4.0 out of 5 stars Back in the World - indeed!
Published 5 months ago by R. Cousins

3.0 out of 5 stars so maybe his next will be better.
Different - but sorry, other than the first track, nothing really 'does it for me'. I have every other DG album, plus a superb 'Live Covers 2001 - 207' album, so maybe his next will be better.
Published 3 months ago by Tracey J Patterson

4.0 out of 5 stars Back in the World - indeed!, 9 July 2014
R. Cousins (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineers (Audio CD)
As a listener of David Gray's previous albums this one is a massive step up to more original and creative material. He says himself that he tends to start with the melody with the lyrics coming later which may be the reason the sound connects with me more than the lyrics. Like most good albums it may take a while before the penny drops with what is going on here but do allow that to happen! After 3-4 proper listens you should be there. The first 8 tracks or so are vintage Gray with the opener, 'Back in the World' a personal statement of where he finds himself now after years in a sort of wilderness. The track has humour and is well written and I think the first single off the album. The cello solo in the second half of 'Last Summer' merits particular mention - it is just beautiful. Goose bumps and all that. The album takes a sort of different direction on the last 3 tracks and seem to be influenced by reading other writers' work but I'm not sure how I feel about them. See what you think. The album could accurately be described as mellow but David Gray is in fine voice and displaying a fine maturity after all these years. 'Beautiful Agony' is emerging as my favourite track with a hint in the lyrics that it's biographical. The deluxe version of the album comes with 2 complementary 'live' CDs with all your old favourites and slightly alternative takes as you are meant to do with a 'live' audience. A nice addition for all DG fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better, 25 Oct 2014
D. Evans "djae" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineers (Audio CD)
Each new album David Gray brings out is better than the last and I always think you can't get better but he always surprises me. I am always a bit sceptical buying new albums as some artists just lose their rythym and bring out some crap when they get writers block. David continues to improve with each album he produces and for me this is by far the best yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Mutineer, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Mutineers (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful album. I was lucky enough to see David on his recent tour and he started the show with eight songs from Mutineers - I had never seen an artist do this before with new material ! It shows he has confidence in this new music and knows it is his best work so far. Whether it sells as much as previous albums like White Ladder is another matter of course! It certainly deserves to. "Back in the World" is clever and ridiculously catchy, the cello on "Last Summer" is sublime and I am struggling to find words to describe how good "Birds of a High Artic" is. Buy with total confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Affirming., 30 Jun 2014
Mark A. Burt "mark79724" (Paisley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineers (Audio CD)
Having not listened to anything since Life in slow motion (loved that album but it reminded me of a very traumatic time in my life so found it a difficult listen) Started reading reviews of Mutineers and it got me really intrigued. Well cake and eat it aside, 10 out 11 tracks are superb especially my favourite 'as the crow flies' The bottom line is you don't need to be a fan to love this album. I'm not and I do. Just buy and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars and this is his best work for quite a few years, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Mutineers (Audio CD)
I'm a massive David Gray fan, and this is his best work for quite a few years, possibly the best since White Ladder. Some catchy tunes, and some incredibly mellow sounds make this a true David Gray classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another favourite David Gray album, 3 Nov 2014
zukki3 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineers (Audio CD)
David Gray is one of very few artists I have most of their back catalog. Most people would say White Ladder is his best work but my opinion differs. My favourites being Life in Slow Motion and Lost Songs. The former having bigger and heavier arrangements and production, as opposed to the latter, which is simple, pared down to the minimum of instruments.

But now I have another favourite album of his. Mutineers slots nicely in between the other two. Aside from some beautiful and haunting melodies (which is why I listen to his music so much), I think there are some softer vocal variations and vocal arrangements on this album compared to his past work. Layered over the never over-produced backing tracks.

My least favourite tracks are "Back In The World" and "Cake and Eat It", probably because for me, these are more familiar, classic David Gray songs. Even so, this is an album that will be on my 'frequently listen to' playlist.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant album. Has overtones of his childhood by the ..., 30 Jun 2014
What a brilliant album.
Has overtones of his childhood by the sea at Solva ,Pembrokeshire
Highly recommended for easy and relaxing music

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterclass in how to make an atmospheric and passionate album. Strong stuff. Brilliant!, 11 Nov 2014
John K. Gateley "johngateley" (Bracknell, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineers (Audio CD)
A master class in how to develop and perform songs that simply stop you in your tracks. I like David Gray a lot simply because he has a great voice, sings with passion and experiments with sounds and feelings. This album is contemplative, thoughtful and a strange mixture of mellow and edgy. Back in the World kicks the album off in classic David Gray form but for me, the stand out track is the title track - Mutineers. You feel you are in a big hall listening to all these sounds going around your head. Marvellous stuff. Birds of the High Arctic also starts brilliantly but I think fades off a little. Becomes repetitive.
No doubt this man is a fine singer and songwriter and so much more to him than just Babylon - he deserves a song that matches this - the title track gets close, IMHO. Lovely guy, lovely album.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic night perfect balance of the new material from Mutineers ..., 7 Dec 2014
This review is from: Mutineers (Audio CD)
In my opinion not the radical change in direction for David suggested by other reviewers, however another example of the consistant quality of song writing and performance you'd expect. Purchased as " revision" for our long awaited chance to see him live fulfilled at Bexhill last weekend.What a fantastic night perfect balance of the new material from Mutineers and those classics we all love and admire from his extensive back catalogue, energetically performed with humble appreciation of his audience. Whether recorded or live David Gray is a class act.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to his best. heard most of songs on his concert been ..., 10 July 2014
Paul Cook (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mutineers (Audio CD)
Back to his best .heard most of songs on his concert been a fan for years .will be remembered next to white ladder album.

Mutineers
Mutineers by David Gray (Audio CD - 2014)