on 23 October 2014
The fact that this commentary is almost as long as the novel itself is for me a wonderful testament to both the creativity of Martin and the sheer depth of Doctor Attewell's scholarship.

I followed, and am still following, Attewell on his blog and when I heard that this was to be released I was very happy, then I promptly didn't remember to order the book until now!

To have all the chapter by chapter analysis' together in one place is invaluable, and I do indeed recommend that you read these along with the novel itself, spoilers apply naturally, but the extra insight you get into the actions of the characters is fascinating.

But for me the best thing is the historical analysis, not only do you gain a deeper knowledge of the World of Ice and Fire but you also gain invaluable insight into the history of our own world.

Highly recommended, indeed I would say essential!
on 23 July 2014
An excellent accompaniment to the first book, cannot wait until A Clash of Kings!