Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 30 July 2014
I enjoyed reading this book as I like exploring fiction that deals with the fall of human civilisation etc but in a way that incorporates adventure and a good plot.

This book dealt with the prepping bit and with the building up of characters' story lines and laid the foundation for future volumes that will I assume cover the next steps in the fall and attempted recovery of the human race.

I liked getting to know where the characters have come from and something of who they are, rather than just discover them as the world falls apart.

I look forward to the next book
on 15 October 2015
Dull, dull, dull. Numerous characters without a real part in the story, the story only gets started at the end, deeply up satisfying read. However I decided to persist as I thought there must be some good parts. Wrong. The book felt like and introduction, and even as an intro, never got started. So, no, I am not tempted by book 2 as this was a good possible story poorly executed and painful to read.
on 16 February 2015
Too much telling, not enough showing for me. But I like the story and the ideas within it. Could have been better.
on 29 July 2014
*** Alert; Spoilers - if something this flawed can be spoiled ***

This book is annoying. It has some reasonable characters and a reasonable disaster premise but has something missing - the post apocalypse bit! This is a book about prepping, not the actual survivor bit - which is a shame as that was the bit I most wanted to read. The main prepper character, after spending years of careful planning, stock piling, building, training, etc. lasts less than one day after the power goes out. That was pretty pointless.
Also the American train of thought about the collapse of society seems to be restricted in scope. Instead of building a robust citadel stocked for two years on the fringes of civilisation, why not prepare to move to a place that is currently low tech like the tribal Amazon forest or any of the aboriginal areas of the world? Not an immediate solution but the stay put idea wouldn't work. We also know too much to revert to the stone age in just two generations. Even Americans must acknowledge civilisations existed between the stone age and electricity and the most obvious path is something similar to medieval community.
I read through this at a fair pace but I wouldn't buy any sequel.
on 5 May 2014
I am not normally moved to write reviews but had to in this case. The author builds the pace slowly but surely while introducing us to the characters as they go about their daily business, most of them totally dependent on modern technology, as we all are, not realising how quickly and easily it could be wiped out. It is a dire warning of what could happen anytime, it has before and it will again.

The scary thing is that our governments know this but we all bimble along, hoping for the best, taking no precautions against it. This is no silly story of flesh eating zombies, this is real - please read it, you won't be disappointed and to be forewarned is to be forearmed, as the saying goes! Can't wait for the sequal.
on 3 August 2014
Why spend so much time building the characters up and then just abadndoming them post-apocalypse? What happened to them all? How did it feel for the blogger to not have millions of subscribers hanging on her every word ever again? How did the sister and brother survive? What happened to the vile peeping fat guy?What happened to Max? Really annoying, put me off even considering buying anything by Banner again. Shame as the build up was good, but waht we want is post Armageddon!
on 8 May 2014
I chose this book because I'm a huge fan of the genre. The first bonus is that this is more like old school apocalypse books, and not the usual modern zombie releases. It's a well set-up page-turner with solid tech, and I liked the characters. All of the key elements which enable me to enjoy a book. Highly recommended.
on 7 May 2014
I loved this book and can't wait for the follow-up. I've always been fascinated by the science behind CME's and this author managed to go into good detail without pontificating to us mortals like some other books I've read on the subject. Thanks.
on 18 November 2014