Published 20 months ago by Hannah Fielding

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing story - what a pity
Published on 13 July 2012 by MultiMum

5.0 out of 5 stars A great romantic read and a wonderful testament to this prolific and much-loved writer, 22 Jan 2013
The heroine, Louise, has returned to her grandparents' home in Sicily, on a mission to lay their ashes to rest there. But first she must get permission from the local patronne, Caesar, which opens a whole can of worms, given that the last time she saw Caesar she was a rebellious teenager who slept with him, was rejected and then disappeared to secretly bear his child. As the story unfolds, we see Louise and Caesar trying to untangle the past, their secrets and their sense of duty to family and villagers, all the while wrestling with their ongoing attraction to each other.

Abundantly passionate, beautifully written, this book drew me in from the first paragraph. I especially like Penny's way of focusing on the emotional aspect of the story at all turns - coupled with her ability to smoothly move the reader between Louise's and Caesar's point of view, I felt a great sense of being in each character's mind and really understanding them.

My favourite scene in the book is the one in which the two lovers finally shed their defences and come together. I don't want to spoil the plot-line, but I will say that the power of the stormy weather wonderfully adds drama and passion to the sequence: `"One storm is over, but there is another, I think, that is possessing us both with equal ferocity of need - if you trust me with that need, with our love?"'

The ending left me with a warm, happy glow - just the happy ever after you crave in a book such as this, with loose ends neatly tied up and a lovely surprise twist.

In all, a great romantic read and a wonderful testament to this prolific and much-loved writer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing story - what a pity, 13 July 2012
MultiMum (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed Penny Jordan's nooks in the past, so was keen to read this, but found it very difficult to finish reading it, as far too many pages are devoted to psychoanalysis of previous behaviour. Whole chapters in fact. I like to know what people are feeling now, not why they now think they behaved in certain ways in the past. A certain amount of explanation of the H and h's back history together is fine, but in this book all the stuff about why people behaved as they did interfered with the flow of the story. I have never yet left a book half read, but this one was as close as it could be to being a first! At least I didn't buy it, but had it from the library....

5.0 out of 5 stars So very sad this is her last..., 20 April 2014
This is the last ever book from Penny Jordan for Harlequin Mills and Boon and as such, I wanted to save it for a special occasion - therefore, I waited until I was on holiday from the call centre to savour it, and this one did not disappoint at all.

This is the story of Louise, a former wild child who has had a bit of a holiday fling with Caesar in the past and paid the price for it. Not only does she feel that she has brought shame on her (admittedly, rather old-fashioned) family but she also feels that she has destroyed any chance of finding love again and has therefore lived a much quieter, sensible life since falling pregnant with her son during a one-night stand with Caesar. The story takes time to develop in this one, but it's so very romantic, and I just loved every minute of it. Consider the following: "She wanted to go back inside and escape the memories of what it had meant to lie naked in a man’s arms in the scented warmth of the Sicilian night." and this is juxtaposed with the everyday reality of many women's lives, as the paragraph continues: "Behind her the safety of her hotel room would no doubt be smelly with the reality of Ollie’s trainers,…" pp. 64-65 Publishers Weekly famously said about Jordan: “Women everywhere will find pieces of themselves in Jordan’s characters’, and there can be no doubt that that there is something of all of us in Louise's insecurities as she struggles to cope with both her feelings for her old lover and an adolescent son.

I so enjoyed this one - it really showed how Jordan developed as a writer as I really do think this final offering was one of her finest novels to date, with some lovely romantic writing and a truly believeable heroine (the hero isn't that believeable, but let's face it, it's a Mills and Boon; he's not going to be, is he? Louise says of him at one point: "Caesar cast a powerful spell around her that robbed her of the ability to think straight." p. 98. I've got to say, going into Tesco has that effect on me, and it's not always a pleasant feeling!) However, I loved this book. It really was worth the wait and I'm glad I saved it for a time when I could really concentrate on it and enjoy it (i.e. not during a night shift, which is where I do my normal Penny Jordan reading).

Definitely recommended for all Penny Jordan fans everywhere who will, like me, really miss her work.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, 1 Feb 2014
R. M. Turner (Derbyshire England) - See all my reviews
If it follows the other books I have read by Penny Jordan then it will be very interesting,not yet read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted, 25 Dec 2013
A nice easy read that can easily be read in one sitting. This is a story of rekindling love that was thought to be lost years later.

The characters are likeable and the story is given from both points of view. I just would have like to speed up the time it took the couple to acknowledge to each other their feelings. Overall though a nice light hearted read

5.0 out of 5 stars Squirrel Surrey, 18 Dec 2013
I always like reading books by Penny Jordan.
It was a nice easy read, one to settle down with a nice cup of coffee and chocolates

5.0 out of 5 stars A secret disgrace, 8 Dec 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Not what I was expecting when I read the first chapter. But the story slowly evolved, and very quickly it was hard to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars The secret disgrace, 7 Dec 2013
I really enjoyed this book, it made good holiday reading. It was Perfect for a quick read, and well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not normally my thing, 3 Dec 2013
But I thoroughly enjoyed the story. Made me think again about M&B books. Have been brought up to date, which I hadn't expected.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 25 Nov 2013
Nice little romance along the lines of pure escapism. Highly recommend this as a complete way to spend a bit of time to relax. Penny Jordan has never failed to give pleasure with her offerings.