Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.15

on 12 April 2014
A darkly amusing observation on British class, race and parenthood .A great read and well written. Thanks MB Munroe, I look forward to reading more of your work.
on 12 April 2014
Written with a very distinctive, compelling style: flowing, creative, poignant, heartfelt and at times, painfully blunt. It is intelligent and descriptive as well as being very down to earth, honest and relevant.
I loved it and read it in one; and It left me wanting to grab my dad and hold him tight.
It left me with a tear in my eye.
Thank you MB Munroe.
on 30 June 2014
Last Black Man By M B Munroe

Review By Maria Bradley (Author)

At kindergarten we are taught simplicity, acceptance, truth, caring & love. It's a mystery to me that we are then launched into a world of adults, some of which make it their business to behave the exact opposite of that. The world isn't colour-blind, but if it were, we wouldn't be constantly teetering on the edge of nuclear oblivion. This is a short story that examines the difficulties involved in being black in a place where you are an ethnic minority, and are surrounded by white faces.
It explores the history of a man whose father believed that most black boys were predestined to fail. His father was Guyanese, and his people were descendants of black slaves who had escaped and hidden in the bush until the nineteenth century.

On arriving in England, after fighting the Nazis for said country, this man's father's worst fear was that his son would become another statistic – that he would slide into a world of abject poverty or criminal success. He told him that a black man had to work twice as hard, be twice as clever, twice as smart and twice as dedicated, just to achieve the success that a white man would take for granted.
The last black man did what was expected, while both hating and loving the man who was pushing him to do it.

In the story, the last black man is at a pivotal point in his life; he is attending a polo match where he is opening his eyes and taking in the jewel covered plastic of the rich people around him. I don't want to tell you the heart of the whole story, but suffice to say is that I'm impressed enough to want to do that.

This is a story that is so much more than a story – it will make you think about so many aspects of the divisive world we live in, and, if you are like me, you will certainly want to know more. When the next book appears on Amazon, there you will find me.
on 13 April 2014
A well observed tale of class and race in modern Britain. Compelling and fizzing with intelligence. The only drawback is that it's nearly long enough, hence the 3 stars. But I look forward to more Mr Munroe.
on 11 April 2014
Very powerful read, loved it.
A great insight between fathers and sons! Would recommend to all races, think all groups would benefit from this sharp short story.
on 30 May 2014
The Last Black Man is a thoughtful read with some really interesting observations on race, class, identity and family relationships. The protagonist is a man who finds himself as much at odds with the world as his father did before him, and as he seeks to understand his father, so he begins to understand himself, and his son. Munroe deals with these complex themes sensitively and humorously, and writes in an appealing style.
on 29 May 2014
Munroe's last black man is an emotional rollercoaster as a black guy at an all white polo match reflects on his life. As someone in a mixed couple, his observations are both funny and tragic . A new voice for black britons who have white collar jobs and listen to opera!!
on 13 May 2014
I thought this story would be all about black struggle, but it's more a look at class in the UK. The narrator 'fly in the ointment' - he's worked hard and made it, but didn't forsee just how hard it would be to be the 'last black man' in a very white world. Very good!
on 23 April 2014
I thought the writing was excellent, however the over repeating of names instead of new material is a let down.The story is great and a learning curve for many of us.Though short,but why a sudden end.........you killed me, wanted to know if the family ever stayed together after the Polo, did he end up accumulating many debts after leading such a fake life??

Maybe you could serialize it as it would be a great eye opener for many young Black men.
Thanks for sharing that story!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 14 April 2014
As a fellow second generation immigrant, I thoroughly enjoyed this and recognised many experiences - for better or worse! Great stuff.