on 25 January 2014
A combination of age and arthritis had me believing growing my own veg was just a dream, well this little book has changed all that. Real practical, accessible advice to make it easier to grow your own. No more soil mutilation for me, I'll be tucking it up in a blanket and cossetting it, finally mastering the weeds and growing tasty veg throughout the year. Unlike the previous reviewer I don't have any of Charles other books so cannot compare them and yes there is a lot crammed into the book but this makes it real value for money. The advice is practical, encouraging and enthusiastic I recommend it highly.
on 26 January 2014
I don't have a garden ... yet! I bought this book as I intend to get back into gardening when I retire very soon. I have been reading it to educate myself and have found this book inspiring, I can't wait to get started! Many moons ago vegetable gardening was so much hard work, and like Susan arthritis now means I can't garden the way I used to. This book will be my veggie plot 'bible'.
on 16 February 2014
This is the latest offering from no-dig gardening guru Charles Dowding and is essentially an updated reprise of his earlier Veg Course in bite-size monthly chunks. Seeing part of Charles's philosophy is to do 'little and often', his Veg Journal sits well with this premise.

After a very brief introduction, we're straight into January and setting up for the coming growing season. February sets out the argument for the no-dig approach and March deals with the types of beds, plus their pros and cons. April sees the creation of our no-dig beds. We're also into the growing season proper at this point, with the growing of each crop introduced at the appropriate sowing time. Woven into the mix are various general information articles on weeds, pest control, crop rotation etc.

Each month is completed with a list of jobs, plus there are blank pages inserted at various points for the reader to keep their own notes and for the book to be in keeping with its title. As with most journals of this type, most growers will probably need more space, particularly if they want to keep detailed notes of harvests, or comparison of dig vs no-dig as Charles does. I'm considering using Post-it notes on these pages so that I'll have more space.

Overall Verdict

I'd say this is a book suitable for beginners who've just taken on a plot of their own, or for intermediate gardeners who are keen to try the no-dig approach for the first time. If you already have a copy of Organic Gardening: The Natural No-dig Way or his Vegetable Course, then you already have most of the information to hand.

This is well-produced and thought out hardback - the others I've mentioned are paperback - with plentiful illustrations and lots of tables detailing Charles's results. The move to a new publisher is suiting him well.
on 3 April 2014
Its ok thats about it, prefer his book the natural no dig way ,which has a lot more information in it
on 19 January 2015
Interesting read and ideas but short of detail relating to the different crop varieties and timings. The monthly "To Do" lists are handy but could be much more detailed.
The theme is more towards "no-dig" rather than "journal"
All in all this book is useful for those just starting veg gardening but other books will be needed as well.
on 15 December 2014
This book is a con. It is just the same material as Charles Dowding's Vegetable Course. Both the words and the pictures are identical, just rearranged a bit. If you already own the Vegetable Course then there is nothing new in this the Veg Journal. I am just glad I borrowed both books from the library before I parted with had earned cash for this "duplicate". It is a shame because Charles Dowding is a bit of a hero of mine and I believe he has a refreshing and useful approach to vegetable growing and I had expected better of him.
on 28 December 2014
This is a fab book by an author I was lucky enough to meet in person a few weeks ago (Nov 14). It gives great detail of growing different vegetables and lots of information on the "no-dig" system which I am fast becoming a convert to. This is a great book for vegetable growers and those with allotments.
on 12 July 2014
What can you say that represents sufficient praise for a man who has eliminated digging and most of the weeding from gardening and esp. growing your own veg? For those of us with the lazy gene, those who are slightly less strong than they were, he is our hero. Perhaps a statue in Trafalgar Square? a public holiday named after him - Dowding Day?
Oh well, calm down, perhaps just saying this is 'probably' the best gardening advice in the world and you should buy it before buying your first plug or seed is sufficient.
Recommended? Duh! of course!
on 7 February 2014
Excellent book, it is wonderful if you are starting a 'no dig ' veg patch, 100% recommend it. Down to earth, simple instructions, you just can't fail
on 1 April 2014
I wanted to learn more about the no dig gardening ways, I actually found more information on Youtube.
I have no real experience of gardening and with a big garden to deal with I didn't want to burn myself out digging and weeding.
This method seemed to be the best alternative so any information at this stage would be useful.
Hence I needed to know more about what to plant when to plant it and how to plant. Advice on how best to deal with pests etc.
Perhaps I was looking for too much from this book?