5.0 out of 5 stars Sceptical? Try it-it WORKS!
Hello,

Published 5 months ago by Brachetthecub

3.0 out of 5 stars Some useful suggestions about how to interact mindfully with the 21st ...
There seems to be a bit of a band wagon being constructed and it is generally called mindfulness. This book is just one of many that has taken the subject and applied it to work situations, which actually is in some senses quite original. Some useful suggestions about how to interact mindfully with the 21st century workplace - interesting discussion about smartphones...
Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sceptical? Try it-it WORKS!, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Mindfulness at Work For Dummies (For Dummies (Psychology & Self Help)) (Kindle Edition)
Hello,

I don't often give feedback or reviews but the book has proved very useful to me & I will shortly be implementing it to my small sales team. Mindfulness? I've been in Sales for many years & have been on countless what I call 'psycho-babble' sales courses. I work in a very, competitive market place & manage a small sales team who are younger than me. I've been finding myself losing focus on the team results as so much of my time is spent managing varied & YOUNG personalities (I must be getting old!). I attended a conference run by Juliet Adams on 'Mindfulness' & was bowled over by the common sense of it all. Granted -there was some very interesting science-y stuff but I was more interested in chatting to other people who said it got RESULTS. Without ruining the book & I hope I don't offend the authors by being simplistic-but it 'clears' the mind & somehow makes you look at what's going on NOW. I know that sounds simplistic & there are lots more benefits to it but my personal performance & more importantly what I've got DONE in the few days I've been studying the book have been very impressive. I seemed to have 'rolled the clock back' 10 year in my work 'age' in my ability to focus on what needs doing & doing it well. I will be putting together training for my team (not read anywhere near enough yet but have already changed my approach on a very good sales-person who's attitude is 'challenging' shall we say & early days yet but 100% seems to be working).

Sorry if this all sounds vague but for me at work it's been a great aid to me & feel sure it will help my Sales Team. Once I've read through the whole book & applied this to my team I'll re-post.

The great thing about the 'dummies' style is you can 'dip in' to bits-all broken down to easy 'chunks'.

All I can say is, as a sceptic on 'psycho babble' work/sales courses-this really works-a lot of it once you read it is sort of 'why didn't I do that before'?! etc...etc...

Highly recommended. Helping me re-focus & I have no doubt my team too. Will report back-feel free to message me if you want-I don't want to clog up Amazon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough outline of what is a spiritual rather than economic mode of consciousness, 15 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mindfulness is the buzz 'concept' in the world of self-help publishing these days and it was inevitable that the practise was extended to improving our employment/economic performance. All things you see these days, must be focused on making us efficient economic units.

Putting cynicism aside, this as with the majority of 'dummies' books, is a clear, energetically presented introduction to what is essentially a Buddhist, spiritual frame of reference which is aimed at coping with the clutter of thoughts that charge continually through your mind, so that you can develop a more refined form of consciousness. It's application in the workplace, as with with all areas of life, can be very useful although I'm not sure the Buddha had in mind the improved efficiency of the corporate world when he devised the concept and attendant techniques.

It's a good and on the whole successful book though and can of course be used outside of the work environment to improve your overall awareness, self-understanding and clarity of consciousness. There are some good exercises and plenty of on-line resources flagged up for you to use. If it is the first time you have encountered the concept of mindfulness, it is probably an effective gateway to you finding out more about what is an essentially spiritual rather than lifestyle/economic way of using your consciousness, which is perhaps the most useful aspect of this book. So use it as an introductory outline to the technique, then search further.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a replacement for a counsellor, but it's a very good start, 28 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I went through a period of suffering from extreme stress and anxiety at work. It had a profound physical and emotional effect on me, to the point where it made me sick. I think a lot of us know this feeling of being overwhelmed and a sense of uselessness. I turned to mindfulness from a recommendation from a friend, and got this book to kickstart my research. And I'm really glad I did.

It's a long book (~380 pages) and there are audio downloads to listen to as well, so it's an investment in time. I found myself becoming a little impatient as I wanted immediate and full results, and it felt that some chapters were not directly appropriate to me (there are a few chapters on applying mindfulness to your organisation as a leader, which I am not). However, I did notice that after the third chapter (which feels like the first chapter that is not background info), and applying the suggested practices, I was already starting to move myself away from the fight-or-flight panics that had affected me, and after the six chapter I was calming down my monkey mind which was swinging from one random thought to the next and able to follow a more structured and constructive approach to my thoughts and actions.

The book is not perfect, and sometimes may even feel a little patronising, but it's worth working through. And I would say that, of the 20 chapters, if you are not looking to apply this to your team or your company (i.e. this is just for you), then you can skip 6 chapters straight away, so the investment is already reduced. Of course, it's a shame that there isn't any feedback mechanism that you would get with a counsellor or trainer, but for the price, this is a great first step.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am surprised how good and comprehensive it is., 17 Aug 2014
P Knitty "P Knitty" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted this book because I teach Mindfulness meditation and have done so for many years.
Meditation and mindfulness are at the center of my life . This is a subject dear to my heart long before it came into common speech and usage . Long before it was of interest tot he general world. So, now that the great value of mindfulness is beginning to be noticed, I wanted to see how it was translated to the workplace and what was in the major and popular publications. I am really pleased and quite surprised. This is an excellent book and very well written to help people find easy but powerful exercises to develop many new skills of peace, harmony and changes to the way they think and the way their brains work.
Not only if it clear and correct in its ethos and practice but it has online audio back up which you can download and use . I have found , so far that the audio is very good too. The audio guides you to a better understanding of what mindfulness practice really is and how to bring into the moment as do you ordinary tasks. How to focus better on yourself and on the needs and feeling of others.

This is a book to use. It will change your life......However ...it is really better to find a teacher or a group and to work with someone experienced for some time. That is true of pretty much all skills and the things in this book are real and deep life skills. Do get a teacher.
I love the book and admire its author. I can heartily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... the Computer/IT category but have steadily expanded to provide useful information in many areas of life, 27 July 2014
Mr. Dk Hamm "hornet123" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Dummies books started off in the Computer/IT category but have steadily expanded to provide useful information in many areas of life. As with all these books, Mindfulness at work for Dummies is for people who want to get an introduction to mindfulness and practical methods of applying it to a working environment.

The book is well laid out in the house style so if you have read other Dummies books, you will feel at home here. The chapters are clear and easy to read and there are plenty of tips and things to try, which are clearly shown through use of an icon. You don't need any prior knowledge or have any scientific nous but for those who want to know about such things there are several short sections labelled "The Science Behind It". These are in dark grey boxes which you can read or you may discard without affecting your understanding of the material.

There are references to audio material and exercises which you can download (there is also a version of the book with a CD containing this material) and there are also other online web resources such as cheat sheets. The web addresses are given in the book.

I recommend this book to anyone who is having a stressful time at work or just wants to improve their mindset but is unsure of how to approach it. It will explain mindfulness to you and guide you through the techniques without expecting you to be an expert but not talking down to you either.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mindfulness is the new black..., 24 Aug 2014
Andrew Foulds "Melancholic Grizzly" (Nottingham,uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have found this book a useful reference tool. Having many other books on Buddhism, meditation and Mindfullness I decided to get this book to see if it could give more specialist information concerning its use in the work environment.There is certainly a lot of information here perhaps at times too much as it can see a bit overwhelming.It is laid out in the same format of other " For Dummies" books, which if you have read many is useful and helps you to navigate the book easier. Chapters are labelled simply and accurately with their contents and important points are highlighted . There are also boxes of useful information summarised. Generally speaking I found this book helpful in introducing mindfulness into my regular work day, I am not always very good at doing it but that is not the fault of the book as there is plenty of useful information and some excercises to aid in incorporating it into your routine. There are also chapters for Employers who want to improve their working environment and effciency. All in all this book is definetly useful in incorporating Mindfulness and its techniques into your working day. After all Mindfulness seems to be the new black!

4.0 out of 5 stars A cleverly worded book., 26 Aug 2014
K. Jamison (Co. Down, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am contemplating the unthinkable. A dramatic change in my career just over a year shy of my half century.

I have always striven to "work smarter, not harder" and basic CBT can help you find those areas where your mind wanders so you can get it back on the track.

Most of this book is just common sense but the problem we likely face is that common sense can be too common and it's easily overlooked if we encounter situations that are stressful and outside our comfort zone.

This book is similar to a sharpening/honing stone. It will help you to put an edge on your wits in the workplace, wherever that may be, and it will keep that edge sharp through regular reference.

I've always been a big fan of the 'Dummies' books and I own several. The major selling point for me is the 'small steps' approach and the helping notes scattered throughout the pages. This book is great for dipping into and 10-15 minutes a day makes all the difference when it's added up over a week or a month.

The benefits are only limited by your own plans for your career.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bout it covers the ground pretty, 19 Aug 2014
Adam Smith (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another addition to the growing volume of books, DVDs, and other material on mindfulness. What we should really be doing is dropping the workload arising from the need to do ever increasing hours, remaining in touch 24/7, instead of using mindfulness techniques to cope. Bout it covers the ground pretty well

4.0 out of 5 stars Stop, look and listen - you'll work better, 4 July 2014
Ms. Felicia Davis-burden (Staines, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Most of what's in this book is common sense: Set priorities for your day, think of the knock-on effects if you neglect any of your duties and so on. The presence of so many books on this subjects suggests that there is fare more to being mindful than using common sense.

The Dummies series has produced its own tome on Mindfulness at Work, making mention of both the Buddhist Mindful attitude and the Cognitive approach. The Buddhist approach asks you to acknowledge all feelings and thoughts that pass by you in the 'here and now' but simply focus on the moments themselves. You think about 'Cause and Effect', closer to daily reality than the concept of 'Karma'. It seems that one major factor in what is needed is 'Cognitive Therapy', with its concentration on the mind's response to changing or challenging situations.

This book features practical advice for the workplace, to improve individual productivity. Several chapters instruct managers and 'Team Leaders' in how to manage more 'mindfully'. Crucially, no religion is involved; just further, more technically written examples of common sense!

Many of us find it very difficult to set aside time to just think without the distractions of technology or other people stressing us out. Many of the 'Mindful' tips are to do with making notes, tackling one task at a time. Although they are probably useful, unfortunately I don't think many of us would find time for the 'Mindfulness At Work Training' plan or to conduct 'Body Scans'. We're too busy trying to do our jobs!

Still, this is a fascinating book with plenty to note down for anyone who feels that they could be more efficient in their part of a department. Well done, Dummies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be a dummy at work no longer!, 23 May 2014
If you are going to buy a self-improvement book anytime, I would highly recommend getting a copy of this book and having it at easy reach!

It is packed with valuable information, exercises and tips to transform your work experience into one of high productivity and satisfaction. There are good examples throughout the book as well as down to earth scientific 'bites' of evidence which are both fascinating and useful. Why not mould your brain to be more resilient to stresses and struggles we all come up against in the work environment? Learn to focus with refreshingly full attention while experiencing better relationships with those you work with no matter what level of employment you are currently in. The book is set out in a very easy to navigate way, making it easy to use and digest and return to.
I think with the help of this book we may just see a revolution in how we approach and treat word, leading to happier, healthier and more productive workforces! I am so impressed with this book, I believe it will not only change your work life for the better, but will inevitably have positive effects in all areas of your life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›