5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Wateringly Impressive! Gaming is amazing.
Published 1 month ago by Daviddewisphotography

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings
To summarise the long post below I would say for playing games this is an excellent buy, for other purposes it is more of a mixed picture.
Published 1 month ago by eyeglass

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Wateringly Impressive! Gaming is amazing., 11 July 2014
This review is from: Asus PB287Q 28 inch Widescreen Ultra HD 4K LED Monitor (100M:1, 300 cd/m2, 3480 x 2160, 1ms, DP/HDMI/MHL) (Accessory)
4k need to be seen to be believed. It is not the same as 1080p with high levels of Anti aliasing or super-sampling. That argument is just stupid. The same way that a 480p video with MSAA or SSAA wont look anything like 1080p. This leaves reviewers with the problem of how to get across how nice the monitor looks when most people have 1080p screens so cant see 4K content. All i can say is that the monitor looks great, Bezel and all. The stand can be set any which way with full swivel and tilt with portrait mode supported. If that still isn't good enough for you, it has the option of VESA mounting so you can buy your own stand. As far as the TN panel goes, its amazing. Contrast isn't going to match an IPS panel, but colours (10bit panel), vibrancy the 1ms refresh time make up for this. Could not recommend this enough.
NOTE: you really do need a good GPU or 2 to run games on this monitor at 2160p (4k) I have Xfire R9 290s. Xfire averages 60fps with single GPU averages 30fps. You DO NOT need Anti-Aliasing at 4K unless your pixel peeping. If you can afford the extra performance, then knock yourself out (up until 2x or 4x MSAA) but don't waste performance on AA if it means losing out somewhere else.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, 10 July 2014
I previously had two 22’ monitors side by side, each with a resolution of 1920 by 1080 but I was looking to move to a single monitor for space reasons and saw this 4K monitor at an incredibly low price. This now gives me more than twice the pixel area across than I had before at 3840 by 2160. This though is in a 28’ screen area, so smaller than my previous two physically and this is where the problems come in.
When you first turn it on everything is so incredibly small on the screen you simply cannot work with it. Windows itself is quite good in resolving this as you can scale the desktop size where by all Windows icons, buttons and text are readable. The problem is other programs that use fixed sized fonts, they become very tricky to use. Browsing is not bad as you can zoom the page contents but the address bar at the top and the icons stay very small (I use Chrome). I make music using Cubase and all the instruments and text on screen are barely readable. Hopefully in the future developers will take into account higher resolution monitors but at the moment a lot of programs are difficult if not impossible to use on this screen. I have solved this problem to a degree by using the magnifier tool in Windows. I have it set to come on with a mouse click and off with another and that works well as I can see the whole picture but zoom into areas when I want but still it is a shame to have to do this.
The actual quality of the picture is impressive although as others have mentioned it does not use the nicer IPS panel but benefits instead from a very fast response time – great for games. I should say when I first turned it on I was not that impressed with the display but after tweaking the settings and using the Windows colour wizard I now have it looking very nice, the best looking screen I have ever used.
The controls are awful to use but then they tend to be on monitors, you have to reach round the back and blindly try to select the correct option. The worst part is the power button is lined up along with all the controls so until I got used to it I kept accidently switching it off – very frustrating!
Now where this monitor really excels is playing games. You do need a very good graphics card though. I have a GeForce 780 which works well but anything less you would struggle and a Titan would be preferable. When you think about it there are a huge number of pixels to push around 3840 * 2160 * 32 bit per pixel = about 32 MB to move onto the screen 60 times a second!
Importantly to be able to get 60Hz at full resolution you need to use the DisplayPort 1.2 connector, so check your graphics card supports it. My understanding is it is used in a clever way to allow such a high resolution and refresh rate. Also to enable it you need to both turn on the DisplayPort in the monitor settings and also select 60Hz.
Running Battlefield 4 in full resolution at 60Hz is astonishing, it is absolutely amazing! This is the reason I have not sent back the monitor, this and hoping that programs will be better able to support it in the future.
Finally there are a few issues with these monitors which I think are related to the DisplayPort. When the monitor switches off in response to your power settings it does not always come back on again. Sometimes you have to switch it off and on again and sometimes you actually have to pull the power out and back in. Other times it comes on but half the screen is missing and other times all your open windows are reduced to tiny ones up in the corner. Now and again it comes on perfectly but really this is an area that needs fixing.
So to conclude: this monitor looks very impressive and playing games is amazing (if you have a good enough graphics card) but the down side is that often things are too small on screen to see and a lot of programs have no way of adjusting this. This may change in the future.
I have had this monitor for a week now and been through a range of emotions from buyer’s remorse to amazement at the quality and wanting to show it off to everyone. If you get this be prepared for the downsides though.

3.0 out of 5 stars I have been using 1440 Asus ips for the past year & I have to say out the box the Color this TP panel produced was beautiful. Wh, 8 Aug 2014
iJason (Yeovil England) - See all my reviews
It's only fair that I am completely honest about this review so lets start with why I have given it 3 Stars . Well the first problem I had with this monitor was the backlight had an issue , I could see a massive bright white wavy line on the screen on white backgrounds ! Not a massive issue but once you notice it you see it all the time.

I have been using 1440 Asus ips for the past year & I have to say out the box the Color this TP panel produced was beautiful . When playing games at 4K is when this monitor comes a live , I am without doubt buying another one as soon as Amazon get them in stock and hopefully this time I wont have the light bleed problem..... I have been playing BF4 on ultra settings this past week and I have got more kills than I have ever got on 1080p or 1440 Res , I can';t express in words how much detail you see on a 4k screen but its amazing , Once you go 4K you won't go back. With the likes of the new 4K screen on the market and them being priced at 500 mark I think everyone should buy one if your a gamer , I have got 290x lighting and it plays all the top games with ease . Not always 60 FPS but as long as it doesn't go below 30 Fps you don't notice any lag.......

5.0 out of 5 stars WoW I have been blind..., 27 Jun 2014
Got this beauty a few days ago, not from Amazon this time I must say, it's simply the best monitor I've every owned :) use this for my pc and xbox one, plus my 4k blue ray player, gaming on pc is stunning at 4k, one slight problem menu text tends to be 1080 in old games so can be a bit small, so in games like this I drop down to 2500 x 1600 or something like that ;) in xbox one games, I was not expecting much difference but wow the games come to life on this screen, I thought I was imaging it, So I compared against my old trusty 1080p screen, like night and day :) films in 4k well the trailers and demo's are jaw dropping :) WORTH EVERY PENNY!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good entry level 4K monitor, 26 Jun 2014
Picture quality / compatiblity is good, only thing you will find is that scaling in windows is not consistent,
for example in Youtube everything scales properly except for the play / volume controls which become ridiculously small,
I suppose this will be fixed eventually ( hopefully they dont expect us to upgrade to windows 9 for that )
No backlight bleeding at all on this monitor and white uniformity is fine.

Downsides - TN panel, the colour initially looked a little washed out to me although it seems approximately accurate
colour of identical icons varies slightly depending on which area of the screen it is located so you may notice the TN effect without even moving your head.

For me it causes slight eye fatigue so after a couple hours use I really want to take a break for a while,
which doesn't happen with previous screens I've had. The good side though is it has no PWM flicker so its not
too uncomfortable. The fatigue might reduce if you view it from 3 ft +, text is still readable at that distance.

Also it should be mentioned that we pay the equivalent of $300 more than the americans do for this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure who exactly this is targeting. Decent enough though., 4 Jun 2014
This is a bit of a strange one and a bit unfocused IMO.

Firstly, it needs massive horsepower to run games well in 4k, I have an Ivybridge Extreme and GTX780ti SLI and even then a game like crysis 3 still only runs around 30 on Very High (Not extreme) settings.

The idea of turning down graphical settings to increase resolution just seems like a false economy to me, games just look very sharp without the detail you would expect leaving the games looking likes something from 2004 with an almost unreal level of sharpness to the image which I think actually spoils the immersion.

The panel is decent for gaming though with a fast 1ms response time and very low input lag, I could not discern any delay from either. The thing that lets this monitor down for me is the panel quality. I also have the PQ321Q and I know this is not a fair comparison but the difference is night and day, once you've seen 4k on a panel like IGZO or I imagine IPS you'll realise you're only getting one side of the story so to speak.

Combine 4k with a good quality panel and it really is a treat, personally I would wait for some of the newer panels due out later this year that share similar tech as the PQ without the horrendous price tag.

It's cheap for a 4k, and it's response is decent but you get what you pay for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Such resolution, much pixels, wow., 2 July 2014
After gaming on this monitor for 6 hours straight, I went outside and deemed the real world wanting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 29 May 2014
[...]
Watch this and you will understand why I like it so much.
Be aware:
You need a beast of a PC to run games efficiently on this display.