4.0 out of 5 stars Good - If all you want is the fundamentals
Exactly whaat says on the box, but for the basics only.

I bought this book after I realised that Excel has it's limits and Access is far superior in so many ways for storing and entering data in the work environment. I had used Access about 8 years ago and I needed a little reminder of how things worked.

Because of my background knowledge I did find...
Published 21 months ago by Sentinent

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, but useful
Published on 7 April 2011 by Mikex

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic, but useful, 7 April 2011
I read a comment pointing out that the book is too 'simplistic', and so it is. But, for the serious user of Access, there are other books which treat the subject in much greater depth. I certainly use Access regularly, for keeping track of a (large) collection of DVD titles - this is a flat database that could have been held in Excel, I suppose - the others apply to my (perhaps larger) music collection, this being a relational database. I find the 'Step by Step' books to be easy to follow, and useful up to a point. You have to bear in mind that the books are written to cater for those who just need to learn about something, but not in any depth. In this regard, they succeed very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - If all you want is the fundamentals, 8 Feb 2013
Exactly whaat says on the box, but for the basics only.

Because of my background knowledge I did find a lot of it stuff I already knew but I found that I had to start from the beginning because I found that although I understood the concepts I often couldn't grasp the instructions because I did not understand the terminology. I do not think this is a pitfall of the book just a disadvantage when you learn things yourself by trial and error.

Do not expect any enjoyment from this book aside from the joy of what you learn. It is written in a no nonsense style but if you are willing to hack through it is worth it.

I would definitely recommend this for the complete beginner and very casual user of access. However I would look for something more advanced if you are already comfortable using relationships and creating basic form and need ideas about how you can connect your database to websites you have created and stand alone forms.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 2 Dec 2010
A waste of money, very basic and simplistic. Generally people who are prepared develop an Access database would cover this level of advice in a couple of hours without any kind of assistance. The section on exporting data is pathetic, basically recommending copy and paste from Access to Word. Without any how-to book or tuition I had mail merged data from Access to Word. I found no mention of this in the book. Please note yesterday was the first time I have ever used MS Access.

The description provided in Amazon is inadequate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Access 2010, 16 Dec 2011
Graham Nutt (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
A quality tutorial on Microsoft Access Database. Containing exellent practice files for you to download as well as being of immense valueMicrosoft Access 2010 Step by Step (Step by Step (Microsoft)) even when you do not use the practice files.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Book, 28 April 2014
I wanted something that covered the very basics up to quite complicated Databases, this fits the bill perfectly.
You have to download the exercises but you can also download it as a free e-book.
Ignore the websites suggested at the beginning of the book as they take you to the wrong website, you need the O'Reilly press one,
which is near the very back. Easy to follow examples that help you build your confidence.
Obviously, it isn't for professional Database writers but if you want to write something for home use ie: record or film collections with a user friendly front end then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Access 2010, 6 Nov 2013
At best I had a sketchy knowledge of Access and needed to learn it properly and quickly for a skills test in five days time!

I've had these step by step guides before (Word and Excel) and found them very useful so I knew exactly where to go in a rush.

I like this product because the chapters are written in plain, easy to understand English but the really helpful thing is that you can practise on real documents instead of trying to make up your own. It's one thing understanding the written word, it's another thing doing it in the real world.

For me that's what these step by step guides do, explain and retain. I was so grateful I felt like writing a letter to the author but the skills test and interview got in the way and of course, I forgot. I hope Joan Lambert gets this message though and if she does, a very big thank you Joan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Wife, 11 Mar 2013
Bought it for my wife so she could get up to speed on the latest version and she soon sorted out what she needed to learn from this book, so if the wife is happy, then so am I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Step by Step Access 2010, 26 April 2012
Book is just what I needed as most self-help books for Microsoft Office do not include Access which is only part of the professional pack.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed some help, 13 April 2013
Looking for work and have updated home PC to 2010 Office Pro. Wanted some tips and basic examples and tests.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review on Microsoft Access 2010 Step-by-Step (Microsoft), 4 Feb 2012
I have not yet fully read Microsoft Access 2010 Step-by-Step (Microsoft), but I'm sure it will be just as useful as other titles in the Step-by-Step range such as Excel 2010 Step-by-Step which I have read. The screen shots and downloadable practice files are very useful as are the step-by-step instructions in the book for the practice examples. All in all, a good read![MICROSOFT ACCESS 2010 STEP BY STEP]Microsoft Access 2010 Step by Step BY Cox, Joyce(Author){paperback}Microsoft Press(publisher)