4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining quick read, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Veritas (Kindle Edition)
Top notch New York sous chef, Lauren Murphy is taking a seventeen day working vacation aboard a luxurious private yacht, the Veritas. Seventeen days of sailing around the Virgin Islands is just the break Lauren needs. Lauren is in her element, she has total responsibility for her own galley and all the menus.

When Lauren first meets Grey Wells, captain of the Veritas, she just can't make her out. Grey's manner is sharp and brusque one minute, wary and friendly the next. Lauren just can't fathom out what she could have done to upset Grey or make her distant and remote. But, one thing Lauren does know, she is determined to get to know Grey better.

Lauren has no way of knowing that her working vacation will change both of their lives forever.

A nice and comfortable easy read, perfect for the beach or to curl up indoors with. I liked the two fully developed main characters, Lauren and Grey. They are so obviously made for each other and it's a pleasure to watch their friendship grow.

I don't want to add in any spoilers, so I won't go into the actual story in any more detail. This is the second book I've read and enjoyed from MJ Duncan.

Both leading characters are multi-faceted and fully developed. The story is layered and more than a simple girl meets girl romance. There is some angst along the way, true love is rarely smooth sailing completely. There are some wonderful secondary characters integrated into the story. Including three young boys and their parents enjoying their cruise. The antics they get up to adds another nice dimension.

I loved the scenic descriptions of the beauty of the Caribbean. MJ Duncan has the knack of showing the reader the story rather than simply telling telling the story. I was easily able imagine myself on the Veritas sailing around without a care.

There are a few typos and errors, nothing that pulled me out of the story though. However, I do wish the author would stop using the characters hair color and use their actual names. A minor point I know, but one I find rather irritating. Describing a character once should be enough for any reader to be able to visualize them.

I am looking forward to more from MJ Duncan. This is her second book and I can see the improvement in her writing and storytelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Veritas (Kindle Edition)
This book has it all, heartbreak, friendship and love. This story is fantastic, I couldn't put it down and read it from cover to cover in one go. It's about two people who arnt looking for love but find it through a growing friendship. The characters are complete opposites to each other, but a growing attraction helps them to understand each other and breaks down barriers. A very gentle story, full of passion and love,one you. will want to read again

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it a lot..., 5 May 2014
This review is from: Veritas (Kindle Edition)
This was a pretty enjoyable read. Very much just a romance, but then that's not a bad thing when you prefer that style, and I do.

It took me a little while to warm to the characters, but once I did I was sad to see them go when I'd finished the book. They were both interesting, and different enough from each other to understand their motivations and the attraction between them. I 'got' why they were into each other and felt invested in the relationship.

There was a sensitive theme in the book, but Grey didn't get too bogged down in angst, which I was grateful for. Given the circumstances of her past it wouldn't have surprised me for this to have played a larger part, and been an even bigger obstacle to the romance. It felt fairly naturally dealt with to me, however, and the tenderness shown to Grey by Lauren - and the author - really worked. There were definitely a few little melty-heart moments that I adored.

As the book did kind of plodge slowly to its final destination, I didn't give this the full 5 stars despite the fact it pretty much had everything in it I like in a romance - good characters, believable dialog, a naturally unfolding development of feelings, and a good amount of well written sex scenes. I just feel the author could have taken a few different turns, and cut down on some of the repetitiveness, then it would have been a bit more of a well rounded ride. It needed something more dynamic to happen I think, just to add an extra dimension.

Still, I enjoyed the journey more than expected. It didn't blow me away but it did leave me smiling and feeling like I'd invested my time pretty well

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Veritas (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved this book from start to finish, I completely fell in love with the characters. MJ Duncan knows how to write amazing characters that you instantly feel like you've known you're whole life and desperately want to be their friends or more. I literally couldn't put this book down and wish work didn't have to get in the way. I would love to see a continuation of their story but if not I eagerly await yet another fantastic novel from Miss MJ Duncan, thank you for yet another fabulous book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read for ages, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Veritas (Kindle Edition)
I read a book every couple of weeks on average, and this stands head and shoulders above everything I have read this year. I would class as Radclyffe quality and maybe a little better. Go girl!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Veritas (Kindle Edition)
Great story very sensual and the characters believable, would read this again and recommend. just loved it. thank you MJ Duncan

Veritas