5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - a cheerful self-help book
Finally, a self-help book that does not take itself too seriously. “Be Brilliant Every Day” is a positive and jolly volume full of commonsense and very funny quotes to encourage the reader. One of the first chapters is entitled, “Forget self-improvement, try self-remembering” and the author is absolutely correct.

He goes on to point out...
Published 8 months ago by Ms. R. L. A. Amelan

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings...
Published 9 months ago by anahita99

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - a cheerful self-help book, 20 Aug. 2014
Ms. R. L. A. Amelan "Rachel" (Wilmslow, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

He goes on to point out that most people settle for mediocrity and poor standards through sheer inertia and, later, that they make a pretence of busyness but actually fail to engage with the business of living as fully as possible.

Andy Cope and Andy Whittaker are writers with a real sense of humour and they take the reader through a host of examples to encourage understanding of the human condition and assist them on the road to positive thinking. There are also plenty of laughs along the way.

I certainly learned a fair amount and I intend to apply this to enhance my life in doing so I recommend this book as an antidote for those grey skies of life. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're too old for spy dogs read this instead!, 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Be Brilliant Every Day (Paperback)
we were first introduced to the 'brilliant' duo at our childrens school where they hold regular being brilliant days for the kids and open them up to the parents in the evenings. Having read a few of the books and wanting to fall into this mindset was pleasantly surprised when i saw another book was out when reading an article in the newspapers recently. Was straight on amazon to order a copy. This one seems to be the best of theirs that weve read, about a third of the way through its like a veil of murk lifts and you suddenly realise you are the master of your own happiness. i would recommend it and guarantee it will make you laugh out loud. go and watch the Stop It! clip it recommends (by Bob Newhart) it will have you smiling for days. That kind of sums up what this book is all about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Quick Fix, Good Re-Boot and Kick Start, 15 Oct. 2014
Sandford "Sandy" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The book is well constructed, holds the attention with its snappy presentation, and very much gets to the point. Using witticisms and an overall jokey style to present your information is OK, but I felt I became more indulgent with it as it went on, and it feel on the verge of being patronising. However, saying this, the approach is on the cusp here, so it does work, but the authors need to take stock of this particular approach, and not to wear it thin in its use. The “stick people” as cartoon introduction for each chapter merely left me quizzical as to why they were there, which could easily be left out.

This book is excellent for anyone who needs some guidance into getting back on a positive track. I am pleased it doesn’t harp on about positive thinking per se, but is more well rounded than that with emphasis on the overall psychology. It is clear this is written by Brits, which is great, as American stuff can be a bit chunder making with its happy-clappy style.

Reminders of the happiness principle is good, and a humbling reminder of the notion to look for it now, today, and not somewhere in what is a non-existent futuristic fantasy. Take notice of the “beautiful ordinary” and you can’t go far wrong. It is also not intellectually difficult to grab the reality that positive emotions open the mind and potentiate choices, but this book does seem to connect into the practical domain of getting the old arse in gear and making some changes.

The book has an excellent way of addressing the idea of negative self talk, that this is the natural default programme for us all but that we can take stock and pull the reins in before it dominates completely. The overall approach in the book feels realistic, which is of course what it needs to be to promote effectiveness and get results.

My rating drops from 5 to 4 simply because of a few sentences at the end of the book, where there is a rather odd need to justify the publication by the authors, who admit to trawling the ratings of readers. If you have belief in what you have written then there is no need for such comments. Ironically it feels like rather a reflection of negative self talk…..

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging nudge towards everyday brilliance that doesn't take itself too seriously, 9 Sept. 2014
EllyBlue (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not usually one for reading "self help" books, but this one appealed to me for the very reason that it may have put some of the other reviewers off. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and is written in an easy to read style full of self-deprecating humour. I'm a firm believer in the idea that you can learn more effectively with a smile on your face! I'm pretty sure there isn't anything radical here in terms of the ideas, but the combination of cartoons, quotations, anecdotes and psychological research is engaging and provides what the authors believe most of us need to be brilliant every day - that is to say, a nudge in the right direction.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings..., 24 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I originally wrote a much longer review but it someone disappeared so this is the abbreviated version. This book comes with the promise of an accessible and friendly foray into how to change your mindset increase your positivity and find motivation. The writing style is very fluid and it doesn't take long to get through the book. The ideas here are not new, but I think packaged in an easily digestible way - feels like the authors are slightly self deprecating old mates talking through the different areas worth pondering.

What I didn't like was - sometimes the tone of the book was bordering on patronising and there were certain areas or industries they referred to in an inaccurate way - in order to make a point which given 2 of the industries mentioned a know a bit about I found irksome. Anyway that's a side point. This book is certainly not high brow and casts a wide appeal. A slightly different approach to "getting happy" if you will!

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful more than earth-shatering, 13 Oct. 2014
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Be Brilliant Everyday is about humankind's search for happiness and the solution to not being happy most of the time. The book, without any sense of irony, asks whether a book alone can possibly do that and then suggests ways of using positive pyschology, some wisdom from the ancients, philosophers and even physicists to effect a working model for a happy life. It is not a difficult read and certainly not an uninteresting one, with several conclusions along the way: without giving anything away, an American Indian philosophy that says we create our own reality, resonates with me and there is a lot more besides this that will have a positive effect on the reader. Will it make you any happier at the end? Well, it will give you food for thought and some good guidelines such as not going over old ground all the time and letting internal wounds heal without constrantly picking at them - move on, so to speak. The book makes an interesting observation that we all seem more prone to being miserable than to being happy and need to break through our tendency to inertia if we want to find contentment in life, although not in ways that makes our lives busier of more frenetic than usual. Again, without giving anything away, the suggestion that we need to take time over the things that really matter to us is a good one and, though sounding obvious, is not advice most of us take to heart. Who's to say that this book won't change your life: it may make you think more about things and, if you do want to change your life, might help in several ways. Worth reading, but ddon't expect miracles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not formal and stuffy and full of scientific language at all, just full of some really good points., 19 Sept. 2014
must dash cash stash (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really liked the " matey" way with book was written, not formal and stuffy and full of scientific language, it felt more like a pep talk from a friend.It was a decent read, not hard going or preachy like some self help books can be.
So did it change my life? Well not in a great big sweeping motion, no , but it did make approach thinking about things in a different manner and I will be putting some of the things it mentioned into practice.
I will be loaning it out to a few friends ( but I will want it back! ) which is my personal benchmark for a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring in a honest down to earth manner. I want to be brilliant., 14 Sept. 2014
Lilyfae (West Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I devoured this book in a morning. It is very inspiring without being cloying, twee or disconnecting academic.

I was inspired by the suggestion that we are too lazy to change because it requires effort and that we allow ourselves to be stressed and distracted by technology and irritated by others because we are so scared to actually inspect ourselves and just take the time to stop and smell the flowers or simply to try (because we are scared of actually being in a state where we are not 'busy', whether that's binge watching on Netflix or running ourselves ragged for a career we hate).

I've recently had massive change in my life and felt lost and useless because of general society's perception of my choices. Although it's early days, this book has inspired me to try to be brilliant everyday, even if it's acting my backside off happy and vibrant for four minutes to make joy go viral in my household and change my habits that I chose this way and I should rejoice in that rather than worry about what the nameless 'they' (or indeed the unsupportive friends and family) think.

The writing style reminds me hugely of Ian Gilbert's writing on teaching and education where it is spoken in a light-hearted jokey- often blokey- manner but actually delivers a hell of a lot of substantiated information without you feeling bogged down in academic verbosity (apparently a flaw according to Cope's PhD professor, but a boon in communicating to the rest of society), you learn a lot and feel like you understand by being spoken to like a friend rather than the challenging 'I'm so more clever than you approach' which some psychology books take.

I loved the constant references to Carole Dweck, whom I used myself in my masters as I think her research is highly underrated outside of the academic community.
Yes, what they are saying I have heard or read largely before (thanks to an interest in NLP, psychology and learning as a teacher) but the way they communicated it touched me in a way that the academic writing before rarely did, and has actually inspired me to try rather than just advocate change.

Overall, thanks guys, you reminded me of a lot of things I knew, but chose to ignore because it was easier to be a 'busy' angry mood Hoover than to actually try to be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun book that doesn’t take itself too seriously, 7 Aug. 2014
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The idea for this book is that most things in life are fine - but it’s also far too short to settle for fine. It aims to get you to think about your mindset and see how by making little changes you can become a motivated, positive and happy person in a life you love.

One of the first things that I loved about this book was the writing style. From the very first page it was funny, witty and didn’t take itself too seriously. That made me able to take it much more seriously than I probably would have had it been written in dry, textbooky language.

As well as the writing style, the actual content really hits the mark. There’s always the worry with this kind of book that it gets too sickly sweet and pretends that everything is all wonderful and happy in the world. Realistically, we know it’s not so it was refreshing to read parts of the book saying that it’s okay (and normal) to have a moan every now and then, that you don’t have to be bouncy and happy every single day and other such realistic words and advice.

The book is also very stylishly laid out. Yes, there’s a lot of text but there are also plenty of colourful doodles, bubbles and annotations that break up the words and make it infinitely more accessible and readable - especially as a dip in/dip out kind of book.

Overall a really fun book and one that is realistic enough to make you positive about the whole idea of changing your mindset and becoming brilliant everyday. 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is a funny, yet engaging book, 6 Sept. 2014
S. Hammond "Steve" (Frinton-On-Sea, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is a funny, yet engaging book, offering tips, advice, help on being YOU, the best YOU you can be.
this book doesnt necessarily tell you how to improve, but how to make the most of YOU,

this book is very easy to read, written in light-hearted, but informative way and I will use bits and pieces of the information gleaned from this book to try and utilize me.

highly recommended