. The design is awesome.... Mine is orange and looks just like a real Donut (only bigger) but you can get it in other colours (I find the orange rather fun as it really reminds you of a Donut, maybe the donut you ate for breakfast?).

All the cables come with both devices and the instructions booklets are quite clear. You can also do NFC paring using the little tag that comes with the Donut or play Audio via Auxiliary (AUX) but... I wouldn't know what that means, sorry! One interesting piece of information is that you can use it in the car with your mobile phone (Bluetooth, of course or else I suppose with the transmitter) to make and answer phone calls without having to pick up your phone (all the instructions are in the booklet). I haven't tried it out with my mobile phone to listen to music yet as I haven't downloaded any music but I will do so soon. At the end of the instruction booklet you have all the tips for care and maintenance and also FAQ and trouble shooting in case you have any problem. One year warranty!

All in all I am very happy I got to try this device. I had never heard about it but now I am sure that it will be a great topic of conversation with everybody who visits my new flat! I just hope they don't try to take a bite......

PS - The Donut can be up to 10m away from your device and they have to be at least 1m apart!

UPDATE: Actually the sound of the Donut is better than I thought. I understood that when I put it on a softer surface. I will still give it 4 stars due to the fact that one never knows when the charge is almost finished, neither the Donut nor the transmitter (if you are using one) show how much charge you have left over. The other day I had a dinner party and as soon as the guests arrived I had no music to cheer them up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and good sound!, 28 Jun 2014
I received this Donut Portable Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Speaker with NFC and Built-in Speakerphone from the vendors and the timing couldn’t be better, as I had just moved to my new flat and although I had my Ipod with me I had no loud-speakers! Usually I am not very technically gifted but everything went well. They sent me a BA01 transmitter to decode the Bluetooth signals into non Bluetooth ones and I started on my journey to make everything work.

The instructions are quite clear, be it the ones belong to the Donut or to the transmitter. I did have a little glitch but I contacted the vendors and I got a prompt reply. They do give a really good service! So the first thing to do, after reading the instructions, was to charge both devices, which actually went quicker than I was expecting. Then you do the paring, either of the Donut with the transmitter or if you don’t need one because you will be using it with a Bluetooth device. with your device, for example a mobile phone. The paring takes only a few minutes and when all the lights were stabilized I connected the transmitter to my Ipod, set the Ipod to work and my living room filled up with sound! Now I can do my exercises using my favourite music again! The sound is very acceptable and the best thing about the Donut is that you can put it in your handbag, beach bag or anywhere else and take it with you (even in your pocket if it is big enough!). I had loudspeakers for my Ipod before but they were quite a bit bigger. The design is awesome…. Mine is orange and looks just like a real Donut (only bigger) but you can get it in other colours (I find the orange rather fun as it really reminds you of a Donut, maybe the donut you ate for breakfast?).

All the cables come with both devices and the instructions booklets are quite clear. You can also do NFC paring using the little tag that comes with the Donut or play Audio via Auxiliary (AUX) but… I wouldn’t know what that means, sorry! One interesting piece of information is that you can use it in the car with your mobile phone (Bluetooth, of course or else I suppose with the transmitter) to make and answer phone calls without having to pick up your phone (all the instructions are in the booklet). I haven’t tried it out with my mobile phone to listen to music yet as I haven’t downloaded any music but I will do so soon. At the end of the instruction booklet you have all the tips for care and maintenance and also FAQ and trouble shooting in case you have any problem. One year warranty!

All in all I am very happy I got to try this device. I had never heard about it but now I am sure that it will be a great topic of conversation with everybody who visits my new flat! I just hope they don’t try to take a bite……

PS – The Donut can be up to 10m away from your device and they have to be at least 1m apart!

5.0 out of 5 stars Premium quality Bluetooth Speaker!!, 22 Aug 2014
Get one of this to play before night-out party. The sound quality is superior. I love the fact that it's paired with my devices easily and the look is simply stylish. Deserved to own one with this great price and its quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have!, 1 Aug 2014
A very well made Speaker! Has a sleek design , produces high sound quality and is a must have for your audio needs! You can get this in many colours and is a very simple process to setup. A real must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Speaker, 22 Aug 2014
This is a fantastic speaker. Its pretty unique with a Donuts look and pairs up in just a few seconds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 19 Sep 2014
Really good quality speakers. Fast delivery. More than happy with my purchase