5.0 out of 5 stars This book was gripping reading from first to last page.
Published on 22 Mar 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrified!
Published 27 days ago by Mme Shirley Rowson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was gripping reading from first to last page., 22 Mar 2000
By A Customer
As a fan of Rosie Thomas's fiction works I was browsing Amazon in search of one I had not read. I spotted this and was intrigued. Once I began reading I found that the book was almost un- put-down-able! I reluctantly found myself turning out my light at night. I wanted to reach the end to find out if Rosie and Phil did, but could not bear the thought of finishing such a gripping read. The book combines the features of a travelogue, including detailed pictures of places passed through, with the excitement of an adventure novel.Throw in the autobiographical detail, written with soul searching introspection, and you have a refreshing combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Border crossing., 24 May 2014
This review is from: Border Crossing (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book and didn't want it to come to an end. I've really enjoyed all Rosie Thomas books I've read so far, brilliant author in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon adventures, 8 Nov 2004
AmazonReviewer100 (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I have a Volvo Amazon, not because I knew the author's work. Notwithstanding the gripping narrative (and I'm tempted to read her other work now), I found much of interest in the descriptions of the car problems, which are familiar to all owners, and the mechanical preparation with Tony the 'arch' Amazon expert. I love my Amazon, but I don't think I would after that journey. Well done, Rosie!

5.0 out of 5 stars an 'unputdownable' book!!, 28 Sep 2005
Katie (Norwich. U.K) - See all my reviews
The author takes part in this extremely demanding race. I didn't realise what privations one had to encounter until I read it. Rosie suffered from difficult feminine health problems to the extent that she almost had to throw in the towel at several stages. It becomes a testament to the courage & staying power of a formidable lady. A really good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, 27 Jun 2014
This review is from: Border Crossing (Kindle Edition)
An interesting well written account.There is more about people and their behaviour under the stress of the rally than about the scenery.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but thought provoking, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: Border Crossing (Kindle Edition)
I was unsure whether I would enjoy this book as it was not the usual Rosie Thomas that I expected. However I was hooked on the descriptions of her journey on the one hand while being horrified on the other at the moral issue of obviously hedonistic people racing through small local villages and tearing across countries with little care about anything except booking in on time. It was a great achievement for her and her experiences well documented and good reading. However it left me with an uncomfortable feeling and a subject for discussion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Horrified!, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Border Crossing (Kindle Edition)
I love Rosie Thomas's novels so bought this for my Kindle without realising its subject matter. In her 40s, with no experience or training, she enters the Peking to Paris car rally with a man she hardly knows, leaving behind her husband and two teenage children, one of whom has his 18th birthday while she is away. To make matters worse, she then becomes ill during the rally, putting her life at risk and endangering her partner and others on the rally because she refuses to fly home. Incredibly irresponsible and selfish behaviour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific story, and it's all true!, 17 Aug 2014
L. Levey (Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Border Crossing (Kindle Edition)
Not your usual Rosie Thomas romp but a terrific story. I was a little put off as I don't 'do' cars/sport, but this is so much more. It's basically the story of Rosie Thomas and her rally partner competing in the Beijing/Paris rally. The rally travels through China, Tibet, Kathmandu and onwards westward, showing an interesting insight into the differing Eastern cultures. The characters and relationships are beautifully drawn as only Rosie Thomas does. If you enjoy Rosie Thomas books, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Petrol heads, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Border Crossing (Kindle Edition)
A good read not my usual choice for a travel book ,and I guess different for the author to write. I think there is one fictional theme running throughout the story ,read it and see if you agree sorry Rosie

5.0 out of 5 stars Many borders to cross, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Border Crossing (Kindle Edition)
I thought it a fascinating read and was with Rosie all the way. I was very worried for her at times such as when she had problems getting her visa for China and could have cried over her health problems. There were also, too, times when I laughed. The descriptions of each of the countries the rally passed through made you feel you were there with them. I was unsure whether I was going to enjoy the book as, although I drove for many years, I know very little about cars but I was so interested every time there was a problem and silently urged them on to reach Paris. It is a true story and anyone looking for a salacious read won't find it here.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›