Published on 17 Aug. 2009 by Jahanzeb Farooq

2.0 out of 5 stars An interesting historical retrospective into a bygone era of development
I really enjoy reading books on how to improve my coding. Having read Clean Code, Refactoring: Improving, Pragmatic Programmer, etc, I could not really get rid of the feeling of disappointment that this monolith gave me.
The sheer amount of pages needed to convey things that Clean Code gives you in 2 pages or less, is mind numbing.
The archaic idea of focusing...
Published on 9 Mar. 2013 by Gianfranco Alongi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for beginners but not necessarily for veterans!, 17 Aug. 2009
Jahanzeb Farooq (Denmark) - See all my reviews
A very well-written, seminal book on software construction. It very effectively covers almost all of the important topics in software construction. This book partly also served as a revision of my software engineering classes in university. It very effectively, in fact blatantly reminds us that software engineering is all about managing complexity. However at the same time I have to be honest also in that it is not as "must have" as it is often projected. It also comes from the fact that for someone with 3-4+ years of professional experience, this book is not going to offer that much (though still recommended). With some 3.5 years working in industry, I already knew roughly some 70% of things told in this book. For example all those chapters on coding and naming conventions are not going to offer you much if you haven't already learned these things in first few years of your career. Many practices this book recommends are too good that are too obvious and many practices it condemns are too bad that make me wonder if people are really using them. Some chapters are really awesome, like "Design in Construction" and "Working Classes", some are very good such as "Managing Construction", most of them are good such as "Using Conditional" and "Unusual Control Structures", and a few are so so, e.g. "Layout and Style" , "Refactoring". Another problem with this book is that it is unnecessarily long, and verbose. It is composed of 35 chapters. In places it feels too redundant. In my opinion, the size of the book could have cut down by fixing these redundant things. e.g. why to include chapter 34, and why those Checklist sections? Also note that this book is more about coding than programming, e.g., it does not even remotely discuss data structures or algorithm analysis (Big O and stuff) etc.

Summary: Highly recommended to beginners in professional software development, moderately recommended to people with some experience, and not necessarily recommended to veterans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandatory, 5 Dec. 2005
Code Complete 2 is another brilliant book from Steve mcConnell. I should have read this years ago when I graduated. It is easy to read despite being fairly chunky. Everything is here you'll need. Designing classes, loops, naming conventions, debugging, testing, refactoring, human factors and loads loads more.
I agree in part with the more negative review on here. Any book is the authors point of view, but Steve mcConnell backs everything he says with data from previous experiments, journals and "famous" successfull/failed projects. There are many compelling arguments in here to change the processes you use to develop and design software. I'm getting my boss to get everyone in the department a copy before our next major project. It's that good!
This needs to be mandatory reading, no excuses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading for Professional Software Developers, 2 Jan. 2005
Every professional developer should read this book at least once in their career. It covers almost every aspect of modern software development (from a professional programmers point of view). In particular it adds some perspective to the many competing development methodologies around today. It's also relevant to both lone developers and those working in larger teams.
There's a few odd ommissions e.g. no coverage UML or patterns. However this is "nit picking" as the book as it stands (all 800+ pages) is a worldwind tour 'd force of best proctices within the software development industry.
Oh, and it's also a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you write code for a living you must read this book, 6 Jun. 2011
Stephen Handley (Nottingham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was introduced to this book in 1st edition guise after writing code for about 10 years. I could not put it down it was so gripping. I now have the 1st and 2nd edition; one copy at the office and one at the bedside. I read it again, and again and again and again.

So why is it so good? Why should you get a copy?

This book is not language specific, although there are plenty of coding samples in various popular languages. That is the crux of the matter; good programming habits transcend all languages. This book is packed full of good habits, great nuggets of coding commonsense and Yoda-esque wisdom. You can open this book at any random page and just start reading pure gold.

There are millions more programmers in the world more gifted than I, but I defy any one of them to read this book and not acknowledge it's universal merit and relevance to their art. If you are just starting out, it is even more valuable. Without a doubt, reading this book has had the most profound and lasting influence on how I code and how I think about code. I know I write better, more readable, more maintainable code for having read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Working smarter - not harder!, 11 July 2007
Dominicz (Swindon, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
One thing that is never taught through courses, book or programming courses is the "grammar" to use a language. By that I mean, you can use English quite liberally, but to get an impact, to persuade and entice the reader, you need to use the language correctly.

In order to get the best out of your code - from design, structure, documentation, testing, debugging and deployment you'll need to be shown the ropes. Putting it altogether in one place is what this book does and it does it amazingly well!

Full of references to respected software architects and engineers, all of his points are put across in clear, concise language. Points are factually referenced which goes to show the variety of reading material the author went through to get where he is today. The book uses C++, C#, C, VB and Java with benchmarks to show how doing what he says does help.

I bought this book when I was confident with C# and just needed some help with when to refactor, how to comment, how I should use exceptions, optimising loops and other general "grammar" issues.

Very highly recommended for anyone looking to "work smarter - not harder!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to read without `Ctrl+F` facility, 2 Feb. 2010
P. Perhac "MasterPeter" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Although I concur with the general opinion that this book is a `must read` for every s/w developer, there are a few points worth noting in the <5*-rated reviews posted here. The book is great and I enjoy spending an hour or two flipping through its pages every now and then, but -- I wish it was searchable like an electronic copy!

The book is disorganised by design. It covers so many aspects of software development that I could hardly make any suggestions for improvement of its structure (judge me not, I am a poor consumer fellow)... Still - it feels kind of discontinuous. It's probably best to just read randomly chosen chapters and mark read passages.

I would personally welcome if every developer had read this book, or at least parts of it, at some point during their career (ideally even during their studies). And, as to what was mentioned not once it other reviews, I support the view that veteran developers probably need not buy this book. They might find it not a very rewarding read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The bible for every programmer, 18 Dec. 2012
This is a very useful guide for every software developer regardless of the platform or language they use. Every chapter includes effective guidelines and tips that can be applied immediately: just read any chapter, open any piece of your code and you will find something to improve or correct. It's worth buying this best-seller..

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive treatment of software construction, 8 April 2010
I am very impressed by this book, where I found summarized all the wisdom that I gained from my 10 years experience as an embedded software developer and more. The author deals with the details of software construction, providing useful guidelines about implementation details that improve software quality. Every topic is very well described and organized, and the style is lucid and very readable. This is an absolute must read for both junior and experienced computer programmers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a read, 24 May 2012
I'm really not sure if I'm a veteran or not, writing rubbish code since I was a kid in the 80s and getting paid for it for the past couple of decades.

This book is worth a read for all of us, at any level. Ok, maybe a beginner wouldn't get it, but if you've been hacking code long enough to know the modern languages are abstractions and simplifications of what came before then you'll read through the parts that seem less obvious.

Maybe or maybe not a spoiler, but if in doubt, try writing a test case, see how it pans out. Simple and obvious. Most of what is in this book is simple and obvious, but then we do all need that pointing out often and frequently!

It's not a bible of coding, there is no such thing, but it is something we should all have a go at. I didn't rail against anything Steve had to say (unlike, say, Cooper), but that isn't to say he or I are right. I do think he is sticking to making sensible observations about what he thinks is worth saying from a lifetime of coding, as oppose to trying to be exciting. For that alone, I recommend him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read. Packed with information. Brilliant!, 4 Sept. 2010
This is one of the best software books that I have ever read. It is so well written.

At first I thought he was being a little too thorough by backing up almost every piece of advice with hard evidence / research statistics etc. But, by reading a chapter by night and working at the 'programming coal face' by day, I have found myself seeing real benefits from that 'teaching approach'.

Whilst programming I often ask "Shall I do this, shall I do that?", I find it very easy to recall not only which solution is best, but why. Its liberating to make a decision based on my own judgement, rather than "just cos some guru said so in a book".

He doesn't give you a set of recipes, but a set of tools and principals and I cannot think of anyone who would not benefit from having this on their bookshelf.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›