5.0 out of 5 stars Martina left the country - temporarily, I hope, 9 April 2014
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Everlasting (Audio CD)
As people who are familiar with my musical tastes know, I am a huge country music fan, but I like plenty of other music including R+B oldies, especially but not only Motown. The prospect of Martina McBride recording an album of R+B oldies was therefore an appealing one, and while the result wasn't quite what I expected, it gives me enormous pleasure. Whether it gives all of Martina's fans the same pleasure I cannot say, but other early reviews are encouraging.

This is not a collection of R+B songs interpreted in a country style; that sort of thing has been done before and it can work well, but it's not what this album is about. Martina clearly decided that if she was going to record a collection of R+B songs, she was going to find a producer who would know how to make an authentic R+B album that would bring her music to a wider audience. This album is the result. The album title, while appropriate, led me to expect that Everlasting love (written by Robert Knight, who had an American hit with it, but a #1 UK hit for Love affair) would be among the tracks. Maybe it was considered, or even recorded for possible inclusion, but it's not here. Plenty of other excellent songs are.

I was very familiar with 8 of the 12 songs here prior to buying and hearing this album, and the other four sound great. Maybe I've heard some of them before, but I'll check that out in due course. I might even end up buying the original versions if I haven't got them already.

This is a great collection of R+B oldies, performed as if Martina had always been singing this material, and I hope it brings her a whole lot of new fans. I also hope that Martina hasn't abandoned country music for good, but I get the impression that country radio stations are more interested in newer, younger artists, so I'll trust her judgement.

4.0 out of 5 stars Was Martina's country soul..., 7 April 2014
G. E. Harrison (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Everlasting (Audio CD)
I'm not particularly a country fan but it is evident that most women country singers have really great voices and, unlike pop singers, often have long careers that allow them to develop and progress. Martina McBride is such a singer and I was drawn to this CD by its ambition - she covers songs by the very best soul singers - Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Etta James - not to mention the covers of Elvis, Van Morrison and Diana Ross etc but could she pull it off? In her favour was that Don Was was in the producer's chair, with his experience in producing Bonnie Raitt's Grammy-winning `Nick of time', and the album was recorded in her own Blackbird Studios in Nashville, with her husband John engineering.

I regard Aretha as the greatest ever soul singer and I admit that I was skeptical of a cover of Dan Penn's great song "Do right woman, do right man" but Martina's version is good, a no-nonsense laid-back interpretation closer to Dan's own version than Aretha's. Phew! She repeats the trick with a stripped-down reading of Redding's "I've been loving you too long" and also a really authentic version of Cooke's "Bring it on home to me", where she shares the vocals with the very soulful Gavin DeGraw. Similarly one of my old soul favourites Etta James/Sugar Pie DeSanto's classic "In the basement" is recreated in funky fashion, with Martina dueting with Kelly Clarkson. Another Chess Records' blues classic Little Walter's "My babe" is also covered and is surprisingly good with a really nice swing, while Fred Neil's beautiful folky downbeat "Little bit of rain" is a gentle contrast to the other songs.

The other, probably more well known, tracks are also delivered very successfully with Martina singing wonderfully and Was producing music that is a good blend of the originals together with more modern sounds, as in Van Morrison's "Wild night". I found this album very professional and very enjoyable, and it made me think about the links between country and soul and their common southern roots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
a good CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Everlasting (Audio CD)
What can you say another superb album from Martina.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everlasting, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Everlasting (Audio CD)
I started really listening to Martina McBride about 2 years ago and started getting her Cd"s as I think she has a pure, strong and with emotion in her voice. I really like this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everlasting Vocalist!, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Everlasting (Audio CD)
Martina takes a temporary break from her country albums to release a covers album full of classic songs by the likes of Elvis, Van Morrison and Aretha Franklin. She also brought on the lengenday Don Was to produce the album.
Like all of Martina's music, her vocals are the standout centrepiece of the album. Her voice works perfectly for these songs, especially on Little Bit Of Rain, If You Don't Know Me By Now and To Know Him Is To Love Him.

Whether you're a long time Martina McBride fan or a casual listener you will love her take on these oldies.

Prime Tracks: Suspicious Minds, Little Bit Of Rain, If You Don't Know Me By Now, To Know Him Is To Love Him.

5.0 out of 5 stars great voice enough said, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Everlasting (Audio CD)
I only just received this CD and all ready I have listened to it 5 times, I love her Country CD's and this is not country CD ia any way shape or form, but it is well worth buying, just to listen to that voice, fav track ( hard to pick one, as they are all great ) but at this moment in time I would say is in the basement a duet with Kelly Clarkson ,

Everlasting