5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, insightful, informative and totally unique....
... I couldn't put it down. While it offers an insider view of the probation service it does so in a sensitive, illuminating and brilliantly amusing way. I'm a first time reader of this author and will definitely be on the search for any other publications.
Published 12 months ago by c l findon

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight
Published 4 months ago by bristol bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, insightful, informative and totally unique...., 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: RISK OF HARM TO OTTERS: A Probation Officer's Diary (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 31 Mar. 2014
Really great read. I enjoyed every page . I will look forward to reading more from this gifted author soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars like me, you hope to be a probation officer, 7 July 2014
Bought this on my kindle. Very interesting read and informative if, like me, you hope to be a probation officer. Kind of takes the shine off it! :-) Easy to read, good writing style... I wanted to hear more stories from Lois!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 4 Jun. 2014
an amazing look into the life and work of a probation officer in the British justice system. join Lois as she works in a variety of settings and with a wide variety of clients

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant!!, 12 May 2014
A real super good read, well written and put together to make very interesting and funny book.
Thank you for a glimpse into your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 12 April 2014
Until I read this book, I really had no idea what being a Probation Officer entailed. I was fascinated by the case studies and the way Lois has written it makes it a great read. Though I found some of it rather disturbing it was necessary to have a real picture of the job. Some of it made me laugh too which made a nice contrast to the deeper bits.
I would recommend this book to any adult - whether associated with the Probation Service or not - as it is very thoughtfully put together and feels like the author really cares about her work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 1 April 2014
I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone who loves an interesting read. It is a wonderfully written book, which has both funny points and sad points.

I found it very captivating and couldn't help but dive head - first into the life of Lois, desperate to find out what was going to happen next, both with Lois, and in the case of each separate character in the book.

Overall, this book is well worth the read. I couldn't put it down. 5 stars for sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a challenging job!, 4 April 2014
I haven't finished this yet but am finding it fascinating so decided to review it immediately.

I was warned it would be gritty in places and it is, but that's the trouble with real life.

I really struggle with how I feel about these people in the stories. I can't understand how people can do such stuff, but feel without knowing their backgrounds and all they have had to deal with, I'm not in a position to judge. Even knowing more, you can't see the future so it must be really hard to be making the decisions the probation officers have to make.

I do recommend this book for adults who aren't too squeamish. I can't decide how I would feel about recommending it to a younger person thinking about choosing such work for their future. As with so many things it would have to depend on the person.

5.0 out of 5 stars this diary was a great insight into the job, 8 Oct. 2014
As someone who is about to join the Probation Service, this diary was a great insight into the job. I hope that the author writes more books such as this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting insight, 11 Dec. 2014
An interesting, but ultimately, a somewhat depressing insight into the probation service. Worth a read for the insider's view of our legal system, but not a book to fill the heart of the right minded citizen with joy. The author gave me the comforting impression that she was a lot more right-minded than many of the do-gooders in the social and legal services, and this saved the book.