on 4 April 2014
Balanced on the Blade's Edge tells the story of Sardelle Terushan a healer who wakes up to discover that several hundred years have passed and that everyone she knew is dead and that her beloved home has been turned into prison-camp mine and Colonel Ridge Zirkander who is placed in charge of the same prison camp just as a woman is murdered for suspected magic use, mysterious enemy and an even stranger bird attack the fort and a woman no-one recognizes and of whom there is no record, appears out of nowhere.

This is yet another intreging and absorbing fantasy world from this superb author. I read Balanced on the Blade's Edge in less than a day and I sincerely hope that she writes more in this world and with these characters in the future.
on 31 March 2014
I am a huge fan of the author and have read all of the books in her Emperor’s Edge series and all in her Flash Gold Chronicles to date. I will read anything she write so when I saw her blog post about this book I was instantly thinking, “I need this now!”

Lindsay is a genius at blending action, steampunk and romance into her books and they are easy to read and very addictive. (I read the last four books in The Emperor’s Edge series back to back so I could find out how it all ended.)

This is set in a prison and centres around it’s new head, Ridge Zirkander, after he caused some political problems back in the city with his attitude. To me, he sounds like a laugh. The female lead, Sardelle, has just awoken after 300 years and finds herself within the prison walls. There is a sort of instant attraction between them which Ridge tries to ignore as he doesn’t believe it a good thing to get involved with inmates.

If you’re a fan of the author, this isn’t to be missed. If you’ve never read anything by her the first books in her Emperor’s Edge and Flash Gold Chronicles are free on Amazon.
on 3 April 2014
This book caused me major problems as once I started it I couldn't put it down. Usual problem .... never long enough.

It is based in a different setting in a different world but still you have the humour and wit associated her novels. The story starts off with Colonel Ridge Zirkanderin trouble (again) and this time, as a punishment, he was given a new command to be in charge of a prison fort up in the mountains. On the same day as he arrives there a strange woman is found in the mines under the fort - Sardelle Terushan a sorcerer who has been in stasis for 300 years. The story looks at their interaction along with how much has changed since Sardelle was last awake.

Another fantastic book from Lindsay Buroker but I feel she has added to her work load as I want to know how this couple's relationship's developes over the years and whether Sardelle and her powers are ever accepted by society.
on 31 March 2014
I was in the middle of another book when I got an email from Lindsay Buroker telling me this one was available. Having read just about everything she's written I decided to drop what I was reading and read this instead. As always Ms Buroker has written a fast paced adventure, this time centred around just two main characters from two very different backgrounds. A hallmark of Lindsay's writing is a strong female lead and a tendency for the characters to blow things up; this book keeps to form. Overall an enjoyable light read from an author I would recommend.
on 3 May 2015
This is a fun, frothy fantasy with enjoyable characters and interesting steam punk elements. I like how magic and science lock horns in this book - science being almost totally unaware that it stems from magic!

Sardelle is a great strong female character without giving up her femininity. Ridge is very likeable dispite his outwardly 'Lord Flasheart' exterior. Not much time is given to the other characters - enough to sketch them in - this really concentrates on the two MCs and doesn't leave you rooting for anyone else. In places this felt rushed and in others it was a little slow, so the pace was a bit uneven. Overall though, this was great fun. I'm tickled by the idea of Bi-planes being called 'Dragon Fliers' after the original mode of transportation (also I have a soft spot for those kinds of planes) and I found other aspects of magic and science meeting equally enjoyable.

My big niggle is that neither of the characters ever really feel like they are in danger. There's no jeopardy - I could safely go to sleep after reading before bed, knowing that all was well. On the other hand it makes for a restful read and if you like steampunk fantasy then this is for you.
on 15 December 2014
Too much romance for my taste...I would have liked more drama, more adventure, more flying, more renovating the mines and improving conditions for the mine prisoners...and less teenage type lust and sneaking off to make out...now there is 30% love...Too much! Otherwise fine, I like the world, and the swordblade...hope for more action from it in the next book!
on 2 February 2016
I downloaded this book because it was free and in all honesty like some other books that have been free, i didn't expect to enjoy it but i was in need of something to read so i did, and WOW im so happy i did. The book is not a genre i would normally read and yet as soon as i finished it i had to get the second and the third and now i have read them all and im onto more of her books. The characters are what drive these books for me, i had to know what happened to them. The world they find themselves in is interesting, the book moves at a good pace and is very well written and i love the r humour in dialogue between characters that at first i didn't think were anything special. Read this, its free (on kindle anyway) you won't be losing anything but if you are anything like me, you will be gaining a whole new world of books and a new fantastic author to add to your *fave* list.
on 8 May 2014
Lindsay does it again. A well crafted story with interesting characters, I just had to keep reading till the end and then found myself wanting more from the two main characters. I really and honestly always enjoy reading Lindsay 's stories.
on 26 April 2014
I really liked the main characters and the way they interacted with each other. A fun read with humour, a bit of romance and plenty of action. If you liked the Emperor's Edge series then you'll enjoy this just as much.
on 10 December 2015
Bookbub is my friend for introducing me to this magical world and to Ridge Zirkander, who I have fallen in love with from page one. And who couldn't? A chivalrous Ace Pilot who loves to read and to fix planes as well as fly them and brings you breakfast in bed! Sardelle is one lucky girl.

For a book series 'written on the fly' it is extremely enjoyable, I love my Steampunk and my aviators and I just can't put this down. It is one of those books I can easily envision having a copy for both the bedside table and the Kindle.

And now I'm off to read it again...