Format: DVD|Change

on 8 June 2014
The Crimson Field is an amazing, well written story from Sarah Phelps about the role of VADs during WWI. BBCOne has sold this short, producing only 6 episodes. Phelps does a wonderful job to entice viewers to want to know more about each of the main characters. Richard Rankin does a masterful job portraying Thomas Gillan, surgeon, and Oona Chaplain does an equally wonderful job with character Kitty Trevelyan. Suranne Jones leaves you heart broken for her character Sister Livesey. I highly recommend purchasing the DVD set and hope that eventually a second series can be produced.
on 5 June 2014
I must admit that once the series was finished, I went on the internet to see if by any chance there was a planned second series. No such luck, at least,not so far. I hope the producers do another. The terrible things that happen to people in the war are all present in The Crimson Field but it is done with such care that you feel you want to put out your hand and touch the people wounded and the people taking care of them. Really wonderful and the Actors are perfect for their roles.
on 28 April 2014
Great TV Series so far. The plots are nicely coming together with a few surprises and twists along the way. Well produced and acted.

After the last episode I finish my review by adding one single and simple word to sum the series up. That word is: Excellent!
on 5 July 2014
Managed to watch the first two episodes whilst in the U.K. and couldn't wait to get the whole series on my return to Australia. Having a father serving on the Western Front in W.W.1 and wounded and looked after by medical staff such as portrayed in this wonderful series, I just loved this DVD. Get it and immerse yourself in a tragic era now a century ago!
A very good tale with some good acting. I thought the 'traitorous' story-line excellent as this type of story was not unheard of in the years after the war. The nastiness between the various staff was also not unlike what I have read about this aspect of the war. I think it lines up well for a 5 star second series that this one just failed to acheive
on 2 December 2015
a thought-provoking interpretation of the behind the lines hospitals and the dedicated nurses who had to deal with the awful injuries, both physical and mental, that the soldiers suffered. This is an excellent story and I was completely involved with the nursing staff and their difficulties and problems - I would love to see this series continue.
on 21 April 2014
I keep reading negative reviews constantly about this show but I'm really enjoying it. It may not be completely factually accurate but it certainly illustrates the horror that was world war one.
on 30 September 2015
A good slice of our history but i got slightly bored from time to time......I prefer the anzac girls which is gripping. Beautiful costumes and locations and excellent acting, a true hommage to the everyday heroes (women or men) of the great war and the growing role of the women in a man's world ie the army.
on 12 April 2015
This video was everything I wanted it to be and more, superbly acted by top actors and a decent script and storyline. While in places it may not have been historically correct it was a drama not a documentary. On the whole very very good top marks to sarah Phelps for writing it.
on 28 July 2014
Wonderful DVD about WW1 - my daughter was unable to watch the TV version which I enjoyed tremendously - if you missed it too - do buy the DVD - my daughter was so grateful I bought it for her to watch - you will enjoy it too