Format: Audio DownloadChange
Price:£13.20

on 13 October 2013
I am always excited to see a new book out by Hilary Green. It amazes me that someone who writes such wonderful, gripping and exciting stories has trouble getting her work published when there are other authors out there who write terrible books and hit the bestseller list. After her last set of books which took place during the first world war, Hilary Green takes us back to world war two once again and this time we follow the escapades of two teenagers, half French, half British as they try to make their way back to England to join the fight for the allies. Along the way they are faced with much adversity, but also make friends and gain the respect of the resistance fighters for their bravery. Their mother also has a bit of a side story as she struggles to accept that the Germans occupying her country and her home are just ordinary people who dislike the war as much as she does. Like all the books I have read by Hilary Green this was tough to put down, and even better the ending left me thinking there could be a sequel. I for one would love at least one more story involving these wonderful characters. I know that their adventures and acts of bravery are far from over as there is still at least three more years left before V-E day by the end of the book. I can only hope there will be a sequel or two out of this story. I will be eagerly awaiting Hilary Green's next book, no matter what it's about.
on 14 December 2013
Having read several of this author's books, I eagerly awaited publication of Operation Kingfisher and I may say I was not disappointed. The author has the ability to grip the reader from page one until the last page. If I have one slight criticism it would be that the story could have gone on until the end of the war giving us insight into what Christine and Luke did when they got home, e.g. did she go to 64 Baker Street, did Luke join up etc. Perhaps the author has plans for a sequel; I certainly do hope so.
on 19 January 2014
Excellent but ended too quickly didn't think my kind of book not read anything by this author before but will do so again
on 19 May 2014
I hoped the storyline had the makings of something worthwhile. Unfortunately it did nothing for me as It seemed juvenile and lacked credibility. There a was lack of realism, action and drama in the exchanges between the Resistance and the Germans; there did nor seem to be any necessity for watchfulness or suspicion in a community which might have divided loyalties and I found the inclusion of the description of how the heroine managed belatedly to wash her undies a bit trying.
on 9 February 2014
I'm not entirely convinced life in occupied France was quite so straightforward for the Maquis, or the Germans were quite so readily defeated, a friend of my father's having herself been betrayed whilst serving as an SOE agent and subsequently murdered in Dachau. She was young and beautiful.

Nevertheless a good, exciting and uncomplicated fictional story set in a real world background which will give teenage readers an inkling of what the real-life Eliane and her extraordinarily heroic comrades went through, and maybe an inkling of how fortunate they are to be privileged enough to inherit the world they died to save.

The main characters are portrayed with understanding and sympathy, and I would like to know what became of Luke and Christine as their war developed if a sequel were to emerge.
on 15 March 2014
I first started reading Hilary's novels, as she is a personal friend but continued because I enjoyed them so much. I have now read them all. "Operation Kingfisher' didn't disappoint me. Her research of her subject matter is impeccable. I am a French specialist and have supervised the coursework of A.level students, who were interested in writing about aspects of life in France during World War 2. It is, therefore, a subject with which I am relatively familiar. Even so, I expanded my knowledge about the importance of the canal system and the lifestyle of the Maquis through this novel. I enjoyed the plot and appreciated Hilary's style of writing too.
on 1 February 2014
Not a bad read which held my attention all the way through. However it lacked that "edge of your seat" quality - at times I felt like I was reading an Enid Blyton "Famous Five" book.
on 1 March 2014
thoroughly absorbing read, it can totally ruin your sleep pattern if you're not careful. will surely keep an eye open for any more books by this author!!
on 1 February 2014
which kept me gripped, even though I had partly guessed the conclusion. I thought this book might appeal to older teens as much as adults.
on 26 February 2014
PROS:
It's a light hearted fast moving yarn about life in occupied France near the end of WWII. Never gets boring.
CONS:
Unbelievably corny with plastic characters (the pubescent heroine who introduces the concept of a spark plug to 20 hairy bottomed farmers is hilarious) and a predictable plot.

I won't be reading anything else by this authoress, but this book is probably fine for teenagers and people with a lot of time on their hands.