4.4 out of 5 stars1,065

on 28 March 2015
A Fantastic upgrade from my previous Philips iron, got this when it was on deal of the day, excellent purchase for the price i paid, certainly worth the full price though. Its much lighter than my previous iron & ive always bought philips iron due to the fact they last years. Very fluid sole plate & a quality build as you would expect from Phillips, love it... However, the the iron loses a star for 2 reasons, firstly they no longer provide you with a Beaker to the fill up the iron, i mean why not??? Im not gonna unplug and plug to & from the tap am I, totally impracticle i thought, luckily im using my old one beaker. Secondly the cable is only 2 meteres long, quite a metre short from my previous philips iron, why are they being stingy with cord, beyond me. Asides those two flaws, i do recommend the iron highly for the job its suppose to deliver and so it does effectivley and swiftly...
review image review image review image
0Comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 December 2015
I didn't get this iron from Amazon, but I felt I needed to write a review. I nearly didn't buy this iron purely on the back of countless reviews saying the cord is too short! I am so glad I used my own initiative...I bought this iron, got home and guess what?? The cord on the new Philips iron is 5 inches, I repeat, "5" inches LONGER than the cord of my old Philips iron!!! Have you guys actually owned an iron before? Isn't it normal to use your ironing board near a socket so as not to have a trailing cord to trip on? Anyway, I needed a new iron after dropping my old one and it was leaking water. Having always been a Philips user I made up my own mind and bought this one. I can say I am not disappointed! It works perfectly and effortlessly even on 100% cotton I didnt need to put my weight behind it. The steam works perfectly with no spitting. Even happier that I can use tap water instead of buying gallons of ironing water! Thank you Philips for another great iron. I shall sleep soundly tonight knowing the cord is NOT too short!!!
22 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 June 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I really cannot fault this iron, it ticks all the boxes for me. An important factor personally is that it isn't too heavy as with a large load to get through it can be tiring on the arms with a hefty one but this even when filled with water is easily manageable.

This really does what it says on the box - it's a whopping 2600w which means it heats up almost instantly and the easy to fill water compartment has the steam generating quickly too. It glides beautiful on all materials and cut through even creases easily in my linen items with little effort which can usually leave me working on them for a long time but this makes it look easy!

It is self cleaning and you can fill it with tap water which is a bonus for me as my last iron required me to buy distiller water and this has a little tray similar to a crumb toaster tray which you pull out periodically and any scale falls into it so it can be easily removed.

A lovely light gliding iron that cuts through my laundry load in half the time off my last iron. I highly recommend and for under £50 it is really worth it - there's also a nice attachment to clip to your ironing board which keeps your cord out of the way whilst ironing - a very nice feature for ease of use that I haven't had with any other iron. A thoughtfully designed, quality iron.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If this iron was a car it would be a luxury sports tourer. It has a sleek look to it, good performance and at the same time can also run the distance.

I always do my ironing in huge batches and can be ironing for several hours at a time, so it is important that the iron does the job efficiently and is light weight. This one ticks all the right boxes for me.

The iron fills easily and can be filled from a tap if you have space under it, if not you will need a jug (not supplied). It takes 300ml of water, which might sound a lot, but I use a lot of steam and can get through around 1.5 litres of water in a session, so I would have liked to have seen a bigger water tank (though not a downside to the iron). A big 2600 watt element will have the iron up to operating temperature in no time

There is the customary dial under the handle to give you a range of temperatures. At first I thought it was faulty as the clicking sound stops and feels different at certain points, but this is just informing you that you are at different garment settings. There is also a choice of no steam to lots of steam and if you are feeling fruity, a boost of super steamy. Through a few sessions of ironing, the high steam setting was enough to get the creases out of all my wash. Don't forget to open a window or you may get a visit from the condensation gremlin and mould goblin.

The sole plate is peppered with steam vents, not like some irons that only have them near the tip, so the whole plate is working for you. The plate itself has a lovely smooth finish that glides across the washing. I did partially melt a hidden logo and it stuck to the plate (who puts plastic logos on the inside of a T-Shirt!). However, like a quality teflon pan, the melted goo just flaked off when the iron cooled down later.

The iron itself s comfortable in the hand and doesn't weigh too heavily which helps with shoulder fatigue in my marathon ironing session. There are safety features built in should you leave the iron on and not move it. You also get a rather ingenious cord guide. My ironing board has a steel plate to rest the iron on and the cord often gets caught in the gap between this and the board. The cord guide clips to the board and a tube smoothly feeds the mains cable in and out as you move around. Why didn't someone tell me about this years ago?

So far I haven't had any spitting or muddy water being thrown out of the iron, although it is still fairly new. There is a scale plug at the heel which collects bits when the iron is stood up. Periodically you need to pull it free and clean it out. This is a neat way of keeping the iron from clogging up and hopefully prevent the spitting from ever occurring.

Bottom line: A bit of a hefty price tag (currently £76), but you do get a top quality iron for this that cuts down on ironing time with impressive results. Not quite as fast at ironing as a steam generator iron, but it is a lot cheaper not as bulky to store, fires up in just a few minutes and not far behind the steam performance of the steam generators.
22 comments|185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 20 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a Bosch Steam Generating iron, which at first seemed great and powerful but now I'm fed up of how heavy and awkward it is. This Philips Azur irons just as well as the Bosch iron, if not better. I ironed a linen dress which is tricky to get crease free. This iron worked wonders on it's creases.

The cord length was fine for me (*see update below*) and I liked the clip that attached to your ironing board and lets you guide the cord through. It then ensures the cord doesn't get in your way of ironing.

It heats up extremely quickly (within two minutes) and glides effortlessly. It's an attractive looking iron, one of the nicest I've seen.

It comes with a calc clean tray which is like a toaster tray. You just pop it open and empty out the scales. You still have to claim out the iron using the calc clean button every month. Probably more often, if like me, you live in a hard water area.

You can fill it straight from the tap but I would have still liked a little jug type container to use as I don't like walking about with a hot iron when it runs out of steam. No biggie though, as I can just use an empty water bottle or similar to top it up.

I'd recommend this iron to others.

UPDATE AFTER A FEW MORE USES:
Loses a star due to:
I would still recommend this iron but would warn about the cord length. The first few times I used it I had no problems as my ironing board was literally next to the socket. Today I was ironing and the board was about 75cm away from the wall. I found that to reach the end of my ironing board I really had to stretch the cord to iron items such as shirts. At one point I ended up pulling the plug out of the socket! I have realised that my ironing board needs to be positioned quite close to the wall socket, 50cm or less. If this will be an issue for you may want to purchase a different iron with a longer cord length or use an extension wire.
22 comments|155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We're very pleased with this iron to supplement our Philips steam generator. It's perfect for when we just want to iron one or two things.

The product claims are generally accurate. There's loads of steam, the sole plate is as good as they get and it's a doddle to descale. My wife and I both find the handle comfortable and the weight just right (not heavy but not too light either). We've had no problems so far with water or `bits' dropping out of the steam vents. The cord guide does its job well.

The cord really should be longer than 2m but we find it adequate. We position the board alongside a utility room worktop with a wall socket behind. The board is 1.4m long, the worktop 0.6m deep. Keep in mind that longer cords could be dangerous, if you have children running around. If you fancy splashing out on a new board, consider one with a built-in extension lead such as Minky Pro Workstation Ironing Board 125cm x 45cm (I'm pretty sure Lidl had one for a lot less money, not so long ago).

I've no hesitation in recommending this iron but have deducted a star for the short cord.

You might want to consider this one instead though Philips GC4912/80 PerfectCare Azur Iron - One Perfect Temperature, T-IonicGlide Soleplate and 180g Steam Boost. Being able to iron a mixed load in any order without adjusting anything on the iron is wonderful. We had great results on everything from polyester to denim and the cord length is 2.5m. We made the mistake of letting our son acquire it!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Our current iron is a very large steam generator iron, which sits on the water tank base and takes up a lot of space. The main advantage of this older iron comes in the superlative way it produces steam, that cuts through my pinpoint and sea island cotton shirts. When this smaller but powerful iron was offered on the Vine programme, I thought it would be good to see if we could ditch the larger iron for this rather smaller model.

Firstly, the iron itself looks as if it is made from very high quality materials. As other reviewers have indicated, it is not the usual white or pink colours, but silver and black. The water goes in through quite a wide spout at the front and so there is very little water that gets spilled when its being filled. The ironing plate, which very often is cheaply made and so stops gliding over the clothes or becomes black with age, appears to be quite thick and made from heavy gauge metal. This is backed up in use, as the surface is super smooth and glides through my 100% cotton shirts with absolute ease. The biggest and quite frankly stupidest design flaw is the 2 meter cord, which is far too short to be of use. Why on earth the designers would give the buyer such a short cable, on such a premium product is beyond me. I often find some small flaw, with most products I have either bought or tested that have been made by Phillips. To use the iron, we have to use an extension cable so as to reach the wall plug and still be able to iron. The steam that is generated is very powerful, although not as powerful as the our current iron, but there again it is not designed to be. This is a compact iron and as such it generates an amazing amount of steam.

Whilst this is not as good as our existing steam generating iron, which is very bulky and large, it is nonetheless a superb iron, which glides through my cotton shirts. It generates an amazing amount of steam and is ready in just under 2 minutes. The build quality appears to be fantastic, but it is let down by a basic design flaw, a 2m electric cable.

Overall this is a great product and I am happy to highly recommend it. I gave it 4 starts because of the length of cable issue.
on 25 March 2015
I have owned this iron for about 4 months when parts of the plastic lightweight body started falling and popping off. The wires are now exposed and it is too dangerous to use. I CANNOT RECOMMEND !
on 3 July 2015
Absolutely amazing iron, cannot praise this highly enough. Makes a breeze of even the most creased items and usually difficult to iron delicates as it automatically adjusts heat where it is needed. The upright steam function makes freshening suits in between dry cleaner visits a doddle. Large items like curtains can be ironed out speedily with the super steam shot, in fact there is nothing it cannot do. Makes ironing a pleasure (and this is from someone who hates ironing!), I have an empty ironing basket for the first time in years!! Don't hesitate to make this purchase it will change your life forever!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Reviewing something as functional and pedestrian as an iron can be a tricky proposition. After all, what can you really say about an iron. Does it smooth clothes well? Does it generate sufficient amounts of steam? An iron that didn't do both those things really wouldn't deserve to be on the market, so they sought of go without saying.

Therefore what you have to focus on are the added extras. In the case of the Philips Performer Steam Iron they are build quality and how user friendly it is. In the case of the former I really can't fault it. It feels solid and well built from decent materials. Nothing feels flimsy or cheap.

When it comes to how user friendly it is, some trouble seems to have been taken to make life easier for the user. For example, the water filler cap cover hinges sideways, so that you can fill the iron when its being held horizontally, making it easier hold under a tap. There is also a system that collects any pieces of scale that form in the water tank and allows for them to be removed easily. Its too soon to know how well this works, but living in an area with very hard water its a nice extra that will be appreciated if it does as advertised.

Overall I would probably award it a solid four stars for being user friendly were it not for one oversight. For some reason, having done everything else right, Philips have decided to fit the iron with a power cable that is far too short, making it awkward to iron unless you're standing right next to a power socket.

This is such a basic but fundamental flaw that I feel its only fair to knock a whole star off my overall rating for the iron, bringing it down from a solid 'I Like It' four to a 'Its Okay' three. Were it a cheap, disposable unit I could put such a design flaw down to understandable penny pinching by the manufacturer, but considering that the Performer Steam Iron is priced and marketed as a premium product it comes across a major oversight. This is a shame, because its otherwise a decent, well built iron.
88 comments|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse