4.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre and wacky read
Midnight Crossroad's has a writing style unlike anything I have ever read before. The best way I can describe it is as a omnipresent narrative. With that being said, It did take me a few chapters to get into- but once I was there, I couldn't put it down.

Published 9 months ago by Robyn K

3.0 out of 5 stars Luke-warm adventure in Texas
Published 4 months ago by Orchidroom

4.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre and wacky read, 8 May 2014

I am only familiar with Charlaine Harris through her Sookie Stackhouse books and I was unsure if I would like this new offering. I am pleased to say I did.

Midnight Crossroad, Texas is a bizarre town full of supernatural beings. It sounds like a old joke: A vampire, witch and psychic walk into bar; what you get is a wacky who done it with plenty of unforgettable characters.

This is a great start to a new series. It is full of unique characters; all with a story to tell. If you are looking for a book that is slightly different from the normal summer reads, then this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent Harris fiction, 16 Jun. 2014
Cloggie Downunder (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Midnight Crossroad is the first book in the Midnight Texas trilogy by popular American author, Charlaine Harris. Midnight, Texas looks like a pretty standard dried-up western town, with lots of vacant buildings and few full-time inhabitants. The people who do live there, as new resident, psychic Manfred Bernardo soon discovers, are a bit unusual, although most are friendly and helpful. His landlord, Bobo Winthrop runs Midnight Pawn during the day; at night his basement tenants, the chilling Lemuel Bridger and the beautiful and very capable Olivia Charity take care of the business. Fiji Cavanaugh, self-proclaimed witch, runs The Inquiring Mind in a cottage left to her by her Great Aunt Mildred, along with her unusual cat, Mr Snuggles. The reclusive Reverend Emilio Sheehan looks after the Wedding Chapel and Pet Cemetery. Madonna Reed cooks wonderful meals at the Home Cookin diner. The aptly named Joe Strong runs the Antique Gallery and Nail Salon with his partner Chuy Villegas. Shawn Lovell runs the busiest concern in town, the Gas N Go, while keeping a tight rein on his pretty daughter, Creek and handful of a son, Connor. Not long after Manfred’s arrival, the body of Bobo’s missing girlfriend is discovered, and suspicion initially falls on Bobo. A pair of strangers also threatens the peace of the town, and Midnight’s residents take steps to protect their own. A diligent sheriff from nearby Davy, Arthur Smith is determined to flush out the killer. After a somewhat slow start as Harris sets the scene, the pace picks up and this novel is as intriguing and enjoyable as Harris’s other short series: Aurora Teagarden, Lily Bard and Harper Connelly. Fans of those series will recognise Bobo from Shakespeare’s Champion, Manfred from the Harper Connelly series, and Sheriff Arthur Smith from the Aurora Teagarden series. Harris peoples this series with interesting characters, her dialogue is witty and sharp, and the plot includes a vampire, white supremacists, gays, kidnapping, Halloween traditions, arson and a truly shocking climax. Readers who enjoy this instalment will look forward to the next book in the trilogy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sheer genius!, 27 Feb. 2015
I had no idea what to expect from this book and if honest was somewhat disappointed by the very slow pace that the story seemed set at initially. A new resident arrives in the sleepy town of Midnight Texas and almost from the start a motley crew of characters unfold as we read. Such an odd assortment of characters each seemingly with secrets and yet it's very obvious that questions are frowned upon. As the story meanders along and we get to know more ( and less!) about the towns quirky inhabitants and then something happens that's a game changer ! Not everyone in Midnight is human and not everyone behaves in a humane manner and someone's secrets are about to come to light!
The writing here was sheer genius! Why? Well it's such an odd way to introduce things and yet I suddenly realised that the pace of the writing directly reflects the pace of life in this Podunk little town. Everyone has a story to tell and yet the author constantly teases the reader which enables all sorts of ideas to form as we read. As it unfolds there is obviously the communities secrets to discover but more importantly theres a mystery to solve that allows the townsfolk to pull together. There's not an awful lot of action if honest but things do happen with surprising consequences. I'm guessing this is just the start and there will be a lot more to come and fans of this author will recognise certain characters . So a different type of story but there's still paranormal elements in it so that appealed to me. I loved all the eccentric characters and the close community spirit they shared. If you enjoy unraveling a mystery whilst being thoroughly entertained then this new series should fit the bill nicely
I was gifted a copy of this in exchange for an honest review

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and darker than you would think from its beginning, 26 Feb. 2015
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a gloriously unusual fantasy read set in a small (VERY small) Texas town where most (if not all) the inhabitants are of the paranormal persuasion. Manfred Bernardo who is a minor character in the Harper Connelly books by the same author moves to the town following the death of his grandmother to set up his psychic business. As the books develops he meets his neighbours - the owner of the pawnshop (Bobo Winthrop from the Lily Bard books), his lodgers who only go out at night, the resident witch and her cat, the very strange minister who has a pet cemetery, and the other inhabitants. There is a slow beginning but the author needs the time to introduce her characters and to hint at their secrets.

After a time the body of Bobo's missing girlfriend is discovered and it appears that she has been murdered. The inhabitants of the town and the local sheriff (I recognised him from the Aurora Teagarden novels) investigate and the town which has seemed twee and safe is suddenly revealed to have some very dark secrets and some people dedicated to keeping them hidden.

This is a clever and engaging book. It seems on the surface to be a fun story of magical folk but it actually has a lot of depth. The theme of the book is diversity and living together as exemplified in the various characters in the town but there is also an examination of bigotry and hate. The ending of the story is truly shocking and you certainly cannot see it coming from the gentle beginning - I am very much looking forward to seeing where the author takes us in subsequent novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Set in Some of The Worlds of Ms. Harris, 8 May 2014
Welcome to Midnight Crossroad, where everyone has a secret. Some are deadly, some are funny and some just downright odd. Nevertheless, one thing is for sure, EVERYONE has one!

A word of warning, it might seem to some of those who have read the Sookie Stackhouse series that this book may be set in Sookie's world - but in my opinion it is not. However, there are some elements that could possibly suggest that it is. I think that this is a very different world and one that I am happy to have been able to enjoy very much.

I loved this book, however it took me at least 30 percent of it before I came to the conclusion that I would even like it let alone love it. Ms Harris spends a goodly amount of time describing Midnight TX - where houses and buildings are situated and what they look like and then she spends a good amount of time giving us a general idea of the personalities of her characters. A bit dry, bland and boring.

Overall, quite typical of a set-up first novel in a trilogy.

What I adored about this book is that so many of the characters come from all of her other series. The Sherriff comes from the Aurora Teagarden series, Bobo from Lily Bard series, Manfred from the Harper Connelly series - I don't remember if there are any characters from the Sookie series - if there were some they would have not been important enough for me to have remembered them.

This is not Sookies world, although it is a preternatural one. And not everyone is out of the closet (so to speak) yet. At least not obviously.

I will pass on the re-cap/synopsis since I may spoil things for you and a couple of reviews/re-caps I have read has already done that for me.

The writing is meticulous as usual. The humor is there and is a sly, dry, wit that we have found in Ms Harris' other series. The mystery is complicated enough without the usage of numerous red herrings that can easily get on ones last nerve. The main bad guy appears that he will be a major factor in the next two books, so this will be interesting.

I cannot wait to see who is next to come out of the paranormal closet in this town!

4.0 out of 5 stars slow but interesting starter, 8 May 2014
Jeannie Zelos "jeanie zelos book reviews" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Midnight Crossroads, Charlaine Harris.
Arc supplied via Netgalley

I'm a fervent Sookie Stack-house fan, have reads the whole series a few times now * blush *, and enjoyed the Lily Bard series also, and when I saw Charlaine had a new series beginning I had to request a copy!
So, what did I think? Well, Sookie had me engrossed from the first page, but this has a more gentle feel. It took me a while to really get into the book, although I “knew” Bobo the other characters were new to me, not having read the other series Charlaine wrote. However they're all interesting characters and as the story moved on I felt like I was getting to know them better. It must be difficult writing a new series after so many years immersed in BonTemps, and its become such a popular series that Charlaine's name becomes almost synonymous with Sookie Stack-house...and that's a tough act to follow. Writing is tough anyway – I know, I tried ( and failed!) so following a popular novel is a real challenge but one that's working well here I think. I like the idea of meeting some of the characters as they have grown on.
Bobo is older than when I knew him, but still the same affable, generous man. The other characters each had their own quirks, Manfred, a new resident to Midnight, is an online Psychic, Fiji who's a witch ( with the fabulous cat Mr Snuggles!!), there's the Rev, slightly mysterious, very aloof, and respected by all, he does weddings and pet funerals...Lemuel, a vampire with a difference, Olivia – well, she's clearly more than human but I’m not sure exactly what she is. There are others too, but these seem to be the main characters so far, and the story slowly unfolds. Its a gentle mystery, setting the scene for some further developments from this story I suspect...and I didn't work out who or what was behind it. I like being surprised and this certainly caught me out.
It feels as though even though I think I know more about these people and the mystery that developed by the end of the novel, there's still very much more to come, and I'm hoping its going to be another fairly long series. It appears like one of those where you think once the mystery has been solved that's it, end, finis, and yet it's not, each development builds on to a larger, more complex one, and we get lost in a different world. It's a gentle start, not an in the throat, grab you and suck you in to the story that Sookie was for me, but more the slow introduction and build up of characters and story that the Lily Bard mysteries were. I enjoyed it, but I think I was expecting a more Sookie type of drama. My bad, its clearly labelled as something very different. Still – I want to read more, and see where this series is taking us. Its a subdued, gentle start, not a drama filled, emotional read. I've genuinely no idea what's going to come next, that's part of the fun, and I enjoyed this beginning to a new series.
Stars: Four, a very interesting beginning
ARC supplied via Netgalley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Midnight Crossing. Brilliant, 16 Sept. 2014
Loved it.i have read all her books,and wanted to see what she would do with this one.Well, it's a bit wacky and off the wall.I have met some characters before ,so it was nice to meet them again.Its a murder mystery with a twist that I didn't see coming...the inhabitants of the town are all supernatural to a degree. The only normal one is the sheriff,who tries to investigate the death of Bobo's missing girlfriend,while the township is also is doing this.Guess who does....A witch,vampire,psychic,a cat (!) and sundry others make an enthralling tale.I am now waiting for the next instalment......

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 1 Dec. 2014
Netty Washbourne (Gloucester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I had read all the reviews before purchasing this book. Some of the reviews made me think that it was going to be a difficult read.
Well I have to say that they were all wrong!
It doesn't matter that you haven't read any of the other series of books. If anything, they'd encourage you to go out and find who was in what series.
I loved the characters especially the cat. Mr Snuggles I love you!!😊 I look forward to finding out what happens next and what magical adventure they all go on.
I encourage all fans of Charlaine Harris to read this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Luke-warm adventure in Texas, 27 Oct. 2014
mmmm well - maybe I had high hopes but this left me feeling luke-warm. Midnight is a small town in Texas, on-line psychic Manfred moves there and starts to get to know the inhabitants. I liked the promise of the story, a bit of mystery solving, a bit of a laugh, some of the characters had 'immortal' and other-worldly sides to them. But the story didn't really take off, no sizzling chemistry or shockers, not gripping plot lines, I didn't feel like I was 'there'... I'll try the next novel to see if things improve as I really do love Charlaine Harris books.

2.0 out of 5 stars ... with high expectations as I think Harris is a good auothor. However, 8 Sept. 2014
I came to this book with high expectations as I think Harris is a good auothor. However, I was badly dissapointed. This book is painfully slow. More than half of the book is taken up with trival chatter between the redsidents of Midnight. Chapeter after chapeter I had to read about how 1 resident went to get their shopping, while another got her nails done. Overall very little happens in the book apside from the main murder which is dragged out endlessly.

I don't think I will be reading the next book in this series.