4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels good
I was looking for a high capacity USB3 drive and already have one of the older Transcend StoreJet (500Gb) drives, so thought I'd give this one a go. My older drive (purchased in 2011, I think) is still going strong and I've never had any problems with it.

Published 6 months ago by George Stark

Published 18 hours ago by Claire J Winter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, feels good, 28 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Transcend 2 TB 2.5 inch USB 3.0 StoreJet H3B Shock Resistance Portable External Hard Drive - Blue (Personal Computers)

After placing the order, I noticed that the WD Elements equivalent (2TB) drive was 17GBP cheaper. I figured I'd go ahead and order the WD drive too, and return the Transcend drive to Amazon after it arrived. So, why am I leaving a review of a drive I presumably returned? Well, having the two drives side-by-side, I chose to keep the Transcend and send the WD drive back instead.

The WD drive is very neat. It's pretty much a square and is smaller than the Transcend drive but a little thicker. The WD's housing is nice enough to look at but feels very plasticky and rigid. It has 4 small, rubber feet on the bottom but really feels like it wouldn't handle bumps and knocks very well and there's not very much grip on the casing. Straight away, I felt that I'd be forced to handle it with much more care than the Transcend (more on that in a minute) and be worried about it slipping out of my hand whilst carrying it to and from the machine it was purchased to act as a backup for (and I didn't want to have to end up buying a soft case for it).

I can't attest to build quality, reliability or anything like that, as I've literally only had both drives for a couple of days. They both connect without any problems, both write at roughly the same speed in some tests I did (about 26-27MBps on USB2), both are formatted to NTFS (although oddly enough, I seem to remember the WD Elements 2TB drive actually showing up with very slightly more free space than the Transcend...maybe the cluster size is different. Anyway...

I'd not even opened the Transcend drive and was midway through boxing it up and processing the return when I figured I could at least just open it. As soon as I had it in my hand, I knew that I'd be keeping this drive instead of the WD Elements. The StoreJet has a really nice rubber casing and although it's physically a big bigger than the WD Elements, it feels like it would physically be able to withstand more and the grip the rubber casing provides, means that you won't constantly be worrying about dropping it. Interestingly enough, the Transcend drive's doesn't appear to offer as much protection as the WD's packaging...that could tell you something about how delicate WD seem to think their drive might be. Also, the Transcend comes with a 3yr (albeit "limited") warranty, over the WD Element's 2yr.

They both come with software that most of us won't even use (although the version of WD's backup software is only a 30-day trial, whereas, Transcend's software seems to be fully functional) and both come with short USB3 cables. I prefer the cable that comes with the WD drive; it's longer and thinner (therefore, more flexible).

I don't doubt that the WD Elements drive is excellent, I just preferred the Transcend and think the extras (seemingly better protection, longer warranty, etc.) were worth the slightly extra price. I'll update this review in the coming months if I have any problems with it - if you're reading this and don't see an *** UPDATE ***, assume it's still going strong. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good drive to have., 19 Nov. 2014
I have two of these drives now and also two of the 1TB drives. I find them to be fast and reliable, not sure about the shock resistant claims as I haven't ever dropped them to test it and don't intend to either.
I can say I often carry the drives in backpacks that do get manhandled, bumped and knocked about and feel safe knowing they are relatively robust hard drive ( not quiet a drop test but good enough for me )

I haven't had any issues with this drive and intend to purchase another one soon, the only thing I would say is to be careful with the USB 3 lead, it is a little flimsy and likely to break off in the drives port if transported connected in.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have 6 of these Trancend 2 Tb rugged HDD, no problems at all, 22 April 2014
Specus Crawler (Berkshire England) - See all my reviews
All purchased from Amazon UK between July 2013 and April 2014. I am just about to purchase 2 more.
I notice that reviews from Amazon.com (USA) are dated 2011 or earlier and just do not correspond to the latest devices.
All the latest devices I have are very fast ( approx. 70 Mbytes/sec) and do not need connecting to 2 USB sockets. That was true of devices from 2011 or earlier but is no longer true.
They are supplied with an old FAT 32 file system, so reformatting to NTFS is advisable. If the box for quick reformat is ticked then the reformatting will take about 1 minute. It is absolutely NOT necessary to do the full reformat which may well take hours.
I have never drop tested any of mine, but I suspect if they are dropped while connected and transferring data this may still cause head crashes. When reformatting under windows 8.1 the write cache is disabled by default. If it is enabled then write speed will be significantly improved but the device should be safely ejected and removed so that the write cache is cleared.
For precious data such as photos or videos that are irreplaceable I suggest that a single disk is not sufficient. Make a second backup and maybe even keep it in a separate location.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended unit providing good grip and performance., 16 Mar. 2015
I eventually decided on this unit.
Its rubberised and provides good grip and grip on any clean surface.

The USB3 on my USB3.0 equipped laptop worked very well compared over USB2.0
I copied over films and even Topfield and Humax recordings and found them playable on my LG and Samsung TV's (once I renamed the Topfield .rec file to .ts, the Humax were already .ts).
The USB3 read speed avarages out at 86MB/s using HDTach3.1 (48MB/s-112MB/s)
I've not dropped it yet.
The backup/reconnect button works to reconnect well. I've not used any of the supplied software yet.
Its blue indicator is the same colour regardless USB2.0 or USB3.0 connection.
I had read the colour was different when working in USB2.0 vs. USB3.0, well this is wrong or not anymore, shame but no biggie.
Connecting cable is USB3 Type-A one end to USB3 Micro-B connecting to the drive. Pretty standard. I didn't find loose fitting.

I have tried connecting this to the Humax HDR Fox T2 and mostly without problem.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Piece of Kit, 12 May 2014
This is a great piece of kit at a great price from Amazon. It looks and feels solid and is easy to hold as it has a rubberised feel to it, unlike many of the other shiny cased hard drives which easily slip out of the hand. It works as well as it looks and the 1 TB storage is more than adequate for my purposes. I'm more than happy with my purchase and would buy another without hesitation. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not reliable, failed after 3 months use - data now inaccessible. Avoid., 26 April 2015
Bought this device in January, it is now april and it has stopped working. it comes up with a message that it is not recognised, or it recognises it for a minute or so, then fails to open any files. It has been treated exceptionally cautiously and handled with care. A lot of my data is now trapped on it with no way for me to access it. I have searched online and this seems to be a common problem with this device. I would avoid Transcend products in the future given my experience of this one.
External HDDs are bought to backup data onto, this backup has now failed. I feel let down that a manufacturer of such a poor item is allowed to continue to sell this on Amazon.
Avoid this product, even though the price is tempting, there are better extrenal HDDs out there and for a few more pounds you can buy a truely reliable device. The cost of lost data is much larger than the few pounds saved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Rugged Drive, 10 Mar. 2015
I've had Transcend thumb drives and WD external HDD but buying a Transcend external 2TB HDD would be the first that I own.
I need to agree that the casing and the drive look good and sturdy. Apart from being a backup, also had got it to kid proof the backed up data (hope the Military-grade Shock Resistance works as my kid throws things a lot)
I haven't had any issues with this drive till now and it does whats intended. It could have been better if the drive had a WiFi connectivity as well.
Also appreciate Amazon for a prompt delivery and packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have 6 of these now, so I guess ..., 17 Feb. 2015
I have 6 of these now, so I guess I think well of them. i have emailed customer services at Transcend and they respond so well

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 21 April 2015
Small, light and easy to use.

Huge 2TB storage.

A great companion on my travels and thanks to the small size it fits easily next to my laptop on the tray table on the airplane.

I always disconnect the UBS cable from the Hard Drive before I put it in my bag to avoid that the connector on the Hard Drive gets demaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars great piece of kit, 13 Jan. 2015
Had this for a couple years now, filled it with film and tv it's still going strong so can't complain, quick transfer speeds due to USB 3.0, not really dropped it so can't comment on that, great piece of kit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›