5.0 out of 5 stars Boy's Don't Cry
I was fascinated by this book from the moment I heard about it. I've read many books and articles on young single mums, but never from a teen dad's. Boys Don't Cry is a stunning novel with thought provoking topics subtly raised on every page and will speak volumes to the teens it's targeted towards.

What I loved about Boys Don't cry is how it shows Teen...
Published on 6 Nov 2010 by Vicki @ Cosy Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but one too many cliches
I'm a big fan of Malorie Blackman - especially her Noughts & Crosses series. I was very much looking forward to reading her new book, 'Boys Don't Cry'. It's definitely an interesting topic, one which Blackman deals with well and sensitively. The only problem I have, is that I found the plot predicatable and one dimensional. I predicted the 'twists' long before they...
Published on 10 Jan 2011 by Andrew Payne

5.0 out of 5 stars Boy's Don't Cry, 6 Nov 2010
Vicki @ Cosy Books - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Hardcover)

What I loved about Boys Don't cry is how it shows Teen parenting from a different angle. While reading this book I felt very sorry for Dante, and questioned myself regularly whether I felt more sympathy because he was a boy, rather than a girl. Teen mum's are vilified daily, yet most probably found themselves in a situation from one reckless mistake just like Dante did. Even in this book I thought it might have been easy to write Melanie off as the bad one, for getting pregnant in the first place then dumping the baby with Dante, but Malorie Blackman's writing allows the reader to constantly question and ponder such subjects without forcing opinions on her audience.

The book is packed with challenges to stereotypes throughout. As a single teen father, Dante finds support from outside agencies difficult to come by. Making a doctors appointment for example is a nightmare. He's not on Emma's birth certificate as he didn't even know of her existence then and so can't register her without her Mother. Of course he doesn't know where her Mother is, and the obstacles and bureaucracy he comes up against is shocking. A visit from a social worker concerned that a baby in the care of three males may be in danger is also frustratingly accurate and Dante rightly questions her attitude and whether it would be the same were he female.

What surprised me about Boys Don't Cry was that it turned out not just to be Dante's story of teen fatherhood but his brother's story is equally as important. Told in alternating chapters from Dante and Adam, we meet a young boy, comfortable with his own sexuality but struggling with a world that isn't. I adored Adam, whose wit, quirkiness and quiet strength proves to be the backbone of the family. There's an equally strong message of acceptance in this book, which again won't fail to provoke thought and reflection on the reader. And their father also has a huge part to play. Somewhat overbearing on first appearances, I think the relationship between both boys and their father will resonate with many and may go someway in helping us see our own parents in a different light.

Boys Don't Cry is an amazing book from start to finish. Not only does it show males of different situations in a positive light, it really makes you think about the pressure put upon boys to hide their emotions and how damaging that can be. It challenges stereotypes on every page through its three strong male characters. And it reminds you that no matter who you are or how unconventional your family, respect, acceptance and love makes all the difference. If I were to recommend one must read book of contemporary fiction to teenagers, and their parents, then this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning read, 12 Aug 2011
B. Jenkinson "beffmetalx" (Rotherham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Paperback)
Just finished the book in 3 hours of solid reading, I got far too into it to stop! Had to come straight on here to recommend the book to all! This is one of those books that will stick with you forever.

Without wanting to give too much away, Dante has a baby dumped on him, his daughter he didn't know existed. I thought the book was going to solely revolve around that, which I wouldn't have minded, but it turned out to be so so much more. I won't spoil it for you but I must demand you read this book!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Boys Don't Cry, 28 Oct 2010
Jess Hearts Books (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Hardcover)
Its A-Level results day for Dante, a bright future at university and then a career as a journalist await him but then his ex-girlfriend Mel turns up on his doorstep holding a baby and his whole world turns upside down. Mel claims that baby Emma is his and asks Dante to mind her while she nips to the shops to get her a few things. Dante's left reluctantly keeping an eye on Emma so Mel can get what she needs and come back and tell him what the hell's going on, but when hours pass and Mel still hasn't shown up Dante's future suddenly looks less sparkling and more nappy filled...

When I first heard about Boys Don't Cry many months ago now I knew I just had to read it. Teen parenting is a topic that I've read a fair few books on but never have I even heard of a book told from the father's point of view never mind a mother who has abandoned her child leaving the dad holding the baby. I feel like teen dads get a lot of slack from society for "getting the girl pregnant" not wearing protection and for them then running away and not taking responsibility for their child but that's not always the case. I also feel like there's a stereotype for teen fathers as being dossers living off benefits not working or supporting their kids without any real thought for how hard that would be for a young man with no qualifications. Not because he doesn't work hard, but because he's unable to get a job or study because he has a child to look after, to try and do right by, and sometimes as with Dante's case a lot of young fathers have to bring up a child alone.

The idea for this book is genius and gives readers a chance to experience what it's like being a teen dad in today's society- a society that's quick to judge. Running alongside the main story is the subject of homosexuality and homophobia. In Dante's younger brother Adam's alternate chapters he experiences severe homophobic bullying. Both brothers stories join together to create a book about what it truly takes to be a real man hence the title Boys Don't Cry.

I loved both Dante and Adam as characters and related to them a lot despite being a 20 year old girl. I think this is book both sexes can enjoy and for that reason predict it to be insanely popular. Both boys may be in their teens but they handle their situations with maturity earning them both my utter most respect and making them hugely likable.

This was my first book by Malorie Blackman and I'm definitely interested in reading some more of her work. This is the kind of book I would recommend to everybody. Teens, adults, male, female readers will all enjoy this book it really gets you thinking about fatherhood, homophobia, teen parenting and how society behaves towards them. But ultimately? This is a book about family, male relationships, and what it really takes to truly be a man. 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely incredible!, 25 Jun 2011
Dwayne @ Girls Without a Bookshelf (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Paperback)
There is no one word that can describe just how good of a read Boys Don't Cry is. This book is one of the few that should be read by every teenage boy in the world - it's packed with life's lessons and I'm sure I'm not the only one who says that this book is a thought-provoking and a reflective read.

When Dante Bridgeman finds the biggest surprise in his life lying in a baby buggy, to say that his life is turned upside down is an understatement. Suddenly, he is no longer a typical student waiting for his A level results and university, but a single father to an eleven-month baby, Emma. With his ex-girlfriend and the baby's mother Melanie suddenly MIA, he finds his future veering dangerously towards the unknown. The changes in Dante's life - every minute details - is well described and highlighted. I'm familiar with the difficulty of babysitting, but not quite with the difficulty of single parenting. Dante's narration is vivid and so real it's almost like a first hand account. Nothing quite gets to you than the voice of someone who has really been there - I got that from Dante. His sacrifices opens the reader's eyes to the reality of being a parent - single, teenage or otherwise. His concerns starts from the basic (what about university? How do I stop her from crying?) and evolves to the bigger (will I be a good father? How will I provide for Emma?) questions. I am a lot like Dante in situation (A level results, university...) but it is his questions that makes him so normal, so average. That, more than anything, makes Dante real. His actions, his thoughts and his words show his flaws, but it also channels his growth as a person, as a brother, as a son and as a father to Emma.

Interspersed with Dante's life changing moments are his brother Adam's. My heart went out to Adam in this book - he's a cheerful lad who is neither ashamed nor afraid of his sexuality. The challenges that face him are not the easiest ones to face nor read. Despite that, he has an indomitable spirit that rises up and faces these challenges head on. Of course, Adam has his share of challenges, but with his family's support never once leaving his side, Adam's strength is clear for all to see. I'm not sure who between him and Emma I find more adorable - but both of them are near top of the list of characters I love hugely.

There are varying sub plots in the book in support of the main plot. These elaborates more on the characters and are very well ingrained with the narrative. Mostly, they are resolved and I am one happy reader with how everything turned out. The secondary characters are involved in these subplots and are also very important as they are foils to and frame the protagonists. Quite simply, I have no complaints! It's my first Malorie Blackman read and I sure will check out more of her works.

Boys Don't Cry is an eye-opener, a complex novel that is one of the few which effectively thrusts the reader into issues that matter most in the big world. It made me cry, it made me think and it made me want to read so much more. I love this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Hardcover)
I was recommended this book because I am a midwifery student doing one of my essays of teenage fathers and im glad I bought it. It was really interesting to read and had a really accurate outlook on the reality of the situation for that young boy. Make you think differently about young fathers and sympathise with then slightly.

Would defiantly recommend this book if this is something you are interested in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional book of choices, 30 Oct 2010
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Hardcover)
A book that is pretty frightening, if only because of the real world implications within which when woven within this title offer a warning about unplanned pregnancies with life changing outcomes where the cast has to learn to adapt to the changes as well as accepting the consequences of their choices.

Beautifully written and whilst when I originally read the concept thought that it would be a real struggle, found myself getting emotionally involved with the cast as well as having the opportunity to see the adaptable nature of life with positive outcomes. Blackman definitely brings the issues raised within to life and with realistic characters alongside the emotional context does it with a style that the young adult reader can also pick up without feeling either looked down upon or overwhelmed. Definitely a title all teens should read and a title that may help some choices with a bit more information at hand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it even more than the Noughts and Crosses books, 28 July 2011
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Hardcover)
I read the Noughts and Crosses books a while ago and I really like them but now I have to say I think this book is even better. Well done, amazing book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 Nov 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Hardcover)
This is the new novel from Malorie Blackman, author of the Noughts and Crosses series. N & C is my favourite YA series ever. It's beautiful, heartbreaking, and the most powerful book/series I've read. If you've not read them, I seriously recommend you do. With as much as I loved N & C, I was very excited to read this new book from Malorie. Totally different, but it promised to be another powerful book. It delivered. Boy's Don't Cry is the story of a 17 year old boy, Dante, waiting for his A-level results to come in the post. He's planning on University and a career in journalism after that. But instead of the post, he's confronted with his ex. Who has a baby with her, his baby as it turns out. She asks him to watch her for a few minutes while she pops to the shops around the corner for some basics. Except, she doesn't come back, and Dante is left with this baby who is almost a year old to take care of.

It took all of a couple pages to hook me. Dante's voice, his panic, disbelief and the rest of the vast mixture of emotions, come across sharply as he's faced with this huge life changing fact. He is a dad. Dante lives at home with his dad and younger brother, Adam. His mum died several years before so it's just been the three of them for a long time, struggling to get by. The different relationships between Dante, Adam and their dad are complex and vividly realistic. Just as Dante's struggle to accept his daughter, and his relationship with her, is. The whole family dynamic is changed by the baby and although we don't get to see much of them before the baby as she's introduced in chapter one, it's still obvious that's the case.

Although the focus of the book is on Dante and what being a teen dad is like, the choices and decisions he faces, there is a serious subplot revolving around Adam as well. I won't go in to detail because I don't want to spoil anything, but lets just say that while he may get much less page time (there are some short chapters from his POV as well as Dante's), his story is just as powerful. More so at times actually I felt.

The whole book is just fantastic, extremely hard to put down. It's honest, stark, brutal, beautiful and yes, very powerful as well. I think it should be a must read for teens and adults of both genders. I don't know how many times I cried reading this book but it was several. Sad tears from me while reading is fairly common, happy tears are not. This book had both from me. I went from happy tears straight to sad ones at one point as well. Amazing, heartfelt book. As expected, one of my favourites of the year as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boys Don't Cry, 6 Sep 2014
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Paperback)
Boys Don’t Cry isn’t just a book about a teenage boy who discovers that his ex-girlfriend had his baby and didn’t tell him until she turns up unannounced on his doorstep. It’s also a book about family relationships, and has one of the most interesting dynamics I’ve read in YA fiction for a long time.

Dante is the quintessential good boy – he works hard at school, does what is expected of him, has a small group of close friends and a girlfriend. He’s got big dreams and ambitions. Until his former girlfriend turns up and leaves him with his new daughter. What makes the family dynamic so different is not just that Dante is the child of a single parent – he’s the child of a single father and his younger brother is openly gay – not that his father and Dante are particularly accepting of it.

Boys Don’t Cry is a coming-of-age story, and it was great to see Dante moving through a whole bunch of different stages when coming to terms with the huge and unexpected changes that baby Emma brings to his life. Perhaps the only thing that didn’t feel completely realistic is that once Dante comes to terms with the idea that he’s a single teenage father, he doesn’t push things any further. Rather, he kind of just accepts his future, without any real plans on how he could break out from a stereotype, and given his potential I found that a little difficult to understand. However, having said that, he is determined to do the right thing, and the best job that he can. It just left me feeling a little conflicted.

What I liked most about Boys Don’t Cry were the extra elements that I wasn’t really expecting – Dante’s relationship with his brother and father were particularly close and I loved that connection.

The ending felt right – Dante really grows as a character, gets deeper into relationship with brother and father and comes to terms with the fact that his life is forever changed – even seeing the positives in a situation that could have been very negative and really invests time and energy in his daughter – recognising the importance of family. Definitely recommended for anyone looking for a more unique YA realistic fiction book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Boys Don't Cry (Kindle Edition)
Boys don't cry is one of the best books I have ever read. For once I read a book about single parenting, where the lead character was male. I also think the book dealt so well with issues surrounding homophobia.

As well as these reasons, my favourite thing about boys don't cry, are the amazing descriptions of Emma.

I recommend this to everyone, no matter what age or gender.