5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping novel, 14 July 2014
For me, no one can touch John Grisham with a legal thriller but this one comes pretty damn close!

This is Lescroart's 15th novel in the Dismas Hardy series but I felt this could easily be read as a standalone; the real star of this novel is his investigator Abe Glitsky. Other characters appear in this novel that have been in previous but I didn't feel that I couldn't follow because of not having read any earlier ones. Each character is introduced in their own right - regular readers of this series might actually find that repetitive but as a new fan it worked for me.

There's not as much actual court room drama as I like but it's still fast paced with good old fashioned detective work and has so many twists and turns, red herrings, goodies and baddies that will make you second guess everything you read.

The main suspect, Hal, at the beginning I felt quite sorry for him, totally saw him as a victim as well but as the story progresses I found myself really disliking him and the fact that it all seems to end in his favour.

I've read so many detective and mystery novels that I should be able to spot whoduunit a mile off but I never do and this one really threw me, I hadn't got a clue (even though they were there) and just didn't see that ending coming - I'm so naive!

A gripping novel from start to finish that I would totally recommend to fans of legal thrillers. So much so, that I'm tempted to go back to the beginning and find out how it all started!

Thanks to the publishers Headline / Bookbridgr for sending me a copy for review.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Dismas Hardy Story, 14 July 2014
well written murder story with the usual Dismas characters and an interesting plot keeping the truth nicely hidden until the end. You need to have read earlier stories in the series to understand this one properly.

4.0 out of 5 stars All the twists we've come to expect on a good Lescroart story, 12 July 2014
I enjoyed the usual mix of procedure, local politics, personalities and agendas, with a good handful of diversionary sub-plots. Nonetheless an important sub-plot remained unresolved: I can only assume it lays the scene for a follow-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lescroart back to his best!, 27 Jun 2014
Having criticised the previous Dismas Hardy book, it seemed only fair to give credit where credit is due.
This one has the usual page turning, multi-threaded mystery style I have come to love in this series of books.
There are several plausible villians, and plenty of Lescroart's trademark whimsy and humour to keep the story rattling along.
I love the central group of characters in these books, and its great that we can follow their lives as the years go by.
Brilliant, thanks John for another good read.

Tony Pethen

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite series., 7 May 2014
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Publication Date: Available NOW from Headline.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy via BookBridgr

Dismas Hardy takes on a case that’s very close to home.
When Hal Chase’s wife, Katie, goes missing and he becomes the prime suspect for her murder, he wants Dismas Hardy as his lawyer.
Hardy calls on former homicide detective Abe Glitsky to look into the case. Chase certainly had strong motives but as Glitsky delves deeper, he identifies other possible suspects and he also uncovers an incident that might be related – the death of an inmate in the jail where Chase used to work.

So for me, a new Dismas Hardy book is like sinking into a hot bath at the end of a long and stressful day – Brilliantly relaxing, absolutely anticipated, with the knowledge that you are in for a treat. And hey, here we are at No 15 in the series and the quality and sheer joy of the reading experience has diminished not one iota. Blissful sigh.

In this instalment, Dismas takes on the case of Hal Chase, suspect in the disappearance of his wife – when it becomes clear that this is no open and shut case, he calls upon old friend Abe Glitsky to help. As Abe delves further into the people involved, secrets begin to emerge..

Once again Mr Lescroart weaves a twisty tale, immersing his well drawn and authentic characters right into the heart of the matter with a brilliantly flowing, addictive story that will keep you reading into the early hours. I’m not sure why but I’m always put in mind of Sherlock Holmes – probably because danger is often afoot, and the eclectic cast all mix it up beautifully to keep you on your toes and changing your mind about whats what. Plus of course there is Dismas himself, a man I’d sure want on my side if someone decided to accuse me of murder.

I can count on one hand the number of authors out there at the moment that can write really good legal and courtroom drama’s. Scott Turow is one, James Sheehan is another. And right at the top of the tree for me sits Mr Lescroart and Dismas Hardy – along with all his friends who often appear in novels in their own right. As a whole world created its pretty amazing. And I hope it continues for a good long while.

Highly Recommended. You can pick up any one of these and have a great reading experience. This one was top notch. But then they all are…

Happy Reading Folks!

4.0 out of 5 stars First but not last Lescroart read, 6 May 2014
ShaunOK "Book Addict" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Legal thrillers are something I've wanted to read more of for a long time. There's just something about the courtroom that fascinates me, and John Lescroart's books have been on my tbr for a while along with most of Grisham's (apart from the few that I've read). I did jury service just over a year ago and this just heightened my interest in the genre even further. So when I saw this book on bookbridgr I didn't hesitate in requesting a review copy. I am now going to be seeking out more books from Lescroart as soon as my review books for May and June are read and reviewed! This book isn't a courtroom drama but there is a huge legal aspect to the story.

The blurb for this book immediately drew me in. I love a good mystery and they don't come much better than the one here. The book opens with a nice introduction to Dismas Hardy and his wife and their home life. There's two things that an author writing about the same character for a few decades needs to do: satisfy existing readers by continuing the character's story but at the same time not alienating new readers and the author definitely achieved that here. Little snippets about Hardy's life up until now where given away and I definitely look forward to reading more about this character.

One of Hardy's wife's clients has gone missing, Katie Chase, seemingly she has upped and left without taking her children with her. Friends and family think this is out of the ordinary and suspicion falls on the husband Hal Chase. Hal has a somewhat shaky alibi as to where he was at the time of the disappearance and he calls on Hardy to help him find his wife. Hardy himself then asks an old friend and ex Homicide detective Abe Giltsky to help find out more using his connections. Running alongside this story is the mystery about the amount of deaths occurring inside the local jail.

I definitely got caught up in the mystery of where Katie was and couldn't turn the pages quick enough. Katie's friends and family are convinced Hal has something to do with it, we learn about the various motives he could have for doing it but ultimately I believed Hal from the start which left me second guessing everybody else that was introduced into the story and wondering what part they could have played in the disappearance. With the story of the prison deaths too, there was plenty going on in the book to keep it moving at a quick pace and to keep the reader interested. Wes Farrell the district attorney is looking into the prison deaths and recruits a woman by the name of Maria to enter the prison posing as a nurse to try and gather evidence against the Sheriff.

The last part of the book especially I couldn't read quick enough as everything started to fall into place. This really is a gripping read which left me guessing up until the end. My only problem with the book is I felt the reasoning behind the killings and who the killer was was a bit weak. Having thought about it though the reasoning felt realistic, it was something that can and has happened in the real world. I definitely recommend this book to people looking for a good mystery alongside great writing and characterisation.

Thanks to bookbridgr for the review copy(less)