4.0 out of 5 stars Great story!
Read as a digital advance reading copy

Okay where do I start with this one!

If you are familiar with my blog then you will know that I am huge fan of the dystopian genre, I love books set in a disturbing future, I like an unseen threat, I like a little romance and I also like a trilogy.

This book has most of those things!

Set in...
Published 1 month ago by hross42877

2.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing but lost interest
*I received a copy of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Sky Pony Press and Kate Ormand*

Sia has only 15 days left to live.
The world has been divided into sectors and now that people deemed to be special are being moved to the New World those left behind are being killed by cyborgs.

I enjoyed the first half of...
Published 9 days ago by Jess Watkins (A Book Addict's ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, 3 Jun 2014
Read as a digital advance reading copy

Okay where do I start with this one!

This book has most of those things!

Set in the future, where people are living in sectors, time is running out for Sia and her parents, in 15 days she will die and the clock is ticking.

The residents of the sector live in terror of this day coming, surrounded by thick walls they hide away, thinking they can lie low, hidden away from the terror they know will be coming when the clock runs out.

The lucky ones are the families who have been deemed useful enough to go the new world, where they live comfortably not like in sectors where people rob each other for food and a curfew keeps everybody at bay.

Sia has a list of things she wants to do before she dies and she goes about checking them off. Along the way she meets Mace, despite not trusting him at first they set off on a journey to survive along with those close to them, to fight back against what is coming.

Whats coming is cyborgs and they are the cause of this book being extremely bloody in places - the cyborgs kind of remind me of a cross between the Terminator as portrayed by Arnold Schwarzennegger and the latest incarnation of the cylons in Battlestar Galactica, they are really quite terrifying.

I think the most terrifying thing of all is knowing that something like that is coming to kill you and there is nothing you can do about it apart from try and hide, which as you read on you will discover that ain't gonna happen!

Also this book shows how people behave when faced with an imminent threat - fight or flight? Unfortunately some people choose the flight option which is helped along by the continuous showings of other sectors being destroyed on the television.

I wont say anymore as I will spoil the read for you!

The only thing I would note is that I would like to know about how this came to be in the first place, a back story. What happened to the world to make people live like this? Could this be something we learn of in the future?

Now as I mentioned above I like a trilogy, the end of this book I feel sets it up for another journey in to this world.

There will be comparisons against other dystopian novels but I think this is a really good book, I certainly enjoyed reading it. Its available from the 3rd June 2014.

Awarded 4 out of 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dark Days (Hardcover)
'Dark Days' is a debut YA, dystopian novel by talented author, Kate Ormand. Set in a hostile future, 'Dark Days' follows Sia, a feisty teenage girl, who lives in a town surrounded by steel fences. In just fifteen days time, a cyborg army will be sent from The New World to destroy Sia and everyone she knows. There's nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. Sia has to stay and watch the town's digital clock count down to her death.

First of all, I read the majority of this book in a day because I couldn't stop (which is just not something that tends to happen to me). Ormand's writing is seamless and perfectly paced. The action scenes in this novel amazed me - they were so well executed, and never felt tedious or confused. The world depicted in the novel was also outstanding. It felt very real and I could easily visualise the environment and setting.

But the characters stole the show! Sia was wonderfully feisty and tough, yet so relatable and likeable. There was a particularly dreamy guy (the love story in this novel is so cute and heart-warning) but my all time favourite character had to be Sia's dad! The father-daughter relationship in 'Dark Days' was so refreshingly different to most YA, which tends to focus on the love story. I so enjoyed reading about Sia and her dad, Len - I think that I would probably ship them ;).

I would recommend this book to everyone! It was so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Readers are going to love Dark Days!, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dark Days (Kindle Edition)
I loved Dark Days. Loved, loved, loved it. The idea of the clock counting down the days in the sectors is fantastic – it creates such a strong (and frightening!) image in your mind. I love the way the chapter headings reflect the countdown, too. The world building is fantastic – I felt it really worked, and the reasons for the creation of the New World and the sectors are chilling and all too plausible. The cyborgs are terrifying and the battle scenes are fantastic. The mix of fast-paced scenes and quieter moments is perfect and they sweep you effortlessly through the story.

Sia is tough and brave, but has a vulnerability that makes it really easy to empathise with her and warm to her. And Mace is the perfect sidekick – the chemistry between him and Sia crackles off the page and their romance is sweet and realistic, providing a perfect counterpoint to the darker themes of the novel.

I think readers are going to love Dark Days, especially fans of Divergent or The Hunger Games, and I hope it enjoys the success it richly deserves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, entertaining and adrenaline-packed, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dark Days (Hardcover)
I took Dark Days on holiday with me, and what a great choice. Dark Days is a fast, entertaining, adrenaline-packed read. It isn't the longest of books, but I actually really liked that - the story is succinct, neat, and satisfying.

The premise to Dark Days sucked me in - fifteen days from the start of the story, cyborgs are going to brutally kill everyone in an enclosed sector. It's just as terrifying and gruesome as it sounds! Written from the main character, Sia's, point of view, we don't know what the cyborgs look like or how they kill, which makes it all the scarier when we find out. The characters' situation seems impossible, which kept me flipping pages furiously to discover how it would all end.

One of my favourite parts of the story was the changing relationship between Sia and her dad. I also thought the characters' varying responses to their impending deaths was both really interesting and chilling. Well worth a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, exciting story!, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Dark Days (Hardcover)
First and foremost, I truly loved Dark Days!
As an avid reader and a huge fan of dystopian novels, I was really looking forward to reading this. I admit I'm not exactly the book's 'target market' of a Young Adult reader, ( that age has long since passed me by!! ) so I really was pleasantly surprised at the whole feel of the book. It wasn't patronising, it wasn't predictable and I was so captured by Sia's story.
I particularly liked that from the start, you see that Sia, the main character, is a strong, intelligent girl. She has almost accepted her fate, but still fights to make a difference and try to change things. It sends out a great message of always having hope. She isn't a girl who needs to depend on other people or feel sorry for herself; I feel many female characters in other books have a tendency to be a little weak or overly girly.

This is a slightly shorter novel than some books, but I saw this as a positive. It was very fast paced and always something happening, which I loved. This book didn't need any lengthy chapters to fill gaps between the action, because there were no gaps! There was something to keep you gripped at every turn.

The romantic element of the story was beautifully written; not soppy or the 'token boyfriend', but a pure sense of companionship and kindred spirit. In a bleak world with so much devastation and death, then it isn't surprising that Sia should feel love so quickly towards someone in her situation. Amidst all the hopelessness and grief, I thought this was a perfect way to display emotion, trust and human nature.
The book is so well written and trust me when I say I'm very fussy on that score! I enjoy most books I read, of various genres, but it's been a long time since I read such a page turner and I really felt absorbed in the story.
I'd honestly recommend reading this book to anyone. Put yourself in Sia's place while you follow her last remaining days, and you'll empathise with how her surroundings have shaped her into the person she's become. To me, this wasn't just another Dystopian book. It was a strong message of hope and humanity - to never give up and help one another in the darkest of days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced, thrilling and very enjoyable!, 19 July 2014
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dark Days (Kindle Edition)
Fast paced, thrilling and very enjoyable, Kate Ormand’s Dark Days is a YA dystopia story that everyone should read!

The clock is ticking for Sia. She only has two weeks left before the Cyborgs come invade the sector that she lives and destroys everyone who hasn’t been picked to go live in the New World because her and her family have been deemed to be too ordinary. Determined to spend her last days enjoying life by doing the things she’s never done before, Sia isn’t prepared to meet a boy called Mace, because Mace makes her start questioning things and opening her up to what’s really going on around her. Suddenly Sia has to do the impossible and try to stop the Cyborgs before they invade her sector, but it is a job that is doomed from the start?

I loved the concept of Dark Days! When you first meet Sia she already knows her fate, so we don’t actually see the announcement about Sia’s sector being the next to be destroyed. The ticking clock at the start of each chapter really pumped up my excitement levels, because with each day you know that time is running out for Sia and her family and I so desperately wanted her to have a happy ever after. I really enjoyed the entire story, there’s always something going on and Kate Ormand wrote it in a way that makes you question even the smallest things and by trying to figure out how the story will end. The plot was fast paced and intriguing, and there wasn’t a dull moment.

I really liked Sia and Mace. I thought they were great together – not just romantically – but as friends too. I liked that they could open up to one another and experience new things together. But what I loved was how Mace introduces Sia to a new life, one she’s never really wished for until she met him because she didn’t think that hope existed. For a young girl, Sia goes through so much. Most of the people she loves have been taken away from her and I really felt for her situation. It really makes you hate the bad guys in the story even more.

What else I loved was the fact that this is a standalone book. There are simply just not enough standalone dystopia stories, they all seem to be trilogies and I’m glad Kate Ormand decided on just the one book. I think it worked well and ended well enough that as a reader I was very satisfied.

In all, Dark Days was a pleasure to read and a great addition to the dystopia genre. Welcome done Kate and I can’t wait to see more from you!

4.0 out of 5 stars a trips down imagination road review, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dark Days (Hardcover)
I received a copy of Dark Days in exchange for my review.

Sia has 15 days to live. 15 days til the cyborgs come and destroy her sector because they're not deemed worthy of living. And there are things that she wants to do before she dies; climb the hill, swim in the lake and kiss a boy. She didn't think any of them will happen until she meets Mace, who gets her involved in the resistance...people that are determined to fight the cyborgs, knowing that they did something even if they end up dead. But finding out who the leader of the rebellion is has a bigger effect on Sia than even she realises and she changes her plan from fighting to surviving.

Wow that was a heart pumper. The countdown and the focus on the time left actually built the tension in the book and I couldn't help but feel the race to the end. And though I, somewhat obviously, had hope for the characters, there were some points when I just didn't see how that would be possible.

One thing you need to know is that the author is not scared to kill off characters, though I'm not actually sure it would be possible to write a book like Dark Days without doing so. There were also some quite violent moments, particularly when the cyborgs attack (I don't even feel that that is a spoiler because it was obvious all the way through).

The dystopia was interesting to say the least, there seemed to be a fair bit of freedom within the sector, though the characters were trapped there and were told that they were going to die in 15 days, which does ultimately seem to be a bit dystopic.

There were also a lot of twists and turns in the story that I definitely didn't see coming, to name a few (cryptically) the identity of the leader of the revolution, and Sia's little trip being two of them! Dark Days is definitely worth a read, it'll keep you on the edge of your seat constantly!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cyborg Army!!, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dark Days (Hardcover)
The blurb pretty much tells you everything so I'm not going to rehash it. I love Dystopian and Post Apocalyptic books and when I read the blurb I was sold. Well Dark Days was awesome.

I loved the fact that the book is set to a deadline. They have 15 days left to live and the clock shows it. Every chapter was a new day so we had the added suspense of seeing the time tick down. You see Day whatever on the chapter header and as it gets closer and closer to Day 0 I was like, uh oh!! Whats going to happen today.

Sia was a very real character. She knows how long is left and after the initial crying etc, she decides to be resigned to her fate. She makes a list of the top 5 things she wants to do before she dies. Like spending time with her mother and father and climbing the forbidden hill. Will she get these things done though??

I loved seeing how much her character grew through out the book. She is resigned to death but after meeting Mace and seeing that there may be hope after all she decides that, yes, life is for living! She started out as weak but slowly came out of her shell and grows a backbone!! She doesn't need anyone to protect her now.

*Sigh* Mace!! He meets Sia in the supermarket and walks her home. She doesn't trust him at all and when he gives her a note and tells her to meet him the next day she doesn't even read it. She cant stop thinking of him though and finally he gets to tell her that he is part of a resistance. He is a recruiter and wants her to be part of it. He is strong, tough but yet oh so sweet with Sia. I loved seeing their friendship grow.

I went into Dark Days with high expectations and they were more than met. Kate Ormand has created a unique setting fraught with danger. Its faced paced and action packed. In it we get to see the reaction of people when faced with certain death. Do they fight or hide? She has created a world where the "special" people are chosen to live in the New World and the other lower ones get murdered, and not just murdered but torn apart by cyborgs. Its chilling to think about!! Dark Days was an impressive debut an I look forward to reading more from this author. The ending hinted to maybe another addition to this dark and dangerous world!! Im hoping so anyway ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars So much fun!, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Dark Days (Hardcover)
I can't believe I have never posted a text review for this book!

Here is my video review for those of you who haven't seen it:

I LOVED this book! I had so much fun reading it. It's everything that you'd expect and desire from a YA dystopian novel with an awesomely fast pace, a strong female protagonist, HEAPS of action, and quite a lot of gore.

The setting is so bleak...but I loved it! It was so perfect for the mood of this book. In Sia's sector, every single room in every single house looks exactly the same, and no one is allowed to move the furniture. It was so depressing, but it definitely created more of a contrast to the New World when we get a glimpse of later in the novel.

The protagonist is excellent. Sia is so strong. I was so happy to final read something that didn't feature a damsel in distress! She refuses to go down without a fight. While others crumble and fall apart, Sia decides to make the most of her time left.

I feel like so many people will fall in love with Mace (Sia's love interest - maybe it's best not to fall in love with him!) He's always there to look out for Sia (whether she wants him too or not). I feel like their love developed at a perfect pace. In so many YA novels the characters spend the entire book 'kind of' liking each other but never actually getting together for no reason whatsoever. The romance in Dark Days was so much more fun to read!

I've seen quite a lot of people compare this novel to the Hunger Games. There are a few similarities e.g. The New World is a tiny bit like The Capital, and a couple of characters In Dark Days are a tiny bit like some of the minor characters in THG. However, I feel like the story is completely different. It's much close to the Sci-Fi genre. The writing style is also very different.
The similarities to THG actually made more feel nostalgic and enhanced my enjoyment of the book even further.

Overall, I really loved this book! It's perfect to read over the summer because it's just so fast paced and entertaining...I'd be surprised if you don't get through it in one sitting! Also, it's the perfect read for both genders, despite the female narrator. It's quite a masculine story at times, and is definitely more focused on action than romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb first novel, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Dark Days (Hardcover)
It’s hard to believe that this is Kate Ormand’s debut novel; it is written in such a mature prose that a seasoned novelist would be proud to have created it. The book has everything: suspense, intrigue, pain, suffering, terror, betrayal, friendship, sacrifice, romance and even humour.

The characterisation is very good, each character as plausible as the next, but it is the main character, Sia, a feisty and courageous 16-year-old that the reader can most relate to. Faced with the prospect of a violent death looming only days away, Sia is unwilling to simply accept her fate, and determines to not only make the most of her remaining time, but to take extraordinary steps to save her people from the terrifying ordeal the New World has in store for them.

Sia’s relationship with Mace, a brave and gentle older boy, blossoms as the two become comrades-in-arms to face the unknown enemy. Bonded by a shared grief for family members who have already perished, and a steely determination not to suffer the same fate, the pair ultimately find love in exceptional circumstances. But is love enough to overcome evil and save their people? Read this thrilling, fast-paced page-turner yourself to find out. You won’t be disappointed!