5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Wateringly Impressive! Gaming is amazing.
Published 11 months ago by Daviddewisphotography

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing product.
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:40 Mins
I had high hopes for this monitor, unfortunately I have to agree with the first review.

I was exactly the target audience a professional that needed accurate colour and a gamer. The compromise to target both with an "IPS like" panel instead of a true IPS panel is a horrible brightness inconsistency which is,...
Published 3 months ago by arron walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Wateringly Impressive! Gaming is amazing., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Asus PB287Q 28 inch Widescreen Ultra HD 4K LED Monitor (100M:1, 300 cd/m2, 3840 x 2160, 1ms, DP/HDMI/MHL) (Accessory)
4k need to be seen to be believed. It is not the same as 1080p with high levels of Anti aliasing or super-sampling. That argument is just stupid. The same way that a 480p video with MSAA or SSAA wont look anything like 1080p. This leaves reviewers with the problem of how to get across how nice the monitor looks when most people have 1080p screens so cant see 4K content. All i can say is that the monitor looks great, Bezel and all. The stand can be set any which way with full swivel and tilt with portrait mode supported. If that still isn't good enough for you, it has the option of VESA mounting so you can buy your own stand. As far as the TN panel goes, its amazing. Contrast isn't going to match an IPS panel, but colours (10bit panel), vibrancy the 1ms refresh time make up for this. Could not recommend this enough.
NOTE: you really do need a good GPU or 2 to run games on this monitor at 2160p (4k) I have Xfire R9 290s. Xfire averages 60fps with single GPU averages 30fps. You DO NOT need Anti-Aliasing at 4K unless your pixel peeping. If you can afford the extra performance, then knock yourself out (up until 2x or 4x MSAA) but don't waste performance on AA if it means losing out somewhere else.

4.0 out of 5 stars A 28 inch retina display for your mac. 4k goodness for the rest of us, 9 Feb. 2015
As a 4k monitor at good value this screen delivers everything you would expect.
The screen is matte and colour quality is very good. Don't expect NEC or Apple level colour accuracy with this, but with a little calibration the results are excellent.
The stand is good and heavy and keeps the display well anchored. The port access at the back however is irritatingly recessed, leading to the dreaded "reach in and scrape around" approach to plugging in cables.
The menu system is on screen using buttons hidden around the back of the monitor. It's a little fiddly to use because the buttons never line up with the menu items - leading you to count in from the edge or guess. Luckily I don't use these often.

Confirmed working in OS X Yosemite with Late 2013 Macbook Pro retina 13" and Late 2013 quad core Mac Pro with D300s.
Install SwitchResX to run this display in 1080p with hiDPI to have a 28 inch retina display.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, 2 Feb. 2015
If I buy any tech worth more than a couple of hundred pounds I'll always do a lot of comparative work to make sure that I get the best deal. In addition to ASUS I compared similar products from LG, Samsung, Phillips and BenQ. I wanted something that was good for work and for playing games. For my needs this monitor offered the best balance.

Standout points:
1. Solid base and stand; everything clicks and screws together well (no creaks or fiddly bits of plastic that might snap off).

2. After a little bit of playing around with settings it was set up. I'll probably play around with some of the smaller settings later but that would only be tweaking.

3. The screen is very good to look at, it has a matt finish and it looks cool and professional.

4. Outlook and Excel/Word side by side, plenty of space.

5. I told my wife I needed it for work (which I do) but I didn't tell her that I had also bought Elite Dangerous (she wouldn't understand why). Elite looks great and I've now a renewed interest in playing World of Tanks.

6. Some argue the loss of vertical height is too big a price to pay. For me there is more than enough vertical height to fill your vision. On the horizontal, I like consciously moving my eyes to take in what is displayed. It makes you feel that the game is going on around you as well as in front of you.

7. Internal speakers are sufficient nothing more. I suppose if you're going to drop £350 on a monitor then you can afford to get a half decent set of external speakers. I have some Harmon Kardon Sound sticks and they do the job.

8. I suppose this Asus is the more sober choice over a 27" BenQ but I'm a 46 year old, white collar professional. This is why when I buy things like wireless speakers or headphones I buy Bose and VModa rather than Jawbone and Dr Dre.

So I'm more than happy with the Asus, looking forward to using it and learning how to play Elite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy go for it!!, 28 Aug. 2014
Awesome monitor just make sure you use display-port and change it in the menus to the 60hz version. I didn't you had to select it manually. near zero lag with d-port!!! hdmi was quite a bit of input lag though so I recomend getting a gpu with displayport I am going through min d-port to the monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Awesome for movies and gaming., 2 Feb. 2014
I cannot overstate how much immersion 21:9 screens add to both gaming and movies, I'm primarily a gamer and have to say once you've used a 21:9 for a FPS or similar you will never want to go back, I have a 65" inch Sony TV in the living room but I much prefer playing on this, something about the ratio just makes the experiance so natural, relaxing and immersive. I've tried most of the 21:9's and this and the LG 93 are my favourite, this wins out due to adjustablity of screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, 2 April 2014
Extremely happy with this monitor . At first I had to get use to the 21:9 aspect ratio but now it's so pleasing on the eye . It was tough to select a good 29 inch ips monitor but this one won by some great distance at the end. Need a 29 inch ips monitor with DP, designed for gaming and video editing that has the pivot feature, look no further !

4.0 out of 5 stars A good monitor for the price, though a bit fiddly, 5 Dec. 2014
The good:
Price
4k @ 60hz is incredibly. For professional work where screen real-estate is desired (i.e Programming), 4k is amazing.
Comes with some neat features (Not needed Picture-in-Picture but it's there and I like that).

The bad:
Requires some willingness to configure. It defaults to DP 1.1 instead of DP 1.2, which means by default it's limited to 30hz instead of the 60hz it can achieve with DP 1.2. Also defaults to a display mode that tries to modify the image coming from your PC, more like a TV does. These need changing by you before the monitor can really shine.
The buttons are awkwardly placed, making navigating the menus to make those changes fiddly.
TN screen isn't very noticeable, but is enough to make this unsuitable for professional colour work.

But for the price, these are minor issues (except the TN screen, which may be a deal breaker for a certain subset of people) and I can happily recommend this monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slick bit of kit, 3 Aug. 2014
I replaced two monitors with this single monitor and I was amazed at the amount of desk landscape I got back. It is a truly beautiful bit of kit. Screen quality is amazing. When I opened a document in MS Word - it opened with three pages side-by-side. My friend and I looked at and uttered the word "WOW" because it was a truly impressive sight. You will not be disappointed. A very reasonable price as well.

My only minuscule gripe is that I felt that the for the width of the screen it should have been taller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good monitor upgrade, hope the transformer lives long! 3.5 star, 22 Mar. 2015
This 28" monitor arrived in a strong box not as bulky as the 27" Samsungs. While putting the Asus monitor together, the plastic feels solid and of good quality. Once the stand connected (don't overtighten by hand, use a driver for final tightening) the monitor feels sturdy enough. No cellophane-sweet-wrapper crackles when adjusting the angle/tilt/height. Just a silent smooth movement with good friction in all axes. Wires plug in with a nice reassuring 'thud'.

When connected and switched on: no wonder the pc pro guys mistook it for IPS. 10-bit colours are amazingly natural and needed very little adjustment. The monitor is gamma perfect and thus you are not allowed to adjust it. Only colour saturation, temp, skin tone, vivid-pixel, asus-splendid, and intensity are configurable. Photos are beautiful to look at even the old jpegs of my 10 year-old camera. Banding does appear in some dark areas on the screen (esp blue) but I believe this a limitation of the video card which can only output 8-bit per channel. Video suffers from LCD-syndrome (blocky and grainy in parts) but only when maximized. Windowed video looks perfect in its native format. Perhaps this 4k monitor needs a 4k source video to show its true worth. Text and icons on my computer desktop look really small and even when adjusted DPI to 150% some programs launch with tiny menus. Scrolling web pages and pdfs is still comfortable owing to the quick response of this monitor although I doubt it is a genuine 1ms. Rapidly scrolling text lags slightly in a very similar fashion to my old 5ms HP even when the Asus is overclocked (tracefree at 100% default is 60%).

4k games are eye-watering even at 30Hz with my mediocre GTX 750ti (don't have DP yet), and trust me anti-aliasing is a NON-issue at 3840x2160. Switch AA off completely and you'll thank me for the bonus frame rate. Night gaming at 30Hz should have been enjoyable but for some reason looks choppy, a paradox because our eyes are supposed to smooth out frame rates in the dark (hence hollywood film shot at 24-25Hz). Turns out the culprit is Asus pulse width modulation (PWM) of backlight brightness: meaning the LEDs pulsate to reduce brightness, the last thing a gamer needs. As if Asus engineers have never seen the.. lets call it.. TV-behind-a-fan effect (hence loses 1 star). Later after much tweaking and tinkering I decided to run this monitor at 2560x1600 which still looks fabulous. The monitor is still well calibrated at this penultimate resolution and text and icons are easily visible even when windows DPI is 100% albeit very slightly fuzzy. This fuzziness you only notice when you have been using native resolution for some time. At 2560x1600 games now run at 60Hz and still don't need AA except maybe low-FXAA. The frame rates improve due to this lower res and the flickering due to PWM-LED is almost gone when gaming in the dark. Don't buy this monitor if you are thinking of utilizing the 1920x1080 since this resolution I found to be non-gamma-calibrated and blacks became light grey. Lastly although the viewable area stops a couple mm short of the rim, it does measure exactly 28".

With the aggressive marketing strategies of the modern electronics industry, it is important to point out certain planned obsolescence features. In this monitor I could see very little PO. The buttons are accessed from behind and are relatively high, so have to be pinched with index and thumb to be pressed. This is feels awkward at first, and introduces some flexing and tilting of the panel which may wear the tilt friction joints. In contrast my old monitor buttons are underneath the panel allowing the weight of the panel to counteract all pressing force. On the PB287Q, the printed dots on the front will tell you when your thumb and hence finger are in the right place. These painted dots will eventually be rubbed out unless you refrain from using your thumb as guide. But the my main PO concern is the transformer (power supply) which is built into the main monitor body unlike some Samsung monitors. This means if the transformer ages or malfunctions and starts to whine, you have no option but replacing the whole monitor , rather than just the power supply (loses half a star)

To sum up this is a brilliant investment for those wishing to upgrade their displays from the low 20" inch range. Its 10-bit IPS-like color reproduction is excellent and difficult ot distinguish from IPS with a bonus quicker response time. Blacks are nice and dark, whites are solid paper white. Games look fantastic. Bear in mind if you are upgrading from 23-24", then 28" 4k only just cuts it. Remember the pixel density is very high and tends to make everything look quite small for a 28" display. Some people don't want to see the pixels, and if you are like this then the pb287q is yours. If on the other hand you don't mind a slightly larger pixel grid maybe you should wait the extra 6 months or pay £100-150 more and get a 32" 4k.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 19 Jan. 2015
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and I love it!

Admittedly I haven't done a full spec-test of it so I'm only commenting from my 'casual' exposure to the device. It's also worth mentioning that this is my first 21:9 monitor.

It was really easy to put together and feels solidly positioned on my desk. I wasn't expecting it to come with display cables but it did. Included was HDMI, DVI, DP and mDP, which is about £50 worth of cables so I was obviously happy with that.

My reasons for getting this monitor specifically were;
1. It's a better resolution than my previous one.
2. I wanted to try out 21:9 (I'll explain that in a bit).
3. It has a fairly small bezel.
4. It's not ridiculously expensive.
5. My previous experience with ASUS products is positive.

1. My previous monitor was 1280x1024 and I fancied an upgrade - pretty much all there is to say on that one.

2. I use Windows 8.1 and when I'm not gaming, I do a lot of side-by-side window work. Like for example, right now I'm writing this review on a window to the right whilst I have another window to the left. This was workable on my previous monitors but it's perfect using 21:9. It's like having two monitors without the fuss. I also had a play with 'docking' some 'apps' and you can fit four in which I believe is the maximum, and there is loads of room for adjusting.

3. If you're all about small bezels then this one isn't bad. It's not the smallest but definitely better than most. At a guess; 14mm top and sides, 20mm bottom. The casing of the screen has a matte finish which is also a bonus.

4. I was looking at the similar LG monitors but they're more expensive (or they were when I looked) and also my history of LG products is negative to put it simply. This one sat within my comfortable price brackets and now that I've got it I can honestly say that it's worth the money, especially as it came with those cables.

5. Not much to say about ASUS - I have no cause for concern regarding their products.

Summary
Now that I've tried 21:9 I probably won't go back. I was reluctant to press the 'buy' button for this monitor but I'm glad I did.