Format: DVD|Change

Will and Diane are incensed to discover Alicia and Cary's secret plans to quit Lockhart/Gardner - complete with various colleages and clients. They to set up their own firm? Friends are now foes. Knives are out.

Cue here for 22 more first-rate episodes, complete with a shock that had fans reeling.

Writers and cast are all on fine form - complete with guest stars it is good to see. As ever, the series includes interesting court cases, thought provoking ethical issues, a mixture of lighthearted moments and matters positively chilling (phone-tapping included). Duplicity is rife, people jostling for positions, ever seeking ways of bringing others down. As Illinois Governor, Peter is not the only one displaying ruthlessness (in some instances most pleasingly, as when the State Attorney pushes his luck). Never underestimate Diane (Christine Baranski brilliant). Actually I confess to being on her side, the actions by Alicia and Cary surely a betrayal. Of course I like those two also. With characters far from being one-dimensional, viewers will often have their loyalties tested. Only when disaster strikes are doubts thrust aside, the need urgent to have tissues handy.

Do not miss the fun bonus on Disc 3 (some of the antics in it may surprise). Especially interesting are the extra features on Disc 4 - including revelations of key scenes not as originally intended, impact greater in consequence.

As Alicia, struggling to combine career and home life, Julianna Margulies remains excellent - so much conveyed with barely a gesture. What a treat for viewers she is in such good company - in every direction so much to impress.

In short, the series continues to go from strength to strength, all involved seemingly in their element.

One of television's best.
VINE VOICEon 7 September 2014
(Review based on Uk's More 4 broadcast)

Yet again another great series following the same formula but not loosing its interest or feeling. The backbone to the quality of this series is its interesting legal cases, interesting characters and the balance of how things are used and brought together.

The basic premise of the series goes back to first series as Alisha Florrick, The Good Wife, sticks with her politician husband after a scandalous revelation. She needs to make ends meet and return to work as a lawyer. She's end up in an interesting position of being employed with Will Gardner her one time would be ex. There's always plenty going on with the characters in the firm, the prosecution department, love tensions, office politics and real politics. As I say the balance is very good.

The series leave's off from the last one where things have been turned round a bit as Alicia and Cary's new start up firm battles to establish itself and battles their old firm. There's some big events too shake things up further in this series.

The cast is great and along with the excellent main stars we have some more from the excellent Nathan Lane, Michael J Fox, Carrie Preston and Zach Grenier with the writers using their palate of characters well so as not to over use them; leaving us wanting more.

I would really recommend this series. I imagine you could jump straight into this series and pick things up but may be better starting with the first one so you can enjoy them all and appreciate whats been going on from the start. I've given all five series 5 stars so don't feel you have to make do with lower quality early on.
on 8 May 2014
I love this show. The characters have become more developed and there are events of pure laugh out loud genius. Eli Gold is my favourite- and he is now being better used. You can watch each episode as a standalone because each one revolves around a particular case,but when you get involved with the characters, you don't want to miss a single nuance of Alicia and Will's relationship. I would highly recommend it.
on 19 October 2014
I just love this series, I truly am addicted and I was very glad to order it through amazon.uk (I live in Germany, season 5 will not be available here for another year). It is a very good mix of past (scenes of Alicia and Will, e.g) and present/future (the new law firm getting into business). My personal favourite is still season 3, however, this one also is a must.
on 6 May 2015
I watched "The Good Wife" on Netflix (series 1-4) first and had to buy this series 5 to catch up before watching series 6 on TV. This is such a great series - great scripts, great acting and great development of characters - that I find it hard to believe that series 5 is as good, if not better, than the earlier series. By watching on DVD I had the benefit of the "behind the scenes" discussions and rationale behind the main episodes involving Will (I say no more to avoid spoiling the episodes) - superb series. Worth all the plaudits it gets - and as a lawyer, sadly so real with its depictions of law firm politics and "types." As I write this, series 6 is on More 4 but I think I prefer the ability to "glut" out on 3 episodes at a time on Netflix or DVD! Buy this!
on 13 June 2014
Just goes on getting better and better, amazingly good viewing, never fails to grip and interest. Great cast and well written.
on 5 October 2014
The first episode is a little boring and I thought, OK its jumped the shark. Then episode 2 immediately picks up speed and every episode after that shines. In season 5, The Good Wife goes from being a great drama to to an excellent one. The writers of this show have really given these fine actors a chance to show off and sparkle. These are episodes that you can watch again and again, with some seriously epic performances, one liners and performances. IMHO it peaks a few episodes away from the cliff hanger, but that was dictated by the decision of a certain cast member who seems to have forgotten about his years of obscurity. My one gripe? It needs a blu ray release.
on 20 November 2014
Found this series by accident a few weeks ago and it is so addictive. Started at season 1 and now half way through 5. It just gets better and better. Marathon sessions at the weekend and 4 episodes nightly. Wish it would end so I can get things done!
on 28 January 2016
For me this is a season that has so many spoilers that I can't give you a descend run down without revealing what happens in this season. I can tell you that there is tears, laughs and "Oh no" moments through out this entire show. I have to say the characters haven't been stronger than they are in this great drama.

I recommend wine and tissues for this one as we say goodbye to one of the main characters. Its going to test your limits also. Its going to make you either like Alicia more or have you siding with her husband. There seems to be a hard upcoming new season for the character Kerry. Klinda is going to go through the wringer too. I can't say enough good things about this show. I highly recommend it or get the box set for season 1-6.
on 18 April 2014
Not many shows make it to their 5th season - never mind doing so while still keeping its viewers entertained and constantly "on tender hooks". The Good Wife is still going strong.