4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable easy read but not very believable
Published 5 months ago by Neil Carroll

Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Having to walk across a post-apocalyptic continent is always going to make an interesting story, such a shame about the style., 28 Jan. 2015
This review is from: 77 Days in September (The Kyle Tait Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The author picked a great adventure to describe. The story line is genuinely thought provoking and is why I completed the book. It is such a shame about the clichéd characters, the awkward writing style and the author's adolescent view of the world that sometimes seeps out on to the page. The short piece suggesting that because humans care for each we are proof that God exists is particularly nauseating and naive, but forgiveable! For me the most irritating feature was the use of very artificial conversations between characters to describe to the reader what is going on, for example;
"We're not burning any clothes. We make everything last. We'll set you up with a real bath tomorrow. There's a crew that brings water up from the river every morning. It's not our day for bath water, but I'm sure they'll make an exception. Your showing up here has really made a difference in the mood of the community. I actually saw a lot of people smiling for the first time", (said Jennifer).

I think the author could improve his books by using more natural conversations, therefore allowing his readers to fill-in the gaps themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable easy read but not very believable, 24 Nov. 2014
I found the concept of a country losing all its electrics very thought provoking and the lead character very likeable. However the trek on foot across the USA was not very plausible. He had many near misses and was very lucky to be rescued each time he had a near death experience by a good samaritan. The journey was building up to the most difficult part being across Montana as he got closer to home. However this part of the journey was rushed and glossed over somewhat. Almost as if the author had run out of ideas or time.
I found the life of his wife more interesting as she coped with looking after three children and not knowing whether her husband was still alive. The ideas of how a small community would cope with no electricity or motorised transport was very interesting.
I think the story would have been better if the journey home had not been so long but with more detail of the whole journey rather than highlighted extracts.
Overall I liked the book but the tale was rather far-fetched.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 5 Sept. 2012
Well written, very few typos. A realistic exploration of a family's response to an apocalyptic event when separated by a huge distance. Enjoyed it a lot and thank the author for worthwhile read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow...a really great read!, 18 May 2012
I bought this based on the other reviews and have blasted through it in a few days. It's a superb book with great story and characters that just keeps you turning the page. I will be watching out for more by this author as this is excellent. Well done to Mr Gorham!

5.0 out of 5 stars my best books, 24 Mar. 2012
This book has to be one of the best ive read.I couldnt wait to get to the end of each chapter to start the next.As a big fan of apocalyptic fiction it is easily up there with PATRIOTS and hope it goes to print so i can add it to my book collection.I hope the writer continues with work like this as he is one of the best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it could have been, 31 July 2012
I really want to say I enjoyed this novel, and to start with I did. However as the main characters pass a third to halfway it turns into a social commentary on modern mores. In short it becomes less of an adventure novel set in a PA United States and more a treatise on muscular christianity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Best read this year., 16 Sept. 2012
Jenny "Vet Nurse" (Turks & Caicos Islands) - See all my reviews
I started reading this book yesterday afternoon and have just finished it now, less than 24 hours later. I have read the quote "unputdownable" many times in relation to other books, but this one really lives up to that promise. From the opening paragraph to the closing one I have been through every emotion with Kyle and I feel drained, but in a good way. Ray Gorham takes your thinking to a new level with the knowledge that this "event" could actually happen in our lifetime. Be scared......be very scared.

1.0 out of 5 stars ponderous and tedious drivel..., 26 April 2014
RT Twinem "freeloader" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
The kindle...ah the good old kindle all those authors self publishing and hoping to be the next Stephen King...if only...in your dreams Mr Gorham and all those 5 star reviews where have they all come from? If the author had been at school and written this tedious ponderous story his teacher would probably have said....could do better..so what do we have here? There has been an electro magnetic incident and all communication/electrical systems no longer operate and this includes everything from the humble toaster to the micro chip. Nothing functions and our hero Kyle is on a flight home to Montana when the EMT incident occurs resulting in the plane crashing on take off. Our hero, for that he must surely be, decides to walk home to Montana pushing his little cart a mere 1500+ miles to see the beautiful and dutiful Jennifer and his 3 doting kids. In the process he will encounter some not so savoury people and will be tempted by the luscious Rose..eager to bed the first man who appears on the horizon but our hero Kyle although tempted remains faithful to be beautiful Jennifer and continues on his way (writing a touching diary to his loved one in the process...just in case he does not make it) Meanwhile in the good old homestead of Montana Jennifer keeps the fires burning and fights of the advances of a rather sex starved sheriff called Doug...will she succeed? will our hero make it home? and will the world return to normality?...who knows and frankly who cares! What an utterly boring piece of writing, by someone who I presume had read The Road and thought he could write a similar masterpiece!! Well no Mr Gorman this is average in the extreme and possibly you should keep to your day job, I will certainly not be reading any of your future kindle publications and for all those who awarded 5 stars I can only presume you are either friends or family or have a limited reading taste........

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 12 Jun. 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The scenario seemed scarily realistic and the main characters very believable. I loved Kyles desperation to get home and the love he showed for his family. I will be reading part two very soon. The book was well written and a kept me up far too late several nights - I was so keen to find out what would happen to Kyle next. I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves post apocalyptic fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 21 May 2014
As an avid reader of this genre, I highly recommend this book. It's not about kit lists, it's about the human side. Loved it from the beginning and bought the second book before finishing chapter 4. Can't praise it enough. So looking forward to the next installment. Cheers Ray, for a very entertaining read.