4.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre and wacky read
Midnight Crossroad's has a writing style unlike anything I have ever read before. The best way I can describe it is as a omnipresent narrative. With that being said, It did take me a few chapters to get into- but once I was there, I couldn't put it down.

Published 14 months ago by Robyn K

3.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, slow pace
Published 3 months ago by Splashes Into Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre and wacky read, 8 May 2014

I am only familiar with Charlaine Harris through her Sookie Stackhouse books and I was unsure if I would like this new offering. I am pleased to say I did.

Midnight Crossroad, Texas is a bizarre town full of supernatural beings. It sounds like a old joke: A vampire, witch and psychic walk into bar; what you get is a wacky who done it with plenty of unforgettable characters.

This is a great start to a new series. It is full of unique characters; all with a story to tell. If you are looking for a book that is slightly different from the normal summer reads, then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and darker than you would think from its beginning, 26 Feb. 2015
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a gloriously unusual fantasy read set in a small (VERY small) Texas town where most (if not all) the inhabitants are of the paranormal persuasion. Manfred Bernardo who is a minor character in the Harper Connelly books by the same author moves to the town following the death of his grandmother to set up his psychic business. As the books develops he meets his neighbours - the owner of the pawnshop (Bobo Winthrop from the Lily Bard books), his lodgers who only go out at night, the resident witch and her cat, the very strange minister who has a pet cemetery, and the other inhabitants. There is a slow beginning but the author needs the time to introduce her characters and to hint at their secrets.

After a time the body of Bobo's missing girlfriend is discovered and it appears that she has been murdered. The inhabitants of the town and the local sheriff (I recognised him from the Aurora Teagarden novels) investigate and the town which has seemed twee and safe is suddenly revealed to have some very dark secrets and some people dedicated to keeping them hidden.

This is a clever and engaging book. It seems on the surface to be a fun story of magical folk but it actually has a lot of depth. The theme of the book is diversity and living together as exemplified in the various characters in the town but there is also an examination of bigotry and hate. The ending of the story is truly shocking and you certainly cannot see it coming from the gentle beginning - I am very much looking forward to seeing where the author takes us in subsequent novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great characters, slow pace, 25 April 2015
This is the first book in the Midnight, Texas trilogy. Manfred Bernardo moves into the small town of Midnight and is helped to move in by some of his neighbours. He’s a psychic and quickly discovers that his neighbours are very accepting, including him in events they organise, like the first annual picnic. He also finds out that they include a witch and a vampire, amongst others! Bobo, who runs the local pawn shop, is troubled by the disappearance of his partner, Aubrey, and his past. There again, most residents in this tight knit community has secrets but whatever happens they’re very supportive of each other especially following the discovery at the picnic!

The story is told from multiple points of view. Some secrets are revealed - but others are not, remain teasers for the next book in the series. I’d like to say I loved this and look forward to the next books in the series but, very sorry, I can’t. It was an ok read (hence the 3*), it has a great range of characters and overall plot but the pace seemed so slow at times it was difficult to want to keep reading. Actually, I loved some of the author’s earlier books but this one just didn’t totally engage me but don’t let that put you off, you may well love it!

Thanks to the author, publishers and NetGalley, too, for letting me read an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and compelling, 1 May 2015
Midnight, Texas is a town full of secrets…if you could call it a town. Small and ramshackle, it boasts a pawnshop, a gas station, an antique store that also doubles as a nail salon and a restaurant, yet it’s the one traffic light that makes most people stop when speeding through the dusty roads would have been preferable. For Manfred Bernardo, the sleepy town is exactly where he wants to settle and manage his online Psychic business.

Renting a house from the town heart-throb and pawnshop owner Bobo, Manfred quickly learns that the best way to get along in Midnight is not to ask questions as he meets characters as diverse as Fiji the witch and Lemuel the energy sucking vampire. However the quiet stillness is shattered when a town picnic uncovers the body of a missing former resident. Suddenly the residents of Midnight and their many secrets come under the spotlight as an investigation is launched.

Harris’s talent for combining small town charm with the paranormal can’t help but suck you in to these quirky characters’ lives. Each with their own vivid personalities, straight-shooting Southern manner and mysterious pasts, Harris crafts a community of misfits, marching to the beat of their own drums that will soon have you tapping your feet along with them.

While a little slow to start, the story soon gathers pace and flows easily as Harris draws us deeper into the mystery and cleverly distracts us with several side plots that are equally enthralling. With themes as diverse as magic, mystery, murder, racism and psychopathy, Harris sets the bar high for this new series and manages to deliver a delightful, readable and compelling story.

Signalling the return of Harris as the queen of urban fantasy, MIDNIGHT CROSSROAD with its oddball cast, southern charm and easy pace will whet your appetite for more of her original supernatural mysteries.

four-stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but starts off slow, 13 April 2015
hross42877 (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Thank you to Orion/Gollancz for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

I confess I should have read this book a long time ago, well what I mean is usually when a Charlaine Harris book comes out I buy it straight away and devour it, but Midnight Crossroad came out not long after I started blogging and I was excitedly overwhelmed by some other crazy good books and they kind off got in the way.

If you are a fan you will know book 2 in this series (of which I will be reviewing soon, making up for lost time you see!) is out soon and I wanted to see if Midnight Crossroad lived up to the excellence of it's predecessors, you know the ones - Aurora, Sookie, Harper and Lily plus countless other stories Charlaine has written.

Midnight was nearly a did not finish, just nearly but I persevered, Midnight is a small town is the back end of nowhere, Texas, it's inhabitants are few but the ones who live there are close knit and a little on the eccentric side, new arrival Manfred Bernardo (devoted readers of CH's work should recognise this character from a previous series) has come to Midnight to start a new life and to work in private as a psychic.

Now as we learn about him and the other people who live here it seemed to take ages to get anywhere, it did plod a little, those first couple dozen pages where a little tough but they are worth the wait.

The book all of a sudden goes from slow burn to WTF just happened? What seemed to be a book about some quirky characters turns in to a supernatural murder mystery with the added bonus of some characters from all of her series popping in to the dialogue.

I don't want to spoil it for you but one of the town's residents girlfriend had walked out on him, her body is found, he is a suspect but it turns out her life was full of lies plus he has some of his and the other residents lives slowly become less private as the police start snooping round and some less desirable characters too.

Charlaine Harris is one of my favourite writers (though I'm not sure if I have forgiven her for the last Sookie book) and I am glad I stuck with this one, thinking back the town (if you can call it that) of Midnight is slow paced and the start of the book introduces us gently to the characters, told from several POV's too it really is an enjoyable read and I shall be starting book 2 very shortly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampires, witches, psychopaths and a lot of secrets., 27 Mar. 2015
OlgaNM "Olga" (Penistone, South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I must thank Net Galley and the publishers for providing me with a complimentary advance copy of the novel before its publication for the purposes of a review.
I have read a few novels by Charlaine Harris before. Some from the Sookie Stackhouse collection but also a couple more, and I was intrigued by this novel that announces the beginning of another series.
Midnight is a semi-ghost town where Manfred, a young man who has psychic powers and works as an internet and phone psychic (although most of his advice has nothing to do with his real abilities) arrives at the beginning of his novel. His arrival serves as an introduction for the readers as well and the first chapter is mostly descriptive of the town and its inhabitants. Apart from being a quiet place, it appears that by tacit agreement, people in Midnight follow a policy of “don’t ask, don’t tell”. Some characters seem to have their secrets closer to the surface than others, but my impression is that as the series develops we’ll learn many mysterious things from most (if not all) the characters.
A murder is discovered (during the first, and probably the last, annual picnic of Midnight) and the investigation and complications that ensue result in an unravelling of many of the secrets that had been so well kept until then.
I found the cast of characters promising (the reverend with his Pet Cemetery, Fiji and her, oh so very special cat, Bobo, Olivia and Lemuel…), the setting interesting enough, and the central story itself intriguing and I did not guess the outcome. The style is deceptively easy, and the omniscient third person narrator that takes on different characters’ point of view in turn, helps us empathise and get to know some of them better (although, of course, not all of them). There are paranormal elements, a vampire and his human girlfriend who make a deadly couple (but good friends of their friends), magic, bizarre pawn shops, white supremacist groups, lies, Halloween parties, wholesome meals, justice of sorts, and a moral/ethical question that will make you think and ponder your position.
Midnight Crossroad is an engaging and easy read that has good rhythm and comes to a satisfying conclusion although leaves enough answered questions to keep you coming back. I’m not sure I’d move there, but for sure I’ll keep on reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sheer genius!, 27 Feb. 2015
I had no idea what to expect from this book and if honest was somewhat disappointed by the very slow pace that the story seemed set at initially. A new resident arrives in the sleepy town of Midnight Texas and almost from the start a motley crew of characters unfold as we read. Such an odd assortment of characters each seemingly with secrets and yet it's very obvious that questions are frowned upon. As the story meanders along and we get to know more ( and less!) about the towns quirky inhabitants and then something happens that's a game changer ! Not everyone in Midnight is human and not everyone behaves in a humane manner and someone's secrets are about to come to light!
The writing here was sheer genius! Why? Well it's such an odd way to introduce things and yet I suddenly realised that the pace of the writing directly reflects the pace of life in this Podunk little town. Everyone has a story to tell and yet the author constantly teases the reader which enables all sorts of ideas to form as we read. As it unfolds there is obviously the communities secrets to discover but more importantly theres a mystery to solve that allows the townsfolk to pull together. There's not an awful lot of action if honest but things do happen with surprising consequences. I'm guessing this is just the start and there will be a lot more to come and fans of this author will recognise certain characters . So a different type of story but there's still paranormal elements in it so that appealed to me. I loved all the eccentric characters and the close community spirit they shared. If you enjoy unraveling a mystery whilst being thoroughly entertained then this new series should fit the bill nicely
I was gifted a copy of this in exchange for an honest review

4.0 out of 5 stars Set in Some of The Worlds of Ms. Harris, 8 May 2014
Welcome to Midnight Crossroad, where everyone has a secret. Some are deadly, some are funny and some just downright odd. Nevertheless, one thing is for sure, EVERYONE has one!

A word of warning, it might seem to some of those who have read the Sookie Stackhouse series that this book may be set in Sookie's world - but in my opinion it is not. However, there are some elements that could possibly suggest that it is. I think that this is a very different world and one that I am happy to have been able to enjoy very much.

I loved this book, however it took me at least 30 percent of it before I came to the conclusion that I would even like it let alone love it. Ms Harris spends a goodly amount of time describing Midnight TX - where houses and buildings are situated and what they look like and then she spends a good amount of time giving us a general idea of the personalities of her characters. A bit dry, bland and boring.

Overall, quite typical of a set-up first novel in a trilogy.

What I adored about this book is that so many of the characters come from all of her other series. The Sherriff comes from the Aurora Teagarden series, Bobo from Lily Bard series, Manfred from the Harper Connelly series - I don't remember if there are any characters from the Sookie series - if there were some they would have not been important enough for me to have remembered them.

This is not Sookies world, although it is a preternatural one. And not everyone is out of the closet (so to speak) yet. At least not obviously.

I will pass on the re-cap/synopsis since I may spoil things for you and a couple of reviews/re-caps I have read has already done that for me.

The writing is meticulous as usual. The humor is there and is a sly, dry, wit that we have found in Ms Harris' other series. The mystery is complicated enough without the usage of numerous red herrings that can easily get on ones last nerve. The main bad guy appears that he will be a major factor in the next two books, so this will be interesting.

I cannot wait to see who is next to come out of the paranormal closet in this town!

4.0 out of 5 stars Charlaine Harris Back to Her Best, 23 Jun. 2015
Welcome to Midnight in Texas, home to only a few people but to my pleasure some returning characters from previous Charlaine Harris series. Look out for characters from the Harper Connelly mysteries as well as an old favourite from Shakespeare!

For me this book, the first in a new series, Midnight Texas, returns Charlaine Harris to the writing of her pre-Sookie Stackhouse days. For those readers not familiar with her writing before the series which inspired the TV Series True Blood you really must go check out the back catalogue as this is full of her best work!

As much as I enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse series I missed the mystery and suspense that Charlaine Harris does so well, but also in quite a light hearted way. In Midnight she has kept an air of the paranormal she introduced in Bon Temps with the mysterious characters who have all ended up in this middle of nowhere town.

With the inevitable death of a local Charlaine Harris weaves a beautiful web of whodunnit that leaves you guessing to the end. As with most of her books, I was completely thrown sideways by the eventual reveal...nothing obvious here folks!

I'm so pleased to see Charlaine Harris back to what she does best and am already halfway through the next book in the series!

Thanks to Orion Publishing Group for the ARC in return for this this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars slow but interesting starter, 8 May 2014
Midnight Crossroads, Charlaine Harris.
Arc supplied via Netgalley

I'm a fervent Sookie Stack-house fan, have reads the whole series a few times now * blush *, and enjoyed the Lily Bard series also, and when I saw Charlaine had a new series beginning I had to request a copy!
So, what did I think? Well, Sookie had me engrossed from the first page, but this has a more gentle feel. It took me a while to really get into the book, although I “knew” Bobo the other characters were new to me, not having read the other series Charlaine wrote. However they're all interesting characters and as the story moved on I felt like I was getting to know them better. It must be difficult writing a new series after so many years immersed in BonTemps, and its become such a popular series that Charlaine's name becomes almost synonymous with Sookie Stack-house...and that's a tough act to follow. Writing is tough anyway – I know, I tried ( and failed!) so following a popular novel is a real challenge but one that's working well here I think. I like the idea of meeting some of the characters as they have grown on.
Bobo is older than when I knew him, but still the same affable, generous man. The other characters each had their own quirks, Manfred, a new resident to Midnight, is an online Psychic, Fiji who's a witch ( with the fabulous cat Mr Snuggles!!), there's the Rev, slightly mysterious, very aloof, and respected by all, he does weddings and pet funerals...Lemuel, a vampire with a difference, Olivia – well, she's clearly more than human but I’m not sure exactly what she is. There are others too, but these seem to be the main characters so far, and the story slowly unfolds. Its a gentle mystery, setting the scene for some further developments from this story I suspect...and I didn't work out who or what was behind it. I like being surprised and this certainly caught me out.
It feels as though even though I think I know more about these people and the mystery that developed by the end of the novel, there's still very much more to come, and I'm hoping its going to be another fairly long series. It appears like one of those where you think once the mystery has been solved that's it, end, finis, and yet it's not, each development builds on to a larger, more complex one, and we get lost in a different world. It's a gentle start, not an in the throat, grab you and suck you in to the story that Sookie was for me, but more the slow introduction and build up of characters and story that the Lily Bard mysteries were. I enjoyed it, but I think I was expecting a more Sookie type of drama. My bad, its clearly labelled as something very different. Still – I want to read more, and see where this series is taking us. Its a subdued, gentle start, not a drama filled, emotional read. I've genuinely no idea what's going to come next, that's part of the fun, and I enjoyed this beginning to a new series.
Stars: Four, a very interesting beginning
ARC supplied via Netgalley.