4.0 out of 5 stars A great, easy to use iron - would recommend
I have a Bosch Steam Generating iron, which at first seemed great and powerful but now I'm fed up of how heavy and awkward it is. This Philips Azur irons just as well as the Bosch iron, if not better. I ironed a linen dress which is tricky to get crease free. This iron worked wonders on it's creases.

The cord length was fine for me (*see update below*) and I...
Published 4 months ago by PD

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally Solid But With One Significant Flaw
Reviewing something as functional and pedestrian as an iron can be a tricky proposition. After all, what can you really say about an iron. Does it smooth clothes well? Does it generate sufficient amounts of steam? An iron that didn't do both those things really wouldn't deserve to be on the market, so they sought of go without saying.

Therefore what you...
Published 2 months ago by C. Green

4.0 out of 5 stars A great, easy to use iron - would recommend, 20 Aug 2014
PD (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips GC4521/87 Azur Performer Steam Iron - 200g Steam Boost, Safety Auto Off, 2600 Watt, Black (Kitchen & Home)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The cord length was fine for me (*see update below*) and I liked the clip that attached to your ironing board and lets you guide the cord through. It then ensures the cord doesn't get in your way of ironing.

It heats up extremely quickly (within two minutes) and glides effortlessly. It's an attractive looking iron, one of the nicest I've seen.

It comes with a calc clean tray which is like a toaster tray. You just pop it open and empty out the scales. You still have to claim out the iron using the calc clean button every month. Probably more often, if like me, you live in a hard water area.

You can fill it straight from the tap but I would have still liked a little jug type container to use as I don't like walking about with a hot iron when it runs out of steam. No biggie though, as I can just use an empty water bottle or similar to top it up.

I'd recommend this iron to others.

UPDATE AFTER A FEW MORE USES:
Loses a star due to:
I would still recommend this iron but would warn about the cord length. The first few times I used it I had no problems as my ironing board was literally next to the socket. Today I was ironing and the board was about 75cm away from the wall. I found that to reach the end of my ironing board I really had to stretch the cord to iron items such as shirts. At one point I ended up pulling the plug out of the socket! I have realised that my ironing board needs to be positioned quite close to the wall socket, 50cm or less. If this will be an issue for you may want to purchase a different iron with a longer cord length or use an extension wire.

3.0 out of 5 stars Generally Solid But With One Significant Flaw, 30 Sep 2014
C. Green "happily low brow" (Quenington, Glos, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Therefore what you have to focus on are the added extras. In the case of the Philips Performer Steam Iron they are build quality and how user friendly it is. In the case of the former I really can't fault it. It feels solid and well built from decent materials. Nothing feels flimsy or cheap.

When it comes to how user friendly it is, some trouble seems to have been taken to make life easier for the user. For example, the water filler cap cover hinges sideways, so that you can fill the iron when its being held horizontally, making it easier hold under a tap. There is also a system that collects any pieces of scale that form in the water tank and allows for them to be removed easily. Its too soon to know how well this works, but living in an area with very hard water its a nice extra that will be appreciated if it does as advertised.

Overall I would probably award it a solid four stars for being user friendly were it not for one oversight. For some reason, having done everything else right, Philips have decided to fit the iron with a power cable that is far too short, making it awkward to iron unless you're standing right next to a power socket.

This is such a basic but fundamental flaw that I feel its only fair to knock a whole star off my overall rating for the iron, bringing it down from a solid 'I Like It' four to a 'Its Okay' three. Were it a cheap, disposable unit I could put such a design flaw down to understandable penny pinching by the manufacturer, but considering that the Performer Steam Iron is priced and marketed as a premium product it comes across a major oversight. This is a shame, because its otherwise a decent, well built iron.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steamy Windows, 27 Aug 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If this iron was a car it would be a luxury sports tourer. It has a sleek look to it, good performance and at the same time can also run the distance.

I always do my ironing in huge batches and can be ironing for several hours at a time, so it is important that the iron does the job efficiently and is light weight. This one ticks all the right boxes for me.

The iron fills easily and can be filled from a tap if you have space under it, if not you will need a jug (not supplied). It takes 300ml of water, which might sound a lot, but I use a lot of steam and can get through around 1.5 litres of water in a session, so I would have liked to have seen a bigger water tank (though not a downside to the iron). A big 2600 watt element will have the iron up to operating temperature in no time

There is the customary dial under the handle to give you a range of temperatures. At first I thought it was faulty as the clicking sound stops and feels different at certain points, but this is just informing you that you are at different garment settings. There is also a choice of no steam to lots of steam and if you are feeling fruity, a boost of super steamy. through a few sessions of ironing, the high steam setting was enough to get the creases out of all my wash. Don't forget to open a window or you may get a visit from the condensation gremlin and mould goblin.

The sole plate is peppered with steam vents, not like some irons that only have them near the tip, so the whole plate is working for you. The plate itself has a lovely smooth finish that glides across the washing. I did partially melt a hidden logo and it stuck to the plate (who puts plastic logos on the inside of a T-Shirt!). However, like a quality teflon pan, the melted goo just flaked off when the iron cooled down later.

The iron itself s comfortable in the hand and doesn't weigh too heavily which helps with shoulder fatigue in my marathon ironing session. There are safety features built in should you leave the iron on and not move it. You also get a rather ingenious cord guide. My ironing board has a steel plate to rest the iron on and the cord often gets caught in the gap between this and the board. The cord guide clips to the board and a tube smoothly feeds the mains cable in and out as you move around. Why didn't someone tell me about this years ago?

So far I haven't had any spitting or muddy water being thrown out of the iron, although it is still fairly new. There is a scale plug at the heel which collects bits when the iron is stood up. Periodically you need to pull it free and clean it out. This is a neat way of keeping the iron from clogging up and hopefully prevent the spitting from ever occurring.

Bottom line: A bit of a hefty price tag (currently £76), but you do get a top quality iron for this that cuts down on ironing time with impressive results. Not quite as fast at ironing as a steam generator iron, but it is a lot cheaper not as bulky to store, fires up in just a few minutes and not far behind the steam performance of the steam generators.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great iron, but the chord is considerably shorter than ..., 15 Sep 2014
Rory (UK) - See all my reviews
Great iron, but the chord is considerably shorter than my last Philips iron. What a pity that Philips have tried to save a few pence by shortening the chord, making it much more difficult to use this great iron to its full potential.

4.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary looking iron that steams like a dream..., 20 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At last – an iron which isn’t white!! The stealthy black Azur looks very modern sitting on the ironing board before it’s even heated up! Aesthetics aside, how does the iron actually perform? Well, not surprisingly for the price you’re paying, it’s fab (if ironing can indeed be described as fab!)

It heats up very quickly (just over 2 minutes by my calculations) and is very smooth indeed. I will add that all irons straight out of the box seem to be smooth in my house, until I’ve ironed something I shouldn’t and the plate gets covered in a black sticky goo, but that’s just me! The steam power is very good indeed, making easy work of troublesome shirts which normally crease just by looking at them.

I live in a hard water area and love the descale facility (I just need to remember to empty it from time to time!) and the guide that stops the cord from being run over or strangling the cat is a great idea – I don’t know why more manufacturers don’t supply one.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the cord is a tad on the short side, but it's not that bad really unless you can't get your ironing board close to a power socket.

All in all a great iron. Although you can buy far, far cheaper irons, I’m hoping that this one will give me a long service and pay for itself eventually.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tremendous iron., 1 Oct 2014
Dr. Michael Heron (Robert Gordon University) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
his is the best iron I have ever used.

Having traded up from an entry-level iron to a nice enough £40-odd pound one that got the job done, I wasn't convinced that spending an extra £20 - 30 on a higher-end iron would make much difference. However, I got offered this one through Vine and decided to give it a go. How wrong I was.

This iron is amazing. The best thing about it is that it is so smooth. Really smooth. It glides much more easily and feels lighter than previous irons I have used. This isn't because it is lighter really, but because the base plate is so good.

The steam settings work well. There are no issues with water drippage, or clothes ending up damp because the iron had to spurt out a big chunk of steam at once, like has happened to me with other irons. This iron does the job very well and makes ironing less of a chore.

I have a couple of minor niggles with the iron. It (mine anyway) came without a wee plastic jug to fill it - this is standard for all irons I have had before and I felt a little inconvenienced by this. Secondly, it is hard to see whether you have it filled to max or not, because the colour of the see-through bit is not very see-through. You can see when it is about half full, but get it near max and you can no longer clearly see where the water line is. Finally, the cable would benefit from being longer. However, none of these niggles prevent it being worth 5 stars for the actual purpose it was invented for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled with this Iron, 23 Sep 2014
M. Young "M. Young" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having been bound to my previous steam iron which was now on its last legs, it was with some reluctance that I swopped to the Phillips Azur Performer Plus but I am not disappointed.

It's a smart looking iron with an amazing sole plate that glides over shirts with ease. It produces plenty of steam ( it has an automatic system dependant on the garment being ironed) and does a great job ironing out the wrinkles in jeans and heavy trousers. It initially felt heavy after my previous iron but is so easy to use that it wasn't an issue. The water for the steam does need replacing fairly frequently but it's no big deal and very easy to do.

I love the fact that it will switch itself off if inadvertently left on. It also has an easy to use calc clean system.

The other great feature is a cord tidy which clips on to the ironing board and keeps the generous cord at a distance when ironing. i love this feature. In summary, I would highly recommend this iron and think the price is justified.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, 10 Sep 2014
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As irons go, this is one of the most effective I have ever used, even on the ‘eco’ steam option. Steam generation is noticeable although not to the extent that you feel as though you are in a sauna, just enough to get the job done – well. It’s also pretty quiet so you can watch TV with ease whilst doing one of the least loved household chores.

I used the iron in each of the following modes:

• Dry – no steam but still an effective result with minimal effort.

• Eco – an energy-saving option with less visible steam generated but linen and thick cotton were crease-free with ease.

• Auto-steam – more visible steam (not enough to steam up the windows) and an effortless glide through the rest of the ironing pile with the amount of steam automatically varied according to the temperature setting.

• Boost – an extra burst of steam (manually controlled by a trigger on the underside of the handle) for any areas where a little extra help is needed, such as when you’ve ironed a crease into something.

• Spray – a fine moistening action if certain linen shirts have been left in the basket for longer than they should…

It’s an iron that is comfortable to use for a few hours at a time and not so heavy that it makes your wrist ache, even if you are faced with a gigantic pile of ironing. The automatic steam generation appears to work successfully as does the eco option and for most items the latter was all that was needed along with an occasional boost of steam.

I do have two criticisms:

• A measuring jug would have been useful to ensure the iron isn’t overfilled (none is supplied).

• A longer mains lead would have made life a lot easier. Even though I iron right next to a socket, the iron only just reached to the end of the board, which made shirt ironing a little trickier than necessary.

Overall it’s a very good iron that has an almost perfect balance of weight to avoid aching wrists whilst still flattening out those creases. I found the automatic and eco steam settings worked very well and whilst I doubt I will ever enjoy doing the ironing, it was certainly bearable with this; with a slightly longer lead it would have been near perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes ironing almost pleasant, 31 Aug 2014
Asphodelia (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My old Tefal iron is at least 13 years old, but it still works. Therefore it had never crossed my mind to replace it, until I was offered the chance to try the Azur. I thought that maybe a newer iron might help me improve my ironing skills (which are very basic - my mother would be appalled). Well, what a difference a new iron makes - ironing is so much easier! The biggest improvements I noticed are as follows:

- The Azure glides over the fabric really, really smoothly, which means fewer ironed-in creases and and much faster and more pleasant experience;

- The temperature selection seems to be very accurate, and I never had to re-adjust it after starting;

- The auto-steam function is superb, but even the ‘eco’ setting produced plenty of steam to very good results;

- The ‘steam boost’ function is in a really convenient and easy place, i.e. under the handle, so you just have to squeeze with your fingers without awkward stops to press other buttons;

- The precision tip is absolutely brilliant to iron out unruly hems, sleeves, awkward collars and pleats.

- The safety off function will give real peace of mind to anyone who, like me, will leave the house endlessly worrying about having turned the iron off (even if I know that I’ve put the ironing board away and unplugged the iron itself);

- The cord guide avoids annoying snags of the cord and prevents you (or your pet) from tripping on it.

- As usual, Phillips provide a very good instructions manual which will answer all your questions.

- I have yet to try the deep clean self-descale function but it’s a very welcome one to have, because I live in an area of very hard water.

I only found a couple of negative points to highlight: as other reviewers have pointed out, the cord isn’t very long so you will need to be close to a power socket, or use an extension cable. And the manufacturers could have included a small jug to fill the iron water tank (as it goes, I use the one provided with my old Tefal). But aside from that, this is an excellent product which makes something as dull as ironing almost pleasant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Performing Iron, 29 Aug 2014
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My quest to find the perfect iron continues with this snazzy little number.

It looks good, I like the fact that it's black and looks a little different to the usual white with pastel coloured bits. I do like the Philips brand and this iron doesn't disappoint at all, although I do feel that it's quite pricey, but if you have loads of ironing to do, it's probably better to spend a little more to get a decent product.

This irons very well and unlike some other fairly expensive irons, it's really light and easy to handle, with a great 'slide' to the plate and easy to get around buttons and awkward bits. There are different heat and steam settings which is useful for various types of materials, and it even has a vertical steam function too.

There's a nifty little thing here - a chamber that collects any scale that is formed by the water, this should prevent those yucky white bits getting all over your clothes when you are ironing. So far, this works well, I hope it continues.

I like the fact that the iron has a safety feature, it switches itself off if left unused for a period of time which is handy if the phone rings, or you have to go off and deal with something - the iron is not going to overheat whilst you are away from it.

The water tank is a good size and easy to fill, although there isn't a jug included - saying that, I always use my own kitchen jug to fill the iron as the little ones that are supplied are always tiny.

Quite a short cable which could be a problem, depending on how far away your plug socket is from your board, but I guess an extension could be used, and it's not a problem for me personally.

On the whole, this is a great iron and I'd certainly recommend it.