5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping viewing !!!!.
I could hardly wait for this to be released on DVD as I live in New Zealand and was unable to watch it on TV here.
My granddaughter and I watched the whole series in two evenings and in some parts we were on the edge of our seats !!
. It was nice to be able to explain certain aspects of the horrors of the Great War to my granddaughter. She was fascinated...
Published 3 months ago by anne f

3.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey on the Western Front
Three posh nursing volunteers enter the hell that is WW One. Under heavy bombardment by cliche and stereotype, some strong actors (notably Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter, Oona Chaplin) do their best to capture a few yards of muddy ground. Is it worth this tragic loss of young lives?

Watch for yourselves and find out. This is good entertainment after a tiring...
Published 4 months ago by Enthusiast

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping viewing !!!!., 29 May 2014
This review is from: The Crimson Field [DVD] (DVD)
and and appalled at the same time. I loved the nursing uniforms, they looked so smart, and of course the actors were superb
at making it all come to life. It was a sad part of history, and those brave young men who laid down their lives and fought for their country must never be forgotten. I hope there will be a series 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoying the series, 27 April 2014
This review is from: The Crimson Field [DVD] (DVD)
The series is really good and whilst it may not show the true and full horrors of WW1, I feel that the right balance has been struck. Well worth getting this DVD, I certainly will be.

4.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Crimson Field [DVD] (DVD)
I really am shocked that the BBC has axed this. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Good story lines, good acting and well written. It certainly gave us an insight into another aspect of WWI - the role of the medical corps and the young women volunteers. I'm sorry that there won't be another series as I understand the writer, Sarah Phelps, had planned it out right through to 1918 over a further three series. Great shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shaping up very nicely..., 28 April 2014
This review is from: The Crimson Field [DVD] (DVD)
Great TV Series so far. The plots are nicely coming together with a few surprises and twists along the way. Well produced and acted.

After the last episode I finish my review by adding one single and simple word to sum the series up. That word is: Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed it, so glad I got it, 25 July 2014
This review is from: The Crimson Field [DVD] (DVD)
I did not get chance to watch this on tv,so bought the dvd .I thoroughly enjoyed it,so glad I got it.The story of a group of nurses who arrive at a world war 1 field hospital is a good drama,emotional and heartbreaking.It makes you think how people coped with such devastation and insecurity in their lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harshly treated in the press., 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Crimson Field [DVD] (DVD)
I keep reading negative reviews constantly about this show but I'm really enjoying it. It may not be completely factually accurate but it certainly illustrates the horror that was world war one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Crimson Field [DVD] (DVD)
Really enjoyed this for the acting (especially Oona Chaplin), the period details, and the historical accuracy. This is something that the whole family can watch together and then talk about how much has/has not changed in the world since WWI, such as the roles of women, class structure, and the eternal us-versus-them mentality that governments try to foster in times of war. Minimal on-screen violence is shown; it's more about the psychological and of course physical consequences of battle and warfare. Are there a second and third series? I hope so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Acted WWI Drama!, 31 May 2014
James W. Peterson "Sixshooter" (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crimson Field [DVD] (DVD)
You knew from the title is was going to be a bit depressing but this was a well written series with excellent acting and good story lines. I only gave it four stars because I wouldn't want to watch it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must see if you love World War 1 and 2 DVDs or period dramas!, 14 July 2014
E. K. Gonzalez "Liz" (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crimson Field [DVD] (DVD)
We don't often have programmes/films on WW1, it's more often WW2 so it was nice to see a side of World War 1. You don't often see the hospital side of things and what's more you don't often see such an injustice side of things either!! I would have liked to have seen more of this it was so good. Parts of it were gripping. This was a great series. A thumbs up from me that's for sure!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 13 July 2014
Dirk van Leeuwen "dlw" (Antwerp, Belgium) - See all my reviews
Good series

The Crimson Field [DVD]
The Crimson Field [DVD] by Thaddeus O'Sullivan (DVD - 2014)