4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read
Good points raised about momentum and energy though I am none the wiser as to what time is. For me,time is a geometric ratio of two objects relative to a third object so calibrating movement. It is a dimension less number with no deep meaning which is why physicists struggle to define it.
Barry Wright. PHD (physics)

Barry Wright. PhD (physics)
Published 4 months ago by Dr. Barry Wright

2.0 out of 5 stars Er..is this the same Andrew Thomas as last time?
Published 5 months ago by Mr. Steve Lloyd

2.0 out of 5 stars Er..is this the same Andrew Thomas as last time?, 8 April 2014
Mr. Steve Lloyd (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hidden In Plain Sight 3: The secret of time (Kindle Edition)
Having given Hidden in Plain Sight 2 the most emphatic 5 star review I've ever given any book, I was most disappointed in this third title. The preface promised a book reading like a murder mystery with a final twist, but I didn't find any significant insights in it. I kept waiting for the punchline and then suddenly found myself at the end of the book. As far as I can tell, the final twist is that time is involved in the definition of energy (which is the time component of the momentum 4-vector) and therefore the universe would be very different without it - not really much of an original insight to my mind.

Most of the material that I hadn't already seen in many other books on the subject (time dilation, block universe etc) was either incomplete or just wrong. Two examples

- The reason why we can't remember the future is given that events that are outside the light cone in our past are space-, rather than time-like, But what about events that are inside our future light cone. Those ARE connectable to us via light rays, so why (in principle) can't we remember them? If the answer is "well, light can't go back in time", then isn't this just begging the question?

- He has a bit of a superior dig at a certain Dr Walker (a medical practitioner looking into the problems of immortality), saying "perhaps someone might introduce him to the concept of what we might call "developmental entropy"", later going on to say on the subject of why new life doesn't refute the second law of thermodynamics, "I do not believe the solution to this question which is generally presented [that the second law is applicable to closed systems, and a human being is not a closed system] is the correct solution", going on to say that babies have lower entropy than their parents because they have fewer degrees of freedom. Well - yes, in the same sense that a single atom in my body has lower entropy than all the rest of it. To do a meaningful comparison of the entropy of a baby and its parents, you should include that of all the carbon in the CO2 in the air, and the minerals in the soil, that are eventually going to go into that baby as an adult. I think it'll be fair to say that the entropy of the baby looks pretty high if you do that, and the conventional explanation (that its the low entropy of food and ultimately of the sun, that allows for the life of any one individual and for the evolution of life as a whole to exist) still looks pretty robust to me.

There is an interesting theme on the subject of why the present seems more important to humans (and indeed to any data processing entity, including computers) than the past. I would have liked to see more discussion of how the difference between the past and future arises from, say, the quantum mechanical arrow of time and if possible where that arrow of time might come from.

Bottom line: if you've paid 99p, you're probably getting your moneys worth. Just

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 15 May 2014
Barry Wright. PHD (physics)

Barry Wright. PhD (physics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Relativity explained brilliantly, 9 May 2014
For a non-specialist reader, this book, or at least its second half, contains the clearest explanation of Relativity that I have yet come across. So many 'popular' accounts are fine until they take refuge in mathematical intricacy just as they need to explain Einstein's equation. Thomas, on the other hand, takes us patiently through explanations of "c" (the 'cosmic speed'), the reciprocal relationships between space and time and between energy and mass, the nature of momentum, the need for a stationary object to compensate by having maximum momentum - "mc" - through Time, so that by now even a novice like myself could share that eureka moment of bringing another "c" into the equation as the rate at which energy continues to be saved through time - hence E=mc squared! Obviously there is more to it than that, but Thomas has the effect, on this reader at least, of encouraging and giving direction to further thought and research.

I can nevertheless understand the negative reviews that have appeared so far. His first two 'Hidden in Plain Sight' books were just as stimulating but managed to be tightly and logically constructed throughout, whereas the first half of HIPS3 is wildly digressive. You can tell Thomas is losing control of his material when he feels obliged to say "there is no place in physics for feelings"! Just a few pages earlier he has turned bereavement counsellor and tried to argue that we should feel more upbeat about death because, according to his favoured 'block universe' theory, all times are equally real, the time of death being no more real than any other event on our 'world line', which exists eternally. Hmm... At least he goes on to demonstrate that, while our psychological 'arrow of time' may be delusional, time certainly appears to have an inexorably forward motion in three mighty areas - thermodynamic, quantum mechanical and radiative. His affection for the possibility of time travel is also developed at great length through reference to some favourite Science Fiction treatments - but that's fiction!

Andrew Thomas is passionate about his subject and in this book has allowed that passion to divert him into some eccentric digressions. However, this same passion drives a determination to communicate ideas with the utmost clarity, and this is what, in my opinion, makes this book essential reading for seekers after the truth of the relative universe.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 24 April 2014
Having invested in the last two books of the series and also having enjoyed them, I took the plunge and purchased this book despite the singular bad review.

This book is a total anticlimax. I don't believe it says anything new but that isn't the reason for my disparaging vote. Books don't always have to say 'new' things. They do however have to challenge you, they have to inspire you to push further along, furthermore they should have enough stimulating content to keep you busy for a certain amount of time.

This book doesn't hit any of the above requirements.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun with lots of insight. Not mathematically challenging, 4 Jun 2014
Enjoyed this as a useful overview of time and relatively. Nothing frightening and quite a clear exposition. Well worth the read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the amateur, 19 May 2014
R. J. Backler (Sittingbourne, UK) - See all my reviews
Very well written and I have read Hidden In Plain Sign 1 and 2, plus I will definitely buy number 4, which is in the offing. As a non professional interested in this field, it was written at the level that most people could understand, in what is a complex subject.

2.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment after books 1 and 2, 14 May 2014
After the first two books I had hoped for some interesting and provocative insights on this topic which is in need of some illumination (the last book I read was the new one by Lee Smolin which was also very poor in my opinion).

The content was very repetitive with a lot being rehashed from the first two books and in the end really didn't come to any interesting conclusions with which the reader could either agree or disagree.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well thought out book., 9 Sep 2014
A. K. Love "Alan Keith Love" (Lisburn, UK) - See all my reviews
One of the more clearly set out books on time. Although I have reservations about his conclusions, this in no way detracts from a well constructed book.

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, 18 Sep 2014