5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Conclusion!
Published 6 months ago by MeeksC

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoorah for Haydn
I hadn’t read the first book but reading through previous reviews it didn’t seem to be essential. As a couple I found Charlie & Julia unconvincing – where was the love between them? They never seemed to have a chance to talk and I couldn’t help feel that now they had their son back they should have been ecstatic; they kept so much from each...
Published 3 months ago by Misty Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Conclusion!, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
Several years ago I read Little Miracles by GIselle Green. Like many others, it seems, who read the book whilst I enjoyed it and drew my own conclusions from the ending I was definitely left wanting more. When I heard that it seemed Giselle agreed and had written a sequel I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it and see if my conclusions were reflected in her story (I downloaded it the day it was released!)
Yet again the story had me from the outset. Julia and Charlie are delighted to have their 2 year old son back a year after he disappeared on a Spanish beach, presumed drowned or kidnapped by many. However there are still so many unanswered questions. Julia and Charlie's marriage was pushed to breaking point during Hadyn's disappearance. Can they finally get back on track and forgive each other for mistakes made by both of them? Whilst they are thrilled to have brought Hadyn home, he seems disturbed and withdrawn. What happened to the little boy whilst he was missing?
This time I was drawn into the story really quickly. Perhaps because of circumstances in my own extended family I picked up very quickly what was going on with little Hadyn. Despite having a good idea of what might be going on I loved how this book played out and I promise you this time it is all tied up beautifully.
Whilst I loved re-reading Little Miracles the week before Finding You was released and watching the whole story unfold from start to finish Finding You also works perfectly well as a standalone story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this author., 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
Julia and Charlie's son Hadyn has been missing for a year. He is two and a half when he is found and returned to them. Julia never stopped searching for him and it caused so much stress between her and Charlie that they parted for a while.
Julia feels something is just not right with her son,she thinks he may be missing the woman he was living with but Charlie will not listen to her, he thinks Hadyn just needs time to adjust and he will soon forget the year he wasn't with them. Julie knows she has missed some of her child's milestones but he doesn't seem to remember her or his dad. All Julia wants to do is cuddle her child but Hadyn is unresponsive.
The abduction took place in Spain when Julia and Charlie were staying with Charlie's family and after finding their child they had to wait in Spain until the authorities had closed the abduction case.

I felt extremely sorry for Julia, she was so alone in her thoughts, getting no help from Charlie's family in fact I felt as though there was a conspiracy against her and that someone knew why or how Hayden had been abducted.
Charlie's Spanish ex girlfriend wanted him back in her life and was laying seeds of doubt in Julia's mind as to what went on during her separation from Charlie.

I enjoyed this book although it tugged at the heartstrings. I think we all wonder what happens when a taken child is returned to his or her parents. What happens behind closed doors when the fuss has died down and do the children settle or do they miss their captives? Is it all happy ever after,or do problems lie ahead?
The story is told from both Julia and Charlie's point of view and I found myself wishing they could each know what the other was thinking and feeling.

I read this as a stand alone book although it is a sequel to Little Miracles which is the story of Haydn being taken. I now want to read the first book as I'm interested in what the relationship between Julia and Charlie was like before their son disappeared. In Finding You they seemed to be treading on eggshells with each other. Throughout the book I was very suspicious of Charlie's Spanish family so I want to go back and find out if I was right.
There is a heart stopping moment near the end of the book when Julia follows what her heart is telling her even although heartbreak could lie ahead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four and a half stars, really..., 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
This novel picks up on the story left open at the end of 'Little Miracles', in which Hadyn, a young toddler vanishes. I'm glad I had previously read it, but this one can be read as a standalone. It starts a few months after Hadyn is back with his parents Charlie and Julia; yet life is not proving easy for any of them.

The narration is split between Charlie and Julia, each writing in the first person. Julia’s perspective helped me to empathise strongly with her as a mother who slowly realised that all was not well with her son. Charlie, meanwhile, is torn between his professional life as a surgeon and trying to support Julia emotionally.

This novel is very well put together, with various threads unfolding gradually, alongside some delving into Charlie’s past. The characterisation is excellent, and I found myself empathising strongly with Julia in particular. One or two scenes even brought a tear to my eye.

There were times when I felt there was a tad too much introspection, as one or other of the protagonists pondered recent events, but that's partly because I was so eager to find out what was going to happen next, and partly because I had already worked out why Hadyn wasn't adjusting to being back home.. and wished I could have had a quick word with his parents!

By the time I was about three-quarters of the way through this book, I couldn’t put it down. I had to neglect everything else to finish it. There is a satisfactory and conclusive ending, which might seem too neat and tidy to some readers, but which I approved of thoroughly.

All in all, I would recommend ‘Finding You’ highly to anyone who enjoys this kind of character-driven thoughtful novel, whether or not you have read the previous one. I would give it four-and-a-half stars if I could.

Initially published in e-book format only, but should be available in paperback later in the year.

(Written after reading Advance Review Copy)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars Plus!, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
This amazing book follows the story of Charlie and Julia who work to rebuild their lives when Haydn their son who went missing for a year returns as a two year old. There is no need to read Little Miracles first, I read it so long ago I'd forgotten a lot of the details, but the necessary back story is fluidly filled in making 'Finding You' very much a stand alone book.

Not everything is as it seems in this beautifully written book which is narrated from both parents point of view. It's emotional ping pong, as not only do the couple have a troubled child, but their own relationship is in strife as well. Giselle Green delightfully unfolds details of the characters in a way that left me constantly changing my perception of them.

Finding You will touch the heart of any parent, especially ones with a child they have to work a lot harder to help find the right path in life for. It's engaging, sad, funny and at times so painfully honest it made me feel raw inside. I really went on a journey with the characters and loved every minute of it. I'm a big Giselle Green fan and couldn't recommend her latest book any more highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The multi-layered dynamics of family life..., 6 Aug 2014
jaffareadstoo (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
Some years ago I read and enjoyed this author’s book, Little Miracles, which focused on the story of a missing child and of the overwhelming trauma of what happened to the child’s family in the wake of this devastating loss. In Finding You, the author revisits the parents a year later, when Julia and Charlie are reunited with their son, Haydn. But far from finding the reunion joyous both parents struggle with not just to their reaction to be part of a family again, but also with the gut wrenching heartbreak of having a beloved child , who is yours and seemingly, by reason of circumstance, not yours. No one can fully understand what happened to Haydn during his abduction and both Julia and Charlie are left with feelings of utter isolation, which is not helped by other forces playing their part.

I think the author excels in developing the characters to such an extent that they become real in your mind, and their problems become genuine and believable. I can’t say that I always liked either Julia or Charlie but they’re interesting people and with sensitive handing this epic family tragedy, which threatens both their marriage and peace of mind, becomes quite compelling reading. Undeniably, there are many issues explored in Finding You, all of which tug away at the heartstrings, but with the author’s sensitive handling, the issues never become mawkishly sentimental or too implausible to be realistic.

I think to do justice to Finding You, one really should read Little Miracles first, as some of the more subtle nuances of the story would be almost impossible to pick up, and that would be to do both stories a complete disservice, as they should be read in sequence.

I enjoyed both stories and would recommend them as an interesting look at the multi-layered dynamics of family life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotional family drama., 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
The sequel to Finding You and although it stands perfectly well alone if you have not read 'Little Miracles' personally I felt that I got much more from the story knowing what had gone on before. Sadly children disappearing is a fact of life these days and we all know the cases that have received a lot of media attention in recent years. Reading this emotional family drama and its prequel you cannot help but find yourself thinking of these incidents.

As the novel opens Julia and Charlie are delirious with happiness to have their son Haydn back with them. He had disappeared from a beach in Spain a year previously and they had been terrified that he would never be found alive. The three of them are trying to readjust to family life which brings its own problems for them all. Julia and Charlie both alternate in recounting the storyline, which adds to the interest and understanding of how both partners react differently to the situations they are presented with. Life is definitely not turning out as it should be for them as it seems that the abduction has affected Hadyn far more than the couple realise. Will they be able to return to the happy family life they had together before all this, or will it be impossible to move on? No spoilers from me so you will have to read the novel if you are interested in finding out about all the issues they faced and if they can be resolved.

As mentioned in earlier reviews, Giselle Green is an author that I wish I had discovered way back in 2008, when her her first novel Pandora's Box was published. So many books and so little time meant that unfortunately I did not read it until a few months ago! Making up for lost time now I am catching up and enjoying her writing style, enough to say that I would now recommend her to anyone that appreciates stories with a moral basis. I have seen her referred to as the UK's answer to Jodi Picoult, there are similarities, the strongest being that both of them cover emotive issues in their novels. The motive storylines are a reason that she is an author that is a good choice for Book Club selection as her novels evoke a whole range of subjects for discussion. Apart from being a recommended read for fans of Jodi Picoult and contemporary fiction, any parent will also empathise strongly with the storyline.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suz, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
Part two o an epic tale. Again i am stuck what to say about this book without writing for hours and boring you to death ro letting every spoiler out. Suffice to say if you liked 'Little Miracle' you need to read this book. The gripping story unfolds and takes you on a journey like no other! Seriously... go buy the book...and at £2.99 for kindle edition you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and Poignant, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
It's hard to underestimate how difficult it is to make characters actually breathe and live through a story that is so emotive and so charged with angst. However, Giselle has pulled it off. Alongside the narrative, she has engaged her readers by allowing us to be a part of the thoughts and feelings of the two main characters. Giselle's writing almost reads like a 'stream of consciousness' at times, alternating between Haydn's two bereft and confused parents. It draws the reader into the whirlpool. Giselle also paints a picture of an issue that touches the lives of so many families. Her treatment of the topic is insightful and poignant in equal measures. Which topic? I'll leave you to read and discover...

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
I loved coming back to the familiar characters of Little Miracles so much, I couldn't put Finding You down until the very last page and was then all too sad that it was all over again. Julia will always be one of my favourite protagonists, she is far from perfect but she is so incredibly real in these books.
Without wanting to give too much away- Finding You is the next chapter, I think all readers of Little Miracles will be delighted with it. It is such a satisfying read and leaves you with much to think about - how fragile we all are - our lives, our relationships and our understanding of those around us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the read, 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: Finding You (Kindle Edition)
I have read this book out of 'sequence' not realising that there was a book which 'led up' to the events in this novel. That said, the work stands up to being a 'stand alone' story and not having read the first book does not, in my opinion, detract from reading this one. With echoes of the Madeleine McCann case (although with a happier outcome) this book challenges the reader to face up to realities of the modern world. The characters are strong and identifiable but their human weaknesses are what gives the book its strength. I had never read Giselle Green before but will do so again.

Finding You